E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

RacingBrake Rotor Issues 2015 E550 4matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 12:38 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 E550 4Matic
RacingBrake Rotor Issues 2015 E550 4matic

So my journey with RacingBrake started march 2019. Since I installed these rotors last year I have never been able to get my issues resolved. Started with RB Rotors and their PD1149-391 pads , where after the bedding process it felt like I had little to no brakes power. Thats was accompanied by a loud humming and vibration. 2 weeks later I swapped disc italia kevlar pads. These pad provided much better braking but still a humming noise and vibration. After that I tried OE Textar pads..humming noise and vibration. Earlier this year I rebuilt the calipers and installed Brembo Low Met pads and still humming noise with vibration. Between each of these pad changes I did my best to remove any old pad material. Even reached out to racingbrake confirm the process.

I originally ordered your rotors because I wanted the best and decided to spend $1200 on rotors. I didnt have the noise or vibration previously. After discussing my situation with RacingBrake , they provided me a label to ship the rotor to them for an evaluation. The results of that evaluation is that the rotors are in excellent condition. Barely any wear and spinning true (with pictures). $80 to ship back to me.

Before sending the rotor to RacingBrake I purchased and installed a set of Brembo rotors ( 1 piece) and kept the same Brembo low met pads. MAGICALLY my issue has been corrected. I let RacingBrake know about my results and asked them troubleshoot further and possibly mount the rotors to a vehicle. No logical response to my question / results. Just the following "We have verified that there is nothing wrong with the rotors. Please advise what you would like to do with the rotors." I even had a shop take a quick look when doing other work on the car. They pointed at the rotors as being the issue

The $80 to ship unusable rotors to me on top of the $1200 that I originally spent , plus the hours I spent removing and refitting the rotors just doesnt make sense. If someone wants the rotors and willing to pay the $80 shipping let me know. I only ask that you do a followup after installing them

Although I agree the RacingBrake makes a quality product, my set of rotors had big issues. Where RacingBrakes fails BIG TIME is there customer service. Its like taking to a cable company lol. Go ahead and call them and ask a simple question . They dont respond with any logic. They only point out the few success stories sprinkled around the forums For that reason I will never purchase any of the products again.

Old 10-02-2020, 11:47 PM

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
2012 E550 sedan 2019 E63 Wagon
The only good rotors on the E550 are Brembo's with Brembo NAO's pads
Old 10-03-2020, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by S. Madman
id say as long as it is brembo rotors ull be fine.
I too had vibrations when braking..changed a few pads/rotors sets. But then saw that someone used brembo and never had the issue again.
so i went ahead and bought brembo rotors and nao pads.
and boom.. for a few months im enjoying my ride.
A little p.s.
After bedding in process i startrdstarted having a little squealing when coming to a stop. Luckily i had another good set of pads to test it with.. a d squealing is gone not. And braking power is still there. I left brembo pads for later after current set wears off.
so here is my little brake journey haha

Thanks to ppl on this forum
Old 10-03-2020, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by belarus27
I too had vibrations when braking..changed a few pads/rotors sets. But then saw that someone used brembo and never had the issue again.
A little p.s.
After bedding in process i startrdstarted having a little squealing when coming to a stop. Luckily i had another good set of pads to test it with.. a d squealing is gone not. And braking power is still there. I left brembo pads for later after current set wears off.

I am the only on this forum that has posted a recommendation on the brembos for both rotors and pads, so you probably heard it from me.

Glad they served you well. The squealing is caused by the anti corrosion material wearing off. But it lasted for a week then it went away.

Love my Brembos combo.
The following users liked this post:
belarus27 (10-06-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 04:19 PM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
14 E550, 07 E550, 69 Mach I, 65 Hipo, 66 Fairlane GTA Conv, 66 Fairlane GT
Email sent about the rotors.

John
Old 10-05-2020, 11:47 PM

2014 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by belarus27
A little p.s.

I am the only on this forum that has posted a recommendation on the brembos for both rotors and pads, so you probably heard it from me.

Glad they served you well. The squealing is caused by the anti corrosion material wearing off. But it lasted for a week then it went away.

Love my Brembos combo.

So ive done about 3,000 miles since installing the Brembo rotors and Brembo low met pads. Zero issues so far. I went with the low met pads since they were advertised to have more stopping power. Never tried the NAO pads so I cant compare the difference. My only issue now is the brake dust lol. Cant win with this E550. How is the dust with the NAO pads?
Old 10-06-2020, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by KillBillz
So ive done about 3,000 miles since installing the Brembo rotors and Brembo low met pads. Zero issues so far. I went with the low met pads since they were advertised to have more stopping power. Never tried the NAO pads so I cant compare the difference. My only issue now is the brake dust lol. Cant win with this E550. How is the dust with the NAO pads?

Not as bad as stock, but still have to clean them.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Originally Posted by KillBillz
So my journey with RacingBrake started march 2019. Since I installed these rotors last year I have never been able to get my issues resolved. Started with RB Rotors and their PD1149-391 pads , where after the bedding process it felt like I had little to no brakes power. Thats was accompanied by a loud humming and vibration. 2 weeks later I swapped disc italia kevlar pads. These pad provided much better braking but still a humming noise and vibration. After that I tried OE Textar pads..humming noise and vibration. Earlier this year I rebuilt the calipers and installed Brembo Low Met pads and still humming noise with vibration. Between each of these pad changes I did my best to remove any old pad material. Even reached out to racingbrake confirm the process.

I originally ordered your rotors because I wanted the best and decided to spend $1200 on rotors. I didnt have the noise or vibration previously. After discussing my situation with RacingBrake , they provided me a label to ship the rotor to them for an evaluation. The results of that evaluation is that the rotors are in excellent condition. Barely any wear and spinning true (with pictures). $80 to ship back to me.

Before sending the rotor to RacingBrake I purchased and installed a set of Brembo rotors ( 1 piece) and kept the same Brembo low met pads. MAGICALLY my issue has been corrected. I let RacingBrake know about my results and asked them troubleshoot further and possibly mount the rotors to a vehicle. No logical response to my question / results. Just the following "We have verified that there is nothing wrong with the rotors. Please advise what you would like to do with the rotors." I even had a shop take a quick look when doing other work on the car. They pointed at the rotors as being the issue

The $80 to ship unusable rotors to me on top of the $1200 that I originally spent , plus the hours I spent removing and refitting the rotors just doesnt make sense. If someone wants the rotors and willing to pay the $80 shipping let me know. I only ask that you do a followup after installing them

Although I agree the RacingBrake makes a quality product, my set of rotors had big issues. Where RacingBrakes fails BIG TIME is there customer service. Its like taking to a cable company lol. Go ahead and call them and ask a simple question . They dont respond with any logic. They only point out the few success stories sprinkled around the forums For that reason I will never purchase any of the products again.
This post will be responded by RB based on the facts of transactions/communications and the rotors they were returned and our inspection result.

Old 10-07-2020, 06:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Original Order#: 26933 Date: 02/27/2019

1st email reporting the issue; July 30, 2020 - 17 months after purchase. Without regard to its already over the warranty period, we promptly respond to his email on the same day. (Email recd 9:00 am, response was given at 12:00pm)

More email exchange, on 8/7 we issued a call tag for customer to send the questioned rotors back to us for inspection.

On 8/25 an email was sent to customer with our inspection result.
Rotors were received and inspected on run out and thickness with the following observations.

1. Wearing patterns and rotor surfaces are excellent - Smooth and shining; no grove or hot spots are noticed.
2. Rotor thickness is @ 35.93 - 35.96 (new was 36.0) - Literally have no wear at all.
3. TIR (total indicator runout) check indicates a range of 0.01-0.035 on disc, and 0.01-0.02 on rotor hats which confirm the rotors are in perfect conditions without any potential suspect of causing the vibration due to excessive runout.
4. The rotor hats showed some grinding and polishing marks on them (see last 2 pics) which is very unusual and should have never happened for a normal installation although we wonder what's caused that as it (installation against the wheel) could be the culprit of the issue.

The rotors are packed into a new strong box (double wall) to protect the rotors. Since we found no fault on the rotors so you will have to bear the return shipping which is $80 ($62 plus $18 insurance). Upon receipt of Paypal payment to "
tpm@tpmproducts.com" we will ship your rotors back.
Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions and don't hesitate to have your installation shop call us should they require tech assistance.
Attached pics are attached to the 8/25 email detailing how the rotors were inspected.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550

Old 10-07-2020, 07:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Today we took more pics on the Rotor Hats that appeared to have been polished/ground all over the places - Both sides (inner & outer), corners on registered holes and outer corner as you can see below.

Any members who have installed rotor ever seen rotor hats like this before or can guess why this fabrication is required. It's out of our guess.

We only make and supply the parts, how they were installed can well produce different result. It's not our intention to argue with what this customer has claimed, rather we simply present the forging facts to show that RB is a responsive and responsible vender, we don't just sell the parts, we help customers resolve all kids of brake issues.

The customer just informed us to ship his rotors to a new buyer and we can certified those rotors are like new, and for this special case we hereby extend our warranty coverage to the new owner - Just contact us if any assistance is required.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:47 PM

2014 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by RacingBrake
Original Order#: 26933 Date: 02/27/2019

1st email reporting the issue; July 30, 2020 - 17 months after purchase. Without regard to its already over the warranty period, we promptly respond to his email on the same day. (Email recd 9:00 am, response was given at 12:00pm)

More email exchange, on 8/7 we issued a call tag for customer to send the questioned rotors back to us for inspection.

On 8/25 an email was sent to customer with our inspection result.
Rotors were received and inspected on run out and thickness with the following observations.

1. Wearing patterns and rotor surfaces are excellent - Smooth and shining; no grove or hot spots are noticed.
2. Rotor thickness is @ 35.93 - 35.96 (new was 36.0) - Literally have no wear at all.
3. TIR (total indicator runout) check indicates a range of 0.01-0.035 on disc, and 0.01-0.02 on rotor hats which confirm the rotors are in perfect conditions without any potential suspect of causing the vibration due to excessive runout.
4. The rotor hats showed some grinding and polishing marks on them (see last 2 pics) which is very unusual and should have never happened for a normal installation although we wonder what's caused that as it (installation against the wheel) could be the culprit of the issue.

The rotors are packed into a new strong box (double wall) to protect the rotors. Since we found no fault on the rotors so you will have to bear the return shipping which is $80 ($62 plus $18 insurance). Upon receipt of Paypal payment to "
tpm@tpmproducts.com" we will ship your rotors back.
Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions and don't hesitate to have your installation shop call us should they require tech assistance.
Attached pics are attached to the 8/25 email detailing how the rotors were inspected.

RacingBrake,

Yes your timeline is accurate for my purchase date but my issues start way before the 17 month mark. My issue with your company started the day I received the items and had a simply question your team refused to answer... until I started the following thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...w212-e550.html

As stated in this original post I have tried multi things over that time. 3 different pads , rebuilt the calipers, many hours removing and reinstalling. Nothing fixed the problem until I replaced the racingbrake rotors with Brembo rotors. I also stated that the issue gets worst as the rotors heat up. I explained all that to you and asked if you could further look into maybe a balancing issue or possible mount them to a vehicle... the response was:

"We have verified that there is nothing wrong with the rotors. Please advise what you would like to do with the rotors.
In order to send them back we will need a return label.
Please advise."

In response to you last post about the "grinding marks" is from my attempt in resolving this ongoing issue. I purchased some roloc disk in June 2020 , thinking maybe there is a high spot on the hub of the rotor or the hub on my car. That process didnt even take all your paint off, but definitely gave you guys ammo to point the finger. Anyway that did nothing either to correct the issue.

Further more.. I have never asked you for a refund. Just your assistance correcting the problem. BTW the forum member that I asked you to ship the rotors to did not purchase them from me. I am giving them to him because racingbrake was unwilling to work with me. Man thats great you are offering him like new warranty but paying customer cant even call to ask a question. This is damage control at its best.

Last edited by KillBillz; 10-07-2020 at 08:18 PM. Reason: photos were already posted