E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

10.25 inch android headunit installed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 01-10-2022, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,296 Likes on 886 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
I wonder if its even a licensed Android Automobile (which is not the same thing as Android Auto).. more likely, its the FOSS version of generic Android hacked by the anonymous developers.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:26 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
2011 E550 Cab
Originally Posted by Left Coast Geek
I wonder if its even a licensed Android Automobile (which is not the same thing as Android Auto).. more likely, its the FOSS version of generic Android hacked by the anonymous developers.
Who cares what it is, it works. It fills the need for those that want similar functionality of today's cars in a pre '16 Mercedes. Frankly, I'm surprised at the quality of the harness, connectors, and screen of how nice it is. It might be put together by a 10 year old in a Chinses enslavement camp, but they do good work. I'm extremely pleased with it.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:23 PM

2011 E550 Cab
Originally Posted by Dnasty
Hey, have been following this thread for a while and am considering getting one for my 2010 w207. Was wondering do these things work with the cars built mic and gps antenna? Or do I have to use the included stuff. Also has anyone installed a 12 inch wanted a big screen but didn’t want it to look crazy. Lastly is it worth to get the ones with advertised wireless CarPlay or is that something they can all do with a sub dongle.
@Dnasty you can use your car GPS antenna with a splitter, but the factory Comand has a double plug. I was going to go that route but decided to put the one they sent behind the A pillar cover so it isn't seen and gets great reception.

I selected Use OEM Bluetooth and my mic works. The only issue is when you are using CarPlay, the iPhone wants to use CarPlay bluetooth - the factory mic works but sound doesn't come through the speakers. You have to use a speaker they send. I didn't install the speaker and if I get a call while using CarPlay, I switch the phone to MB Bluetooth when I answer it. Only takes half a second. If I can find a decent/hidden place to mount the speaker I'll install it.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:08 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by BigMike62
@Dnasty you can use your car GPS antenna with a splitter, but the factory Comand has a double plug. I was going to go that route but decided to put the one they sent behind the A pillar cover so it isn't seen and gets great reception.

I selected Use OEM Bluetooth and my mic works. The only issue is when you are using CarPlay, the iPhone wants to use CarPlay bluetooth - the factory mic works but sound doesn't come through the speakers. You have to use a speaker they send. I didn't install the speaker and if I get a call while using CarPlay, I switch the phone to MB Bluetooth when I answer it. Only takes half a second. If I can find a decent/hidden place to mount the speaker I'll install it.
That kind of sucks about the calling you’d expect an expensive device like this to have the call stuff figured out. My cheap Bluetooth mmi device does the same thing. I ended up just turning off car Bluetooth calling on the car settings and use the phone on speaker phone for calls.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lexus
Thumbs up This also works with any other screen not just the 10.25

Originally Posted by Ungarisch
anyone know of a wireless Carplay adapter that works with the 2nd or 3rd gen 10.25" screens? I have gotten a the new iphone mini that finally supports wireless carplay and I want to use it with the magnet base rather than plugging it in all the time, which means I now need a wireless solution to CarPlay rather than USB
I’m making this for the new device that gets you wireless CarPlay and android auto for the OEM 10.25 inch screen, everything works as it should including steering wheel controls and going from reverse cam to CarPlay automatically. Audio sound the same as Bluetooth only gripe I have with this unit is you have to hold menu for 3 secs every time you turn on your car.

you can find it on amazon or carlinkitcarplay, I went with carlinkitcarplay since it’s a lower price than Amazon.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:43 PM

2011 E550 Cab
Does anyone know if there is a way to change what is displayed on the right side to something other than speedo?

Old 01-12-2022, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E250 CDI 4Matic
Does anyone know if there is a way to change what is displayed on the right side to something other than speedo?

I also want to know how is it possible to get this right side screen.
Mine is not show any like this but only small speed number.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:53 AM

2011 E550 Cab
Originally Posted by vcastceo
I also want to know how is it possible to get this right side screen.
Mine is not show any like this but only small speed number.
I contact the company and they said right now, that is the only thing that can be displayed.
Sorry but on right side of NTG mode can only show speed now.
What else do you want to see? In main menu has dashboard, you can check there.
G4F screen default is three color dashboard, can also change it to seven color one which can show car door info, if you need, we will send the software to you.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 W205
Hi. I have a 2014 Mercedes ML350. I purchased an aftermarket Android screen from Avin. Now I want to install a front parking camera and ambient lighting. Im not sure how to set it up and where to tap the wires into. The camera works but only as a rear camera when I change the settings from OEM to Aftermarket camera. Is there any way to trigger the camera with any android app or with clicking any oem button? Where should I tap the wires to? I purchased a full ambient kit from Aliexpress. I am not sure where should I tap the control unit to. Can I use any wiring in the center console? Thank you!
Old 01-14-2022, 09:56 PM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by m4gnum
Hi. I have a 2014 Mercedes ML350. I purchased an aftermarket Android screen from Avin. Now I want to install a front parking camera and ambient lighting. Im not sure how to set it up and where to tap the wires into. The camera works but only as a rear camera when I change the settings from OEM to Aftermarket camera. Is there any way to trigger the camera with any android app or with clicking any oem button? Where should I tap the wires to? I purchased a full ambient kit from Aliexpress. I am not sure where should I tap the control unit to. Can I use any wiring in the center console? Thank you!
You have got a lot of reading and research to do. Search the site, do extensive research, then report back with your questions.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:34 PM

W212 E250 CDI 4Matic
Thumbs up Default Navigation app selection

Hi, today I need little help.
As all knows about this head unit, launcher have "setup" icon and I can select default app for navigation, music, video, etc from the list.
On this setup, I can select default navigation app which will run when I click "Navigation" icon on launcher.
I can choose Google Map or other navigation category apps which I install through google play store.
It is looks like this launcher is able to recognize newly installed apps and categorize it's kind, and show on the selection list.
Actually I use our local navigation app as default app, instead of google map. It was ok but I want use other app (there is 4~5 navigation apps on my country).
3 apps which I installed, I can select through launcher setup, and no problem to use.
But one app which I WANT TO USE, is not appear on the setup list. I freshly installed through play store today.
In this case, is there any way to make this launcher recognize this specific app for "Default navigation app"?
Like, modify some configuration file.
Any help will be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 02:44 AM

W212 E250 CDI 4Matic
I found solution for this! But I need file.

Hi, today I need little help.
As all knows about this head unit, launcher have "setup" icon and I can select default app for navigation, music, video, etc from the list.
On this setup, I can select default navigation app which will run when I click "Navigation" icon on launcher.
I can choose Google Map or other navigation category apps which I install through google play store.
It is looks like this launcher is able to recognize newly installed apps and categorize it's kind, and show on the selection list.
Actually I use our local navigation app as default app, instead of google map. It was ok but I want use other app (there is 4~5 navigation apps on my country).
3 apps which I installed, I can select through launcher setup, and no problem to use.
But one app which I WANT TO USE, is not appear on the setup list. I freshly installed through play store today.
In this case, is there any way to make this launcher recognize this specific app for "Default navigation app"?
Like, modify some configuration file.
Any help will be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!
This Android unit, I can import factory_config.xml file. On top of this file, there is app list.

<!-- List of supported navigation applications -->
<SupportNaviAppList>
<Item name = "com.google.android.apps.maps" />
</SupportNaviAppList>

Here, I can add any app APK info, then it will appear launcher default navigation setup.
Unfortunately, I can't find any Mercedes-Benz W212 NTG 4.5 version factory_config.xml file. Instead, BMW file is on internet but it is useless.
Anybody has this exact xml file? I will ask to Chinese seller, too but ask here as well.
Share will be deeply appreciated...!!!
Old 01-15-2022, 04:25 AM

'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
This Android unit, I can import factory_config.xml file. On top of this file, there is app list.

<!-- List of supported navigation applications -->
<SupportNaviAppList>
<Item name = "com.google.android.apps.maps" />
</SupportNaviAppList>

Here, I can add any app APK info, then it will appear launcher default navigation setup.
Unfortunately, I can't find any Mercedes-Benz W212 NTG 4.5 version factory_config.xml file. Instead, BMW file is on internet but it is useless.
Anybody has this exact xml file? I will ask to Chinese seller, too but ask here as well.
Share will be deeply appreciated...!!!
use a different launcher for more customization -- no need to mess with the xml file
Old 01-15-2022, 07:35 AM

W212 E250 CDI 4Matic
Basic launcher is much simple

Originally Posted by we47b1me
use a different launcher for more customization -- no need to mess with the xml file
I did test other launcher, but basic launcher on this unit is much simple and good for me.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:56 PM

W212 E250 CDI 4Matic
Wink Need help for factory_config.xml

Does anybody has factory_config.xml for Android head unit?
I asked seller in China, and he said there is spring holiday until 10th of February. After he can find a file for me. What a long holiday....!!!!!
While waiting(it will be very long for me), I ask here that anybody has this file?
I found some from internet but it is all for BMW, not Mercedes....
If someone has it, could you please share it for me?

Mine is Android 11, 10.25" model for NTG 4.5, W212 2014.
I think Android 10, 9 or 10.25" 12" also has same file.
I try to find a way to extract it from my unit but it is not possible.
Wait for some expert's support! Thanks!
Old 01-18-2022, 06:37 AM

W212 E250 CDI 4Matic
Smile Success to extract factory_config from unit

Does anybody has factory_config.xml for Android head unit?
I asked seller in China, and he said there is spring holiday until 10th of February. After he can find a file for me. What a long holiday....!!!!!
While waiting(it will be very long for me), I ask here that anybody has this file?
I found some from internet but it is all for BMW, not Mercedes....
If someone has it, could you please share it for me?

Mine is Android 11, 10.25" model for NTG 4.5, W212 2014.
I think Android 10, 9 or 10.25" 12" also has same file.
I try to find a way to extract it from my unit but it is not possible.
Wait for some expert's support! Thanks!
Hello all, I am delighted because I did extract factory_config.xml from my unit.
This is link, anybody need this file please check this out.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5#post26482005

Finally I finish setup with this file. Need a bit modify but all is ok.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:41 AM

W212 E250 CDI 4Matic
Automatic AUX switching?

My Chinese Navifly N600 Android 11 10.25" head unit is for Mercedes, NTG 4.5.

Aux is activated and all sound from unit play through AUX without problem.

There is Aux position setting on setup, I did set position 2 and 7 correctly, and Aux change mode is set to automatic.

When I press Radio button, it changed to NTG mode, no problem but, when I return to unit,

I want Audio source change to AUX automatically. Now I have to select AUX input manually.

Is there any way to archive this function? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-27-2022, 04:37 PM

2011 E550 Cab
My Chinese Navifly N600 Android 11 10.25" head unit is for Mercedes, NTG 4.5.

Aux is activated and all sound from unit play through AUX without problem.

There is Aux position setting on setup, I did set position 2 and 7 correctly, and Aux change mode is set to automatic.

When I press Radio button, it changed to NTG mode, no problem but, when I return to unit,

I want Audio source change to AUX automatically. Now I have to select AUX input manually.

Is there any way to archive this function? Thanks in advance!
When you are in NTG Mode and move to CarPlay or Music on the Android screen, the audio doesn't automatically go to Aux? It takes about 3 seconds to auto-switch. Make sure you're waiting long enough.

I have Factory Settings > Vehicle > Aux Switching Mode to Automatic. Also, I have the Factory Settings > Vehicle > Aux auto switching set to Other.

Here is a good video to watch
Old 02-10-2022, 02:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
E-200 CDI on steroids (W212)
Hi all, nice reading material (all68 pages) but i still have a question and this is going to be the reason if i buy or not a new Android screen for my W212 with ntg4.0/4.5 as its sitting in the basket......

If i'm in "Android Mode", using the screen for ........ anything, and i put my car in reverse will it automaticly change to the camara vision or do i have to change to NTG mode??? Tech for me is no problem but since it is a daily driver for me and the "Boss" she is not so keen on having to change and mess with a bunch of settings to see behind the car. My reverse camera doesn't have guidelines.

Thanks for all the good work that has done here for years.

Beco
Old 02-10-2022, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by becosemsaida
Hi all, nice reading material (all68 pages) but i still have a question and this is going to be the reason if i buy or not a new Android screen for my W212 with ntg4.0/4.5 as its sitting in the basket......

If i'm in "Android Mode", using the screen for ........ anything, and i put my car in reverse will it automaticly change to the camara vision or do i have to change to NTG mode??? Tech for me is no problem but since it is a daily driver for me and the "Boss" she is not so keen on having to change and mess with a bunch of settings to see behind the car. My reverse camera doesn't have guidelines.

Thanks for all the good work that has done here for years.

Beco
it will change to rear view camera as expected if you're on the Android side.
becosemsaida (02-10-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 01:12 PM

2011 E550 Cab
Issue 1 of the Aux setting automatically going to Media Interface on the Comand is resolved. The setting was in the Android unit and was set to automatic instead of manual.

It took about two hours to route the big harness properly in order for the Comand unit to fit back into the space. It was very frustrating figuring it out but patience prevailed. I ran the harness through the Comand space to the lover back left corner and up the left side to the screen space. I only left the T connectors for the main Comand plug. One in the back of the unit and the factory-Android tucked down in the bottom of the space.

I'm routing the USB and AUX plugs from the Android harness from the space where the old screen was to the glovebox. I managed to get some string routed and will finish up tonight. I didn't remove the glovebox which made it harder. I popped the AMI port out and ran the string through there. I'll notch the side of the opening so the cables can come through and pop the port back in when I'm done.

I've had the unit installed for about 6 weeks now and very happy with the decision to buy it. I feel like Emily at car-life mall is a friend now that I've IM'd with her so much to configure the unit to how I wanted it to work. While it was a struggle at times, everything was right there for what I needed and it was worth it because I know the system so well now (and still a ton that I don't). What this unit really needs is an American technical writer to produce a user's guide with drawings on how everything works and what all of the settings do.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:43 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Mercedes 2014 E350 Estate (S212)
Hi - does anyone have any info on being able to configure the comand and android unit so you don't have to connect audio through the RCA (white/red) plugs? Given how many connections there are between the android and comand I am really hoping there is a way to do that through software....

Alternatively I'm sure that I could intercept the connection for the MMI to the COMAND but I don't know which plug controls that on my COMAND.

I was able to split the GPS signal (what I believe to be the GPS signal anyways) and route that to the android GPS.

I was very close to splitting one of the factory camera signals and being able to route it to the android, but the fakra used on the COMAND is an elbow type - whereas the adapter I have is a straight on, so I may need to reorder that. This is what I believe to be one of the camera inputs but I would like to confirm that with some expert knowledge here on the thread (however I will try to plug and unplug it to verify.

splitting the factory white gps plug (what I believe to be the gps)

Elbow fakra on what I believe is one of 2 camera inputs. I pried up the pink locking clip and the fakra connector just pops in and out.

Last edited by nateo83; 03-16-2022 at 10:57 PM.
VINESSEL80 (11-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I had the camera situation.
I was using a fakra splitter so I can have connected the media module AND the camera for one available Input. This is because with the older W204, the command had only one possible out of the 2, either camera OR multimedia.
So I got both to work on my command.
But when the time came for the 10.25" unit, I saw that now the reverse camera was taking way too long to come on. And I thought that more features may be available from the 10.25".
So I removed the fakra splitter and put a RCA connector on the camera.
Then right away I got fast reverse camera activation, I got the reverse guide lines which come with the 10.25" unit to activate and I got better resolution, because my reverse camera was aftermarket and instead of being 2010 camera technology, they were 2018 technology.
The limiting factor had been the hardware and software in the command unit. Once that got bypassed, I was able to progress.
Old 03-27-2022, 01:03 AM

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts
2010 Mercedes E350 Base Sedan
I have been through the several dozen pages of this thread and haven't seen anybody mention my situation.

My early 2010 W212 (NTG4) has the "iPod Integration" option where an Apple Lightning cable is flopping around the glove box. There are even a couple of manuals that go along with it.

What I do not have is the COMAND AUX or USB input. In researching all of my options for this car, I could not identify/find the cable/adapter that I could use to ditch the iPod Integration in favor of an AUX and/or USB port.

I'd like to go with a 10.25" Android system. It looks like it uses AUX, but I don't have an AUX!

Does anybody know what I can do here to make this work? Is the AUX connection a passive three-wire cable to the COMAND head unit that I can buy or make?

Last edited by RWagz; 03-27-2022 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:16 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Mercedes 2014 E350 Estate (S212)
Originally Posted by RWagz
I have been through the several dozen pages of this thread and haven't seen anybody mention my situation.

My early 2010 W212 (NTG4) has the "iPod Integration" option where an Apple Lightning cable is flopping around the glove box. There are even a couple of manuals that go along with it.

What I do not have is the COMAND AUX or USB input. In researching all of my options for this car, I could not identify/find the cable/adapter that I could use to ditch the iPod Integration in favor of an AUX and/or USB port.

I'd like to go with a 10.25" Android system. It looks like it uses AUX, but I don't have an AUX!

Does anybody know what I can do here to make this work? Is the AUX connection a passive three-wire cable to the COMAND head unit that I can buy or make?
there is another thread, you can add Aux as an option through engineering mode. I will edit and put the link here later.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: 10.25 inch android headunit installed