Service B due but already did cabin filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Service B due but already did cabin filter

Time for my annual service and the car reminded me that a Service B is coming due. My local dealers charge about $430 for Service B (not including brake fluid with is another $120 or so) versus about $250 for a Service A. I was looking at the maintenance manual for the differences between Service A and B. AFAIK, the Service B adds the cabin filter and a bunch of inspections of the drive belt, brakes, steering components, etc. Since brake fluid change is extra (and I plan on getting that done anyway), that means the extra $180 is just for the cabin filter with install labor and labor for inspections. However, I changed the cabin filter myself about 6 months ago and don't think it is needed right now (especially at their prices). And I got the brake rotors and pads done about 4 months ago so that is all tip top. And I can just spot check the drive belt myself. Seems like a waste to pay for Service B in my case. I do have an extended warranty that's good for about another year of driving but I am not worried about documenting what I did myself.

Maybe I should just ask for a Service A instead of asking them to remove the cabin filter from Service B (thinking they'd just subtract $80 for the part). Anyone thoughts on this approach?

I plan on calling a couple local mechanics for their prices, but with the $150 off $300 MB coupon, I doubt they will be competitive and they don't give loaners like the dealer does.

Last edited by thefisch; 12-12-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by thefisch
Time for my annual service and the car reminded me that a Service B is coming due. My local dealers charge about $430 for Service B (not including brake fluid with is another $120 or so) versus about $250 for a Service A. I was looking at the maintenance manual for the differences between Service A and B. AFAIK, the Service B adds the cabin filter and a bunch of inspections of the drive belt, brakes, steering components, etc. Since brake fluid change is extra (and I plan on getting that done anyway), that means the extra $180 is just for the cabin filter with install labor and labor for inspections. However, I changed the cabin filter myself about 6 months ago and don't think it is needed right now (especially at their prices). And I got the brake rotors and pads done about 4 months ago so that is all tip top. And I can just spot check the drive belt myself. Seems like a waste to pay for Service B in my case. I do have an extended warranty that's good for about another year of driving but I am not worried about documenting what I did myself.

Maybe I should just ask for a Service A instead of asking them to remove the cabin filter from Service B (thinking they'd just subtract $80 for the part). Anyone thoughts on this approach?

I plan on calling a couple local mechanics for their prices, but with the $150 off $300 MB coupon, I doubt they will be competitive and they don't give loaners like the dealer does.
absolutely do not do service B. It’s a ripoff. You can do service A plus brake fluid flush and use your coupon or just do an oil change and brake fluid flush. My dealer charges $165 for the oil change and $195 for the brake fluid flush. $360-$150 coupon = around $210. That’s what I did last year.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 472 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Service B should be everything listed in Service B otherwise the price they quote for Service B with the adder for brake fluid is kind of a SHAM.
Maybe try another dealer or ask them What does their service B include? since they are not going by the book anymore.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
All MB dealers will have the tech pour over your car anyway so they can generate the punch card of additional services they think your car needs. Count on that.
B service is also to include new batteries for the keyless go remote, so that's a big one. lol Yeah, I think an A service is the way to go in your case with the brake fluid exchange. My ticket shows a cost of $108.00 for the combination filter, which I know is inflated. I am unable to lay on my back and change that out.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
To pay that kind of money for a B service and then pay extra for the brake fluid is bogus. That's the main cost of B service is the brake fluid exchange and should be included in the cost of the service. I'd try another dealer.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
A year ago I had a standard "B" service for $550 less a discount of $50. This included O&F, cabin filter, tire rotation and brake fluid flush.
On the other hand I have just done an "A" service and maybe added something to it, such as a transmission flush or engine air filter as I sometimes delay those due to low mileage. SA has no problem with it and even concurs in delaying some things.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by ygmn
Service B should be everything listed in Service B otherwise the price they quote for Service B with the adder for brake fluid is kind of a SHAM.
Maybe try another dealer or ask them What does their service B include? since they are not going by the book anymore.
Originally Posted by rustybear3
To pay that kind of money for a B service and then pay extra for the brake fluid is bogus. That's the main cost of B service is the brake fluid exchange and should be included in the cost of the service. I'd try another dealer.
Originally Posted by El Cid
A year ago I had a standard "B" service for $550 less a discount of $50. This included O&F, cabin filter, tire rotation and brake fluid flush.
On the other hand I have just done an "A" service and maybe added something to it, such as a transmission flush or engine air filter as I sometimes delay those due to low mileage. SA has no problem with it and even concurs in delaying some things.
Interesting that your dealers include the brake fluid change in the Service B. Like you, I've reviewed the maintenance manual chart that shows brake fluid as a required item so you would think it is included in the price of Service B. But I called the 3 dealers within an hour of me and they all charge separately for brake fluid. Even the two indy's I called have a separate price for brake fluid. One explained that some customers opt to get brake fluid done every 2 years if even more than 20k miles have passed. The dealer prices for Service B ranged from $370-$400 and the brake fluid ranged from $120-$160. That puts the B plus cost of separate brake fluid service in the range that El Cid paid around $550 (before coupons).

As anticipated, the indy shops were less expensive. $300-360 for service B and $75-110 for brake fluid. But considering the $150 off $300 coupon, I will probably end up at the dealer since it is about the same cost and they will give me a loaner, snacks, etc.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by KEY08
All MB dealers will have the tech pour over your car anyway so they can generate the punch card of additional services they think your car needs. Count on that.
B service is also to include new batteries for the keyless go remote, so that's a big one. lol Yeah, I think an A service is the way to go in your case with the brake fluid exchange. My ticket shows a cost of $108.00 for the combination filter, which I know is inflated. I am unable to lay on my back and change that out.
Sorry to hear about your back. Cabin filters and batteries are about the only DIY I can handle. No fun laying on my side or back trying to yank that filter out of the housing.

I didn't bother to ask all the places I called about the savings for skipping the cabin filter but $100 less would be nice. I figured that's better to handle in person with the SA than over the phone with whoever answered. However, one of the indys I called was very detailed about everything over the phone and when I told him that I didn't need the filter he said they would take $40 off the bill. Only $40! When I suggested that I should just get a service A instead he told me that was not recommended to skip the B service. Made me feel like their A service is just an overpriced oil change and the B service is the only time they actually look at the car. Doubt I will be going there.
The following users liked this post:
KEY08 (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting that your dealers include the brake fluid change in the Service B. Like you, I've reviewed the maintenance manual chart that shows brake fluid as a required item so you would think it is included in the price of Service B. But I called the 3 dealers within an hour of me and they all charge separately for brake fluid. Even the two indy's I called have a separate price for brake fluid. One explained that some customers opt to get brake fluid done every 2 years if even more than 20k miles have passed. The dealer prices for Service B ranged from $370-$400 and the brake fluid ranged from $120-$160. That puts the B plus cost of separate brake fluid service in the range that El Cid paid around $550 (before coupons).

As anticipated, the indy shops were less expensive. $300-360 for service B and $75-110 for brake fluid. But considering the $150 off $300 coupon, I will probably end up at the dealer since it is about the same cost and they will give me a loaner, snacks, etc.
May be semantics, but you refer to brake fluid whereas the actual service I get is a brake flush. There is a difference. One is draining old fluid and adding new. Flush is to do that, but also to flush out the system - an extra step in the process.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
That distinction may explain why the prices for brake fluid service varied. I did not inquire of the details of the service so that's just a guess on my part.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 472 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Just read my 2015 maintenance booklet in my glove box = Brake Fluid change every 2 years.

Then read MB Service Sheet Doc# P-2374-212-15B (09/15) (Found on here somewhere) = B Service Replace Brake Fluid
I notice a few other minor differences not worth mentioning.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
One of the indys will complete a Service B without the cabin filter for about $220. So that would make both services about $300 (plus shop fees and taxes). That is about the same cost after $150 coupon at the dealer for a Service A ($250) and brake fluid (at least $120). I may just send up taking it there instead of going to dealer and hassling with getting a Service A done when the car says Service B is due.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
So I ended up taking the car to the closest dealer and the service advisor was very accommodating. Their brake fluid service is a flush and they charge $150 - it is not included in their service B which is normally almost $400. When I explained that I had replaced the cabin filter myself recently, he immediately suggested getting just the service A done to save money without me bringing it up. He said they will do the other necessary inspections anyway. So I should only pay about $250 net for the Service A and brake fluid flush (net of the $150 off $300 coupon).

Plus, while it's there, they are checking over the air springs, mounts and other stuff based on the symptoms I explained to them. Not sure what they will find but they have my extended warranty info and I have a loaner car in the meantime which I didn't expect since I made the appointment only 2 days earlier.

They gave me a 2019 CLA250 and I don't think I will getting one of these anytime soon. Doesn't feel at all like what I am used to and the 4 banger is much louder and the transmission shifts are much more noticeable even under light acceleration. Worst part is the eco stop/start. Not sure if they are all this bad but this one seems very jerky. It's kind of annoying having the engine fire up each time I let off the brake to creep up in traffic only to cut off 10 seconds later. And when it's time to go, the engine fires up rather loudly and then hesitates as you give it some gas even under light acceleration. I realize it would take some getting used to but it doesn't inspire confidence like when making a right turn onto a busy road from a stop.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
So they've had my car all week. Apparently the extended warranty company requires an inspector to come out and verify the issues. That got approved so they have started on the repairs. I don't have all the details as I am out of town but it appears my car is getting new rear air springs, engine mounts, transmission mount, oil sending unit (due to false check oil warning) and washer fluid tank (due to leak). Will report back when I go to pick and up and go over the details.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Glad you are getting this all taken care of, Fisch. Just drove 1100 miles in 2 days to a family reunion. These are such great highway cruisers.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None of this should have gone wrong.

Plus, while it's there, they are checking over the air springs, mounts and other stuff based on the symptoms I explained to them. Not sure what they will find but they have my extended warranty info and I have a loaner car in the meantime which I didn't expect since I made the appointment only 2 days earlier.
None of this should have gone wrong, unless you are at about 150,000 miles or more.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
None of this should have gone wrong, unless you are at about 150,000 miles or more.
I agree that none of this should have gone wrong in less that 150K miles but you will need to replace your mounts well before then. It's one of the wonderful attributes of owning these cars.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I should be getting the car tomorrow and can update the details on the repairs. My early sense is that if these would have been on my dime then the result would be different
Old 12-31-2018, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
I agree that none of this should have gone wrong in less that 150K miles but you will need to replace your mounts well before then. It's one of the wonderful attributes of owning these cars.
I have driven several cars over 100,000 miles and never replaced motor mounts nor were they indicated as being a problem when I traded in the cars.
I don't consider excessive levels of maintenance to be an "attribute" or was that a joke?
Old 12-31-2018, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by jesser916

absolutely do not do service B. It’s a ripoff. You can do service A plus brake fluid flush and use your coupon or just do an oil change and brake fluid flush. My dealer charges $165 for the oil change and $195 for the brake fluid flush. $360-$150 coupon = around $210. That’s what I did last year.
you can definitely tell the dealer you only want an Oil change and skip the A or B service fees. my dealer in chicago wanted nearly 600 for the b-service and wouldnt do just the oil change per my request. so i took it to another dealer and got just the needed oil/filter change and brake flush for $300 total.

you can buy the cabin air filter for around $40 bucks and change that your self in 15 mins. dealer will charge you list price $60 for the filter (212-830-03-18) and 1/2 hour of labor to install and your bill will be $150 for just that (ripoff!)

FCP Euro offers the filter for $49 with a ***LIFETIME REPLACEMENT*** so you basically will never have to buy another cabin filter if get it from them.....
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...300318#fitment

Parts.com has the lowest prices on MB parts from what I've seen... filter is $40 from them but no lifetime replacement
https://www.parts.com/?fuseaction=st...nz-2015-Filter

Old 12-31-2018, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I have driven several cars over 100,000 miles and never replaced motor mounts nor were they indicated as being a problem when I traded in the cars.
I don't consider excessive levels of maintenance to be an "attribute" or was that a joke?
It wasn't meant to be a joke at all. It is an unfortunate reality of this chassis. What makes it most unfortunate is the they are a real biatch to replace on 4matics.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 12-31-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Basically MB uses liquid filled motor mounts which makes for a silky smooth ride when they're working, but once they collapse or leak, then you have to replace them. On other makes, they just use rubber mounts which last longer but it's not as smooth. There's trade offs to everything.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
So I got the car back but the service advisor was out. I only paid for the service A, brake flush and warranty deductible, less the $150 coupon. Everything seems fine with the car but I've left a message with the SA to call me to discuss the repairs further, just so I have more background. I will probably start a new thread on the warranty work since it's not related to the original subject of this one.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Started a new thread on the warranty work https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post7644034
Old 10-11-2021, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Service B at my dealer is $750.

There's a current offer being sent to Facebook members. After signing up for the offer I received an email that states "Campaign Code: 21620".

"Expertly trained technicians. Advanced diagnostic tools and testing. Mercedes‑Benz Genuine Parts. Convenient service options. All this, and savings of $150 on service of $300 or more* from September 1, 2021 until October 31, 2021. If you're looking for complete, comprehensive service, now is the time."

Last edited by E55 KEV; 10-11-2021 at 02:25 PM.