E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

apple carplay install on 2014 E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
apple carplay install on 2014 E350

Has anyone been successful in installing apple carplay on a 2014 E350. Or is it impossible to do? Appreciate any help. Thanks

Last edited by dbldpr; 05-20-2019 at 05:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-21-2019, 07:18 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
2015 E400
Originally Posted by dbldpr
Has anyone been successful in installing apple carplay on a 2014 E350. Or is it impossible to do? Appreciate any help. Thanks
Yes, plenty of threads on this and plenty of options, even wireless CarPlay...
Old 05-21-2019, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Thanks will try and find the threads
Old 05-21-2019, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Originally Posted by pl626
Yes, plenty of threads on this and plenty of options, even wireless CarPlay...
That's odd, I haven't found any concise method or place to order a known quantity. Unless of course you mean that tablet thing the swede is selling, but that's way too much effort and I don't want to screw with the cheap tablet look.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:14 AM

2015 E400
You can find vendors on fleabay, amazon, alibaba, aliexpress, etc.

2015 E400 COMAND 4.7 with wireless CarPlay using Joyeauto smartphone module. The wifi is fast and stable, all OEM functions retained, though I now use CarPlay apps for music & news. Since I'm using the stock monitor, I have to use the scroll wheel to navigate, but that's not a big deal for me...

Last edited by pl626; 05-22-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:31 AM

2015 E400
Originally Posted by DubVBenz
That's odd, I haven't found any concise method or place to order a known quantity. Unless of course you mean that tablet thing the swede is selling, but that's way too much effort and I don't want to screw with the cheap tablet look.
I think this guy's a forum member, he did a video of his install on his wife's GL450.
I've actually had a really good experience with aliexpress. My Joyeauto unit was shipped and arrived early via DHL Express. I did have a challenge sourcing from Unichip, and my installer had initially tried a wired unit from iCartisan that had MirrorLink in addition to CarPlay/Android Auto, but we could never resolve some issues with OEM functionalities like the reverse cam and turn signal functions.

One caveat I would put out there is ***tool. He has a spotty track record, but my installer says he's had success with ***tool products recently. However, based on the ***tool past performance and the fact that I was able to get wireless CarPlay for less than the wired ***tool, it was a no-brainer for me. My installer was so impressed, he's now in the Joyeauto supply chain.

Last edited by pl626; 05-22-2019 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Originally Posted by pl626
I think this guy's a forum member, he did a video of his install on his wife's GL450. www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmldVyeoz08 I've actually had a really good experience with aliexpress. My Joyeauto unit was shipped and arrived early via DHL Express. I did have a challenge sourcing from Unichip, and my installer had initially tried a wired unit from iCartisan that had MirrorLink in addition to CarPlay/Android Auto, but we could never resolve some issues with OEM functionalities like the reverse cam and turn signal functions.

One caveat I would put out there is ***tool. He has a spotty track record, but my installer says he's had success with ***tool products recently. However, based on the ***tool past performance and the fact that I was able to get wireless CarPlay for less than the wired ***tool, it was a no-brainer for me. My installer was so impressed, he's now in the Joyeauto supply chain.
Thank you, yes the Unichip and icartisan seem like the main options but are hard to purchase. I'll look up the joyeauto solution, hadn't heard of that before. Can you attempt to respell the ****tool info? The forum thinks its a forbidden word and is censoring it for some reason.

Edit, looks like joyeauto is only for Apple CarPlay?
Old 05-22-2019, 12:47 PM

2015 E400
Originally Posted by DubVBenz
...Can you attempt to respell the ****tool info? The forum thinks its a forbidden word and is censoring it for some reason.

Edit, looks like joyeauto is only for Apple CarPlay?
There's a reason for that...horror stories about them on this board as well as other boards. joyeauto works with Android Auto as well. Check aliexpress.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:14 PM

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts
2013 E550
How about Android Auto for a 2013?
Old 05-22-2019, 03:17 PM

2015 E400
Originally Posted by Siegmann
How about Android Auto for a 2013?
If you've got COMAND 4.x, it should work for Android.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:39 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Just to update this thread, I've installed in the Joyeauto wireless unit in my E350 for use with CarPlay. It works amazingly well, and I've been using with iOS 13 Beta. (The photo is right after I put the car back together and the phone was updated to iOS 13 afterward.)

https://www.joyeauto.com/mercedes-be...play-solution/

My only real complaint is the LCD screen does not automatically dim at night. One can easily do this in the settings of Joyeauto's CarPlay app (labeled "Mercedes" on the screen) which really just brings up the underlying Android GUI, but it's a nuisance, IMHO.

I'll write up a more detailed DIY when I have the chance.

JoyAuto Wireless CarPlay - 2014 W212 E350

FWIW, I purchased the unit directly from Joyeauto and it arrived in about a week via DHL.
The following 2 users liked this post by cadetdrivr:
Jettagt8v80 (07-04-2019), Johnny Rad (07-05-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 05:04 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2012 E550 Cabriolet 2011 VW Eos 1985 Pininfarina Spider
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
Just to update this thread, I've installed in the Joyeauto wireless unit in my E350 for use with CarPlay. It works amazingly well, and I've been using with iOS 13 Beta. (The photo is right after I put the car back together and the phone was updated to iOS 13 afterward.)

My only real complaint is the LCD screen does not automatically dim at night. One can easily do this in the settings of Joyeauto's CarPlay app (labeled "Mercedes" on the screen) which really just brings up the underlying Android GUI, but it's a nuisance, IMHO.

FWIW, I purchased the unit directly from Joyeauto and it arrived in about a week via DHL.
I'm about to pull the trigger on this and have a few questions.

Can this be used wired or wireless?

If the wireless connection is used, does the iphone connect automatically if the iphone is in wifi range?

Where did you mount the Joyeauto mic? How is the quality of the mic?

How are the installation instructions?

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2019, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Davery
Can this be used wired or wireless?
Either, at least for CarPlay.

It looks like it also supports Android Auto via wired, but I don't have an Android phone so have not tested it.

FWIW, wireless works so well I didn't even install the included USB extension cable and use it wireless 100%. I do, however, plug the iPhone into the center console USB port for power on longer trips. Of course, I also installed the main Joyeauto unit in the glove box so I have easy access to it. If I was mounting it in a less accessible location I'd want the USB cable installed for potential future software updates.

If the wireless connection is used, does the iphone connect automatically if the iphone is in wifi range?
All automatic.

On the first bluetooth pairing it will ask if you want to use it for CarPlay and it sends all the wifi connection info automatically to the iPhone. After that, it's all transparent and automatic.

Where did you mount the Joyeauto mic? How is the quality of the mic?
Mounted the mic up by the rear view mirror. Amazingly, mounting the mic was perhaps the easiest part. Partly pull off the door seal from the lower dash up to the top of the A-pillar, poke the wire in to the cavity and along the headliner and then press the door seal back in.

I'd call the mic quality adequate. There's more background noise than via bluetooth with the MB system. It's obvious you are in a car, but it's still very usable.

How are the installation instructions?
Basically nonexistent, other than a schematic for wiring. (see attached)

I'll be posting a DIY when I get a chance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Joyeauto NTG 4.5 Diagram.pdf (1.47 MB, 560 views)

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 07-16-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:20 PM

Either, at least for CarPlay.

It looks like it also supports Android Auto via wired, but I don't have an Android phone so have not tested it.

FWIW, wireless works so well I didn't even install the included USB extension cable and use it wireless 100%. I do, however, plug the iPhone into the center console USB port for power on longer trips. Of course, I also installed the main Joyeauto unit in the glove box so I have easy access to it. If I was mounting it in a less accessible location I'd want the USB cable installed for potential future software updates.

All automatic.

On the first bluetooth pairing it will ask if you want to use it for CarPlay and it sends all the wifi connection info automatically to the iPhone. After that, it's all transparent and automatic.

Mounted the mic up by the rear view mirror. Amazingly, mounting the mic was perhaps the easiest part. Partly pull off the door seal from the lower dash up to the top of the A-pillar, poke the wire in to the cavity and along the headliner and then press the door seal back in.

I'd call the mic quality adequate. There's more background noise than via bluetooth with the MB system. It's obvious you are in a car, but it's still very usable.

Basically nonexistent, other than a schematic for wiring. (see attached)

I'll be posting a DIY when I get a chance.
I look forward to your write up. I would like to add a front camera, if possible. I need to figure our if I can do that.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:29 PM

I look forward to your write up. I would like to add a front camera, if possible. I need to figure our if I can do that.
There is a composite video input for one, but it’s not something that would work with Carplay, nor are there any instructions for use.

Presumably one could use it with the base OS of the Joyeauto hardware and manually select it when desired, but that’s speculation on my part.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:12 PM

There is a composite video input for one, but it’s not something that would work with Carplay, nor are there any instructions for use.

Presumably one could use it with the base OS of the Joyeauto hardware and manually select it when desired, but that’s speculation on my part.
I received a reponse from Joyeauto. A front camera can be installed and it stays on for 10 seconds when put into drive. They didn't explain the installtion and I'm not sure how the camera would detect when drive is selected. Do you have an OEM rear camera? If so, does it connect into the RCA plugs on the diagram? I'm just wanting a front camera that i can manually turn on when parking, even if i have to install a hidden switch.

I also asked for the installation instructions and was told those were not available yet. So it appears these units are currently bring sold with no instructions. I so want to like this unit, but they are making it hard.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:54 PM

I received a reponse from Joyeauto. A front camera can be installed and it stays on for 10 seconds when put into drive. They didn't explain the installtion and I'm not sure how the camera would detect when drive is selected. Do you have an OEM rear camera? If so, does it connect into the RCA plugs on the diagram? I'm just wanting a front camera that i can manually turn on when parking, even if i have to install a hidden switch.

I also asked for the installation instructions and was told those were not available yet. So it appears these units are currently bring sold with no instructions. I so want to like this unit, but they are making it hard.
FWIW, I have the factory rear camera and it works 100% normally when reverse is selected. Nothing is connected to the composite video (RCA style) camera inputs on the Joyeauto wire harness.

I’m gonna assume (dangerous, I know) that since the unit is connected to the main data bus of the car that it can detect Drive just as easily as it can Reverse.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:21 PM

FWIW, I have the factory rear camera and it works 100% normally when reverse is selected. Nothing is connected to the composite video (RCA style) camera inputs on the Joyeauto wire harness.

I’m gonna assume (dangerous, I know) that since the unit is connected to the main data bus of the car that it can detect Drive just as easily as it can Reverse.
I'm wondering if I connected a camera to the RCA connection, if it would show up when powered? If so, then I could put a hidden switch on the power cable for the front camera and turn on as needed. Probably will not know until I get the unit and play with it.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
Questions I have:
* any one know what installers might be available for those of us not wanting to personally install?
If not available, then what questions I might want to ask a local installer before letting them touch my MB
* I have 360 degree factory cameras, what will I lose?
* what else should I be asking?
Old 07-20-2019, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by samkimg
Questions I have:
* any one know what installers might be available for those of us not wanting to personally install?
If not available, then what questions I might want to ask a local installer before letting them touch my MB
* I have 360 degree factory cameras, what will I lose?
* what else should I be asking?
This device would be a trivial install for any reputable installer. The real issue is their familiarly with MB, IMHO, and properly opening up the dash. When researching the possibility of installing it myself, I came across a couple W212 “how to” videos on youtube from “installers” that used brute force rather than proper technique.

There’s nothing complicated about it, but there are some trim clips that are either tricky or deceptively simple depending if you have read the MB instructions. You don’t need a clown cracking your wood trim.

I’d ask Joyeauto the 360 question. They were reasonably responsive to my questions considering the time zone difference. The 360 cam will work as usual when using Comand, which is easily selected, it’s just an issue if it will automatically switch when using Carplay. FWIW, the factory rear view cam automatically switches when Carplay is in use.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 07-20-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 Cabriolet

2014 E350 Cabriolet. This is what my mechanic gets after installing apple CarPlay from Joyeauto. I can’t find any installation videos for my car
Old 10-21-2019, 03:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking to buy
Looking at getting this for our new to us 2013 E350 love carplay in newer rental cars we have had it really makes life easier! We have an issue with the radio not playing sound all the time need to fix that then i can jump to some upgrades!
Old 10-21-2019, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by nicoleashley69

2014 E350 Cabriolet. This is what my mechanic gets after installing apple CarPlay from Joyeauto. I can’t find any installation videos for my car
I got the same thing during my install. It has to do with the dip switches. I contacted Joyeauto and they walked me through via WhatsApp.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Does anyone know if there is any carplay product for NTG 4?
Old 10-23-2019, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Pedram19518
Does anyone know if there is any carplay product for NTG 4?
Yup, I just noticed on the Joyeauto website that they now have a NTG 4 unit:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: apple carplay install on 2014 E350