Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W212)
Steering column doesnt always go down >

Steering column doesnt always go down

Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Steering column doesnt always go down

 
Old 10-22-2018, 10:29 AM
  #1  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
belarus27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sacramento , CA
Posts: 1,802
Received 154 Likes on 145 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Steering column doesnt always go down

Sometimes it goes down and sometimes i have to use the adjuster to bring it back to my preferred position..
any ideas?
at first i thought something inside is broken, but now im thinking it has to do something with modules because before i didnt have this happenin
belarus27 is offline  
Old 10-22-2018, 12:56 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
thenew3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Carmel, CA
Posts: 1,041
Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts
2013 E350 Sport Wagon, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
I had similar issues a year ago. Sometimes it would work, other times it won't unless I manually move the adjuster up/down many times. I thought maybe it was corroded contacts or something with the switch.
Took it in to the dealer, they told me there's a plastic "Bone" like piece inside that has tendency to break. When it breaks it sometimes causes the motor to jam. They ended up replacing the whole motor assembly. It was under extended warranty so no cost.
thenew3 is offline  
Old 10-22-2018, 04:05 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
PatrixUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 1,692
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
2014 E350 W212
had a similar experience with easy entry / exit system... where it would work only intermittently... dealer advised they reset the system and all worked again... for about a month... then same issue presented itself, only this time no tilt function at all... dealer then replaced tilt / telescope motor... all has worked since... so i suspect the motor may going out...

does the tilt / telescope function work every time you manipulate the manual controls? are there any odd sounds it makes when it is working?

Last edited by PatrixUSA; 10-22-2018 at 06:30 PM.
PatrixUSA is offline  
Old 10-22-2018, 07:29 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
belarus27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sacramento , CA
Posts: 1,802
Received 154 Likes on 145 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by PatrixUSA View Post
had a similar experience with easy entry / exit system... where it would work only intermittently... dealer advised they reset the system and all worked again... for about a month... then same issue presented itself, only this time no tilt function at all... dealer then replaced tilt / telescope motor... all has worked since... so i suspect the motor may going out...

does the tilt / telescope function work every time you manipulate the manual controls? are there any odd sounds it makes when it is working?
well i get in the car , i start it but the steering wheel stays at the highest position , so then i try to move it down by pressing the knob down but it wouldnt go down , then what i have found that works , is when i push the knob up and then down immediately it would work and go down with no problem. Sometimes it happens this way , sometime it would just work from the very first time when i push it down.

Really odd , but mostly happens when i park the car in the morning and then after a work day when im
about to drive home , it does it.
on short trips it works no problem.

also there was one time where i had to drive with the steering wheel up all the way because i couldnt bring it down lol... nkt too comfortable i gotta tell ya
belarus27 is offline  
Old 10-22-2018, 07:34 PM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
PatrixUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 1,692
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
2014 E350 W212
^ ^ sounds much like the intermittent function i experienced... which turned out to be the motor... i guess the only way to know for sure is to have a dealer test / troubleshoot - unless you know of some way to test / diagnose the motor function... any warranty left on the car (perhaps extended)?
PatrixUSA is offline  
Old 10-23-2018, 02:20 AM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
cetialpha5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 3,472
Received 365 Likes on 327 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
I had similar issues a year ago. Sometimes it would work, other times it won't unless I manually move the adjuster up/down many times. I thought maybe it was corroded contacts or something with the switch.
Took it in to the dealer, they told me there's a plastic "Bone" like piece inside that has tendency to break. When it breaks it sometimes causes the motor to jam. They ended up replacing the whole motor assembly. It was under extended warranty so no cost.
That was also a common problem on the W211. I ended up disabling that feature. Basically that bone is kinda weak and if you put your weight on the steering wheel while it's going up or down, it tends to break that bone piece.
cetialpha5 is offline  
Old 10-23-2018, 04:24 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Mountaintop, PA
Posts: 288
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
'76 Triumph TR6, '14 W212 Sport, '09 Audi S5 4.2
On my car, the steering wheel just stopped moving up/down period. Took it in under warranty, and literally the writeup I got back on the service report was "motor seized, hit with hammer numerous times, started working again". I'm not kidding. THIS WAS FROM THE DEALER.
Darel is offline  
Old 10-23-2018, 10:29 AM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
belarus27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sacramento , CA
Posts: 1,802
Received 154 Likes on 145 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by PatrixUSA View Post
^ ^ sounds much like the intermittent function i experienced... which turned out to be the motor... i guess the only way to know for sure is to have a dealer test / troubleshoot - unless you know of some way to test / diagnose the motor function... any warranty left on the car (perhaps extended)?
nah man , no warranty of any kind.
i guess im gonna have to deal with it or disable it.

From what i see its a somewhat common issue.
and while it is annoying ill leave it as is.....for now.
appreciate all the help.
belarus27 is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Steering column doesnt always go down


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: