E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Cabin vibrations after replacement of engines and transmission mounts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Cabin vibrations after replacement of engines and transmission mounts

Hi all, I own an 2010 E350 4Matic. It is a great car, indeed. I had been having these vibrations due to faulty engine and tranny mounts. I replaced them all in an indy shop, but the vibrations are still there. Let me describe how it is:

the vibration always happen when the engine is cold, idling in D or R, and when coming into a stop. When the engine in warm the vibrations disappear and the car idles and drives smoothly. The vibrations come like intervals, for instance when idling at traffic lights, can you can notice how the vibration builds up and then it goes away. I have the sensation the vibrations comes from the transmission. Anybody can give a hint of what the problem might be?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2018, 12:29 PM

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by Magic4
Hi all, I own an 2010 E350 4Matic. It is a great car, indeed. I had been having these vibrations due to faulty engine and tranny mounts. I replaced them all in an indy shop, but the vibrations are still there. Let me describe how it is:

the vibration always happen when the engine is cold, idling in D or R, and when coming into a stop. When the engine in warm the vibrations disappear and the car idles and drives smoothly. The vibrations come like intervals, for instance when idling at traffic lights, can you can notice how the vibration builds up and then it goes away. I have the sensation the vibrations comes from the transmission. Anybody can give a hint of what the problem might be?

Thanks!
Sounds like you might have a bad torque converter, either improper fluid level or something out of balance on the rotating assembly. Another cause could be a bad harmonic balancer/vibration dampener/crank pulley or a combination of the two. In some cases, a worn out AC compressor clutch could rattle the whole car when it engages and disengages, but you'd be able to see that wobble by visually inspecting it and it shouldn't be determined by engine temperature.

Last edited by Oda112; 01-13-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:02 PM

2010 E350 4Matic
Thanks for the quick answer. Sounds like an expensive thing this torque converter. I just come back from running some errands and the car at idle rumble, but after that it was very smooth. I´ll get back to the dealer with these suggestions.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:15 PM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
Thanks for the quick answer. Sounds like an expensive thing this torque converter. I just come back from running some errands and the car at idle rumble, but after that it was very smooth. I´ll get back to the dealer with these suggestions.
TC is not that expensive, you can get rebuilt items for around 500$online (you have to send your broken one in). I was thinking that your issue might be unrelated to the driving train if it goes away once the engine is warm. It might just be rough cold engine running( or is it just rough idle?) causing the vibrations, which is another novel to explain. If it is that, it should be easy to catch on the diagnostic tool and you can go from there. Keep us posted on what you find.

Last edited by Oda112; 01-13-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:52 PM

2010 E350 4Matic
Hi, I plug today a diagnostic tool and no codes were found. Then I went to auto assistance (they check the cars if something is wrong etc.,) and they couldn't find anything out of usual. They check the serpentine belt, all fine there, as well all the cranks pulleys for play, all fine also. When I got to the shop, the engine had reached its temperature, so they couldn't see the vibrations. Oh, I was expecting to avoid the MB dealership, I see I´ll have no other option. Keep you posted.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:25 PM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
Hi, I plug today a diagnostic tool and no codes were found. Then I went to auto assistance (they check the cars if something is wrong etc.,) and they couldn't find anything out of usual. They check the serpentine belt, all fine there, as well all the cranks pulleys for play, all fine also. When I got to the shop, the engine had reached its temperature, so they couldn't see the vibrations. Oh, I was expecting to avoid the MB dealership, I see I´ll have no other option. Keep you posted.
Sorry to hear you couldn't find what was wrong with it. Maybe they should try graphing a few things (like MAF/Advance/Oil pressure/TC operation/Vacuum pressure) when doing a cold start ( you might have to let it cool off or leave it overnight there). MB will probably do that and they do have the STAR system which should pick up on any inadvertencies, the not so fun part is the price they usually charge.
The following users liked this post:
Magic4 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 06:05 AM

2010 E350 4Matic
Hi, this morning when I took the car I noticed that when turning the steering wheel either to right or left I get this groaning noise that adds to the existing vibration.
All this still happens when the car is cold, on a stop and either with engage D or R

Could be the power steering pump, or a low fluid level? I just uploaded a video, hope you can define what this might be.

Thanks a lot
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0914.MOV (2.76 MB, 209 views)

Last edited by Magic4; 01-17-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 01-17-2018, 10:27 AM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
Hi, this morning when I took the car I noticed that when turning the steering wheel either to right or left I get this groaning noise that adds to the existing vibration.
All this still happens when the car is cold, on a stop and either with engage D or R

Could be the power steering pump, or a low fluid level? I just uploaded a video, hope you can define what this might be.

Thanks a lot
I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary in the sound recording you attached. My steering pump is a little loud when I first start the car, usually lasts for about 30 to 45 seconds and it's only audible if I turn the steering wheel slightly when the car is not moving. I've checked the steering fluid and it's ok level and cleanliness wise, so I'm not yet concerned. Mine is a high pitched noise, not a low groan. I think yours might just be engine RPM drop when turning the steering wheel at idle, that's normal.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2

Thanks a lot
Power steering fluid low? Go from there first... it seems lile a common thing for these cars that ive noticed looking at these forum
Old 01-17-2018, 12:15 PM

2010 E350 4Matic
Thanks for your replies I checked the steering fluid when engine cold, and it was correct, it showed. I guess the fluid expands when engine is warm. The sound quality of the file isn't good, inside the car it is quite trembling. If you listen with headsets at second 9 and after the passing car, you can notice the groaning when turning the steering wheel. Thanks for your support again!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:06 PM

2010 E350 4Matic
Hi again, I found a video on youtube that pretty much describes the vibrations I have, hope you can figure this out, before MB makes me pay big time!

Old 01-19-2018, 01:47 PM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
That looks like a really,really bad transmission mount. If the vibrations are worse when idling in D or R then it's the tranny mount. If they are just as bad when in N or P then it's a combination of tranny and engine mounts. Didn't you say you had them replaced? If your car is anywhere close to the vibrations the one in the video has, you should definitely get them replaced asap.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:51 PM

2010 E350 4Matic
Yes, all mounts are freshly done, I will check again that the replace has been done properly.

thanks
Old 11-15-2022, 01:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E320
Yes, all mounts are freshly done, I will check again that the replace has been done properly.

thanks
I'm having the exact same issue my W211 03 E320. Rear headrest now vibrates, whole car vibrates while driving. Changed both engine mounts and tranny mounts . It vibrated in drive with the brake on but that has gone away now.
Did you find out what was wrong with yours?
Old 10-15-2023, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(2008 Audi a4 Quatto 2.0t S-line)(2016 E400 Coupe)
Originally Posted by Oda112
Sounds like you might have a bad torque converter, either improper fluid level or something out of balance on the rotating assembly. Another cause could be a bad harmonic balancer/vibration dampener/crank pulley or a combination of the two. In some cases, a worn out AC compressor clutch could rattle the whole car when it engages and disengages, but you'd be able to see that wobble by visually inspecting it and it shouldn't be determined by engine temperature.
The compressor is a good guess
Old 10-16-2023, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,336 Likes on 2,220 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
temporarily shaking...

Both banks are running out of balance:
  • clogged upstream lambda
  • loose timing tensioners or phaser
  • misfires ignition or injection
  • ​​​​​​non-contributing cylinder

Have a look at the idle long-term fuel trim at operating temp. Do you read a negative lean ?
Old 10-16-2023, 04:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(2008 Audi a4 Quatto 2.0t S-line)(2016 E400 Coupe)
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
Both banks are running out of balance:
  • clogged upstream lambda
  • loose timing tensioners or phaser
  • misfires ignition or injection
  • ​​​​​​non-contributing cylinder

Have a look at the idle long-term fuel trim at operating temp. Do you read a negative lean ?
when my cars running more rich on warm up I feel the shaking. Its my transmission mount. Began noticing today its gone once warm though. Luckily ordered the mount a couple weeks ago right in time.

only 42,000 miles :/ E400 coupe tuned & straight piped mufflers
Old 10-16-2023, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,336 Likes on 2,220 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
mounts... only decoys

Originally Posted by StuttgartHorses
when my cars running more rich on warm up I feel the shaking. Its my transmission mount.
Began noticing today its gone once warm though. Luckily ordered the mount a couple weeks ago right in time.

only 42,000 miles :/ E400 coupe tuned & straight piped mufflers
you know... it's not the mounts that vibrate: its the engine!
Transmission mount comes into play under torque at speed.

All three mounts can help make things tighter for a while but expect vibrations to keep up -

++++ edit: the above pointer pretty states what the thread title says!

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 10-16-2023 at 10:50 PM. Reason: title holds an answer