E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Headlamp program please help. Mercede rip me off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 10:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ml55 amg
Headlamp program please help. Mercede rip me off

I bought the new driver side headlamp due to moisture headlight and was getting code so I bought the hella headlamp + control module from the eBay which cost $110 + $725 headlamp. But light is working. Can someone tell me what’s the reason of programming the headlight. What’s the benefit?

I did take it to mercede dealership and they charged me $140 to look in to it but then they told me my headlight is not communicating with they scan tool. Was told I need to buy mercede control module. If that was the case then won’t I get the error on my dash?

My issue is when light come on then self test is different time for driver and passenger side. I mean active curve light are sequences different like 1 second different.

Control module: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F352035667948

headlamp:
https://m.buyautoparts.com/buynow/20...ly/16-01737_HH
Old 04-24-2019, 10:30 AM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2012 E350, P2
You replaced the headlight due to moisture? Was the moisture headlight related or the control module? Post your error code here. If it was headlight related, then just use the old control module (ballast) with your new headlight. It is already programmed and should be functional (if no moisture?)

A new control module would need programming (scn coding). And if you don't have Mercedes SD-connect diagnostic scanner + online account to perform scn coding, then a Mercedes dealer or any other Euro auto repair shop can do that for you for a fee.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 11:22 AM

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...densation.html

If you take the time and learn how to use the search function you might avoid unnecessary spending next time.
Headlights need coding because they work in conjunction with a lot of other control units&sensors in the car. No coding in your case means you lost some of the functions these headlights perform (cornering, height adjustment for xenons, IHC if fitted).
Old 04-24-2019, 01:52 PM

ml55 amg
Originally Posted by zeemob
You replaced the headlight due to moisture? Was the moisture headlight related or the control module? Post your error code here. If it was headlight related, then just use the old control module (ballast) with your new headlight. It is already programmed and should be functional (if no moisture?)

A new control module would need programming (scn coding). And if you don't have Mercedes SD-connect diagnostic scanner + online account to perform scn coding, then a Mercedes dealer or any other Euro auto repair shop can do that for you for a fee.
Mercede dealership told me that headlight was not able to communicate with they scanned. I don’t know why not. So they blaming on aftermarket parts and suggested that I need to replace it with mercede brand name. So this is why I’m going to independent shop tomorrow and see if is communicating or not. Otherwise I might have to buy Hella control module.

the old headlight had water inside the housing and from there my control module was damage caused the code. I don’t have the code. After this I went ahead bought the headlight and controls module got it installed. Headlight do come on but they don’t do the self test at the same time as my passenger side.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:34 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2012 E350, P2
Originally Posted by rohanpatel14
Mercede dealership told me that headlight was not able to communicate with they scanned. I don’t know why not. So they blaming on aftermarket parts and suggested that I need to replace it with mercede brand name. So this is why I’m going to independent shop tomorrow and see if is communicating or not. Otherwise I might have to buy Hella control module.

the old headlight had water inside the housing and from there my control module was damage caused the code. I don’t have the code. After this I went ahead bought the headlight and controls module got it installed. Headlight do come on but they don’t do the self test at the same time as my passenger side.
You have a brand new headlight control module which needs programming (scn coding) for it to activate the adaptive features such as automatic high beam switch, self-leveling, active cornering etc.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
it also has to do with software versions of ballasts you have...in order to behave the same without programming , otherwise it has to be updated via star
rohanpatel14 (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 07:21 PM

ml55 amg
I took it independent shop and he hook up the computer to my port. Then he show me that driver side headlight is not communicating. Only showing passenger side on his computer. Any advice? maybe I need to buy hella control module? Who make mercede control module? I found hella module for $180 and mercede control module is $600 re-manufactures online from mbdirect.com.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:42 PM

ml55 amg
Anyone?
driver side control module is not communicating with scanner? It only read right side.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:00 PM

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Take it to someone who has a dedicated diagnostic system. Maybe they'll be able to do an initialization on it and flash it with the proper software and then code it to your car. The MB diag system is known as STAR or SDS. Since your headlight control unit is not OEM, SDS might not want to program it at all, but it's worth trying before you go and buy another.
Ask the seller for a refund if coding is not possible.
Ask the SDS technician which control unit you should buy if the one you have now can not be coded.
OE manufacturer for control unit (ballast as some incorrectly call it) is Hella.
Good luck and report back when you have it fixed.

Last edited by Oda112; 04-26-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e360
I have the same problems too, could it be related to the replacement of the car headlights? Do you think I should contact the service with this problem? Or try to change headlights again?

Last edited by John Gaarg; 04-29-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:07 PM

ml55 amg
eBay seller sending out other module for me but I’m also going to buy hella control module Incase if eBay control module still doesn’t communicate with the scanner.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:40 PM

ml55 amg
Originally Posted by John Gaarg
I have the same problems too, could it be related to the replacement of the headlight?
do you have hella?