E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Airmatic Sport Mode question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Airmatic Sport Mode question

Does anyone know what the logical conditions are for the airmatic control unit to switch from comfort to sport mode by itself and not allow the user to switch back to comfort until an engine shut down and restart?
The extra parameters would be low ambient temps (it was 19 F when it happened) and the fact that my rear right corner sits about 1/4th to 1/2 of an inch lower than the rest of them, but is not leaking ( I left the car in the cold for more than a week without turning it on and it didn't sag on any corner, the rear right one just sits lower at all times for whatever reason).
Old 01-03-2018, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550 Sedan
the valve block could be leaking.

not sure about switching from sport to comfort on its own since I've never experienced this
Old 01-03-2018, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Check codes
Old 01-03-2018, 12:18 PM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Check codes
That would be a good idea if I had a STAR Diag, heck, even an Autel would be nice now. There's no one with scan tools around this area unfortunately
Old 01-03-2018, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now you have good excuse to buy one.
Crystal ball would be other option, but less efficient.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:37 PM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
Now you have good excuse to buy one.
Crystal ball would be other option, but less efficient.
I know, I'm trying to convince the funds boss right now to approve that. Apparently Santa doesn't want me to get anything too expensive these first months after Christmas, since I already got a Asus Gtx 1080 Strix , which is around the same price as one of those chinese copy cat diags or the DS808. If everything fails, at least I can install some NFS and I'll still be driving an MB
Old 01-03-2018, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Interesting behavior
Old 01-03-2018, 03:26 PM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by belarus27
Interesting behavior
Yep. That's why I was curious to see what it's brain was thinking and how it arrived to that decision. Hopefully there are MB software engineers looming around this forum and they're wiling to explain
Old 01-06-2018, 05:59 PM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
After further testing I realized that this issue is strictly linked to the operating ambient temperature. Anything under 19F will make the suspension's sport setting engage by itself, and pressing the button to make it go back to comfort doesn't work. Even after turning the engine off and back on again, it still goes to sport mode withing a few seconds. The air springs and air hose systems are properly sealed, there's no height drop regardless of the outside temperature.
I'm thinking moisture in the shocks (if they have any sort of bi-directional communication system with the ADS module), moisture in one or more of the level sensors, a bad ADS/Airmatic control unit or a failing shock absorber solenoid valve.
What do you guys think?

Last edited by Oda112; 01-06-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB install lot of idiot-proof programs on their cars and not let the owners know about them. Lot of owners have no idea that MB of last 20+ years will shut themselves off when engine overheats.
So I would be not surprised if your car has a program who in very low temperatures keep the car at low clearance for stability or other reasons.
My experience with MB dealers knowing MB cars come very bad, but nothing wrong with shooting email to MBUSA.
In the past I had couple difficult questions that even MBUSA was not able to answer, but they forwarded my questions to Stuttgart, where I got prompt answer.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:59 PM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
MB install lot of idiot-proof programs on their cars and not let the owners know about them. Lot of owners have no idea that MB of last 20+ years will shut themselves off when engine overheats.
So I would be not surprised if your car has a program who in very low temperatures keep the car at low clearance for stability or other reasons.
My experience with MB dealers knowing MB cars come very bad, but nothing wrong with shooting email to MBUSA.
In the past I had couple difficult questions that even MBUSA was not able to answer, but they forwarded my questions to Stuttgart, where I got prompt answer.
Hmm...interesting answer. One question: how does MB know I'm an idiot? I thought that was confidential
Also, does your Airmatic behave similar in these temp ranges? I feel that if that's the case, they should only sell these cars between 10 degrees north and south of the Equator line.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We all are idiots at this point, or another.
I can consider myself high-end DIY in mechanical subject, but I am kindergartner in car software.
Typical sample how our cars protects themselves from our stupidity is manual gear shifting.
You can shift the gears with wheel paddles, but computer will not allow you to pass redline, or drive below 1200 rpm on high gears.
I no longer own air suspension and the coldest we recorded this winter was 38F.
I have 2 weather stations, so it is sure thing.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:22 AM

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E550 4MATIC TUNED - Turbo Upgraded Stage 3
i am now having same situation. Airmatic goes sports mode, it will not go up back to comfort mode.
Outside temperature is 35F
I can raise the car by pressing raise button, but it just wont switch in between Sports and comfort.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:45 PM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by cocobeex
i am now having same situation. Airmatic goes sports mode, it will not go up back to comfort mode.
Outside temperature is 35F
I can raise the car by pressing raise button, but it just wont switch in between Sports and comfort.
Welcome to this select club of W212 with Airmatic owners! I caved in and ordered an Autel Ds808, it should be here by Wednesday, I'll hook it up and see what I get, let you guys know too. Mine was doing that too, as soon as it got under 40, it would pull this * on us. After a little driving, turning the engine off and then back on would cure it, until it got in the low 20s, the nothing would cure it.

Last edited by Oda112; 01-07-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Oda112
Welcome to this select club of W212 with Airmatic owners! I caved in and ordered an Autel Ds808, it should be here by Wednesday, I'll hook it up and see what I get, let you guys know too. Mine was doing that too, as soon as it got under 40, it would pull this * on us. After a little driving, turning the engine off and then back on would cure it, until it got in the low 20s, the nothing would cure it.
Update !!

I have reset my airmatic with one of these tools.
Now, Its back to normal. I can switch in between sports and comfort again.

Whoever has this issue, just try to reset your airmatic with Xentry or DS808 ...etc.
See if that works for you.
The following users liked this post:
Oda112 (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 08:40 PM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by cocobeex
Update !!

I have reset my airmatic with one of these tools.
Now, Its back to normal. I can switch in between sports and comfort again.

Whoever has this issue, just try to reset your airmatic with Xentry or DS808 ...etc.
See if that works for you.
That's good news, I'm glad your car is fixed!
I can only hope mine will be just as easy to deal with. Did you by any chance get a look at that error code? Also, what did you use for a diagnostic tool?
Old 01-08-2018, 09:33 PM

That's good news, I'm glad your car is fixed!
I can only hope mine will be just as easy to deal with. Did you by any chance get a look at that error code? Also, what did you use for a diagnostic tool?
Its one of the indy shop, they didn't see any error code. They just reset it and fixed the issue.
The tool i see, is very likely the DS808
Old 01-12-2018, 11:55 AM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
Update:
I recently got the Autel Ds808, hooked it up to the Benz and I have to say I was impressed with what it can do. It's no STAR but it comes pretty close to it, and it's slightly easier to deal with. I saw that it can even do adaptations for gearbox valve body solenoids replacement and shift point relearn, amongst other things. I'll post more about it once I try it out, it's definitely a good buy considering price/versatility.
The Airmatic errors it dug up were C15341F ( Rear left damping valve unit faulty - I'm guessing some sort of oil flow issue which upsets the resistance in the solenoid actuated unit Y53) and a one time C155664 which happened when the outside temp was 22F and I was trying to raise the suspension while driving, and I think I went over 15mph which upset it for some reason.
Erasing the error codes will make the suspension button shift back to comfort mode but as soon as I start driving it will go back to sport ( but only when it's very cold outside, it was 13F this morning when I tried it) so it's not a software fault like cocobeex's unfortunately.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Does anyone know what the logical conditions are for the airmatic control unit to switch from comfort to sport mode by itself and not allow the user to switch back to comfort until an engine shut down and restart?
The extra parameters would be low ambient temps (it was 19 F when it happened) and the fact that my rear right corner sits about 1/4th to 1/2 of an inch lower than the rest of them, but is not leaking ( I left the car in the cold for more than a week without turning it on and it didn't sag on any corner, the rear right one just sits lower at all times for whatever reason).

I thought the manual said once your go over 70 mph that car would automatically go from Comfort to Sport. Going off of memory, I believe it was initially 90 mph but they changed the wording to say 70 since they didn't want people flying around in hopes of activating it lol. I don't believe temperature has much to do with it but I could be wrong.

I've recently had to replace one of my front air suspensions and it was pricey. Otherwise, I've had no issues but when it's well below freezing my rear will still sag overnight. Benz always says it's fine but they said that a few months right before my front went. So it's just a waiting and hoping game.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:30 PM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by jahquan3
I thought the manual said once your go over 70 mph that car would automatically go from Comfort to Sport. Going off of memory, I believe it was initially 90 mph but they changed the wording to say 70 since they didn't want people flying around in hopes of activating it lol. I don't believe temperature has much to do with it but I could be wrong.

I've recently had to replace one of my front air suspensions and it was pricey. Otherwise, I've had no issues but when it's well below freezing my rear will still sag overnight. Benz always says it's fine but they said that a few months right before my front went. So it's just a waiting and hoping game.
I think it lowers itself by an inch or so when you go over a certain speed ( 40 mph or 70), but in my experience the light on the suspension mode button doesn't change to sport when that happens. I know mine has a rear shock issue which manifests only when it's cold out, which in turn makes the ADS computer switch to Sport mode as a safety measure. Unlike yours, mine doesn't lose height overnight, although it does sit lower on the passenger side by 1/4 inch at all times ( I looked at the pressure reading in each air bag and the front and rear right have 1 to 1.5 Bar less than their left side counterparts). The height issue might be related to the bad rear left shock, I'm thinking the previous owner went over a big bump or pothole and that moved the sensor brackets on the right side ( all 4 wheels wheels were also very badly bent, especially the back ones) beyond the top elastic deformation point. Looking at the level sensors and brackets I saw that the right rear was sitting at a different angle than the left rear and it seemed to be caused by the bracket being bent inwards (toward the chassis). Now, I won't know for sure until I put the car on a level surface since my garage might not be perfectly level.
Your rear sagging overnight is not normal, mine doesn't do it, the coldest it sat in was around 20F and the level was ok, maybe less than 5mm lower on all 4 corners, but that's just air becoming less dense. You might have a leak, either within the valve body, air lines and/or back air springs.