Steering column doesnt always go down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Steering column doesnt always go down

Sometimes it goes down and sometimes i have to use the adjuster to bring it back to my preferred position..
any ideas?
at first i thought something inside is broken, but now im thinking it has to do something with modules because before i didnt have this happenin
Old 10-22-2018, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
I had similar issues a year ago. Sometimes it would work, other times it won't unless I manually move the adjuster up/down many times. I thought maybe it was corroded contacts or something with the switch.
Took it in to the dealer, they told me there's a plastic "Bone" like piece inside that has tendency to break. When it breaks it sometimes causes the motor to jam. They ended up replacing the whole motor assembly. It was under extended warranty so no cost.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
2014 E350 W212
had a similar experience with easy entry / exit system... where it would work only intermittently... dealer advised they reset the system and all worked again... for about a month... then same issue presented itself, only this time no tilt function at all... dealer then replaced tilt / telescope motor... all has worked since... so i suspect the motor may going out...

does the tilt / telescope function work every time you manipulate the manual controls? are there any odd sounds it makes when it is working?

Last edited by PatrixUSA; 10-22-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
had a similar experience with easy entry / exit system... where it would work only intermittently... dealer advised they reset the system and all worked again... for about a month... then same issue presented itself, only this time no tilt function at all... dealer then replaced tilt / telescope motor... all has worked since... so i suspect the motor may going out...

does the tilt / telescope function work every time you manipulate the manual controls? are there any odd sounds it makes when it is working?
well i get in the car , i start it but the steering wheel stays at the highest position , so then i try to move it down by pressing the knob down but it wouldnt go down , then what i have found that works , is when i push the knob up and then down immediately it would work and go down with no problem. Sometimes it happens this way , sometime it would just work from the very first time when i push it down.

Really odd , but mostly happens when i park the car in the morning and then after a work day when im
about to drive home , it does it.
on short trips it works no problem.

also there was one time where i had to drive with the steering wheel up all the way because i couldnt bring it down lol... nkt too comfortable i gotta tell ya
Old 10-22-2018, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
2014 E350 W212
^ ^ sounds much like the intermittent function i experienced... which turned out to be the motor... i guess the only way to know for sure is to have a dealer test / troubleshoot - unless you know of some way to test / diagnose the motor function... any warranty left on the car (perhaps extended)?
Old 10-23-2018, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by thenew3
I had similar issues a year ago. Sometimes it would work, other times it won't unless I manually move the adjuster up/down many times. I thought maybe it was corroded contacts or something with the switch.
Took it in to the dealer, they told me there's a plastic "Bone" like piece inside that has tendency to break. When it breaks it sometimes causes the motor to jam. They ended up replacing the whole motor assembly. It was under extended warranty so no cost.
That was also a common problem on the W211. I ended up disabling that feature. Basically that bone is kinda weak and if you put your weight on the steering wheel while it's going up or down, it tends to break that bone piece.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:24 AM

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
'76 Triumph TR6, '14 W212 Sport, '09 Audi S5 4.2
On my car, the steering wheel just stopped moving up/down period. Took it in under warranty, and literally the writeup I got back on the service report was "motor seized, hit with hammer numerous times, started working again". I'm not kidding. THIS WAS FROM THE DEALER.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
^ ^ sounds much like the intermittent function i experienced... which turned out to be the motor... i guess the only way to know for sure is to have a dealer test / troubleshoot - unless you know of some way to test / diagnose the motor function... any warranty left on the car (perhaps extended)?
nah man , no warranty of any kind.
i guess im gonna have to deal with it or disable it.

From what i see its a somewhat common issue.
and while it is annoying ill leave it as is.....for now.
appreciate all the help.