E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

How many more miles can I expect?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
How many more miles can I expect?

hi all, recently I got my eyes on a 2014 Mercedes E350 coupe, and it has a whooping 80+K miles on it, but then I found out it was because the previous owner drove the car all the way from another state, so that explains the unusual high mileage. Other than that car looks awesome, clean Carfax clean title, no dents scratches or damage to paint. Nothing like that. Really well maintained and serviced. But I’m still a little concerned about the mileage. I’ve read that there are a lot of Mercedes that made to 1 million+ miles with just regular maintenance. But since I’ve never owned a Mercedes before I can’t tell if it’s true or not. The cars I’ve owned all started having problems when it reached above 50K miles or after some years. But since this is a high quality luxury vehicle I got my hopes up a little higher. Just wanted ask you all if this car is something that’s worth it in the long run and can last a lifetime with good maintenance. Also does it often have problems like mechanical problems? Since you know it’s almost a 5 year old car with a little bit of miles on it. Would I expect to see problems that needs to be repaired soon or am I worrying too much?
Thank you guys this might be my first luxury car so I really wanna know if it’s a good and reliable vehicle. Thank you very much! I really plan on driving it for a long long time since I really like it. Please only accurate information only
Old 10-03-2018, 11:18 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
So basically it seems to be a daily driver car that the previous owner drove a bit over 20K a year. Not outrageous mileage for a vehicle used for daily commutes, if that is how the previous owner used it. As with any used vehicle, always have it checked out by a trusted mechanic with experience servicing MB vehicles. These are not Chevys, Camrys or Hondas, so you need to use a mechanic with experience in knowing what to look for on a MB. Never assume that because it looks good, that the vehicle has been properly maintained. Same as you would do when buying any used vehicle and more important when buying any used luxury vehicle, as parts for luxury vehicles are substantially higher priced.

For for the vehicle going to 1,000,000 miles, those stories largely refer to much older MB that were much simpler mechanically, largely built like a tank and impeccably maintained. Sorry, but no one builds cars that way anymore, so you might want to lower your expectations just a bit to reflect today's reality. However, you should be able to easily get 250K to 350K, which is still quite good. So just keep the vehicle religiously maintained.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:23 PM

none
Originally Posted by PaulE550
So basically it seems to be a daily driver car that the previous owner drove a bit over 20K a year. Not outrageous mileage for a vehicle used for daily commutes, if that is how the previous owner used it. As with any used vehicle, always have it checked out by a trusted mechanic with experience servicing MB vehicles. These are not Chevys, Camrys or Hondas, so you need to use a mechanic with experience in knowing what to look for on a MB. Never assume that because it looks good, that the vehicle has been properly maintained. Same as you would do when buying any used vehicle and more important when buying any used luxury vehicle, as parts for luxury vehicles are substantially higher priced.

For for the vehicle going to 1,000,000 miles, those stories largely refer to much older MB that were much simpler mechanically, largely built like a tank and impeccably maintained. Sorry, but no one builds cars that way anymore, so you might want to lower your expectations just a bit to reflect today's reality. However, you should be able to easily get 250K to 350K, which is still quite good. So just keep the vehicle religiously maintained.
thank you for your reply. It was really helpful. I’m definitely bringing someone that knows cars mechanically with me when buying. Unfortunately I don’t have any friends that’s expert at Mercedes but I think a good mechanic will do the job just as well. But I definitely agree with you. Nothing beats a well maintained car! It is a true regret that like you said, they don’t build them like those anymore!
Old 10-03-2018, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 837 Likes on 606 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by ElCapitanClint
hi all, recently I got my eyes on a 2014 Mercedes E350 coupe, and it has a whooping 80+K miles on it, but then I found out it was because the previous owner drove the car all the way from another state, so that explains the unusual high mileage. Other than that car looks awesome, clean Carfax clean title, no dents scratches or damage to paint. Nothing like that. Really well maintained and serviced. But I’m still a little concerned about the mileage. I’ve read that there are a lot of Mercedes that made to 1 million+ miles with just regular maintenance. But since I’ve never owned a Mercedes before I can’t tell if it’s true or not. The cars I’ve owned all started having problems when it reached above 50K miles or after some years. But since this is a high quality luxury vehicle I got my hopes up a little higher. Just wanted ask you all if this car is something that’s worth it in the long run and can last a lifetime with good maintenance. Also does it often have problems like mechanical problems? Since you know it’s almost a 5 year old car with a little bit of miles on it. Would I expect to see problems that needs to be repaired soon or am I worrying too much?
Thank you guys this might be my first luxury car so I really wanna know if it’s a good and reliable vehicle. Thank you very much! I really plan on driving it for a long long time since I really like it. Please only accurate information only
It all depends but I can tell you I have a 2010 E550 with 154 674 miles on the clock. I change my oil every 5000 miles and when I change the oil it is almost as clean as new oil I pour in the engine.

These cars can go for a long time and mileage if maintained correctly. One question for the seller to ask is when was the oil changed last and AFTER that pull the dip stick out and see what it looks like. If after about 5000 - 6000 miles the oil is all black there may be an issue. My car has all the 150 000+ miles and does not burn a drop of oil but the thing here is that my miles are 85% highway. In real world of wearing the car out highway miles count only 1/3 or less compared to city traffic car. On a highway there is very little in the car that wears and faster you go the better the lubrication works.

Bigger problem with these cars is the electronics put in them.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:33 PM

none
Originally Posted by Arrie
It all depends but I can tell you I have a 2010 E550 with 154 674 miles on the clock. I change my oil every 5000 miles and when I change the oil it is almost as clean as new oil I pour in the engine.

These cars can go for a long time and mileage if maintained correctly. One question for the seller to ask is when was the oil changed last and AFTER that pull the dip stick out and see what it looks like. If after about 5000 - 6000 miles the oil is all black there may be an issue. My car has all the 150 000+ miles and does not burn a drop of oil but the thing here is that my miles are 85% highway. In real world of wearing the car out highway miles count only 1/3 or less compared to city traffic car. On a highway there is very little in the car that wears and faster you go the better the lubrication works.

Bigger problem with these cars is the electronics put in them.
thank you for the reply. According to the Carfax history the last oil change was back in March (the time it was offered for sale) so they did some maintaince when selling the car. (It’s been on sale for awhile but that’s a good thing because they lowered the price hoping to sell it faster) But thank you for the tip I will definitely check out the oil, hopefully everything is working fine.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 837 Likes on 606 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine

thank you for the reply. According to the Carfax history the last oil change was back in March (the time it was offered for sale) so they did some maintaince when selling the car. (It’s been on sale for awhile but that’s a good thing because they lowered the price hoping to sell it faster) But thank you for the tip I will definitely check out the oil, hopefully everything is working fine.
The car bug has bitten you so you need to fight a little bit. Do not go buying something you later regret meaning there are lots of these cars to pick from. But hey, the one you have found might also be the one to get.

What kind of money they ask? Some other troopers on this site could shed light to that side of the deal.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:07 AM

none
Originally Posted by Arrie
The car bug has bitten you so you need to fight a little bit. Do not go buying something you later regret meaning there are lots of these cars to pick from. But hey, the one you have found might also be the one to get.

What kind of money they ask? Some other troopers on this site could shed light to that side of the deal.
they have lowered the price from $26K to $18K, which was ridiculous. NO one is gonna buy it for $26K lol. Not with this much mileage. They probably realized that too and I think another reason might be that it’s almost end of the year so cars will starting to have even lower prices. It’s a great deal. Not just on this car but so many cars prices are starting to down. If you wanna buy a car now is the time!
Old 10-04-2018, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
These are very solid cars and you have received some great advice. One post alluded to the electronics. The MB systems are complicated, but pretty reliable. There are special diagnostic requirements specific to MB to sort some issues and parts cost more than a Ford. More and more cars are loaded up with LED lights, driver assist packages,etc so issues with these systems are not only limited to MB and other high end autos. I buy them for safety, performance, style and the way they pilot down the road in comfort. $18K for a coupe sounds like a very good price.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:08 PM

none
Originally Posted by KEY08
These are very solid cars and you have received some great advice. One post alluded to the electronics. The MB systems are complicated, but pretty reliable. There are special diagnostic requirements specific to MB to sort some issues and parts cost more than a Ford. More and more cars are loaded up with LED lights, driver assist packages,etc so issues with these systems are not only limited to MB and other high end autos. I buy them for safety, performance, style and the way they pilot down the road in comfort. $18K for a coupe sounds like a very good price.
thank you for your reply. I also believe they are great cars. And very beautifully designed. I actually prefer this previous generation much better than their new curved round design and those singled browed headlights. Something is just missing. Not mentioning how much weaker the new engines are. And indeed it is an amazing price.
Btw I see your profile pic and I’m a big mustang fan too. Nice color combo.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Btw I see your profile pic and I’m a big mustang fan too. Nice color combo.
Thanks. The GT350 is my track car.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
As for driving from one state to another, it is about 2,700 miles from New York city to LA. No contribution to 80,000 miles. Previous owner either just drove it a lot or used it in business requiring lots of very long trips.
The older M-B's that racked up millions of miles were simpler (as already mentioned) and also very, very well maintained by experts at high costs.
To me from my experience with M-B is that the engine and transmission are not likely to be a problem. But everything else is. Especially the electronics and there are a lot of electronics that control the engine, the transmission, audio, HVAC, safety, ad infinitum. M-B electronics, again in my experience, are less reliable than other companies. Although I suspect that may be true of all European cars.
Electronics are very hard to diagnose and repair. They are even problematic for dealers to diagnose and repair.
CarFax will only tell you some things, but not a lot. I have had cars that suffered thousands of dollars in damage and it never showed up on Carfax, even though insurance paid for repairs.
Sorry to sound so negative, but you asked.
For a positive, I still really like my E350, but it only has 30,000 miles on it and is exclusively serviced by an M-B service center. As you noted the styling is much better than on the current models.
One consideration, was the 2014 "E" Coupe based on "C" class underpinnings? It was in 2010. If so, may want to ask this question on the "C" class also.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:29 PM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
W123 300CD, R107 560SL, W211 E320
Failures on the newer Benz are generally in the peripherals, not the basic drive train or structure. As all manufacturers, Benz is forced in to the technology wars in order to be competitive. To support other comments:

My 1983 daily driver

Just turned 378000 miles and more every day. No electronic wizardry.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:12 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by rocky raccoon
Failures on the newer Benz are generally in the peripherals, not the basic drive train or structure. As all manufacturers, Benz is forced in to the technology wars in order to be competitive. To support other comments:

My 1983 daily driver

Just turned 378000 miles and more every day. No electronic wizardry.
Looks like you've kept your car in great shape. Your comments match up with those I've heard from dozens of owners of older MB models over the years. All of them have kept their cars meticulously maintained either via a MB service center or an indy shop specializing in MB. None of them trusting the local cut rate mechanic to do any maintenance or repairs the right way. Like all luxury cars, not just MB, if you want to keep it long-term it costs money but it is worth it. The highest mileage MB I've seen had over 685,000 miles and was from 1957, but ran like it just rolled off the line yesterday. Truly impressive example of build quality that MB was famous for. Obviously it was not filled with computerized everything like today''s cars, but most customers seem to demand electronic assist for almost all aspects of driving today.

We don't actually drive our cars today, as simply provide driver feedback to the typical 60 plus computerized subsystems that control our vehicles. The term "fly by wire" being really applicable to what modern cars have evolved to. So yes, with so much computerization and electronics in our cars, that is what will fail first. Not the mechanical subsystems. The electronics in our cars are exposed to great operating extremes on a regular basis, so they simply deteriorate faster. The more electronic options and computerization, the more potential points of failure that might occur over time. Just something to plan for and expect as a potential repair cost.