E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Android Auto functionality AFTER software updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 12:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E350
Android Auto/Apple CarPlay functionality AFTER software updates

Starting a new/separate thread about AA after doing the software and firmware updates.
Has anyone done a forced AA update to the new 2019 version? Anyone ask Vladmir about compatibility with his software updates?
I got a 2016 with Vladmir's magic updates. Running Android 9 (Pie) and last year's AA (i.e. have not forced update to new AA)

Last edited by mbMJDude; 10-27-2019 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Clarifications
The following users liked this post:
nightspd (10-27-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 03:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 E350 Sport Wagon
I don't use an Android phone, but I have updated my iPhone software to iOS13 and haven't had any problems using Apple CarPlay on my 2016 E-Class via Vladimir's OBDII solution. I enjoy the updated CarPlay functionality: Here's What the iOS 13 Software Update Means for Apple CarPlay

FWIW, I took my E-Class in for an A Service at the MB dealership after updating my software to Apple CarPlay and still had full functionality after the service was completed. However, I did leave COMAND on the MB navigation screen when I brought my car in so the installation of CarPlay was not obvious.

Can the OP update this thread to read "Android Auto/Apple CarPlay functionality AFTER software updates"?

- Longroof
The following users liked this post:
nightspd (10-27-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 03:50 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 S212
Originally Posted by mbMJDude
Starting a new/separate thread about AA after doing the software and firmware updates.
Has anyone done a forced AA update to the new 2019 version? Anyone ask Vladmir about compatibility with his software updates?
I got a 2016 with Vladmir's magic updates. Running Android 9 (Pie) and last year's AA (i.e. have not forced update to new AA)
Are you referring to the update released on Oct 25th 2019? I guess it is technically possible, since your posting is dated Oct. 26th but...
Vladimir confirmed my VIN but I would rather wait to order until there is a definitive answer on the ACP / AA compatibility with the new software.
Thanks.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:30 PM

E350
I was referring to the "rewrite" released in the July 2019 timeframe.
And Longroof, I changed the title of the thread (at least the edit page says I have changed and saved it), but I don't see the edit in the forum titles. My original idea was to have two separate threads, one for AA and one for CP, since the app functionality is so dissimilar and independent.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:06 PM

2016 S212
I confirmed at the dealer the the Oct 25th update is only for the mbrace control unit - telematics, I guess - so it would not be applicable.in this case.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:15 PM

E350
I emailed "Vladmir" and he said "yes, it is compatible with all AA...as AA works at the smartphone. COMMAND just shows the translated picture - not more"
I'm not signing up to be the first to try this out since the UI has changed so much. If anyone is willing to be the first - please let us know.
The detail about the latest version can be found at:.
https://www.blog.google/products/and...e-android-auto
Old 10-31-2019, 03:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2000 CLK320 (SOLD); 2016 E400 4MATIC
Sorry, but what are we talking about here? Are we talking about the OS on an Android device with the new look and feel of AA? Or are we talking about a new firmware upgrade provided by Mercedes-Benz?

If it is the former, by that I mean, Android Auto, then I can confirm that it works. The UI, as linked in the last comment by mbMJDude, is displayed in our command unit and functions perfectly - I enabled the "Try the new Android Auto" under settings and I use a BlackBerry Key2 device that has Android OS 8.1.0, along with AA version 4.7 updated on Oct 4, 2019, if that helps.

Last edited by masads; 10-31-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLS550 in BLACK
Originally Posted by masads
Sorry, but what are we talking about here? Are we talking about the OS on an Android device with the new look and feel of AA? Or are we talking about a new firmware upgrade provided by Mercedes-Benz?

If it is the former, by that I mean, Android Auto, then I can confirm that it works. The UI, as linked in the last comment by mbMJDude, is displayed in our command unit and functions perfectly - I enabled the "Try the new Android Auto" under settings and I use a BlackBerry Key2 device that has Android OS 8.1.0, along with AA version 4.7 updated on Oct 4, 2019, if that helps.

The software in the Mecedes Benz infotainment system called COMAND. This software is strictly under control by Mercedes Benz. There are hacked jobs for updates out there but not as clean as the COMAND software. Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:58 AM

2016 S212
Originally Posted by mbMJDude
I emailed "Vladmir" and he said "yes, it is compatible with all AA...as AA works at the smartphone. COMMAND just shows the translated picture - not more"
I'm not signing up to be the first to try this out since the UI has changed so much. If anyone is willing to be the first - please let us know.
The detail about the latest version can be found at:.
https://www.blog.google/products/and...e-android-auto
Well, it's all in the hands of belpost and USPS now. I will update the thread when I get it up and running. Hopefully
Old 11-01-2019, 08:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 E350 Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by ClasseMiaMadra
Well, it's all in the hands of belpost and USPS now. I will update the thread when I get it up and running. Hopefully
Glad to hear that you decided to join the W212 AA update bandwagon. Please post your AA experience after installing Vladamir's update to this thread: Android Auto in 2016 W212

- Longroof