E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Furious over engine mounts!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 01:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E350
Furious over engine mounts!

So... I had a 2-year extended warranty which included motor mounts which expired 10/31/2018. I took the car to an authorized Mercedes repair shop (my regular guys) at the beginning of October to have them check out anything that I should take to the dealer for work. They had marked the motor mounts on my checklist of "to do's" in May 2018 at the last B service. Anyway, the mechanic on duty checked out the car and I specifically asked about the motor mounts, and he said, "No, good to go. Can't see any problems."

So today I go in for a parasitic battery drain check and the owner of the shop says, "You know, you gotta get those motor mounts done." I blew a gasket. $800.

I complained to my husband, whose done car work his entire life, and he said that rarely has he seen a situation where ALL motor mounts simultaneously fail. He said usually the back go first because of back spray of oil.

What do you think my course of action should be? The car at stop/idle has NO shaking. I never noticed any shaking. We bought the car at 40,000 miles, notw 65,000 on this 2011 E350.

I'm thinking to wait since this is not in our budget, or maybe ask the shop to just replace one bad mount. How many does my car have?

Thanks for your empathy...grrrrr
Old 12-21-2018, 02:23 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
You seem positive that the second shop told you the truth and the first shop did not. I'm not pulling for either one but were you able to verify either claim?
Car has 2 engine mounts and one transmission mount. In my case at 54k miles , all have been replaced under warranty so I understand your concern about them.
Maybe in years past oil spray was an issue but a car today with good gaskets and no leaks doesn't really see mounts deteriorated by oil as there would not be oil leaking or spraying around.
Old mounts will be compressed vs new mounts, ask one of those shops to verify their statement.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mud:
raja777m (12-21-2018), ratfancy (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 02:34 PM

2011 E350
All good info! Sorry if I wasn't clear. It was the same shop - just two different mechanics at two different times.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
If that’s the case, then have them replace them on their dime.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
As someone with an extended warranty ending in about a year, I find this very discouraging. I would make a stink about it. If they would have addressed it when noticed, it could have been done under warranty. Maybe they will give you some goodwill as consolation. Then again, when faced with covering some of the cost, they may admit that the mounts are still fine.

I've gotten in the habit of taking pictures of the issue when mechanics give recommendations and then get the work done later. That gives me time to come here to post them and get feedback so I have an understanding of what to expect when I go back. I've also had some mechanics back off the serious nature of the repair when showing it to me in person. Sure I've had some think I am a pain when I ask for them to show me what they are talking about but most have been very receptive as they think they are getting the work. A few times they were spot on and reasonable about what they recommended. But not always - at my last service (Honda), they told me the power steering pump was having signs of a leak despite no signs of fluid loss and they had a $600 quote ready for me. I asked them to show me and what they eventually showed me (after SA wasn't sure where PS pump was) was a lot of grime around the pump. I snapped some pics and thanked him and said I'd keep an eye on it. After cleaning off the grime (likely from spilled fluid never wiped off when PS pump was removed/reinstalled/refilled for timing belt service), there is no sign of a leak weeks later. Now how many folks would have just said alright and forked over $600. But I've had the same Honda dealer be spot on with other issues. So now I just don't trust anyone when it comes to car service (except the folks here) - I always verify.
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 07:10 PM

2011 E350
Very well reasoned, and excellent advice.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 939 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
If there is no shaking what is the basis for the diagnosis that they are needed? Why weren't they done when they were on the to do list? I think that you can go back to that and the fact that you had it in before the warranty expired and like has been said ask them to do it on their dime or a least have them do the labor for free.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:06 PM

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
I have had my own shop since 2013 and I worked for MB dealerships for about 7 years. Here is what I can tell you, no one at the dealer is allowed to do anything extra unless the customer is there specifically for that reason. For example, a technician doing a $1000 service on a vehicle that is about have it's factory or CPO warranty expire, will not be able to tell the customer about anything that is due and that is covered under warranty . That's just how dealerships work, everywhere! While the vehicle is under warranty nothing is wrong with the car. As soon as the warranty expires, now suddenly the vehicle needs motor mounts, bushings are torn and all kinds of repairs pop up. All my customers with vehicles under warranty that need any repairs, I prepare them before they go to the dealership with video clip and/or pictures of the items that I deem need to be done. And so far it has worked every time.
The following 2 users liked this post by MBENZTECH:
jahquan3 (12-27-2018), ygmn (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 472 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Originally Posted by MBENZTECH
I have had my own shop since 2013 and I worked for MB dealerships for about 7 years. Here is what I can tell you, no one at the dealer is allowed to do anything extra unless the customer is there specifically for that reason. For example, a technician doing a $1000 service on a vehicle that is about have it's factory or CPO warranty expire, will not be able to tell the customer about anything that is due and that is covered under warranty . That's just how dealerships work, everywhere! While the vehicle is under warranty nothing is wrong with the car. As soon as the warranty expires, now suddenly the vehicle needs motor mounts, bushings are torn and all kinds of repairs pop up. All my customers with vehicles under warranty that need any repairs, I prepare them before they go to the dealership with video clip and/or pictures of the items that I deem need to be done. And so far it has worked every time.
You sir sound like a good honest mechanic looking out for his customers!
Wish you were closer.
The following users liked this post:
sideman101 (01-07-2019)
Old 12-27-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
Originally Posted by MBENZTECH
An over simplification and an attempt to "paint" all dealerships with the same brush. Most every Policy and Procedures manual from major manufacturers will have the warning that dealers are not allowed to "sell" warranty work. This would not be an unreasonable warning. On the other hand, every manufacturer will encourage dealers to bring to the attention of the customer any conditions affecting safety or obvious repairs needed. This will improve customer satisfaction that all manufacturers are vitally interested in. People should all recognize the dealer is not "paying" for warranty work but to the opposite are being paid to do the warranty work by the manufacturer.