E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

How Often Should I recondition Main Battery?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,336 Likes on 2,220 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
different technologies

Yes I believe it is always helpful to avoid confusion, else its non-sense chaos

This thread is related to Lead/Acid Battery reconditioning plus related factors applicable to W212 with main piston engine, not Hybrids traction management.

1- Smart charging is a cheap opportunistic charge mode used by a classic belt alternator to charge battery that START a piston engine. These classic alternators can still function normally to provide active charging during accelerations if needed after a long ECO stop... What makes this possible is the enhancement of the Bosch alternator control bus.

2- Regenerative BRAKING is done by 3-phase traction motors to recycle large amount of kinetic energy into massive HYBRIDS batteries that feed back to the electric traction.

It's hard to really confuse both, right?
Truth being told car alternators are based on 3-phase windings just like the hybrid motors but similarities end here - Hope this helps 🙂

Originally Posted by kajtek1
I would consider that another one of those things where technology passed the linguistics.
IMHO they are both the same thing and do the same on different scale.
Is the scale a reason to call them differently?

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 04-24-2019 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Alternators are 3 phase ACtoDC
Old 04-24-2019, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I see it that you confuse the way how the results is achieved from the result period.
Result in both is converting kinetic energy into battery charge. End of the story.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (04-24-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,565 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Getting used to ECO stops is another story. My home route is coming from freeway and 5 miles street driving with long time at red lights.
Very often ECO stop will not work coming straight from freeway, what I think is due too hot exhaust, but I learned that waiting 15 seconds and moving only 2" will kick the ECO stop.
Then when in rolling traffic, you don't want the ECO to stopping every few seconds, so I practice brake pedal modulation, when barely visible movement will prevent ECO stops.
Each feature takes different technique. When I had SBC brakes, I did practice that coming down curved freeway ramp I avoided 5 brake pumps and just hold modulated pressure on the pedal, so it was counted as single brake activation.
I have very very short experience with ECO start stop. It only took me 1 hour drive to decide to NEVER use it. Its too crude a system, not seamless as in NOT zero lag and DO have vibration from engine starting.

Assume all other parameters are fulfilled for ECO and brake HOLD :
I think ECO start-stop is also linked to brake HOLD and hence also linked to KID "Standstill Decoupling" of the transmission.

During my test with ECO start/stop, the brake pedal modulation is also what I did to not make ECO happen. If I remember correctly it takes 250Nm of brake force to activate HOLD feature.
I like the brake HOLD feature at traffic light because it will do the KID Standstill Decoupling at the same time, but I hate the ECO start-stop mode.

There are times I hate the KID Standstill Decoupling. It is when I pay for toll ticket and accidentally over pressed the brake ( so 250Nm achieved ) and got brake HOLD to work,
but my intention is to throttle fast to red line in 1st and 2nd gear after toll ticket payment. The gearbox will delay 0.2 second the engagement due to KID and a loud gear change
sound will occur because in E transmission mode, my car is defaulted to 2nd gear rolling start. This 0.2 second delay due to KID + sudden gear drop to 1st gear = Crappy experience.

https://f01.justanswer.com/73bbchevy...and_tricks.pdf
Page 21 would apply to your diesel car
Standstill decoupling is deactivated when DPF regeneration is taking place (recognizable from the significantly increased idle speed), the KID functionality is then prevented.

This suggest that since ECO mode is linked to KID-Standstill decoupling also, your waiting for extra 15 seconds may have completed the DPF regeneration and hence you can do the ECO start/stop.
BTW, I have zero experience with DPF.

However, I think the following bottom NOTE on page 21 is wrong, a typo . It is meant to be ACTIVATED and not DE-ACTIVATED. I hope someone with MB workshop experience can chime in.
Note On vehicles with ECO start/stop function, KID is deactivated as soon as ECO mode is activated. KID remains active until all of the conditions for ECO start/ stop are fulfilled

My apology to OP, I do not mean to swing away from the original thread question, but I think all these MB fuel savings feature has a direct relation to its starting battery life or state of charge.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
W212 do have lot of changing technology in them, so hard to compare different years, different engine options.
To my surprise on my car DPF regeneration did not stop ECO stops and now when I see regeneration pending, that is only time I switch ECO off.
Than HOLD works for me all the time. I am strong man, so if it takes hard push, I don't notice it. What I do is give it 3/4" additional tap and HOLD is holding.
Obviously when you are distracted, better switch the car to P.
Had a situation at security gate, when engine stop with ECO and guard ask me for ID. I unbuckled to reach to my pocket and engine started.
It was just association guard, but I guess border or military guard might have strong reaction.
Things we have to learn to enjoy the life...

Last edited by kajtek1; 04-25-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,565 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
W212 do have lot of changing technology in them, so hard to compare different years, different engine options.
To my surprise on my car DPF regeneration did not stop ECO stops and now when I see regeneration pending, that is only time I switch ECO off.
Than HOLD works for me all the time. I am strong man, so if it takes hard push, I don't notice it. What I do is give it 3/4" additional tap and HOLD is holding.
Obviously when you are distracted, better switch the car to P.
Had a situation at security gate, when engine stop with ECO and guard ask me for ID. I unbuckled to reach to my pocket and engine started.
It was just association guard, but I guess board guard might have strong reaction.
Things we have to learn to enjoy the life...
Agree 100%. Even an updated firmware alone can make a lot of differences, let alone different models/years/country specific.
Thru firmware MB can decide to set parameters or action/re-action different.
This is why forum like this is good for us to learn more