Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 09:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 Ford F150
Is this a good first Mercedes?

https://www.hiltonheadhyundai.com/us...27a189c7b5.htm

https://www.datamb.com/vin/GKamyADxJozA0M5QL

We will be trading in our 2014 XC70 T6. Took the Merc for a test drive and it didn't feel any less powerful than the Volvo turbo motor. Couple questions that came up after we told them we had to mull it over. One was if it has blind spot monitoring, another if it had remote start. We are leaning towards getting it even with the negative equity in the Volvo. She really likes the Mercedes. Says its leather, but the VIN decoder says its imitation leather (MB-Tex?). Going to be scouring these forums looking for honest owner reviews. Plans are to keep this car for 10 years. Yes we will get an extended warranty that our bank (USAA) offers. Oh, and it says it has DVD, but there are no screens. Does that mean its wired for DVD players? Also, do any of you have any red flags that I should be on the lookout for? Thanks so much. Like I said I will be searching the forums for more answers tonight and tomorrow. Want to make an informed decision.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E550
From my experience.. blind spot monitoring will give you an orange or red triangle in your side view mirrors. And when I asked the same question about the auto start my dealer said because it's illegal in Germany to have your car running without you inside. So no Mercedes will come with it, there is an mercedes app that allows you to auto start if you subscribe to it. There is something you can plug into your car that will allow you to use your OEM key fob to auto start I saw
http://smartkeystarter.com

Old 08-03-2018, 01:45 AM

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
14 550 sedan
Originally Posted by usmceric1

We will be trading in our 2014 XC70 T6. Took the Merc for a test drive and it didn't feel any less powerful than the Volvo turbo motor. Couple questions that came up after we told them we had to mull it over. One was if it has blind spot monitoring, another if it had remote start. We are leaning towards getting it even with the negative equity in the Volvo. She really likes the Mercedes. Says its leather, but the VIN decoder says its imitation leather (MB-Tex?). Going to be scouring these forums looking for honest owner reviews. Plans are to keep this car for 10 years. Yes we will get an extended warranty that our bank (USAA) offers. Oh, and it says it has DVD, but there are no screens. Does that mean its wired for DVD players? Also, do any of you have any red flags that I should be on the lookout for? Thanks so much. Like I said I will be searching the forums for more answers tonight and tomorrow. Want to make an informed decision.
the 350s are solid engines. I think the wagon looks pretty sweet too. Mb-tex is not real leather, just an imitation/synthetic material that feels and looks like leather, fake leather is pretty much the norm nowadays because they tend to last longer and are more durable. Not sure about the DVD answer. There is no remote start on these E's.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:13 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230

Looks like a nice car. Wagons tend to be hard to find. Not a MB dealer so they really dont know what they are talking about with this car. Not leather, MB tex. Doesnt have keyless start, so probably doesnt have the packages that give you the blind spot monitoring. Should be a way to run the vin and see what is installed. 4matic, which is nice if you need it, but does make for more potential issues down the road. Six is a nice engine, went to direct injection in 2012 I believe. Only downside to that is that changing spark plugs gets much more expensive since they have to remove the manifold to access them, not like the earlier version. I think plugs are due at 50k, so I would make sure they've been changed. Would also make sure it had the transmission service done as well as recent brake flush.

Coming from a volvo, why a benz?
Old 08-03-2018, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,105 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Couple questions that came up after we told them we had to mull it over. One was if it has blind spot monitoring, another if it had remote start. We are leaning towards getting it even with the negative equity in the Volvo. She really likes the Mercedes. Says its leather, but the VIN decoder says its imitation leather (MB-Tex?). Going to be scouring these forums looking for honest owner reviews. Plans are to keep this car for 10 years. Yes we will get an extended warranty that our bank (USAA) offers. Oh, and it says it has DVD, but there are no screens. Does that mean its wired for DVD players? Also, do any of you have any red flags that I should be on the lookout for? Thanks so much. Like I said I will be searching the forums for more answers tonight and tomorrow. Want to make an informed decision.
Blind Spot Monitoring is Build code 234. Your data sheet does not show 234, but you can simply inspect the mirrors for the presence of the triangles to be shure. It's a nice feature, and a negotiator for a lower price, IMO

The dealer is lying if it says the car has leather seats. Another negotiation point. IMO, MB-TEX is actually preferable to leather. If you do keep the car 10+ years, the MB-TEX material will prove more durable. You will read some complaints about the particular design of the W212 seat panels, and how the imitation seams may be prone to splitting in some instances. But it's the design of the seat, not the material, IMO. Just check the seams thoroughly to be sure no splits are present.

The DVD function is part of the CD system in Comand. If this 2014 is like my 2016, the CD slot will accept and play DVDs in the Comand screen... IF the vehicle is not moving (standstill). This lockout is a standard safety feature in the US (maybe abroad, too). There is aftermarket programming available to allow view on the move, but it is expensive, and possibly illegal (just another driver distraction). The DVD feature works great, but I think it plays only DVDs (no Blu-Ray).

Last edited by DFWdude; 08-03-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 Ford F150
The one reason she is willing to give up the Volvo, is she always wanted a Benz wagon. This one definitely fits the bill. The rarity also checks the box off for me. Just did a search and these cars are rare! There are no comp's in the area. I would have to travel hundreds of miles to find a used face lifted W212 comparable to this one. Oh an she loves the third seat option. Granted its really small, but I have 4 kids and the little ones can fit back there if needed. We have another vehicle for full family outings. Since we got the Volvo, I have been kind of disappointed in it. There is nothing wrong with it, it has all the features the Mercedes does. But it doesn't talk to me when I drive it. It's very soulless. Not like the older Volvo wagon we had back in the day. The Straight 6 Turbo is laggy, and the sport mode is meh. I think the Mercedes is more of a drivers car than the Volvo, just my opinion. What I would really like is the E63, and who wouldn't right? But a 14' and up is twice the price of this one on average. Not in the cards right now.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,105 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
A neighbor 5 doors away got an Estate Wagon (W212, I think). I've only seen it pulling into their garage. But it does look handsome, and indeed very rare. I think the wagon will drive more like a sedan than the several SUVs Mercedes makes, which just look blah-blah "Me-Too-SUV-ish" to me. Almost certain the wagon will get better fuel mileage than any SUV on those long family trips, too.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:12 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
S212
I just picked up a 2013 W212 Wagon, yes to find one that you like you should be open to travel, I picked mine up in Columbia SC took a bus from Manhattan on friday night and saturday morning I was at the dealership. Ticket was 40 bucks. The car turned out to be in great shape and with all research I did, had options that I wanted. I got real leather seats with dynamic option that are also ventilated, black walnut trim that is so much better looking than regular brown burl, curvelight headlights. Its diamond white which to me is the best color on a wagon. The only option that i wanted but this one didn't have is panoramic roof.
About travel, took us 12 hours with lots of stops to get back home I was a bit tired but mostly due to driving it in pouring rain for 7 hours at night. Th car felt perfect like you said it is a drivers car, it feels stable at any speed and it has plenty of power. MPG wasn't bad I got 29 over 800 miles on a highway. When i got out of the car I wasn't beat to death as I probably would have been from my old suv.
Cargo space is good, I just got out of Subaru Tribeca that had a bit more vertical room but comfort and driving wise wagon is sooo much more comfy and better in every way.
Although these cars a scarce I'd say take a look at couple others just as to compare especially features, I drove a couple just to see if i like how they feel. my conclusion was I don't care about blindspot, distronic, sport suspension, but leather to me felt better then MB-tex, I knew I wanted it with black interior, keyless go was a must, 17"wheels make more sense since this is my family car, and if I could have non brown burl trim then i would one way or the other. Also because they are so rare most of them sit on non-MB lots for quite some time, this means you can haggle a better deal. My rule is if I can't get at least 10% off their price I look elsewhere to them its just a used car that they probably took on a trade in, so don't be afraid to haggle.