E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E550 New Starter fixed long crank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550
E550 New Starter fixed long crank

2010 E550 RWD, car has 88K miles, it has been taking 2-3 seconds to start. It SOUNDED like it was spinning over fast but yet it wouldn't start. That led me to believe it was anything but the starter. As soon as the new starter was installed the cranking speed was drastically quicker and the car now fires off in about 1/2 second, exactly like new. I actually replaced the Crank Position Sensor in an attempt to fix this, that did exactly nothing. I had the guys at Tifosi Performance do the starter (they are in Keller/Fort Worth). It was a quick job. Mercedes wanted $1000. Tifosi Peformance installed a Bosch reman for $360. You can see the OEM is Bosch. This is actually my second W212 E550 and the previous car needed the same service so I used them twice. This time I took a couple of photos to hopefully help out the next person. There are only two real tips/tricks to this install and I'll point them out below.

Open the trunk and disconnect the positive lead on the battery!!
Car up on lift (or jack stands).
Remove the front belly pan (8mm screws)
Remove the next belly pan after the front most pan, again more 8mm screws.

NOTE: If you search YouTube you will find videos of a W212 4matic and the person there removed the passenger side catalytic downpipe and a small crossmember/tie bar. None of that was required on this RWD car. You will also find a video of a guy working on a W211, he seperates the exhaust as well, again, that was not required on a RWD W212.

The starter is held in with 2 E14 bolts. The bolts go through the bellhousing and into the starter. Tip #1: Don't bother trying to get a ratchet up there by the bellhousing: instead use about 24" of 3/8" extension and a swivel joint so that you can comfortably operate the ratchet from beneath the chassis, not up by the catalytic converter.

Tip #2: There are two cables on the starter. The way they wrap around the posts, it is easier to detach them while the starter is in position because once you drop it, the length of the cable limits your travel and wraps them tighter around the posts. They are held on by a 13mm and a 10mm nut.

That's it. Remove the two bellhousing bolts that bolt through the frontside of the starter (see pic), and remove the 13mm and 10mm nuts while it is up in place. Drop it and swap it. I hope this helps the next person in need of this.

Last edited by JerryTX; 05-20-2019 at 03:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ferris_E550 (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 02:46 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
2011 e550
Thanks for the info. My 2011 is doing the same thing. Did you buy the remanufactured unit yourself and take it to the shop? If so, do you have a link to which one you bought? Thanks
Old 05-20-2019, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by RDE38
Thanks for the info. My 2011 is doing the same thing. Did you buy the remanufactured unit yourself and take it to the shop? If so, do you have a link to which one you bought? Thanks
JerryTX gives good explanation as it is just as he says. I did this job myself just a few weeks ago and it really helps starting. It is amazing how the engine can crank just fine but has problems starting and I think the problem is the starter robs so much battery power rest of car is starving.

I posted about this in another thread. I did remove the cross support between the exhaust pipes though that JerryTX says did not need to be done. It comes off with taking just two bolts off so not a big deal. Gives more room to get the starter out and in.

I bought new starter from AutoZone for about $300. Came with life time warranty.

Youtube videos show people working on left side of the car but definitely my starter is on right like it is for JerryTX. I think the videos are from Europe and their engine is not 5.5 liter one. It is 5.0 liter like it is called E500, not E550 like in U.S.

Last edited by Arrie; 05-20-2019 at 03:18 PM.
cocobeex (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 03:50 PM

2010 E550
Good feedback Arrie Thanks.

@ RDE38: I did another check on my invoice and the total was closer to $360 (had oil change and tires done too). Tifosi Performance sourced the reman'd Bosch for me and part number on the invoice is F5000-425425. They dealt with the core charge that way too. Hope that helps.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:59 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by Arrie
JerryTX gives good explanation as it is just as he says. I did this job myself just a few weeks ago and it really helps starting. It is amazing how the engine can crank just fine but has problems starting and I think the problem is the starter robs so much battery power rest of car is starving.

I posted about this in another thread. I did remove the cross support between the exhaust pipes though that JerryTX says did not need to be done. It comes off with taking just two bolts off so not a big deal. Gives more room to get the starter out and in.

I bought new starter from AutoZone for about $300. Came with life time warranty.

Youtube videos show people working on left side of the car but definitely my starter is on right like it is for JerryTX. I think the videos are from Europe and their engine is not 5.5 liter one. It is 5.0 liter like it is called E500, not E550 like in U.S.
The issue is that the brushes in the starter are worn out.

Also, on my car (2010 E550 4MATIC), the starter is on the left (driver's side) of the car.
JerryTX (05-23-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 08:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2009 Subaru WRX, 2011 E550
I am just shy of the 140,000 mile mark and swapped out my starter yesterday. The pictures and procedure above were very helpful. (thanks!) Very straight forward job. Had a replacement exhaust clamp ready to replace the one that usually breaks. I ordered the starter from a very reputable online source with a lifetime guarantee but, was not the correct part. Looked very similar, in fact so close I kept trying to make it work. Ended up calling the dealer and buying the starter for almost triple the cost (crap!) because the car was all taken apart and on a buddies lift. The new (rebuilt) one bolted right up just like it should. The 3 hour round trip to the dealer did make for a long day though.

I'll return the starter that did not fit of course. Also, I did the job with the help of a lift, really couldn't imagine doing it without one. I can't believe how quickly it fires up now!! I was experiencing long cranks and slow cranks. Kept an eye on my battery and even changed the voltage regulator on the back of the alternator recently. I was also experiencing very tough starts on a few trips this summer. I would stop for gas and it would really struggle to restart. The starter has been an issue for quite some time I have driven over 100 of the 140 thousand miles and it has never started so easy.

20/20 hindsight..... I should have done this a while ago it may have extended the life of the battery. I love this car!!! So many smiles per gallon!!
Old 08-25-2019, 09:58 PM

2010 E550
[QUOTE=75gasgas;7837852
20/20 hindsight..... I should have done this a while ago it may have extended the life of the battery. I love this car!!! So many smiles per gallon!![/QUOTE]

Lol I remember thinking the same thing!! Great job knocking it out yourself, congrats!
Old 08-26-2019, 07:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2009 Subaru WRX, 2011 E550
Thank you!!