E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Forged Wheel Repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 11:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 CLS S-Model
Forged Wheel Repair

Can this be repaired? Where and contact info, please? Thank you.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 635 Likes on 473 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
As an Engineer; I wouldn't repair as it would not be as strong and prone to more cracking since an aluminum alloy.

They have to machine all material away from crack and find end where you need to drill hole. then it has to be welded up properly and possibly heat treated and then machined.

In mean time the wheel can warp and get out of round due to adding heat from welding.

Now I am sure peeps and businesses out there say they can repair... but I am more safety prone for rotating structures.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by ygmn
As an Engineer; I wouldn't repair as it would not be as strong and prone to more cracking since an aluminum alloy.

They have to machine all material away from crack and find end where you need to drill hole. then it has to be welded up properly and possibly heat treated and then machined.

In mean time the wheel can warp and get out of round due to adding heat from welding.

Now I am sure peeps and businesses out there say they can repair... but I am more safety prone for rotating structures.
I agree
Old 12-03-2018, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by ygmn

Welds are usually stronger than the original although you have a point about it being weaker near the weld. However it's unlikely that you'll have a second impact at the exact same spot, sorta like hitting the lottery twice.

As for who can do it, check with a local tire shop, they usually run into those all the time and can recommend a local shop. Might not be worth it to get it repaired though as a used/refurbished rim on eBay can sometimes be cheaper.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
Weld metal is stonger but also more brittle hence prone to more cracking.... then have a NON certified welder do it and not have correct filler metal or gas or procedures or machine setup and even moer prone to cracking.
TO weld properly you would also need to know the exact material wheel is made from... which is hard to find as OEMS keep that info protected.

would not take an impact to make it crack again... any harmonic like out of balance.. flat spot tire....
plenty of rocks in tread....

Just not worth a life IMHO....

A new wheel is not that much money.......
Old 12-04-2018, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
How this happen?
I don't see any mechanical damage, but see deep crack, that appears to be stress crack.
That would indicate whole wheel is having problem with internal stress.
The crack is in tire sealing point. Even if you find good welder, it is going to be hard for the wheel to hold the air.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:03 PM

2016 CLS S-Model
Agreed. The tire shops tell me it's the local potholes. I am careful to avoid them but at 100+ mph I miss seeing a few. It's weird because I curb rashed both my front wheels after I purchased the vehicle, but this crack isn't opposite or that close to the outside curb rash point. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
Originally Posted by Kei2thehwy
Agreed. The tire shops tell me it's the local potholes. I am careful to avoid them but at 100+ mph I miss seeing a few. It's weird because I curb rashed both my front wheels after I purchased the vehicle, but this crack isn't opposite or that close to the outside curb rash point. Thanks.
Curb rash is different in it is like SANDING the wheel but with 16 grit sand paper.
Also you think a pothole would bend this outer part of wheel.
How ever it happend I hope it does not happen again.

Buy new wheel - or use this as excuse to get 4 new wheels of your liking.. and then seel off your other 3 individually to anyone who has severe curb rash or cracked wheel...
OR
Turn this wheel into a nice piece of Clock, artwork or furniture?
Maybe the base of a stool?
Side Table - add post and glass top.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:22 AM

2016 CLS S-Model
That's the plan. Recond. wheel arrives today. Almost had to go with plan B. Thanks.

Last edited by Kei2thehwy; 12-05-2018 at 09:25 AM.