E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

!!!PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 2011 Bluetec
!!!PLEASE HELP!! ROUGH SHIFTING W212

I’m in dire need of advice long story short I own a 2011 Bluetec with this smoke and pumping sound coming from underneath the hood please help attached is a video of what I saw can someone please point me in the right direction okay so accompanied with this is rough downshifting rough idle I’m the morning erratic up shifting when engine is cold I think okay gas mileage but idk no check engine light the engine temperature stays a bit over the 80 tailpipe kind off smell almost sweet but like chlorine please help
Attached Files

Last edited by W212noob; 02-25-2019 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Create more clarity
Old 02-24-2019, 06:17 PM

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
2013 SL550 BiTurbo
Hmmm...

Sweet smell could be coolant/HG leak. Is your coolant level low?
Old 02-24-2019, 06:39 PM

E350 2011 Bluetec
Not at all
Old 02-25-2019, 10:58 AM

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
2013 E550 4MATIC - P1, P2, SPORT
I don't know much at all about the Bluetec. Having said that, could it be something specifically associated with the diesel/Bluetec that's leaking? I can't imagine a "sweet" type of smell coming from most automotive smoke.
Also W212noob, you might benefit from changing the title to what the actual issue is. It might catch someone's eye as they're scrolling through the forum.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:02 PM

E350 2011 Bluetec
Originally Posted by TeeEl
I don't know much at all about the Bluetec. Having said that, could it be something specifically associated with the diesel/Bluetec that's leaking? I can't imagine a "sweet" type of smell coming from most automotive smoke.
Also W212noob, you might benefit from changing the title to what the actual issue is. It might catch someone's eye as they're scrolling through the forum.
thanks a lot I’m going to change when I get off work thanks again for your input
Old 02-25-2019, 01:12 PM

Received 223 Likes on 166 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
These issues may be unrelated, so I'll offer some help.

Video looks like a fluid dripping onto the exhaust. Find where it is coming from and look into it. Could be the Urea injection for the exhaust has a puncture in the line. That would address the smell.

Hard Shifting issues are common for the early 7 speed trans. You need to have the fluid level checked, and serviced every 39K miles, and this trans does not have a dip stick. Search for info on how to check. If no service record, it needs to be done NOW.

Rough idle at start can be dirty injectors, or bad glow plugs. Run a diesel injector cleaner through the next tank of fuel to see if that helps. If not, a glow plug service may be in order.

How many miles on this car?
Old 02-25-2019, 01:45 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 342 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Don't take this wrong but it's really helpful if you put some of the car history into your question. As mentioned above, what's the mileage? Any past maintenance known or where did the car come from, etc. If it's all unknown, then my opinion is to start from scratch and do the maintenance on oil/filter, air filter, belt, transmission, etc. Plus check stuff like brakes. That will give you a maintenance baseline on the car - these are not too bad to diy repairs, but very expensive if you have to take it in for ignored maintenance.
Although it may not show any current codes (CEL not illuminated) there's a good chance there may be pending codes. I'm a big believer in looking at running real-time data on any engine, even if running well - it can often show a weak area, but of course you need to know what you're looking at.
I agree about the comment that something appears to be dripping onto the exhaust, you see smoke puff, then stops, then another puff. Smoke doesn't look blue like oil, looks whitish like coolant.
So my summary is to get it up on a rack to have a close look and use a scantool to see how the engine is running.
Generic obd2 scantool will show codes and overall run data, something like icarsoft v2.0 for MB can look at all of the vehicle module values, including transmission. Otherwise, everything is just a guess.

Last edited by Mud; 02-25-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:26 PM

E350 2011 Bluetec
Thank you guys a lot so so far I just bought the car from a dealership and it had 85k, it was one owner private vehicle.on it the Carfax shows the car got serviced regularly at least... the engine got serviced once or that’s what it says on the Carfax.. other the Carfax I don’t have that much. the rough down shifting and up shifting in lower mph worries me the most.. the smoke stopped but as you said there was an interval between burns it worries me a lot! i don’t much about how well it was maintained other than what the Carfax... I would like to start fresh what do I do and also where do I find a diy for how to keep my car in good running condition again thank you guys a lot for all the info I will run the cleaner once I run out of gas

Last edited by W212noob; 02-25-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:34 PM

E350 2011 Bluetec
Originally Posted by couldnthinkaone
Sweet smell could be coolant/HG leak. Is your coolant level low?
Originally Posted by kbob999
These issues may be unrelated, so I'll offer some help.

Video looks like a fluid dripping onto the exhaust. Find where it is coming from and look into it. Could be the Urea injection for the exhaust has a puncture in the line. That would address the smell.

Hard Shifting issues are common for the early 7 speed trans. You need to have the fluid level checked, and serviced every 39K miles, and this trans does not have a dip stick. Search for info on how to check. If no service record, it needs to be done NOW.

Rough idle at start can be dirty injectors, or bad glow plugs. Run a diesel injector cleaner through the next tank of fuel to see if that helps. If not, a glow plug service may be in order.

How many miles on this car?

Thank you guys a lot so so far I just bought the car from a dealership and it had 85k, it was one owner private vehicle.on it the Carfax shows the car got serviced regularly at least... the engine got serviced once or that’s what it says on the Carfax.. other the Carfax I don’t have that much. the rough down shifting and up shifting in lower mph worries me the most.. the smoke stopped but as you said there was an interval between burns it worries me a lot! i don’t much about how well it was maintained other than what the Carfax... I would like to start fresh what do I do and also where do I find a diy for how to keep my car in good running condition again thank you guys a lot for all the info I will run the cleaner once I run out of diesel
Old 02-25-2019, 08:04 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 342 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
How much experience do you have working on cars? That's not saying you can't learn, but it also takes some tools/equipment, depending on what you need to work on.
Personally, I don't think the cleaner will do much, but it won't hurt anything either.

There's not a single diy for all the things on your car, I suggest spending some time looking at post pertaining to 2011 Bluetec cars in particular to get a sense of what the car is about and what people typically address.
Generally there's a couple of groups - maintenance and repairs.

Maintenance is stuff like oil changes, air filters, belts, brakes, coolant, etc. - things that wear and are regarded as consumables. Your car has a recommended maintenance interval (called A, B, etc. service) that identifies things that need attention at certain mileage intervals.

Repairs (to me) is things that happen in between maintenance. Right now it seems that repair is needed before you can get to the maintenance items. You need to identify what's going on, why the smoke, and is it related to the rough running or is it a separate issue. That's why I said you need to get under the car and visually inspect components (for the smoke) and plug a scantool in (to see run data for the rough running). Meaning to take a methodical approach.

If you don't know anything yet about cars, I suggest finding a good local shop that can at least take a look at it and give you an idea of what's happening. The cost of a diagnosis may be worth it, especially if there is something pending that may soon be a high dollar expense.
The following users liked this post:
TeeEl (02-26-2019)