E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

W212 front and rear drain plugs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 03:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 2011
W212 front and rear drain plugs

Hello guys, please can anyone post a diagram for the front and rear draining plugs on the w212 with panoramic sunroof
And one more question I'm posting a diagram those hoses should be on each side of the car or only on one side
+ how to check and clean them please
@konigstiger

The front and rear hose should be on each side?
Old 03-07-2021, 05:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,298 Likes on 887 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
they are on both sides, and are underneath the car, there should be a number of drains there on the bottom of the car, including the drains for the tray in front of the windsheld, possibly drains for the rear air vents, and so forth.

on every car I've worked on before, they are just about directly below the A and C pillars. shouldn't be hard to spot with the car on a lift, but I've not actually had to do this on my 212 yet.

I've used a guitar steel "E" (bass) string, push the brass donut up through the drain slit and into the tube, run it up and down til gunk flushes out.

Last edited by Left Coast Geek; 03-07-2021 at 05:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 2011
Originally Posted by Left Coast Geek
they are on both sides, and are underneath the car, there should be a number of drains there on the bottom of the car, including the drains for the tray in front of the windsheld, possibly drains for the rear air vents, and so forth.

on every car I've worked on before, they are just about directly below the A and C pillars. shouldn't be hard to spot with the car on a lift, but I've not actually had to do this on my 212 yet.

I've used a guitar steel "E" (bass) string, push the brass donut up through the drain slit and into the tube, run it up and down til gunk flushes out.
2 weeks ago my car was on the lift for brake pads service so I've noticed only one drain tube from the rear right side of the car to the wheel and i didn't check it yet
Next week I'm gonna pour some water into rear drains and see what's happen
Any advice for cleaning the rear drain plugs or how to reach them?
Old 03-07-2021, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,008 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
The right rear tube by the wheel is likely the gas filler drain.... not the sunroof.
pierrejoliat (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,132 Likes on 756 Posts
12 E350 4Matic 13 E350 4Matic AMG Sport
Talking

Originally Posted by Left Coast Geek

A little water and low pressure air might be a better choice, what happens if you rip the tube with that wire guitar string?
Old 03-07-2021, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,191 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
I use weed wacker string, but the guitar string idea is pretty unique.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,008 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
Originally Posted by KEY08
I use weed wacker string, but the guitar string idea is pretty unique.
+1

On the weed wacker line, a little water and a little air pressure usually do the trick
pierrejoliat (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,460 Likes on 2,611 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
The front is easy to blow using air-gun/air-duster, albeit is not directly to the discharge hose, but quite close and wind gust still gets moving air to the discharge hose.
I alternate between water and air, so that I get at some point the water pushing dirt out of the inner wall of the discharge hose.
I use this one : https://www.meijiair.co.jp/en/product/gun/detail/207 the 30cm front black nozzle extension is flexible.

If the rear one is not do-able to directly place nozzle of air duster to discharge port because the sun roof mechanism is blocking.
What I have not tried is, using small OD and slippery but stiff enough pneumatic air-tube like nylon or teflon ones as extension, for rear water discharge port.
Something like this : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NYLON-PNE...-/381345930191

One more thing to note.
When you wash your car properly or after a heavy rain use, wet & wild to so speak, the panaromic roof cavity will hold water, no escape.
Make sure you dry the roof cavity and that fabric based wind deflector material does hold water, I use air compressor and microfiber/cloth to get rid of the water and wetness/dampness.
Otherwise that dampness may corrode the wind deflector metal frame like mine. I just realized this corrosion Jan 2021 when I re-tightened all my panaromic roof mechanism and frames.

any dampness is no good and these dampness may also contribute ( I suspect ) to the car headliner fabric sagging over the long term.

I also suspect a car with this kind of panoramic roof when always parked outdoor in hot sun without shade and with rain often, if enough water left over and repeatedly at the pano cavity, it may produce those
damp smell into the interior due to elevated humidity inside the cabin. After all the pano cavity is part of the car interior.

The pano cavity is not actually self draining until a certain height of water level is achieved, perhaps 2+mm...so small water puddle will form nonetheless.
So any trapped water after a washing or rain if not immediately dried up, will be water vapor adding humidity to the cabin within I think 24 hours.

If I known this earlier, I would be able to prevent rust on my wind deflector frame as that is the first fabric to get hit by water evaporation from pano cavity. Arrgggg.

Often after washing the car, I don't use it for days and can be a week.
I also do not practice drying the pano cavity after car washing or after a big rain. I did not expect a small amount of water to be there ... LOL....until last Jan 2021.

I rarely use the pano, my city is so dusty and the smell of exhaust fume on the road is overwhelming due o bumper-2-bumper traffic all the time.
I press CIRCULATING air button at the HVAC control more often than using the pano , as in 30 minutes or so.... it will automatically set to outside air again. I hate that !!!!

pierrejoliat (03-08-2021)