Preventive Maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 01:47 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
W221/W222/W213/X290
Preventive Maintenance

Hello All,

Wanted to bring up a question that I have yet to see asked on this forum. What preventive maintenance can we do on the M276 engine? I have listed a couple of items below that I can think of off the top of my head:

-Spark Plugs and coils
-Belts & pulleys
-Air filter, oil filter, air intake gaskets, etc
-Coolant flush
-Brake flush

I am by no means any mechanic, and don't know which parts can be swapped out without braking the bank. Obviously we can replace the enter engine with a used one with less miles, but if the engine is working fine now, what components on the transmission, electric system, engine, brakes, etc can we do as a DIY type of deal?

Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (04-09-2021)
Old 09-19-2019, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,123 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Pablochacon
Hello All,

Wanted to bring up a question that I have yet to see asked on this forum. What preventive maintenance can we do on the M276 engine?
You haven't searched much. There are 26 threads with the subject "Spark Plugs" in the thread title, 28 threads concerning "belts" and pulleys, etc. All of these topics have been discussed dozens of times. Do a search and you will find all the DIY topics you can think of.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:37 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
W221/W222/W213/X290
Originally Posted by DFWdude
You haven't searched much. There are 26 threads with the subject "Spark Plugs" in the thread title, 28 threads concerning "belts" and pulleys, etc. All of these topics have been discussed dozens of times. Do a search and you will find all the DIY topics you can think of.
I understand that there are "single topics" concerning each of those. Like I said, Im no mechanic so I'm not going to go through thousands of threads to find out if that is preventative maintenance or not.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
ALL the items you mentioned require periodic, preventive maintenance, usually at different time or mileage intervals.

So, when the time arrives to flush your coolant, you will find dozens of threads on this "single topic" to guide you.

The owner's manual and maintenance manual is your guide. There are electronic versions available from MBUSA.

In short, there is no single thread on preventive maintenance (other than to list the intervals) because preventive mtce does not work that way (all at one time).

Last edited by DFWdude; 09-19-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 710 Likes on 527 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Maintenance manual is what you need to read.

GASKETS? who does that?
Wait till they leak.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,389 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
First thing, there is no such thing as preventive maintenance.
Maintenance has prevention as main purpose.
https://www.mbusa.com/en/owners/manuals you will find some tips in regural manual. Look for Assist Plus.
Some search will also find maintenance manuals, with list of jobs that need to be performed.
W212 is model with huge technology break-in and earlier models are quite different from "lifted" models.
Typical sample - early 7G transmission has only single service recommendation in its life, when later have service every 70k miles, what still depends on the engine.
So no "one shoe fits all"
Old 04-09-2021, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,449 Likes on 2,298 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
low oil pressure helps...

Originally Posted by Billyismyname
Hello All,

Wanted to bring up a question that I have yet to see asked on this forum. What preventive maintenance can we do on the M276 engine? I have listed a couple of items below that I can think of off the top of my head:

-Spark Plugs and coils
-Belts & pulleys
-Air filter, oil filter, air intake gaskets, etc
-Coolant flush
-Brake flush

I am by no means any mechanic, and don't know which parts can be swapped out without braking the bank. Obviously we can replace the enter engine with a used one with less miles, but if the engine is working fine now, what components on the transmission, electric system, engine, brakes, etc can we do as a DIY type of deal?

Thanks in advance!
Contrary to what few others believe, maintenance is the best way to prevent costly failures.
You simply can not follow the book and expect joy.

Secondary chain TENSIONERS L+R:
Tensioner is an hidden away item than is well worth fixing before all the soft phaser pins get wasted. My dealers argued timing rattle is inconsequential...

Actually tensioner seals leak oil pressure that starve upper engine lube (phasers, camshafts).

In addition the M276 engine uses a cleaver solenoid to save gas by regulating lower oil pressures.

This really delivers buckets when the 4 phasers start wobbling with DTC's.
😏

Old 04-10-2021, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
Contrary to what few others believe, maintenance is the best way to prevent costly failures.
You simply can not follow the book and expect joy.

Tensioner is an hidden away item than is well worth fixing before all the soft phaser pins get wasted. My dealers argued timing rattle is inconsequential...

Actually tensioner seals leak oil pressure that starve upper engine lube (phasers, camshafts).

In addition the M276 engine uses a cleaver solenoid to save gas by regulating lower oil pressures.

😏

Burn the car down and start over? Why don't we just rebuild the entire engine as preventative maintenance? Where does it end exactly?

@CaliBenzDriver why are you necromancing old threads with this nonsense?

Old 04-10-2021, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,449 Likes on 2,298 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Burn the car down and start over? Why don't we just rebuild the entire engine as preventative maintenance? Where does it end exactly?

@CaliBenzDriver why are you necromancing old threads with this nonsense?
While I respect your point of view, I am here for knowledge, not daily drama.

The information contained in that W212 thread remains entirely relevant today.

This thread is a body of knowledge focused on one topic, timless piece.
✌️
Old 04-11-2021, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 129 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
FYI, I've searched the site for the proper coolant replacement procedure, can't find anything. Concentrated on W-166 section, used "Coolant flush" & "coolant replacement". Couldn't find one mention of how-to.
So the search function is less than ideal or no one's ever posted a how-to on this.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,008 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
Originally Posted by peter2772000
FYI, I've searched the site for the proper coolant replacement procedure, can't find anything. Concentrated on W-166 section, used "Coolant flush" & "coolant replacement". Couldn't find one mention of how-to.
So the search function is less than ideal or no one's ever posted a how-to on this.
Is the question about procedure for W212? Usually most MBs are similar...

* open expansion reservoir cap
* undo drain plug on radiator
* undo 1 or 2 drain plugs on the block (tucked up under the exhaust manifolds) if desired
* tighten up all drain plugs, refill with proper coolant (usually G-05 or G-48)
* start the car and let it warm up
* if level in reservoir will overflow, install cap
* check and refill reservoir as needed
* set climate control for MAX heat
* once bleed, car not overheating, turn off engine and let cool down
* check and refill reservoir as needed
The following 2 users liked this post by bmwpowere36m3:
CaliBenzDriver (04-11-2021), pierrejoliat (04-11-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 01:49 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver

😏
Jeezzz, everybody knows this stuff already.

I mean, if you go to the gas pump guy in any New Jersey gas station he can explain all of this quite well.

in the meantime, I really want to know what button to press to recirculate my aircondition.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Paxfobiscum
Jeezzz, everybody knows this stuff already.

I mean, if you go to the gas pump guy in any New Jersey gas station he can explain all of this quite well.

in the meantime, I really want to know what button to press to recirculate my aircondition.
Maybe you should ask your gas pump guy at your New Jersey gas station...
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (04-14-2021)