E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Confused on a new purchase, help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 11:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013Eclass
Confused on a new purchase, help?

I’m looking at a 2012 E550 Convertable. I pulled a car fax. It doesn’t show any accidents or salvage or flooding however it shows 2 owners. Original 2012 owned for a year and 1 month. The first owner put 20,000 miles. Then it shows Sold. It went to an auction. I see maintenance logs and dealer information then another auction HOWEVER the next owner purchased in 2017 and owned it for two years. Only added little over 8,000 miles. Then it shows car sold. The car was in Florida. Currently in dealer inventory in Georgia with a total of 28,000 miles. My question is where or why did the car sit for several years? Odd to me... was it in a flood maybe or was it used as a dealer car? Concerned why it apparently sat for so long. Very strange to me however it’s a solid car. Beautiful runs right and right like a tank. Is there anyway of know more details on the history of this car??
Old 06-23-2019, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W212 forum...
Old 06-23-2019, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,163 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
You could also get an autocheck report. It sometimes reports info that carfax misses and if you go to an MB dealer, they may be able to give you the vehicle master inquiry, but usually you have to show up in person with the car, they usually don't give anything out over the phone. If it's an MB dealer selling, then simply ask for the VMI.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:22 AM

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
Originally Posted by CLemieux
I’m looking at a 2012 E550 Convertable. I pulled a car fax. It doesn’t show any accidents or salvage or flooding however it shows 2 owners. Original 2012 owned for a year and 1 month. The first owner put 20,000 miles. Then it shows Sold. It went to an auction. I see maintenance logs and dealer information then another auction HOWEVER the next owner purchased in 2017 and owned it for two years. Only added little over 8,000 miles. Then it shows car sold. The car was in Florida. Currently in dealer inventory in Georgia with a total of 28,000 miles. My question is where or why did the car sit for several years? Odd to me... was it in a flood maybe or was it used as a dealer car? Concerned why it apparently sat for so long. Very strange to me however it’s a solid car. Beautiful runs right and right like a tank. Is there anyway of know more details on the history of this car??
In reality, the history of the car is unimportant. This is especially true when dealing with Florida cars. The state has a transient part time population. I kept cars there that I never saw for a year at a time but they were parked inside and properly prepared. Many people do. You have the important history of no title blemishes.

Your best move is to take the car for a comprehensive inspection before purchase. Most dealers will offer that service at a reasonable fee and most legitimate sellers will help accommodate the process. Taking it to another dealer other than the selling one is perfectly normal for the inspection. Once you are given the satisfactory results, enjoy what has to be a wonderful car!