E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:29 PM

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts
2012 E550 sedan 2019 E63 Wagon
Don't you need an add-in module for it to work?
Old 01-21-2020, 09:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C300
Never mind. I gave up last night so the car sat overnight. This morning I deleted the Joyeauto Bluetooth connection from my phone and restarted it. Connected to the Joyeauto and carplay popped up. @S. Madman no extra module needed, I believe that’s only for android phones.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 c63 estate
gday all, this seems to be the defacto site thread for the joyeauto and I was wondering if anyone here has info/pics on a w204 install, especially where they located the box itself. cheers
Old 01-29-2020, 04:48 PM

C300
I put the 2 boxes for the pre facelift 204 in the glove box, there is absolutely no room behind the radio. There is barely enough room to fit the extra wiring.
The following users liked this post:
Aussiejase (01-30-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 02:24 AM

2012 c63 estate
thanks for that, was wondering if there was room behind the glovebox but if it has to go in there that is ok too
Old 01-30-2020, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E250
I paid to have mine installed, and the fellow who did it found a spot above and to the left of the passengers left foot. It’s behind the carpeting, not taking up space in the glove box.
Aussiejase (01-30-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 11:00 PM

C300
Originally Posted by Aussiejase
thanks for that, was wondering if there was room behind the glovebox but if it has to go in there that is ok too
There is room there but the wires didn’t seem like they would comfortably reach.

Originally Posted by Favog
I paid to have mine installed, and the fellow who did it found a spot above and to the left of the passengers left foot. It’s behind the carpeting, not taking up space in the glove box.
i thought about this but was concerned about the boxes getting hot. Don’t know what damage that would do in the long term. They take up about half of the top “shelf” of the glove box and you have the benefit of a somewhat temperature controlled glovebox.
Aussiejase (02-11-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 08:58 AM

Mercedes CDI 220 D
Originally Posted by Aussiejase
gday all, this seems to be the defacto site thread for the joyeauto and I was wondering if anyone here has info/pics on a w204 install, especially where they located the box itself. cheers
Hello,

I put mine between radio unit and glove box. Had to remove Glove box and there is empty space where I put unit...
Little problems for arrange cables, i used duck tape an small Plastic Nylon Cable Ties.

Regards,
Aussiejase (02-11-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 09:22 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 E550 Cabriolet 2011 VW Eos 1985 Pininfarina Spider
I attached mine to the bottom of the glove box. It is easy to get to and air can circulate around it.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
none
There is a new 2020 firmware update available for download.
dmarko (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 10:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 GL450
wonder what it does or fixes? I see the dl but as usual no information about it.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 E350
I couldn't get the last 2 updates to install. I hit the update button and then the screen goes black and that's it. It never restarts and nothing else ever happens. I've waited up to 15 minutes for a progress bar or anything. Any ideas? FAT32 formatted flash drive, I've tried a couple of different ones, apparently, it doesn't like certain kinds as it wouldn't see them.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by thedanofsteel
I couldn't get the last 2 updates to install. I hit the update button and then the screen goes black and that's it. It never restarts and nothing else ever happens. I've waited up to 15 minutes for a progress bar or anything. Any ideas? FAT32 formatted flash drive, I've tried a couple of different ones, apparently, it doesn't like certain kinds as it wouldn't see them.
I had that happen on a card, it would not read it. I was able to use another card that worked. How many different cards have you tried? I have not installed the past two updates, as I am not sure what is updated.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 E350
Originally Posted by Davery
I had that happen on a card, it would not read it. I was able to use another card that worked. How many different cards have you tried? I have not installed the past two updates, as I am not sure what is updated.
I tried a generic 4GB that the unit wouldn't even see, a Store N Go 8GB that is the one that would start but never finish. And then i even tried and SD Card in an adapter and that wouldn't work either. I'll have to look around for another one to try.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:35 PM

2014 E220 Cabriolet (A207)
Can’t get HU back in

Hi all
Been following this thread and found all the install info helpful, thanks.

For the life of me I still cannot get the HU to go back in. A lot of you are right about the space centre below the HU and the harness block does seem to push down into it with some force, however it’s really hard to get the HU to clear it afterwards as you can’t hold it down and push in at the same time.

Any other pointers for getting the HU back in including the route of your cables would be very much appreciated.

Im installing into a RHD A207
Old 03-31-2020, 08:05 AM

GLK 300 4Matic
With New Firmware (2020), they add new setting called: Call Quality Test, Not really helped with quality of Calls via Mic from JoyeAuto. Still need to use Bluetooth to answer calls

Old 04-04-2020, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by thedanofsteel
Got mine installed last night, took about an hour and a half on a 2012 E350. Maybe we didn't read the directions closely enough and had some issues getting video working but ultimately got it. Cable colors weren't remotely close to matching anything. Joyeauto were ready to answer any questions and video called on whatsapp during the install too. Looking forward to using it on my trip this week. Side note unit came shipped with the most recent software update 1021 and dip switches set, for my car at least. Thanks everyone for all of your input it helped out immensely.
How did you locate the harness and get the HU back in? Any tips please? I have made 4-5 attempts over a couple of weekends now.....at my wits end :-(
Old 04-04-2020, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
quick question, is there a way we can add the feature of using all the cameras on the car to record as dashcam mode like sentry mode in tesla?
It can either add a battery pack or it can depend on the aux battery alone.
I'm completely fine to use a external thumbdrive for the recordings.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E350
Originally Posted by BillNick
How did you locate the harness and get the HU back in? Any tips please? I have made 4-5 attempts over a couple of weekends now.....at my wits end :-(
hei, I feel your pain and I had the exact issue for several days. I even bought a endoscope to see what's the problem that did not help that much! All I can say is that it's not a magic, you should keep trying. What helped me a lot, was detaching a black wire from body of the HU and tried to reroute all the wire to make them free and separate as much as I could. Also, I remember the best location for the harness was somewhere in the bottom center. just be carefull to not break the optical wires and test the system before trying to put the HU back. you dont want to do this ****ty job twice. btw, you need to try 4-5 attempts per minute not per couple of weeks

Last edited by E Lover; 04-04-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by E Lover
hei, I feel your pain and I had the exact issue for several days. I even bought a endoscope to see what's the problem that did not help that much! All I can say is that it's not a magic, you should keep trying. What helped me a lot, was detaching a black wire from body of the HU and tried to reroute all the wire to make them free and separate as much as I could. Also, I remember the best location for the harness was somewhere in the bottom center. just be carefull to not break the optical wires and test the system before trying to put the HU back. you dont want to do this ****ty job twice. btw, you need to try 4-5 attempts per minute not per couple of weeks
I actually got it pushed back in earlier and with the harness down in the centre bottom like you suggested do I think I’ll go with that.
Problem was wired....it didn’t turn on!! But after a bit of a panic that I had done some damage, I took the battery off and reconnected back to OEM and all is ok....phew!

ill try again but loosen up the cables from on another, the original loom is doubling up on itself now with nowhere to go. Wonder if there is a way I could pull the slack on those back down into the gearbox tunnel area so to remove the slack that I’m sure the HU is crushing.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by BillNick
I actually got it pushed back in earlier and with the harness down in the centre bottom like you suggested do I think I’ll go with that.
Problem was wired....it didn’t turn on!! But after a bit of a panic that I had done some damage, I took the battery off and reconnected back to OEM and all is ok....phew!

ill try again but loosen up the cables from on another, the original loom is doubling up on itself now with nowhere to go. Wonder if there is a way I could pull the slack on those back down into the gearbox tunnel area so to remove the slack that I’m sure the HU is crushing.
Sounds like the issue I had. I would finally get the HU in and then it would not work correctly. I must have had the HU in and back out 5-6 times. It eventually took me several days to get it back in and working. I even tried to have the wiring harness under the glove box, which is where I mounted the interface, but of course that did not work as the wiring was not long enough. I moved very slow, as I did not want to damage anything. What I eventually did was wrap a string around the harness and pull it down into the open space below the HU as I was sliding the HU back in. I was able to access the space below the HU through the side of the center console by pulling the carpet back. That being said, I did damage the optical cables and had to repair those. As most have said, I was able to place the large wiring harness down in the back. I think it may have been off to one side, but I forget which. I also removed a piece of foam insulation for a little more space. And to think on the info I read from Joyeauto, they claimed the interface could fit behind the HU.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:59 PM

Thanks for getting back to me. Seems having the harness/block connector down in the centre is the only way.
Today I finally had success.

My problem when I got it pushed back yesterday (and then it didnt work) is that with the connector block in that 'hole' it doubled back the oem loom which would usually stretch for a perfect fit over to plug into the back corner of the HU. So had to find somewhere to keep these cables both out of the way AND not under any stress - i am sure the pushing I did was what stopped it working.

Anyway...I loosened off the fibre optics but cutting away the tape securing them to the HU loom....I removed the felt insulation which was at the back to see what was behind. I think it is the heater unit but it did also reveal a triangular void in the middle and some space underneath the heater box. So, I plugged the JoyeAuto harness into the OEM loom, positioned in down below in the centre then twisted it anti clockwise which spiralled the OEM loom around it taking all the slack away from the HU cavity. Then replaced the felt insulation once I could see that the HU would clear everything.

I had to then plug the 48pin plug into the HU very difficultly with my hand in through the hole above, where the central vents would normally be....took a while with the hole being so small but managed to get it clipped in....then guess what....it pushed back without any resistance!! Phew!

My god....that was tough....but I would offer detailed guidance to anyone that attempts this installation and gets stuck like I did with putting the HU back, so please just ask.
LeadfootMcKrakn (04-06-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 02:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 GL450
installed the 3-18-2020 update. Wanted to relearn the bluetooth connection and had trouble getting it to connect ended up plugging in cable immediately connected and when i pulled the cable immediately connected wifi.

After that rock solid. Seems a little snappier and iosmirror with youtube worked without issue.

Time will tell if it is more stable and reliable to automatically connect. Half the time I must reconnect the bluetooth from ios

Still amazes me how well the Joyeauto device works providing wireless carplay. So glad I didn't go with the aftermarket android screen

Old 04-08-2020, 04:36 AM

What is the method for making updates to the system please?
I bought my unit in December 2019 and have only just fitted it.....
Old 04-08-2020, 05:03 PM

Received 322 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
I just went to download the latest update and it looks like the Joyeauto site is down. Hmmm....

Has anybody that has downloaded it still have a copy? And if so, can you share it?

Thanks in advance!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7