E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Drl daytime

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E250
Drl daytime

Hi I noticed that my drls don’t come on during daytime, for example on sunlight. It does come on during evening time. Seems like the light sensor controls it. Is this normal? Can I change it to come on always?

2014 e250, facelift, partial led headlights

Old 11-26-2019, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Did you put your lights on Auto mode?

Should be in this position:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xewAA...v6/s-l1600.jpg
Old 11-26-2019, 04:49 PM

E250
Originally Posted by raja777m
Did you put your lights on Auto mode?

Should be in this position:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xewAA...v6/s-l1600.jpg
yes they are on auto. The a sign...
Old 11-27-2019, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,121 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Reading your other thread... If you have tapped into the DRLs to power your illuminated grille star, it's likely this has affected how the DRLs work. The wiring for the car's external lighting is very complicated, and the electronics are highly controlled. Any interruption in this circuitry will cause unpredictable behavior that will be difficult to diagnose and repair.

I'd remove the wiring splice for the grille star at the DRLs, reseal and wrap the former splice area thoroughly with waterproof materials, and then retest your DRLs. Hopefully the DRLs will then return to normal.
The following users liked this post:
raj.134 (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 10:01 AM

E250
Thanks for your input on this issue.

Just to clarify, I have not tapped into any wires, and no splicing done. Even before I got the star I noticed the following conditions with the DRL lights:
  • DRL's come on always during evening/night time when unlocking/locking. DRL's stay on with headlights.
  • DRL's do not come on during daytime when unlocking/locking the car. Have to manually turn the light switch to one notch left and then the DRL's are on only.
From what I understand, the DRLs are controlled by the light sensor. if it's not dark, the DRL's stay off. there is an option in the dash that allows me to turn the DRL's on or off, I think this is for leaving DRL off completely but I can try the test and see if this makes the DRL's come on during the day.

FYI: I have partial LED lights, not full.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
W212 E250 BT 4M
Perhaps it has something to do with your country regulations since it looks like you are not in the US.
raj.134 (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,121 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by GuestFromTampa
Perhaps it has something to do with your country regulations since it looks like you are not in the US.
Ah, perhaps, if "IRL" on the license plate means Ireland. Certainly not a North American plate. Laws in other countries may not require DRL availability.

Originally Posted by raj.134
Just to clarify, I have not tapped into any wires, and no splicing done. Even before I got the star I noticed the following conditions with the DRL lights:
  • DRL's come on always during evening/night time when unlocking/locking. DRL's stay on with headlights.
  • DRL's do not come on during daytime when unlocking/locking the car. Have to manually turn the light switch to one notch left and then the DRL's are on only.
From what I understand, the DRLs are controlled by the light sensor.
Thanks for the clarification. All of your other lights work as normal -- via the sensor -- as you describe. In this case, the "DRLs" are just the normal "city lights" or "parking lights..."

In countries where DRL availability is required, the City Lights are not triggered as DRLs via the sensor. Instead, they will light whenever the ignition is on (night or day), and the light switch is set for Auto.

Last edited by DFWdude; 11-27-2019 at 11:13 AM.
raj.134 (11-27-2019)

Trending Topics

Old 11-27-2019, 11:31 AM

E250
Originally Posted by DFWdude
Ah, perhaps, if "IRL" on the license plate means Ireland. Certainly not a North American plate. Laws in other countries may not require DRL availability.

Thanks for the clarification. All of your other lights work as normal -- via the sensor -- as you describe. In this case, the "DRLs" are just the normal "city lights" or "parking lights..."

In countries where DRL availability is required, the City Lights are not triggered as DRLs via the sensor. Instead, they will light whenever the ignition is on (night or day), and the light switch is set for Auto.

Yes, I am in Ireland. I don't know about the DRL laws here but I had 2011 BMW 3 Series before this and the DRL's on that car would remain on regardless of time. Maybe its how they were manufacturer coded.

I guess, if that's how they came, they will have to stay that way. Pity, Mercedes cannot be coded using a "Carly" adapter like BMW's.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 MBZ E350
Did you check your settings? Make sure DRL are set to on.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 634 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
DRL means Daytime Running Light.

We we all know this and these lights should come on at daytime. The purpose of these lights is to make car visible to other road users and are very helpful when car drives with low sun behind or in a dark shadow. The lights have been made extra bright and to emit light in wide angle for the best visibility.

Because of the type of the light used DRLs should NEVER be on at night with full power so I’m thinking someone changed the coding for the lights as they seem to work opposite from the darkness sensor.

If someone used the DRL wire for triggering that star light he made a big mistake. Should have used parking light or the head light wire for that purpose.

My car has DRLs that stay on at all times but when head lights come on the DRLs dim down to 20-30% power and do not cause problems for on-coming traffic in dark. I have read that newer models have them turn completely off when head lights come on but I think in those cars the coding could be changed to keep them on at low power. Makes the car front look good in dark.

Last edited by Arrie; 11-30-2019 at 04:46 PM.