Car goes into limp home following software update at Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E350 Diesel Estate W212
Car goes into limp home following software update at Mercedes

Hi,
Wondering if someone could offer me some advice or if anyone has experienced anything similar.

On the 23rd Dec my 2010 w212 E350 CDI went into Mercedes for a software update (recall) on the engine management. Before it went in everything was absolutely fine and the dealer didn’t report anything via their usual health check of the vehicle, no fault codes other than something to do with the lights which I was already aware of.

Within 10 minutes of driving the car home I noticed it had no power. You’d try to accelerate hard and it wouldn’t kick down a gear. Basically goes into limp home mode but without any alerts on the dash. Went straight back to dealer for them to take a look but in typical fashion when I powered the vehicle off and back on the fault went away just in time for the service technician to take a look.

Since then it’s happened a number of times and I’ve got it booked in at the same Merc dealer to take a look. Anticipating they’ll say it’s nothing to do with the software update I’ve had it scanned independently and it’s registered the following following fault code;

“15FD00 The lower limit value of component ‘b28/8 (Dpf differential pressure sensor)’ has not been reached”

Is it possible by updating the software that some of the limit values have changed and therefore causing this problem or is it just a coincidence and I’ve a faulty sensor?

Thanks in advance
The following 2 users liked this post by MBE350RA:
Darius76 (05-11-2020), Vic1965 (02-03-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
When s**t can happen anytime, I would love to hear dealers explanation on the code.
If I read it correctly, the DPF reports too low pressure differential, meaning DPF is too clean?
Than the limits are set by software. ......
That MY are rare and never made it to America, when the OM642 engine has huge number of variations.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:17 PM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
2013 E550 sedan
This concerns me as I took our M278 E550 in for a TSB and Oil Change and SA said their was a MB required ECU update for "out of specification"... something. Our car ran super quick going in, and I'm hoping they don't de-tune it, or worse...
Old 01-07-2020, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E350 Diesel Estate W212
Yeah I agree it does seem to suggest it’s too clean... I’ll let you know what the dealer says 👍
Old 01-08-2020, 02:09 AM

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
2012 E550 sedan 2019 E63 Wagon
Oh yeah they will detune it all right. They detuned mine, luckily I had a Renntech hand held tuner so I was back in 2 minutes.
The following users liked this post:
Vic1965 (02-03-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212 350CDI
Angry

Originally Posted by MBE350RA
Yeah I agree it does seem to suggest it’s too clean... I’ll let you know what the dealer says 👍
I have exactly the same problem. Could you tell me how did you fix it?
Old 05-11-2020, 02:22 PM

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
2013 SL550 BiTurbo
Call the dealer and tell them to send a tow truck. They worked on it when it was fine, and now it's not. Take it back.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,121 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Doesn't read to me that you are in "Limp" mode. In true "Limp" mode, the car will not shift out of first gear.

I've had this happen with my older MB. Driving anywhere in 1st gear is no fun, and easy to overheat the engine if driving any distance (5+ miles).
Old 05-11-2020, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
It is 2nd gear on modern cars.
And depends on the car. I bought SL500 with 5G who was in limp. Drove it 23 miles home just fine. Darn thing could reach 80 mph on 2nd gear, so I consider 60 mph safety margin.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:20 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2010 GL350 BLUETEC, 2013 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by kajtek1
When s**t can happen anytime, I would love to hear dealers explanation on the code.
If I read it correctly, the DPF reports too low pressure differential, meaning DPF is too clean?
Could be that MB has coded in a way to spot folks that have their DPF hollowed out. Update will generate huge revenue from owners who had taken "measures" to avoid paying for a new dpf, but now you've fallen into their trap by updating.
(Just my rampant speculation without any basis in fact to support it.....but you know I could be right)
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 08:07 AM

C350
Originally Posted by MBE350RA
Hi,
Wondering if someone could offer me some advice or if anyone has experienced anything similar.

On the 23rd Dec my 2010 w212 E350 CDI went into Mercedes for a software update (recall) on the engine management. Before it went in everything was absolutely fine and the dealer didn’t report anything via their usual health check of the vehicle, no fault codes other than something to do with the lights which I was already aware of.

Within 10 minutes of driving the car home I noticed it had no power. You’d try to accelerate hard and it wouldn’t kick down a gear. Basically goes into limp home mode but without any alerts on the dash. Went straight back to dealer for them to take a look but in typical fashion when I powered the vehicle off and back on the fault went away just in time for the service technician to take a look.

Since then it’s happened a number of times and I’ve got it booked in at the same Merc dealer to take a look. Anticipating they’ll say it’s nothing to do with the software update I’ve had it scanned independently and it’s registered the following following fault code;

“15FD00 The lower limit value of component ‘b28/8 (Dpf differential pressure sensor)’ has not been reached”

Is it possible by updating the software that some of the limit values have changed and therefore causing this problem or is it just a coincidence and I’ve a faulty sensor?

Thanks in advance
Same Problem. Dpf off Mods fail.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:26 PM

W212
Originally Posted by Darius76
I have exactly the same problem. Could you tell me how did you fix it?
I have too... -_-
Old 01-08-2021, 04:24 PM

C350
There is a solution

Originally Posted by Bence Farkas
I have too... -_-
My car runs again . Without Dpf and Error Code.
It is possible with good Chiptuning
Old 01-11-2021, 02:51 AM

W212
how many kms you have in your car? Cause i heva 129.000km and dont think my dpf is bad. No check engine no faul code. :/ And after the limp kicks and i turn it off and turn it on no problem. So i dont know what is the problem exactly. Maybe i try to buckup the ecu maybe it will resolve my problem. Tell u the truth i dont want to cut out the dpf.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:36 AM

C350
how many kms you have in your car? Cause i heva 129.000km and dont think my dpf is bad. No check engine no faul code. :/ And after the limp kicks and i turn it off and turn it on no problem. So i dont know what is the problem exactly. Maybe i try to buckup the ecu maybe it will resolve my problem. Tell u the truth i dont want to cut out the dpf.
129.000 you can kill dpf only with very rude driving style or engine is faulty and produces lots of sooth. Probability is higher that dpf got a crack. This is what happened to my dpf at 67.000km. Beginning: problem comes and goes. After a while... Big problem. Pay >2000,- at mercedes or Elimination.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:14 AM

W212
If my dpf is bad there should be a check engine light, or no? Because while i drive it on the highway never came this problem only when the road is a bit 'hilly' and im driving up but not always. For example: i would drive the car now this is not sure it will throw the problem. Maybe 2 days later but maybe 1 week leater. And cant understand why is it ok after restart. If my dpf would **** the problem would be there always.(I think this would be the normal).
Now i feel there is a significant figure what came with the new update and the car cant goes below this and maybe thats why i get limp mode.
In the service they told me the dpf is ok its dry and they checked the live datas and its was okay... no body know the problem because there is no a constant problem. I dont know what to do. The car is like a new oil change every 8.000-10.000 kms.
In the city im using a different car. So really dont know what happend or what would be the solution.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:27 AM

C350
If my dpf is bad there should be a check engine light, or no? Because while i drive it on the highway never came this problem only when the road is a bit 'hilly' and im driving up but not always. For example: i would drive the car now this is not sure it will throw the problem. Maybe 2 days later but maybe 1 week leater. And cant understand why is it ok after restart. If my dpf would **** the problem would be there always.(I think this would be the normal).
Now i feel there is a significant figure what came with the new update and the car cant goes below this and maybe thats why i get limp mode.
In the service they told me the dpf is ok its dry and they checked the live datas and its was okay... no body know the problem because there is no a constant problem. I dont know what to do. The car is like a new oil change every 8.000-10.000 kms.
In the city im using a different car. So really dont know what happend or what would be the solution.
Thats the special thing about this creepy update! There are several ways car goes limp and engine light is NOT necessary.

Make visual inspection of dpf. I found crack. If dpf gets hot (uphill) crack opens and sensor knocks you out.
In the beginning Software values may be okay at one Moment but in the next driving Situation its limp
Old 01-11-2021, 05:40 AM

W212
Thank you for the quick reply
Im not sure the dpf is bad cause my mechanic checked the car for 4 days and he was searching for any mechanical problems but he found nothing :/
Maybe the ****ty update and the new ecu remap will be the key