Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2020 | 03:36 PM

2016 E350 Base
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
FWIW, you actually have three very different choices:

1) OEM via firmware/OBDII
2) Aftermarket unit w/ new screen
3) Aftermarket unit that retains MB OEM screen

I have aftermarket devices in both my 2014 MBs and if I had a 2016 I would absolutely prefer the firmware/OBDII solution and retain all the MB integration, and importantly, the nice low glare MB OEM screen.
Thanks for the input. Well noted...
Old 09-07-2020 | 03:41 PM

2016 E350 Base
Originally Posted by DFWdude
Much less complicated to use the OBD2 device to get Android Auto, compared with tearing the dash apart to install any aftermarket screen. Also, the OBD solution includes both AA and Apple CarPlay, allowing flexibility to use either app. I am not sure that the Android Screen offers both options.

There is another thread here on the android hardware installation. I'm just not inclined to chance the issues that can occur with the Android Screen option. I've learned with my MBs that physically changing one thing like this can create two or more problems...

...Not to mention that the tacked-on appearance of the hardware options look tacky, IMO.
Thanks DWF - well said. I do have apprehension of removing parts, as I have nightmares of breaking something in the process. Now that you have had the OBD2 (from Vlad) solution for some time, are you still finding it as effective and useful as when you first installed it? I believe you're an Android user (as I am as well). What features of the AA are you utilizing most often? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-2020 | 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Joe Alonso
Thanks DFW - well said. I do have apprehension of removing parts, as I have nightmares of breaking something in the process. Now that you have had the OBD2 (from Vlad) solution for some time, are you still finding it as effective and useful as when you first installed it? I believe you're an Android user (as I am as well). What features of the AA are you utilizing most often? Thanks in advance.
Yes I am an Android user, although my smartphone is from Dec. 2014, and its Android 5.0.2 OS barely meets the minimum requirement to run the Android Auto App.

I installed the AA/ACP upgrade, anticipating the expiration of my Mercedes-Me subscription. I like using the "Send2Benz" feature to remotely enter destinations. But that goes away October 15.

By this time I also hoped to buy a current Samsung S10 variant smartphone to work with the software upgrade. But the pandemic has re-ordered my priorities. So I probably will not have the new phone before Christmas.

Long-winded way of explaining that my current phone works with the upgrade, but just barely. It connects (when using the best USB cable I can find) as expected, and displays on the screen fine. But I won't plan to explore much else until my Mercedes-Me subscription expires. I actually like using my MB onboard NAV system in the meantime.

I asked your question almost 200 posts ago (post #110, actually), and have gotten limited input/reviews. I hope someone else can note how well it works, especially for Navigation.

Last edited by DFWdude; 09-07-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2020 | 11:29 PM

2016 E350 Base
Yes I am an Android user, although my smartphone is from Dec. 2014, and its Android 5.0.2 OS barely meets the minimum requirement to run the Android Auto App.

I installed the AA/ACP upgrade, anticipating the expiration of my Mercedes-Me subscription. I like using the "Send2Benz" feature to remotely enter destinations. But that goes away October 15.

By this time I also hoped to buy a current Samsung S10 variant smartphone to work with the software upgrade. But the pandemic has re-ordered my priorities. So I probably will not have the new phone before Christmas.

Long-winded way of explaining that my current phone works with the upgrade, but just barely. It connects (when using the best USB cable I can find) as expected, and displays on the screen fine. But I won't plan to explore much else until my Mercedes-Me subscription expires. I actually like using my MB onboard NAV system in the meantime.

I asked your question almost 200 posts ago (post #110, actually), and have gotten limited input/reviews. I hope someone else can note how well it works, especially for Navigation.
Thank you sir - I appreciate the clarity in your answer.
Old 09-08-2020 | 06:06 PM

2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
I hope someone else can note how well it works, especially for Navigation.
FWIW, I don't have Android but Google maps on CarPlay is leaps beyond the MB system. It's not even close. I would find it hard to believe that the Android version plays second fiddle to the iOS version considering the source.

Also keep in mind that the OEM screen when using Android Auto or CarPlay is essentially just a monitor and everything originates in the phone, so the newer the operating system of the phone the better the experience (features, user interface, etc...)
Old 09-11-2020 | 11:22 AM

E350

I start with Waze each time I plug in the phone, which is almost every time I drive the car. I switch over to Google maps for navigation (instead of using Waze). Haven't used MB nav since AA.
Google phone dialer and VLC for music from my phone. All work great - sometimes I'll get a black screen if I switch back/forth between Maps and Waze, but I get that on the phone too. I just unplug and close all apps (on the phone) and plug back in. Voice commands are currently broken, but that's an AA bug.
We'll see how Android 11 works soon.
The following users liked this post:
DFWdude (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020 | 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by mbMJDude
I start with Waze each time I plug in the phone, which is almost every time I drive the car. I switch over to Google maps for navigation (instead of using Waze). Haven't used MB nav since AA.
Google phone dialer and VLC for music from my phone. All work great - sometimes I'll get a black screen if I switch back/forth between Maps and Waze, but I get that on the phone too. I just unplug and close all apps (on the phone) and plug back in. Voice commands are currently broken, but that's an AA bug.
We'll see how Android 11 works soon.
Good feedback. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2020 | 10:01 AM

E350
Hello revaido
I see you are in the UK, but it looks like VladimirCDI no longer posts his OBD dongle to the UK.

I have bought a chinese version and after many months of messing around it still isnt working.

How did you manage to get the OBD dongle to the UK

Cheers

A
Old 09-12-2020 | 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by dbplatypus3
Hello revaido
I see you are in the UK, but it looks like VladimirCDI no longer posts his OBD dongle to the UK.
I have bought a chinese version and after many months of messing around it still isnt working.
How did you manage to get the OBD dongle to the UK
Cheers
A
revaido has not posted in this thread for a couple months, now (post #267). I would send him a Private Message or email, instead.

Last edited by DFWdude; 09-12-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-13-2020 | 05:03 PM

2016 E350 Base
So here's a twist to this thread. I found this photo on Pinterest of an Alpine touchscreen unit on a W212. GO FIGURE!!! This I like.... Anybody?

Old 09-13-2020 | 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Looks like a tablet velcroed to the dash. I don't care for the tacked-on look. That's why I bought the 2016 E-Class, rather than a newer model.
Jules AMG (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020 | 08:50 AM

2000 CLK320 (SOLD); 2016 E400 4MATIC
I find it to be a personal preference but I agree with DFWdude, I prefer the stock look as opposed to an add-on. Less chance of crickets and rattles when opening up any compartment let alone add-ons.
Jules AMG (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020 | 12:50 PM

2016 E350 Base
Has anyone looked into this unit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274091591113?ul_noapp=true

It's a unit that basically replaces your current OEM screen and does not stand out like the 10.25 Android screen. It's a touch screen version of our current W212 OEM screen with all the Android bells. Just wondering out loud, as we all apparently want to enhance our current screen status.
Old 09-14-2020 | 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport

It's a unit that basically replaces your current OEM screen and does not stand out like the 10.25 Android screen. It's a touch screen version of our current W212 OEM screen with all the Android bells. Just wondering out loud, as we all apparently want to enhance our current screen status.
That looks interesting, and the touchscreen might be a plus. But I'm not going to tear my dash apart to install it. I have no squeaks or rattles at this point, and don't want to introduce any. Not to mention the many electronic things that can go wrong by introducing this unit, necessitating an expensive trip to the dealer, only to be told I'm on my own with my non-MB experiment.
Jules AMG (09-14-2020)
Old 09-15-2020 | 10:33 AM

2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350

IMHO, if you have a 2016, just get the firmware update for Comand and use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay from your phone and call it done.
The following 3 users liked this post by cadetdrivr:
Joe Alonso (09-15-2020), Jules AMG (09-15-2020), masads (09-15-2020)
Old 10-01-2020 | 01:40 PM

E350
So,

my chinese dongle didn’t work. I have an updated head unit to the correct version and I have now installed the hardware (never though supposedly unnecessary)

my local main agent refuses to provide any support even though I bought the hardware from them.

VladimirCDI no longer sells on eBay and is asking me to send him Ł150 via PayPal with no money back guarantees.

im a bit reluctant to do this.

is there anyone who lives close to the south west of England who would be prepared to sell me their dongle. If local I’ll gladly drive to you and use it there and pay you on successful activation.

any takers ?

Old 10-01-2020 | 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
So,

my chinese dongle didn’t work. I have an updated head unit to the correct version and I have now installed the hardware (never though supposedly unnecessary)

my local main agent refuses to provide any support even though I bought the hardware from them.

VladimirCDI no longer sells on eBay and is asking me to send him Ł150 via PayPal with no money back guarantees.

is there anyone who lives close to the south west of England who would be prepared to sell me their dongle. If local I’ll gladly drive to you and use it there and pay you on successful activation.

any takers ?
Supposedly, the dongle is a single use item that cannot be used on a second car.

I paid Vladimir via PayPal without problem.
Jules AMG (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020 | 02:26 PM

AMG 63S Estate
So,

any takers ?
I’d say to trust Vlad. I too paid him via PayPal with no issues at all. If I recall correctly he sold over 300+ units this way on EBay. Good luck with what you decide to do!
Old 10-02-2020 | 03:40 PM

2016 E350 Sport Wagon

VladimirCDI no longer sells on eBay
Vladimir is still selling on eBay. Here is his current Android auto/CarPlay listing: MERCEDES COMAND Audio20 CarPlay+Android Auto OBD unlock activator 2016-2019 cars
These are all of Vladmir's current Mercedes eBay listings: eBay MB items for sale from vladimircdi

- Longroof

Last edited by Longroof; 10-02-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2020 | 04:01 PM

E350
Yes but that listing clearly says items will not be shipped to the U.K.

maybe you only see that if you are in the U.K. ... but it’s in red ... and he doesn’t

Old 10-02-2020 | 06:01 PM

AMG 63S Estate
[QUOTE=dbplatypus3;8170155]Yes but that listing clearly says items will not be shipped to the U.K.

maybe you only see that if you are in the U.K. ... but it’s in red ... and he doesn’t[/QUOTE

Maybe find a friend outside of the UK who will order and ship it to you. 🤔
Old 10-13-2020 | 11:17 AM

E350
Success !

DFWDude - took your advice and put my faith in Vladimir, who indeed came good.

He requested payment via PayPal friends and family and true to his word sent the item by the required EMS tracked post.

good feedback throughout until delivery and one final hiccup - instructions say “press star” and I was pressing the star on the centre console ... rather than the asterisk on the comand head unit.

all installed, all works.

anyone considering doing this .... vladamirs dongle is expensive - but it does work and he is very helpful.

thanks to all the contributors of this thread .... it helped me solve a lot of issues !
The following 2 users liked this post by dbplatypus3:
DFWdude (10-13-2020), Jules AMG (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020 | 11:45 AM

2016 E350 wagon
Good to hear that dbplatypus3.
Jules AMG (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020 | 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
DFWDude - took your advice and put my faith in Vladimir, who indeed came good.

He requested payment via PayPal friends and family and true to his word sent the item by the required EMS tracked post.
Good to read you now have AA/ACP!

I don't know for sure, but I think Vladimir wants PP friends and family to get around paying import duties in UK, if sold traditionally as a "product." The F&F straight transfer can't be identified as a product transaction. Strange that we have to jump through these kind of hurdles, but Vlad has made hundreds of sales to hundreds of satisfied customers. So it's all good.
Jules AMG (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020 | 12:54 PM

E350
I did ask him why and he said he had had a lot of fraudulent refunds he had to pay through eBay. The buyers wouldn’t send him proof it didn’t work, but eBay forced him to refund.

Hence he sells outside of eBay and only sends direct.

Either way, he fulfilled all his obligations and I was just posting here to verify that he is an honorable seller whether inside or outside of eBay.

i myself felt uncomfortable as there are many “fraud” claims about people using PayPal friends and family.
i did as much due diligence as possible and am just writing here to inform people of the positive outcome.
Jules AMG (10-13-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Android Auto in 2016 W212