E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Time to wax again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2019 | 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
Time to wax again

It’s been 2 years, time to spend a weekend with the car. As usual, I will fully claybar every square inch of the car, including the wheels. In the past, I’ve done two coats of mequires polish and two coats of mequires wax with a basic 10 inch random orbital. This method has allowed my cars to shine for about two years before needing it again. The claybar makes all the difference.

But I’m intrigued by a different product for the final coat. And considering my car is black (which I presume is a “soft” paint), I’m a little cautious. I’m still going to claybar and polish, but thought I might try this for the final wax.

anyone ever try this stuff before? Thoughts and/or suggestions? I’m not a pro, but slightly above the weekend warrior. Amazon reviews seem to love it.

CarGuys Hybrid Wax Sealant - Most Advanced Top Coat Polish and Sealer on the Market - Infused with Liquid Carnauba for a Deep Hydrophobic Shine on All Types of Surfaces - 18 Ounce Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5KQSKF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fWfQDbN41VYCF
Old 10-17-2019 | 09:23 AM

2012 E350 sedan
For several years, Consumer Reports rates Nu Finish paste as the best, longest lasting car wax. No one else comes close. Mequires NXT and Gold Class liquids produce a slightly better shine but don't last nearly as long. No rating on Car Guys
Old 10-17-2019 | 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
"SOFT" paint?? sounds like an excuse a detailer would use.

paint is paint only thing different is color and then topped with clear coat unless MATTE which has different all together.

Black is a PIA since it will show any defect easier then say a white.
Old 10-17-2019 | 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
I only use Turtle Wax ICE products on all my cars. That's it.
I stopped paying big money for inferior hyped products years ago.
Old 10-17-2019 | 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
Thanks guys, I know wax is a personal preference and typically falls into the debate category of tires and oil! It’s one of those areas nearly impossible to say one is far better than the other when it’s just a few brands. I was curious if anyone has given this product a try yet and had any decent feedback on it. Think I’ll give it a shot and see what comes of it. Hardest part for me is the claybar. Once that’s done, it’s all gravy thereafter.

soft paint - maybe a bit dated in my thinking/understanding, but on an older Lexus LS400 I used to own (black), the paint was “soft”, meaning it was much easier to correct scratches and nicks when you waxed it up. Manufacturers would use soft for black for this reason since black shows defects so easily. But it required more attention because crap would get onto the paint far easier than say a beige color that was hardened by a different type of clear coat protectant. I assumed my MB was soft as I can see a ton of crud stuck to the paint on the hood now and can easily feel it when I rub my hand across it, especially if using a plastic bag as a glove. I recall how bad the claybar looked when I did this chore the first time two years ago when the car was 3 years old and highly doubt ever seriously detailed. Reminded me how bad the claybar would look on that old Lexus years ago.
Old 10-17-2019 | 11:28 AM

2015 E400
My neighbor spent almost $2000 for a professional ceramic coating at a local shop.
Been doing some research online, & thinking about replacing wax with a couple of coats of this DIY ceramic coating:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q6PR6LW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q6PR6LW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-17-2019 | 12:09 PM

2015 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2018 GLE350 4Matic
I recently did my car and found orange spots stuck to the paint that I assume were iron deposits. The claybar wouldn't touch them. I ended up going the same route I did on my wife's car which had seen a few years of neglect and abuse, and that was to do a multi-step "correction". I used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound to remove the iron deposits, scratches and swirl marks, followed by Meguiar's Ultimate Polish for shine, and finished with Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish. My car is white, which I find is a color that doesn't really shine. My wife's car is a charcoal metallic and it came out looking great. I don't think the Fast Finish shines as much as a wax does, but it is super easy to put on and seems to last.

If you don't want to take the time to do multi step then a cleaner wax might be the way to go.
Old 10-17-2019 | 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Mercedes paint is hard I don't think the black is any softer than my Palladium E.

I did a serious correction on my wife's Black (040) wagon in February after a ski trip. Clay Bar, multiple polish steps, a sealant and wax. It needs it again, but I haven't had the time. I used to use just wax, but the Giots one-step sealant as well as their plain sealant made a believer out of me. I let the sealant dry at least 12 hours before I top with wax, I've not tried the nano-ceramic coatings yet.

There is so much hype on products. I know when I did my last correction I got some Meguires polish at the local store, but found out that it had some glaze in it as well to fill in the cracks, as it looked fine until I wiped the car off with rubbing alcohol and some scratches re-appeared. Next time I'll stick to their professional line in beige bottles.

I'm leary of anything that is spay on wipe off. I've tried spay on waxes between serious details and am never impressed. I'd be hard pressed to rely on that after I spend so much time doing the polish correction.

Autogeek is always having a 25% off sale if you sign up for their emails.
Old 10-17-2019 | 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 v8-Biturbo
Meguiars is great stuff and i use it on most of my cars (clay, polish, wax). But, synthetics do last longer and ceramic coatings beat wax for longevity and gloss. My E550 is ceramic coated and it has been shining well and beading great for two years. YMMV