E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

questions about removeable keyless-go button

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212
questions about removeable keyless-go button

Hello! i have a W212. But without keyless-go. but i have some questions i want to ask people which own a car with keyless-go push button.
1)Can you turn the ignition using that button? ( i know it looks funny but anyways)
2)Is that button reliable ? (like when you drop it does it break (or does it break down over the time ?)
My brother has W213. And his car doesnt have the EIS key. only keyless button . And he hates it. But i think vica-versa.

So what do you say ?
Old 03-11-2018, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
The button is a piece of plastic that can be purchased on Ebay for cheap. It’s function is to press in and that’s it. It contains no electronics whatsoever, so if you want to throw it, drop it, kick it, go ahead. I have no idea what you are asking in your first question. The button does not turn.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (07-13-2021)
Old 03-11-2018, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212
Originally Posted by KEY08
The button is a piece of plastic that can be purchased on Ebay for cheap. It’s function is to press in and that’s it. It contains no electronics whatsoever, so if you want to throw it, drop it, kick it, go ahead. I have no idea what you are asking in your first question. The button does not turn.
I mean like turning position 1,2,3 etc.
and please can turn post any links ?
Thanks!
Old 03-11-2018, 06:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350BTC P2 Leather
I have a 2011 with Keyless Go.

You have two choices.
  • Leave the button in the keyhole, and if your key is in the car, push the button, and the car starts.
  • Take the button out and don't use it. Then you put your key in the keyhole, and turn it to start the car.

I took my button out and use the key. Too many people have their car opened or stolen because they leave the key in the house near the car, and the car will unlock.

Maybe I'm wrong or crazy, but I don't use the button.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2010 Mercedes E550 4matic Sport P2, Driver Assistant, Night Vision, Parktronic and Panorama Sunroof
Originally Posted by mikemargolis

You have two choices.
  • Leave the button in the keyhole, and if your key is in the car, push the button, and the car starts.
  • Take the button out and don't use it. Then you put your key in the keyhole, and turn it to start the car.

I took my button out and use the key. Too many people have their car opened or stolen because they leave the key in the house near the car, and the car will unlock.

Car will still unlock/lock regardless if the push button is inserted or not. The key just has to be within 3 feet of a door.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:36 PM

2010 Mercedes E550 4matic Sport P2, Driver Assistant, Night Vision, Parktronic and Panorama Sunroof
Originally Posted by #bestornothing
I mean like turning position 1,2,3 etc.
and please can turn post any links ?
Thanks!
Foot OFF break pedal. 1 Push = First turn, 2 Pushes = 2 Turns, 3 Pushes = OFF
TEAsE550 (07-11-2021)
Old 03-12-2018, 03:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350BTC P2 Leather
Originally Posted by Lolxa
Car will still unlock/lock regardless if the push button is inserted or not. The key just has to be within 3 feet of a door.
Get in? Yes. Maybe further than three feet with an amplifier.

Start it and go? Not without my key when the button is missing.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:15 PM

Yes, they can get a key programmer off Amazon and plug into your port and program a new key can be used. This is all done within a minute. Once inside they can do anything. There was even a News Article about this. A brand new C class was stolen off the driveway at night in the states, no alarms.

Last edited by Lolxa; 03-12-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
It was posted in another topic.
When car is park close to the house where key is, the thieves will come with mirroring/amplifying device, what will open the car and start the ignition.
As long as the key signal is there for start, the car will run without key present till it comes to a stop.
Good enough for thieves.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic

You have two choices.

You may be wrong and crazy. The way they steal the car is to use a signal amplifier to retransmit the signal from the fob in your house to trick the car into thinking that the fob is next to the car. If they're going to have that kind of hardware, they can just as easily get a $15 keyless go button on eBay and stick it in. I also wonder if a screwdriver would also work as you just push it in. Don't let fear and thieves control your life, use the button and enjoy it while you can. Those theft reports are isolated incidents. They can tell you have keyless go either from the vin or from the sensor in the door handle.

The proper way to solve the problem would be to put your key in a faraday cage, basically a simple box surrounded by metal. A box wrapped in aluminum foil will work. But you can buy fancier stuff on Amazon. That blocks any signal from going out.

I don't worry about it, that's what insurance is for. Although I park on the street/parking lot so they'd have to figure out where I live first.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 ML430
Originally Posted by KEY08
If you have “no idea what I’m asking” why are you replying to my post ?!
Old 07-11-2021, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by WenzBenz
What post?
Got a fake noob?
All the valid replies here and you chew on this one?
Old 07-11-2021, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,257 Likes on 863 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4

these cars have radio sensors that can tell if the dongle is inside the car, not just nearby. go ahead, have someone stand next to the car with your dongle, and press start, it will not start.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,257 Likes on 863 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
You may be wrong and crazy. The way they steal the car is to use a signal amplifier to retransmit the signal from the fob in your house to trick the car into thinking that the fob is next to the car. If they're going to have that kind of hardware, they can just as easily get a $15 keyless go button on eBay and stick it in. I also wonder if a screwdriver would also work as you just push it in. Don't let fear and thieves control your life, use the button and enjoy it while you can. Those theft reports are isolated incidents. They can tell you have keyless go either from the vin or from the sensor in the door handle.

The proper way to solve the problem would be to put your key in a faraday cage, basically a simple box surrounded by metal. A box wrapped in aluminum foil will work. But you can buy fancier stuff on Amazon. That blocks any signal from going out.

I don't worry about it, that's what insurance is for. Although I park on the street/parking lot so they'd have to figure out where I live first.

double-press the lock button on the Mercedes dongle, and note the little LED does a long blink, that turns the dongle completely off, so it won't work by proximity, until you push a button on it to reactivate it. This beats the heck out of messing with some funky 'faraday cage'. BTW, Faraday cages have to be grounded to actually work, aluminum foil on its own won't cut it.

(yes, I know these are old posts, but clearing up some misconceptions for future readers)
The following 2 users liked this post by Left Coast Geek:
pierrejoliat (07-13-2021), SlyAsA (07-15-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 08:28 PM

Received 379 Likes on 244 Posts
2012 E550 sedan 2019 E63 Wagon
I thought the button has to be programmed to work. At least one was for me when I scratched mine, and wanted a new one.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Originally Posted by WenzBenz
what did you post? And welcome to 2021
pierrejoliat (07-13-2021)