E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

NOISE/FIRE SUPPRESION BLANKET

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 01:28 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
2011 E350
NOISE/FIRE SUPPRESION BLANKET

I have had a scuffing sound lately but didn't think much about it at first. Initially I figured drivers Front Strut bottoming out. Again that is a planned R/R item soon with the 100K phased overhaul. When I was getting underneath to place the Axle jack/SafeJack for the recent brake replacement I discovered that there is a blanket that appears to be tearing itself apart. As I was driving I was trying to tune my ear and eventually traced the sound to the blanket catching and now it is tearing itself backward. I cut a piece of it off at least the part that was the folding back part hoping to get a part number label but no luck. I am scheduling a engine/Transmission mount R/R soon and if the blanket doesn't totally tear itself away by then I will ask those mechanics to remove the blanket if nothing else to either find part number or bring into dealer for parts catalog illustration.

Blanket is between the fenders on each side running along bottom outside of frame and one on each side. I say fire blanket but my guess is more of a noise suppression and does appear to be covering the brake and fuel lines running along the lower outside of the chassis. It does appear to have some fire suppression if needed but I hope not to find out. I checked several sources but can't seem to find the specific nomenclature to find price and availability.

Any ideas? The front of the blanket appears to tuck under and inside just behind the front fender. Appears to be the same material and design as the fire blanket on the hood.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:49 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Just noise suppression...

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...placement.html
Old 05-04-2019, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Yes, Mud has you covered here. Those are very fragile and will tear easily. Not sure what MB was thinking with these under body panels. My 2010 were both destroyed