E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Retrofitting the instrumental cluster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212 E220
Retrofitting the instrumental cluster

I want to retrofit the elgance model instrument cluster to the advantgarde one, exactly as shown in the video

I want to do exactly this:

If it can be done, what does it require? Is it just plug n play taking aside the saving data part, or it requires new wiring connections etc?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MarioSula; 03-08-2019 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Wasnt done yet
Old 03-08-2019, 12:02 PM

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
It's quite an involved job. At the minimum you need a SDConnect (MB diagnostic tool). Then you need Vediamo and the knowledge to use it. There's two ways of doing this with Vediamo: caveman way (opening the instrument cluster and reading the EEPROM inside to erase parts of it so it can be initialised with the car) or the modern man way (manual UDS commands in Vediamo with seedkey unlocking of the eeprom for reading/writing).
You can still do this by just having the diagnostic tool and paying someone on the forum to do it if you don't want to deal with the coding part.
There's no need for replacing any wiring, the plugs are the same. The only thing you'll need to look out for is the IC frame, if you're installing a 3 pod IC instead of the regular 5 pod (like shown in the video) then you'll need a new frame to house it as well.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212 E220
Originally Posted by Oda112
It's quite an involved job. At the minimum you need a SDConnect (MB diagnostic tool). Then you need Vediamo and the knowledge to use it. There's two ways of doing this with Vediamo: caveman way (opening the instrument cluster and reading the EEPROM inside to erase parts of it so it can be initialised with the car) or the modern man way (manual UDS commands in Vediamo with seedkey unlocking of the eeprom for reading/writing).
You can still do this by just having the diagnostic tool and paying someone on the forum to do it if you don't want to deal with the coding part.
There's no need for replacing any wiring, the plugs are the same. The only thing you'll need to look out for is the IC frame, if you're installing a 3 pod IC instead of the regular 5 pod (like shown in the video) then you'll need a new frame to house it as well.
very detailed answer, thank you.

so the plugging is the same, all i will have to deal with is the coding part, which ill undoubtedly get someone skilled to do it
Old 03-08-2019, 02:03 PM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
2000 E430 Sport
Been trying to do this myself. I have the SDConnect and Vediamo but have no knowledge of coding. Is there anyone on the forum with a step by step DIY? Cluster has been "viginized" back to new with zero miles.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:09 PM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by retna7
Been trying to do this myself. I have the SDConnect and Vediamo but have no knowledge of coding. Is there anyone on the forum with a step by step DIY? Cluster has been "viginized" back to new with zero miles.
No step by step yet. People are making money from this (anywhere from 100 to 150$) so they're not willing to share info. I'm in the process of doing this as well, I got the new IC, SDS and now I'm waiting on the e2p tool to clear the new IC data. What did you use to virginize the IC?
Old 03-08-2019, 05:39 PM

2000 E430 Sport
I ordered from here:

http://www.ckmcardes********/e-class...petrol-mph-usa

Chris had the cluster "viginized" for a fee.

Its an option when ordering.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:54 PM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
I was about to bite the bullet and order from him as well. But then found a color IC for 85$ shipped on ebay (didn't have the twist knob, but I bought a new one for 4$ from MB). If I remember correctly Cris charges 100$ for erasing the EEPROM. If you pay a good coder around 150$, they'll do that via TeamViewer + marry the new IC to your car. Didn't he include the full coding in the price?
Old 03-11-2019, 01:35 AM

2000 E430 Sport
No coding with the sale but he did put me in contact with someone who could. Only problem is the contact is overseas. Can't find anyone locally. Have access to SD Connect and Vedaimo but no account or knowledge to use it.