E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2010 E250 engine randomly cutting out without warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2019 | 09:45 PM

2010 E250
2010 E250 engine randomly cutting out without warning

Hi Everyone, new to the forum and I am looking for some advice on some issues I am having with my 2010 E250.

The main issue I am having with the vehicle is very randomly and infrequently the engine will cut off when I am driving at a low speed through a car park or stopped at a set of lights without warning.
When this happens I am always able to turn it back on straight away. Sometimes it will be driving a little rough and idling a bit rough after it has cut out and other times it won’t be.
This might happen a couple times in one day and then not happen again for a month or so.
The issue seems to be very random and I cant replicate the issue nor can my mechanic.

The only pattern that it seems to follow is the issue has never happened on a cold start it has always happened when I have driven the car somewhere parked it for a while and then got in the car to drive somewhere a couple of hours later.

I have been trying to resolve the issue for a while and various codes have come up related to camshaft and crankshaft sensors.

These are the codes I was getting before i put the car into the mechanic to get some of these sensors replaced.

P0336(31) – Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance

P0336(64) – Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance

P0373(3A) – Timing Reference High Resolution Signal A Intermittent/Erratic Pulses

P0016(00) – Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation(Bank 1 Sensor A)

After getting the camshaft and crankshaft sensors changed the issue has happened to me once in the past month so it doesn’t seem like the sensors were the issue and I am still getting the P0016 code and the new code I got that I haven’t had before is P2227 Barometric pressure Circuit Range/Performance.

Quick background on the car. It has done over 300k KMS and before I started having these issues I had my timing belt replaced as it was stretched and the car misfired a few times.
Other than that is serviced very regularly and is in great condition.

My mechanic can’t seem to pin point the issue and I am just wondering if anyone had any idea what my problem could be and where I should be looking?

Old 01-29-2019 | 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
If you're still getting timing correlation codes and Baro codes, you probably have a timing gear or chain issue. The baro pressure code means the sensor values don't agree with what they should be, which happens when you have a mechanical fault causing too much or not enough vacuum. I'd start with verifying the timing it on the marks, if you already did the new sensors.
Old 01-31-2019 | 06:34 PM

2010 E250
Thank you for your input, i will get the timing double checked and i will report back.
Old 11-06-2019 | 09:30 AM

2010 S400 hybrid, 2011 E350 and 2008 GL450
Originally Posted by rzzed
Hi Everyone, new to the forum and I am looking for some advice on some issues I am having with my 2010 E250.

The main issue I am having with the vehicle is very randomly and infrequently the engine will cut off when I am driving at a low speed through a car park or stopped at a set of lights without warning.
When this happens I am always able to turn it back on straight away. Sometimes it will be driving a little rough and idling a bit rough after it has cut out and other times it won’t be.
This might happen a couple times in one day and then not happen again for a month or so.
The issue seems to be very random and I cant replicate the issue nor can my mechanic.

The only pattern that it seems to follow is the issue has never happened on a cold start it has always happened when I have driven the car somewhere parked it for a while and then got in the car to drive somewhere a couple of hours later.

I have been trying to resolve the issue for a while and various codes have come up related to camshaft and crankshaft sensors.

These are the codes I was getting before i put the car into the mechanic to get some of these sensors replaced.

P0336(31) – Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance

P0336(64) – Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance

P0373(3A) – Timing Reference High Resolution Signal A Intermittent/Erratic Pulses

P0016(00) – Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation(Bank 1 Sensor A)

After getting the camshaft and crankshaft sensors changed the issue has happened to me once in the past month so it doesn’t seem like the sensors were the issue and I am still getting the P0016 code and the new code I got that I haven’t had before is P2227 Barometric pressure Circuit Range/Performance.

Quick background on the car. It has done over 300k KMS and before I started having these issues I had my timing belt replaced as it was stretched and the car misfired a few times.
Other than that is serviced very regularly and is in great condition.

My mechanic can’t seem to pin point the issue and I am just wondering if anyone had any idea what my problem could be and where I should be looking?
I had the same problem and took it to the dealership here in Atlanta and they quoted me over $20K for the repair, then a few days later, they repaired it under a recall. Paid 0 out of pocket. You may want to look into that.