E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-23-2019, 04:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
none
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
That totally sucks and is, IMHO, unacceptable.

FWIW, I have not experienced that with two different NTG4.5/4.7 units installed in each of our MBs. (Knock on wood.)
It has only happened about 3 times since I got the unit back a few months ago.

The only consistent issue I’m having now is the the fact that I have to switch to back and forth between the HU command and Carplay to fix the control wheel button selection issue. I have to perform this action almost every time I get in my car.

Joyauto has told me that the problem exists because the HU boots up faster than the carplay unit, so there is nothing we can do except switch back and forth.

This extra step really annoys me. I just want to get in and go with out thinking about some ritual I have to perform. I have a W204 NTG 4.5 HU.
The following users liked this post:
Gasmiser2000 (11-11-2023)
Old 12-23-2019, 06:39 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2012 E550 Cabriolet 2011 VW Eos 1985 Pininfarina Spider
Originally Posted by inittab
It has only happened about 3 times since I got the unit back a few months ago.

The only consistent issue I’m having now is the the fact that I have to switch to back and forth between the HU command and Carplay to fix the control wheel button selection issue. I have to perform this action almost every time I get in my car.

Joyauto has told me that the problem exists because the HU boots up faster than the carplay unit, so there is nothing we can do except switch back and forth.

This extra step really annoys me. I just want to get in and go with out thinking about some ritual I have to perform. I have a W204 NTG 4.5 HU.
I'm not totally sure that is true. When I installed my unit in August everything worked as expected. I would turn the car on, the phone would link up and Waze and Spotify would start. After the Sept update this changed for me. Now I have to select Spotify to start, which is strange because before I installed the Joyeauto unit Spotify would start automatically. I really haven't seen a benefit to the past two updates and was thinking of re-installing the update prior to Sept.

Also, when I contacted Joyeauto about the locking up issue they want a video. How do you get a video of this locking up?
Old 12-23-2019, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E 550
Have a 2014 E550 and the Joyauto unit was my Christmas present this year. I installed it today, so yes I will just have an empty box under the tree on Christmas. But it's the thought that counts. So I thought about it, and decided today was when I had the time to install it.
Mega kudos to Cadetdrivr for his DIY and followup comments. I bought it and installed it based primarily on this thread and those instructions. Some comments on my experience:
  1. Instructions on this thread are great. Don't think this would be a very easy DIY based on what comes with the Joyeauto unit - but much of the work is specific to the car you're installing in, not the unit itself.
  2. Removing the trim was the same as shown in the DIY video provided. But removing the glove box was different. Had two visible screws on the inside top edge of the glove box, and one additional screw on the far right side (as you are facing the glove box) underneath a small removable access hole in the glove box lining. Two screws on the bottom, but to access them you have to drop the panel under the glove box by removing the three screws that hold it in.
  3. Put some rags over the wood trim below the HU and on the center console. The metal back and edges of the HU will scratch it, as I learned the hard way
  4. The two screws holding in the Head Unit aren't just screwed into the top of the HU. They actually connect to a sliding lock mechanism. So you actually don't want to remove them entirely and may have to continue to unscrew them even when they seem loose. Wiggling the HU, and/or pushing the screws down, will cause the slide locks to drop so you can remove the HU.
  5. Seems that wire colors from Joyauto are NOT a consistent guide for how to connect. My LVDS IN cable was pink, and the LDVS OUT cable was gray. On the HU, the IN cable was gray, and the cable next to it was pink. So I installed based on the pics in the DIY of the cable connection location on the back of the HU vs the cable color.
  6. I originally missed the specifics on moving the optical cables to the part of the connector that plugs into the back of the HU. I had left them attached to the original connector where it plugged into the other end of the Joyauto large 48 pin connector. As a result, when I hooked it up, everything "looked" ok, but I wasn't getting sound from either the Joyauto unit or the command unit. This was because the optical cables make the connection to the amp - and I had them in the wrong place. Moved them and everything was good.
  7. Getting the HU back in is indeed the challenging part. Need to take a good look at the cables coming off the back of the HU and figure out how to get them pushed back and down in the center so they're not bunched up behind the HU. There is a little space to push the cables back and down, but since they've sheathed into bundles, it takes some work to move them around. And I still had to push the unit in with some force
  8. Appears the Bluetooth connection had been renamed JOYEAUTO instead of IDCORE
  9. I installed the unit in the top shelf of the glovebox as Cadetdrivr did. But ended up having realatively little of the LVDS cable to work with, so it took some effort to get it connected to the back of the unit inside the glove box. The power cable and LVDS OUT cable had plenty of slack to work with. Suggest you try to make sure the LVDS IN cable is stretched out as far as possible to give you some slack to work with
All in, ended up being about 5-6 hours to install end to end. Haven't had time to play with all the features yet, but it connected and I could play music from the phone and access the Google Maps app on the phone. So hoping the rest will work as advertised.

One question I have at the moment - does Siri on the phone require / use the mic connected to the JoyeAuto unit, or does it still use the mic on the phone? I connected the mic, but left it sitting in the glove box as I was planning on using the original command unit phone features based on comments about sound quality, and I don't make that many calls from the car.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
none
Originally Posted by Davery
I'm not totally sure that is true. When I installed my unit in August everything worked as expected. I would turn the car on, the phone would link up and Waze and Spotify would start. After the Sept update this changed for me. Now I have to select Spotify to start, which is strange because before I installed the Joyeauto unit Spotify would start automatically. I really haven't seen a benefit to the past two updates and was thinking of re-installing the update prior to Sept.

Also, when I contacted Joyeauto about the locking up issue they want a video. How do you get a video of this locking up?
They asked me for video as well. I just used my phone to record a video of my app selection issue, and sent it to Kevin via WhatsApp messenger.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Wagon
This is a wealth of information. Thanks to all for helping to solve the lack of CarPlay problem in my wagon. I just had a couple of brief questions.

The phone audio was decribed as serviceable, but not ideal. I'm not a real fan of the factory phone connection already, I'm guessing this is a simple hardware solution? Has anyone used an alternate mic (higher quality) with this kit. BTW - is the mic connection 3.5 or 2.5mm?

I'm guessing the answer is no, but can you play the FM/AM radio while an app is displayed on screen, such as maps?

Has anyone ran their usb exentension to the factory location in the center council?
Old 12-30-2019, 11:50 AM

Received 320 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by Thomas240
I'm guessing the answer is no, but can you play the FM/AM radio while an app is displayed on screen, such as maps?
Yes, but....the ONLY audio you will receive is the AM/FM station unless you manually switch Comand back to AUX to receive audio from the Joyauto unit. Audio switching and video switching are separate things the way it's wired.

Fortunately, many AM/FM stations provide their audio streams to various phone apps negating the need to tune the radio, unless you are out of cell coverage.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:21 AM

C Class Coupè C205
Did you have noticed password change on Joyeauto web site?

Originally Posted by ScottWeir
Have a 2014 E550 and the Joyauto unit was my Christmas present this year. I installed it today, so yes I will just have an empty box under the tree on Christmas. But it's the thought that counts. So I thought about it, and decided today was when I had the time to install it.
Mega kudos to Cadetdrivr for his DIY and followup comments. I bought it and installed it based primarily on this thread and those instructions. Some comments on my experience:
  1. Instructions on this thread are great. Don't think this would be a very easy DIY based on what comes with the Joyeauto unit - but much of the work is specific to the car you're installing in, not the unit itself.
  2. Removing the trim was the same as shown in the DIY video provided. But removing the glove box was different. Had two visible screws on the inside top edge of the glove box, and one additional screw on the far right side (as you are facing the glove box) underneath a small removable access hole in the glove box lining. Two screws on the bottom, but to access them you have to drop the panel under the glove box by removing the three screws that hold it in.
  3. Put some rags over the wood trim below the HU and on the center console. The metal back and edges of the HU will scratch it, as I learned the hard way
  4. The two screws holding in the Head Unit aren't just screwed into the top of the HU. They actually connect to a sliding lock mechanism. So you actually don't want to remove them entirely and may have to continue to unscrew them even when they seem loose. Wiggling the HU, and/or pushing the screws down, will cause the slide locks to drop so you can remove the HU.
  5. Seems that wire colors from Joyauto are NOT a consistent guide for how to connect. My LVDS IN cable was pink, and the LDVS OUT cable was gray. On the HU, the IN cable was gray, and the cable next to it was pink. So I installed based on the pics in the DIY of the cable connection location on the back of the HU vs the cable color.
  6. I originally missed the specifics on moving the optical cables to the part of the connector that plugs into the back of the HU. I had left them attached to the original connector where it plugged into the other end of the Joyauto large 48 pin connector. As a result, when I hooked it up, everything "looked" ok, but I wasn't getting sound from either the Joyauto unit or the command unit. This was because the optical cables make the connection to the amp - and I had them in the wrong place. Moved them and everything was good.
  7. Getting the HU back in is indeed the challenging part. Need to take a good look at the cables coming off the back of the HU and figure out how to get them pushed back and down in the center so they're not bunched up behind the HU. There is a little space to push the cables back and down, but since they've sheathed into bundles, it takes some work to move them around. And I still had to push the unit in with some force
  8. Appears the Bluetooth connection had been renamed JOYEAUTO instead of IDCORE
  9. I installed the unit in the top shelf of the glovebox as Cadetdrivr did. But ended up having realatively little of the LVDS cable to work with, so it took some effort to get it connected to the back of the unit inside the glove box. The power cable and LVDS OUT cable had plenty of slack to work with. Suggest you try to make sure the LVDS IN cable is stretched out as far as possible to give you some slack to work with
All in, ended up being about 5-6 hours to install end to end. Haven't had time to play with all the features yet, but it connected and I could play music from the phone and access the Google Maps app on the phone. So hoping the rest will work as advertised.

One question I have at the moment - does Siri on the phone require / use the mic connected to the JoyeAuto unit, or does it still use the mic on the phone? I connected the mic, but left it sitting in the glove box as I was planning on using the original command unit phone features based on comments about sound quality, and I don't make that many calls from the car.
hi folks. Many compliments for this great forum. I have bought a joyeauto module in november for my mercedes ntg 5.2 c class coupè c205. If you want to have help or suggestions don’t mind to ask! I have noticed a thing...since a couple of days I can’t access to any section, password protected, of joyeauto web site. Do you know anything about? I would check for some firmware upgrade...have an happy new year!! Thanks in advance
Old 01-01-2020, 10:00 AM

2013 Mercedes C250
Hi all,I have a 2013 C250 with NTG 4.5 and recently had one of these units installed by a local garage, but we’re really struggling with getting the sound to work. It was installed as per the instructions, but we cannot get the AUX input on my car to produce sound.

AUX is selectable on the Command unit, but gives the message ‘media interface unavailable’. I’ve tried entering the engineering menus to enable the AUX input to see if that helps, but my menus are completely different to all the guides I’ve found about it. I’ve also tried an OBD AUX unlock tool, but that has made no difference either.

I currently have it working in a fashion by using Bluetooth to stream the audio, but this isn’t ideal. I’m at a loss as to what to try next and would appreciate any pointers or anything I could try.

Thanks, Chris
Old 01-01-2020, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by CModen84
Hi all,I have a 2013 C250 with NTG 4.5 and recently had one of these units installed by a local garage, but we’re really struggling with getting the sound to work. It was installed as per the instructions, but we cannot get the AUX input on my car to produce sound.

AUX is selectable on the Command unit, but gives the message ‘media interface unavailable’. I’ve tried entering the engineering menus to enable the AUX input to see if that helps, but my menus are completely different to all the guides I’ve found about it. I’ve also tried an OBD AUX unlock tool, but that has made no difference either.

I currently have it working in a fashion by using Bluetooth to stream the audio, but this isn’t ideal. I’m at a loss as to what to try next and would appreciate any pointers or anything I could try.

Thanks, Chris
I don't know about the C Class or NTG4.5, but have you tried plugging the AUX cable into your car's Comand AUX input (if your car has one) and NOT the Joyeauto harness AUX input?

see this post:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post7932549

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 01-01-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:20 PM

2013 Mercedes C250
I don't know about the C Class or NTG4.5, but have you tried plugging the AUX cable into your car's Comand AUX input (if your car has one) and NOT the Joyeauto harness AUX input?

see this post:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post7932549
Hi and thanks for the reply. I have tried, but I think my Command AUX input is the root of the problem. My car has the MMI connector in the centre armrest, rather than the standard 3.5mm AUX jack.

I’ve been supplied an adapter, MMI to 3.5mm, but my head unit doesn’t see anything and just gives a ‘media interface unavailable’ message. It has always given this same message, regardless of whether the adapter is plugged in or not. I’ve tried with different sound inputs just to check (iPod, phone etc) but still nothing. Thank again for the advice 👍🏻

Old 01-02-2020, 03:54 AM

C Class Coupè C205
Did you have noticed password change on Joyeauto web site?

hi folks. Many compliments for this great forum. I have bought a joyeauto module in november for my mercedes ntg 5.2 c class coupè c205. If you want to have help or suggestions don’t mind to ask! I have noticed a thing...since a couple of days I can’t access to any section, password protected, of joyeauto web site. Do you know anything about? I would check for some firmware upgrade...have an happy new year!! Thanks in advance
Old 01-02-2020, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Andy6s
Yeah, I noticed the same thing about the downloads password. Dunno what's up with that.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:19 AM

C Class Coupè C205
Joyeauto web site’s Password change

Yeah, I noticed the same thing about the downloads password. Dunno what's up with that.
Well...if you’ll have some new info please post ;0) thank you
Old 01-07-2020, 12:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 E350
Here you go guys/gals, apparently, there have been a few new updates:
passwords to access different areas of the site, lots of info I wish we had earlier.

Download: joyedow
Installation: joyeins
Tech Support: joyetec
User Manual: joyeauto*
The following 3 users liked this post by thedanofsteel:
achandab1 (08-06-2020), cadetdrivr (01-07-2020), pl626 (07-29-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 12:40 PM

C Class Coupè C205
Thank u

Originally Posted by thedanofsteel
passwords to access different areas of the site, lots of info I wish we had earlier.

very gentle. Thank you sooo much!!! I hope to give you (all) technical help if needed. Very happy if i could give you my Contribution
Old 01-07-2020, 09:02 PM

It looks like there was an update on 12/9. Has anyone updated yet?
Old 01-08-2020, 05:55 AM

C Class Coupè C205
I have installed it

Originally Posted by Davery
It looks like there was an update on 12/9. Has anyone updated yet?
well, i have installed it. I have noticed a bit improvement in connection performance but up to nowadays i don’t understand what mean for airplay upgrade in the description (my previous firmware of october has already the mirroring) and youtube too. For youtube i can only noticed that you can stream the audio from carplay but not the video (i was convinced that I could find the app icon but it not so). Happy to have some suggestions from you. Be careful...after upgrade idcore link isn’t showed on Bluetooth research...i solved making the pair from joyeauto carplay setup (bluetooth section) and not from the iphone.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 E350
Originally Posted by Andy6s
well, i have installed it. I have noticed a bit improvement in connection performance but up to nowadays i don’t understand what mean for airplay upgrade in the description (my previous firmware of october has already the mirroring) and youtube too. For youtube i can only noticed that you can stream the audio from carplay but not the video (i was convinced that I could find the app icon but it not so). Happy to have some suggestions from you. Be careful...after upgrade idcore link isn’t showed on Bluetooth research...i solved making the pair from joyeauto carplay setup (bluetooth section) and not from the iphone.
I'm going to guess by reading the descriptions that is only for the wired CarPlay fix. Maybe the wired didn't have mirroring before? Also the newest one maybe just adds functionality for a USB dongle to allow wireless CarPlay for units that didn't come with it built in? Guessing of course.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:31 PM

I'm going to guess by reading the descriptions that is only for the wired CarPlay fix. Maybe the wired didn't have mirroring before? Also the newest one maybe just adds functionality for a USB dongle to allow wireless CarPlay for units that didn't come with it built in?
FWIW, Joyeauto also sold a totally separate product designed for cars with OEM wired CarPlay that provides aftermarket wireless functionality. (I'm guessing it's essentially a wireless USB dongle.)

The downloads section of their website is confusing, IMHO, as it mixes all the products together.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 01-08-2020 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:05 PM

FWIW, Joyeauto also sold a totally separate product designed for cars with OEM wired CarPlay that provides aftermarket wireless functionality. (I'm guessing it's essentially a wireless USB dongle.)

The downloads section of their website is confusing, IMHO, as it mixes all the products together.
Yes, I was going to buy this for my wife's 2019 Terrain. It states on their website it works with 2019 GMC, but when I emailed them they said it did not. Needless to say, their website leaves alot to be desired.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:16 AM

2013 Mercedes C250
Fibre Optic Loop Problem?

Hi, I would start a new topic for this, but think it might be relevant to the post. Since having the Joyeauto interface fitted, I’ve been having problems with various functions on my Audio 20 unit, which I’m wondering if is consistent with a problem with the MOST loop.

Since fitting the device, my DAB no longer works and gives a ‘Device Unavailable’ message when selecting that menu. I also no longer get the radio station names in the normal FM menu, nor the track names and station information. I’ve tried searching, and seen it suggested that I try resetting the DAB tuner, which I think is in the boot of my C204.

The car is booked in at a Mercedes dealership on Tuesday for another issue, but I’m wondering if there was anything I could try before I get them to look into the issue and pay their extortionate rates! To confirm, I’m getting sound from the radio on FM mode and all other sound is fine (Bluetooth audio, CD etc). Is this consistent with a problem on the fibre optic loop?
Old 01-12-2020, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by CModen84
To confirm, I’m getting sound from the radio on FM mode and all other sound is fine (Bluetooth audio, CD etc). Is this consistent with a problem on the fibre optic loop?
I’m not familiar with the Audio 20 system with DAB, but on both of my NTG4.5./4.7 units one must relocate the fibre connector from the MB harness to the end of the Joyeauto harness that plugs into the MB head unit. Otherwise, it’s not optically connected to anything.

And no, this is not clearly indicated in the Joyeauto “instructions.” See posts #4 and #118 for photos of the fibre connection.

I don’t know if that’s your issue, but if the DAB is in the trunk it sure sounds like it’s not communicating with the head unit.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 01-12-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2000 E430 4Matic; 2008 S550 4Matic; 2012 E350 4matic; 2014 E63S
I recently installed and I can report it also works with Android Auto Wireless in addition to CarPlay. I did have one hiccup during installation. When I turned off the MOST in order to add the Audio Aux functionality, it changed my options from "external amplifier" to "Internal amplifier" without my noticing. Once I put everything together, the unit launched fine but I had no audio even on radio. I thought I had broken something until I found the issue and reset the setting to external amplifier.
The following users liked this post:
cadetdrivr (01-16-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 05:46 PM

2019 GLC 63
Installed the latest update, and now bluetooth is completely not functioning. It does not broadcast as JoyeAuto, or IDCORE anymore. When I attempt to turn on bluetooth, the system has some kind of failure, and the rest of the bluetooth options are disabled. So this means I can't visit like the "paired devices" or "discover" menu options. Have tried to reboot, and also leave car off for 20 minutes, but neither seems to bring it back. Another interesting thing is the "bluetooth name" menu says "Unavailable" which seems to indicate something has gone wrong.

Would urge caution with this update Currently I can only use carplay thru the wired option now, not wireless.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Thanks
Old 01-20-2020, 10:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C300
Installed my unit today but need some troubleshooting help. I have an 08 c300, NTG 4.0 running the software from October 2019. Carplay works with the usb but not wirelessly? I can see and connect to the Joyeauto Bluetooth and the WiFi is visible in my available networks but nothing happens. Has this happened to anyone?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7