E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

DIY: Kremersino Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.0

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 06:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
'10 W204 C300
Originally Posted by deeoh
@S550e I had a chance to change the settings in the engineering mode, I even double checked the settings afterwards. But no luck . Once I unplug the jack from the MMI cable, I get no sound. So maybe the W212 HU is different from the W204 HU?

Other than that experiment, everything works awesome. Not bad, considering it's 10+ year old equipment. Btw, I clipped the external mic to the harness between the vent panel for Siri function and text message dictation (new iOS 14 coming soon too). I learned this trick from the BMW guys and it works perfectly and out of view!

Your page should be extremely valuable to the NTG 4.0 newbies who wanna take the plunge. It's not perfect, but comes pretty darn close, and everything's is here on one page! Maybe a FAQ page may also help? I'll help contribute if I can, lmk...
I don't have the box yet, thought that I will try to go ahead a bit and yesterday evening I have set the AUX as indicated on the video, but did not try it. Today when I started the car there was no sound at all, no aux, no radio, not even the guidance from the built in navigation. I ended up resetting the head unit in the normal user interface, not in the engineering mode, and it solved half of the problem, got the audio back for the radio and everything, except AUX.

When I got home I had some time to play with it, so what I have found is that if audio AUX is ON, the head unit is trying to connect to the 3,5mm jack which is usually on the side of the glovebox, but in my W204 it's not installed, I have the MMI connector on the top of the glovebox. After switching and restarting back and forth I figured, that UCI should be turned on for the MMI port (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-c...ml#post4996430), but it was greyed out. What I did is switched OFF the audio AUX and it was selectable, so I set it to installed as on the picture, and bamm, sound is back as it was before. Just for clarity, I still choose AUX from the audio, even if it's disabled, I guess UCI switches it on automatically.

I am not sure how the box is wired and can't test it yet, but it might be a step forward of understanding, that AUX might be the 3,5mm jack, UCI is the MMI.

Maybe it would worth a try for you if you set AUX to ON, external amp and everything as on the video, and see what happens (S550e did the setting and his MMI port does not make a difference if it's plugged in or not). If I'm right, the MMI port should be disabled if the AUX is ON. Oh and please note, that I am just guessing and testing, not a pro
Old 09-15-2020, 06:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2011 C63 P31 2015 BMW X5M Schwarz Einhorn w/Bootmod3
Originally Posted by aibkaresz
I don't have the box yet, thought that I will try to go ahead a bit and yesterday evening I have set the AUX as indicated on the video, but did not try it. Today when I started the car there was no sound at all, no aux, no radio, not even the guidance from the built in navigation. I ended up resetting the head unit in the normal user interface, not in the engineering mode, and it solved half of the problem, got the audio back for the radio and everything, except AUX.

When I got home I had some time to play with it, so what I have found is that if audio AUX is ON, the head unit is trying to connect to the 3,5mm jack which is usually on the side of the glovebox, but in my W204 it's not installed, I have the MMI connector on the top of the glovebox. After switching and restarting back and forth I figured, that UCI should be turned on for the MMI port (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-c...ml#post4996430), but it was greyed out. What I did is switched OFF the audio AUX and it was selectable, so I set it to installed as on the picture, and bamm, sound is back as it was before. Just for clarity, I still choose AUX from the audio, even if it's disabled, I guess UCI switches it on automatically. And btw, whatever happened to @reject ? He was one of the early adopters.

I am not sure how the box is wired and can't test it yet, but it might be a step forward of understanding, that AUX might be the 3,5mm jack, UCI is the MMI.

Maybe it would worth a try for you if you set AUX to ON, external amp and everything as on the video, and see what happens (S550e did the setting and his MMI port does not make a difference if it's plugged in or not). If I'm right, the MMI port should be disabled if the AUX is ON. Oh and please note, that I am just guessing and testing, not a pro
@aibkaresz Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give it a try. Also, keep us all posted on your findings, since we both have W204's. The odd thing about fooling around with the engineering settings is: I've lost sat radio. User error? Maybe it's just a coincidence? Probably not related? Who knows?

1 gripe I do have is: boot time is extremely slow, compared to my Joyeauto unit. Once my other car wakes, up it pairs up immediately. This one? Not so much. But once connected, it works pretty well.

Last edited by deeoh; 09-15-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:53 PM

'10 W204 C300
@aibkaresz keep us all posted on your findings, since we both have W204's. The odd thing about fooling around with the engineering settings is: I've lost sat radio. User error? Maybe it's just a coincidence? Probably not related? Who knows?

1 gripe I do have is: boot time is extremely slow, compared to my Joyeauto unit. Once my other car wakes, up it pairs up immediately. This one? Not so much. But once connected, it works pretty well.
Check the TGW Parameter -> DAB, set it to installed if it’s not. As I understand turning MOST OFF resets these settings 🤷‍♂️.

For sure, I will also keep you guys posted, can’t wait to get my box. I’m still trying to figure out what does 7” and +7” means with the dip switches. Since you had an issue I might try it straight with +7
Old 09-15-2020, 07:03 PM

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
W222 S550e, C207 E550, W212 E350
Interesting... my wireless CarPlay connects instantly upon starting the vehicle. The wait time is almost nonexistent.

Keep us updated on the AUX... I think @aibkaresz has it fairly understood.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:12 PM

@aibkaresz Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give it a try. Also, keep us all posted on your findings, since we both have W204's. The odd thing about fooling around with the engineering settings is: I've lost sat radio. User error? Maybe it's just a coincidence? Probably not related? Who knows?

If this helps, this is what happened in my install...

Prior to my installation, I did NOT mess with any aux settings in engineering mode. I did ocasioanlly use the MMI to Aux jack for iPod music. It worked fine.

When I buttoned everything back up and tested for sound, I got nothing. I suspected it was because I did not plug the Aux cord coming from the CP unit to the MMI jack. That's why I went to Guitar Center and picked up the adapter so I could connect the two.

After purchasing the adapter, I plugged in the Aux cord and still got no sound.

It was at that point that I went into engineering mode to turn Audio AUX to ON (with the other engineering mode steps of course). Then the sound came right on, I thought it was the MMI to AUX jack and adapter working because it was still plugged in at that time.

A day later, messing around, I unplugged the MMI to Aux cords and still had sound playing through the cabin. I thought I was losing it. I think @aibkaresz is right, my MMI port is now inoperative and it is operating from the 'Internal AUX'

So I thought it was interesting when you mentioned that you had sound working with the MMI to AUX, and no sound upon unplugging.

Hope this helps
Old 09-15-2020, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by S550e
Interesting... my wireless CarPlay connects instantly upon starting the vehicle. The wait time is almost nonexistent.

Keep us updated on the AUX... I think @aibkaresz has it fairly understood.
Key word here is "starting". I'll double check this, as there's a green glowing light inside the box when it wakes up.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:17 PM

Check the TGW Parameter -> DAB, set it to installed if it’s not. As I understand turning MOST OFF resets these settings 🤷‍♂️.

For sure, I will also keep you guys posted, can’t wait to get my box. I’m still trying to figure out what does 7” and +7” means with the dip switches. Since you had an issue I might try it straight with +7

This should help ^^

Last edited by deeoh; 09-15-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:26 PM

Update: Everything's working great now, once I reset the radio in the command UI, not in engineering mode. I unplugged the MMI cable entirely and still have sound! Thanks to both @S550e amd @aibkaresz !
The following users liked this post:
aibkaresz (09-16-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 08:40 PM

Nice! Glad you could get it working.

Did you have to activate AUX in engineering mode? Is everything put back together?!

Yes I did activate as per the Unichip video. I'll button up later once I figure out the sat radio issue. Things start out so smooth too. Oh well...

Last edited by deeoh; 09-15-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:42 PM

Update: Everything's working great now, once I reset the radio in the command UI, not in engineering mode. I unplugged the MMI cable entirely and still have sound! Thanks to both @S550e amd @aibkaresz !
Nice! Glad you could get it working.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:55 PM

How to lower Waze volume

Plugged in MMI to my iPhone for fun to see if anything would play. No sound so the MMI port is inoperative!

How to lower navigation announcements and alerts in Waze:

Open the Waze app on your phone and click on the settings gear in the top left corner (iPhone)

Hit 'Voice & sound'

Scroll down to volume. I found for me it works pretty well at 30-40. Done

One thing I do not understand about the Waze app is that your music level automatically lowers upon opening the app for the first time. I am not sure if it is physically lowering on the MB speaker volume or it is doing it through the CP interface with Waze or something... It makes everything very loud when you raise the volume. Apple Maps does not do this.

On real CarPlay units installed from factory, you control the volume while the 'lady' is speaking. It will not mess with your music volume. I tried that but it lowers all volume.

I still haven't figured out how to lower the volume in Apple Maps. It is very loud. I already have it set to 'Low Volume' can't imagine how loud it is on the other settings.

May need to disable nav announcements from Apple Maps for now... please chime in if you know the fix.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:43 PM

@@S550e I got a chance to download that PDF. Man, where's was that sheet when I was installing this? Krem can't even include it in the box? Jeez...
Old 09-16-2020, 12:04 AM

@@S550e I got a chance to download that PDF. Man, where's was that sheet when I was installing this? Krem can't even include it in the box? Jeez...
I know right!! It's already hard enough to get a hold of Michael... he barely responds/checks his WhatsApp.

I have been able to get some limited responses through email @ michael@kremersino.com

Hope you have resolved your SAT Radio issue! Wish I could help with that but I have no idea
Old 09-16-2020, 12:51 AM

I know right!! It's already hard enough to get a hold of Michael... he barely responds/checks his WhatsApp.

I have been able to get some limited responses through email @ michael@kremersino.com

Hope you have resolved your SAT Radio issue! Wish I could help with that but I have no idea
Yep, I'll work on that SAT problem tomorrow. I don't think it's related to the installation, because it was working after I installed it. And I didn't disassemble anything once installed. Possibly some changes in the engineering menu? Sometimes when it works, don't fix it! On a similar topic, in some cases, upgrading the firmware has a negative result as well. Tread carefully!

Regarding the Krem unit, all I got was a little flash card in the box, wtf?!? This was my 4th installation (all different brands), so each one's had it's share of quirks, but they're all basically the same plug-n-play boxes. That PDF would've saved me a lot of grief though, lol.

Hardware/software wise, yes they're all different. The problem I keep hearing/reading over & over is the customer service, and this goes for ALL brands. Whether it's a language barrier, time zone difference (+15 hours), customer service is not a priority. But I knew this going in.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, just know what to expect before tackling this project. But for the novice/experienced person out there, this page should help get them through the troubleshooting part at least, without contacting the manufacturer. I'm surprised Michael is still doing customer service lol. In any case, I'll try my best to assist others who are interested installing this AA/CP box. One of the best upgrades I've done for my daily. Off my soapbox now.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:56 AM

'10 W204 C300

This should help ^^
thanks! Also I think the AUX cable from the 48PIN harness is to get sound into the box, not out of the box it really seems that way now, you can just plug your phone in and play wired, but why would anyone do that with wireless and usb capability?

I hope DAB setting to installed solves your issue, keep us updated please!

Also do you have a pic of your microphone installed? This is an exciting place for it! Still balancing between ‘nah I won’t install it’ and ‘if I take it apart, it takes an other 3 minutes’

I hope everything will be fine with iOS14 also!
Old 09-16-2020, 10:15 AM

thanks! Also I think the AUX cable from the 48PIN harness is to get sound into the box, not out of the box it really seems that way now, you can just plug your phone in and play wired, but why would anyone do that with wireless and usb capability?

I hope DAB setting to installed solves your issue, keep us updated please!

Also do you have a pic of your microphone installed? This is an exciting place for it! Still balancing between ‘nah I won’t install it’ and ‘if I take it apart, it takes an other 3 minutes’

I hope everything will be fine with iOS14 also!
Correct, that's why the box needs a Wi-Fi connection to your phone at at times. The mic is clipped to the upper harness between the vents. Siri works great too. Re: DAB, will do.

Last edited by deeoh; 09-16-2020 at 10:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by deeoh:
aibkaresz (09-16-2020), S550e (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 02:03 PM

Yep, I'll work on that SAT problem tomorrow. I don't think it's related to the installation, because it was working after I installed it. And I didn't disassemble anything once installed. Possibly some changes in the engineering menu? Sometimes when it works, don't fix it! On a similar topic, in some cases, upgrading the firmware has a negative result as well. Tread carefully!
Yes, it is something in engineering mode. But like you said, once it works, it's a nail bitter to go back in and try to fix it! I never used/paid for my SAT radio.

Regarding the Krem unit, all I got was a little flash card in the box, wtf?!? This was my 4th installation (all different brands), so each one's had it's share of quirks, but they're all basically the same plug-n-play boxes. That PDF would've saved me a lot of grief though, lol.
Yes haha just a little flash card in the box, sorry I couldn't get it to you sooner.

Hardware/software wise, yes they're all different. The problem I keep hearing/reading over & over is the customer service, and this goes for ALL brands. Whether it's a language barrier, time zone difference (+15 hours), customer service is not a priority. But I knew this going in.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, just know what to expect before tackling this project. But for the novice/experienced person out there, this page should help get them through the troubleshooting part at least, without contacting the manufacturer. I'm surprised Michael is still doing customer service lol. In any case, I'll try my best to assist others who are interested installing this AA/CP box. One of the best upgrades I've done for my daily. Off my soapbox now.
Yes I kind of expected it going into this. That's why these forums are great. Thanks for your words and input, I didn't realize how much experience you have with these types of boxes. Glad we could figure this stuff out. Hopefully it helps convince more people to buy it that were on the fence out purchasing and installing themselves.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:34 PM

Yes, it is something in engineering mode. But like you said, once it works, it's a nail bitter to go back in and try to fix it! I never used/paid for my SAT radio.
Update on the SAT radio problem: Success! I must've changed the RTTIS settings in engineering mode inadvertently. It sure beats having to tear apart the dash again (not fun). I knew it was a engineering settings problem, because the SAT radio worked after I installed the Krem box. So, without a COMAND engineering manual, you are 'flying by the seat of your pants.' Ask me how I know.

Last edited by deeoh; 09-17-2020 at 06:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aibkaresz (09-18-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 06:54 PM

Nice work!!
Old 09-17-2020, 07:12 PM

Thanks! Hey @S550e , did you have a chance to install iOS14 yet? You can now change the wallpaper in CarPlay. Just go to the settings menu in CarPlay to make changes. There's more choices besides white/black. Maybe even customize your own? Hmm...

Last edited by deeoh; 09-17-2020 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:19 PM

Thanks! Hey @S550e , did you have a chance to install iOS14 yet? You can now change the wallpaper in CarPlay. Just go to the settings menu in CarPlay to make changes. There's more choices besides white/black. Maybe even customize your own? Hmm...
No I haven’t updated yet. I usually wait until 14.1 or 14.2 when they have worked out all the post-release bugs. But, great to know! I’m due for an upgrade soon anyways so I might not even bother.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:27 PM

No I haven’t updated yet. I usually wait until 14.1 or 14.2 when they have worked out all the post-release bugs. But, great to know! I’m due for an upgrade soon anyways so I might not even bother.
Yeah, I get it no problem. iOS14.0 1st release is like a beta for the masses lol. I'll upgrade again when they get rid of the notch.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:12 PM

'10 W204 C300
Today I have received my box! I will install it this weekend, already running 14.0.1, I am looking forward to it!
Old 10-06-2020, 08:58 PM

Today I have received my box! I will install it this weekend, already running 14.0.1, I am looking forward to it!
Yay! Good luck and post up your comments, questions, etc
Old 10-08-2020, 03:40 AM

'10 W204 C300
So I could not wait till the weekend and did it in the dark garage haha.

Everything went pretty smooth, mainly because of all the posts here, thanks to @S550e , @cadetdrivr and @deeoh !

First I started with pulling everything apart, that was pretty easy and quick, made a picking tool for the vents from a hanger, and otherwise all you need is a T20 and a T10 in my case for the MMI (if you have one).

I almost gave up a couple of times, because I could not see clearly in the dark garage and told myself: "nah, I will wait till the weekend, just put it back together".

And suddenly I got this view:

From here there was no return!

The cabling is pretty straight forward based on the video, I have also used an other one where they are installing an Android screen for a W204.

I have to say that things were easy and flawless until the head unit is out. It is DEFINITELY the worst part of this job, to get the head unit back. I stuck the LVDS box and the harness behind the AC unit and somehow it is back flush, but I'm still not sure if the original cables and the harness getting a strong push downwards as the HU is sitting on it and might break them. I am thinking about checking on it when I have time, or the less touch the better?

So HU is back, glovebox still out, pushed the MMI connector into the glovebox, removed it's housing with the two T10, and there is a pretty big hole on the top of the glovebox, easy to fit in all the cables. I wanted to be smart and reroute the MMI cable (and all the Carplay cables) below the AC pipe, what goes to the glovebox, but soon I understood why it was that way: otherwise the glovebox does not fit back to it's place .

Right now my glovebox is a mess of cables, I have to arrange them, but did not have the nerves after installing it, I was happy to get everything back in place.

Turned on the radio, I have sound, that's a good sign, screen is flipping out, woohoo, time to long push the call ending button! The Carplay screen came on for a second, then it all went black, no worries, we know what to do, change the dip switch! Solved the problem perfectly! Paired the phone and bamm, there is the Carplay in my 10 years old Merc, could not believe it! Tried the sound quickly, there was none, so no worries again, we know what to do, entered engineering menu (did not exactly do as it was shown), turned off UCI in TGW Parameter, that turns off the MMI port and lets me enable AUX in HU Parameter, so the car thinks that a normal 3,5mm jack is installed (I guess the box is wired that way), and bamm, there was sound, everything worked as it should!

Ah almost forgot, clipped the microphone on the vent harness as advised, tried Siri once, it works perfectly! Much easier place to have the microphone, installed in no time, no need to tuck the wires etc!

Well that's where I am now, the installation took a bit more than 2 hours. In the next couple of days I will test it, but so far after a short drive I must say it is perfect, worth every penny! What I will keep an eye on now is the battery life with the navigation and the constant connection.

I really hope that this post is not a mess, tried to go step by step and type my experiences. All in one: BIG BIG thank you for @S550e , @cadetdrivr and @deeoh , you guys ROCK!

EDIT: I knew I will forget something... Regarding the connection time, my experience so far is that it depends when you unlock the car. I guess the box starts to boot up, and connects to your phone while you get it. In the garage it's pretty hard to get it, the other car is close so it takes more time, by the time I start the car Carplay is on the screen immediately. The other time I got in quicker and I saw the activating Carplay screen for about 2 seconds. Either way I would say it's an immediate connection

Last edited by aibkaresz; 10-08-2020 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Additional info
The following 5 users liked this post by aibkaresz:
cadetdrivr (10-08-2020), deeoh (10-08-2020), dj_lithium (10-13-2023), Gasmiser2000 (10-28-2023), S550e (10-11-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Kremersino Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.0