E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Distronic Plus braking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 10:16 PM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
2019 E300 4matic
Distronic Plus braking

I’ve had a 2016 E 350 with distronic plus and steering assist for about a month. When on the interstate and the car in front is going slower it brakes and slows down just like it’s supposed to but I’ve had the crap scared out of me because if the traffic has come to a dead stop the distronic plus slams on the brakes at the last minute. The distronic adjustment is set so there is the maximum amount of space between cars but the owners manual says that the system should gradually bring the car to a stop. Can the distronic braking be adjusted so it’s a more gradual slow down instead of full emergency braking at the last minute?

Last edited by DeutscheBenz726; 05-31-2021 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,653 Likes on 2,430 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
​​​​​​​dependable with some limitations

As far as my Distro+ module working, only the distance and speed can be adjusted, not the braking profile causing you grief.
D+ provides driver assistance, not replacement. This D+ is a multi module functionality.

I find this system fairly dependable once you have figured it's short comings.

It works best to follow the front vehicle with it's distance mesuring radar.

Following curves with the dual-cameras and staying within lanes really needs hands-on assist from driver.

Where it is not stellar and surprising at times... is at figuring you are driving towards STOPPED TRAFFIC OR INTO A WALL. In that case it tends to react at the last minute - That's when the driver control can save the day.

The part I find a bit flaky is cross traffic and pedestrian detection. It picks up mosquitos randomly and the sensor array shows instability - I believe Distro+ functionality involves these sensors in its mix.
Short range radar
Long range radar
Multifunction Camera
🙂

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 06-01-2021 at 12:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CaliBenzDriver:
bmwpowere36m3 (05-31-2021), DeutscheBenz726 (05-31-2021), pierrejoliat (06-01-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,008 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
Not that I know of...

When Distronic is active, the system will brake as aggressively as the car in front you've been following. What your describing, I think, is the pre-safe braking. In a nutshell, the system detects your approaching an object and you should have already started braking or braking harder... since you haven't, it intervenes.

I think if the speed differential isn't too large, Distonic will handle it. However, if your coming up on stopped traffic at 60+ mph...
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (06-01-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,008 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
From Driver Assistance guide

As noted by CaliBenzDriver...

First time driving the E550 on a backroad to my house, I get an audible warning and collision indicator in the cluster during while on an uphill turn... my heart skipped a beat. It does it every time in the same spot and I can't quite figure out why. There's a large mailbox close to the road and as you crest the hill your pointing straight at it.
Attached Thumbnails Distronic Plus braking-screen-shot-2021-05-31-11.06.22-pm.png  
pierrejoliat (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 10:31 AM

Received 98 Likes on 67 Posts
2016 E350 Sport 2WD
The further behind the target car you are following, the more time would be allowed in which to stop, thus easier braking application. My 2016 Sport works this way quite reliably, although if you follow very closely, you will get a substantially increased braking application. And that's not really different that the way people drive. Make sure your sensors/camera are clean and not obstructed. Rain, bugs, mud will cause problems.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 658 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by E350_Sport
I’ve had a 2016 E 350 with distronic plus and steering assist for about a month. When on the interstate and the car in front is going slower it brakes and slows down just like it’s supposed to but I’ve had the crap scared out of me because if the traffic has come to a dead stop the distronic plus slams on the brakes at the last minute. The distronic adjustment is set so there is the maximum amount of space between cars but the owners manual says that the system should gradually bring the car to a stop. Can the distronic braking be adjusted so it’s a more gradual slow down instead of full emergency braking at the last minute?
Like others have said the Distronic is just an aid. The person sitting behind the wheel is still the one driving the car.

Distronic does not stop the car behind stationary objects. If it did you could not drive the car on winding roads where the front of there car points to objects on side of the road.

The system works well like you say when it follows the traffic on road. But, depending on how close, if the car in front makes a quick stop Distronic may not be able to stop the car in time. It has a limit on the deceleration and if that is not enough to stop the car you will get alarm. If you hit the brake pedal after alarm the car will apply brakes at force needed to stop before hitting the car in front. But you need to hit the brake pedal for this to happen.

If you come to stopped traffic, i.e. car that has stopped before the radar sees it moving, the Distronic does not think it is a car in front of you. If you keep driving the car will alarm you 1.5 seconds before you will hit. If you don't touch the brakes the car will give 40% braking force at 1 second before hitting the object in front. You will hit but with reduced speed that 40% gives but, again, if you hit the brakes at the warning you will get full braking power to stop the car in time if road condition allows.

Above is what I have learned the system does in my 2010 E550. I don't know if this all has changed since.

But the main thing is that Distronic is just an aid, nothing more.

There was a good video in Utube years ago where they showed how the Distronic works. This was by MB and they were hitting stationary objects on purpose to show what the car does. Objects were soft foam blocks stacked as a wall so no damage was done to the car.

pierrejoliat (06-02-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,192 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Originally Posted by E350_Sport
Seems like your expectations are a little out of whack. If you are cruising with Distronic Plus and not following traffic directly ahead of you, there is nothing to gauge traffic speed fluctuations. If you all of a sudden come upon traffic dead stopped, you better be prepared to stop the car. Distronic Plus works wonderfully in stop and go commuter traffic, as it follows the car ahead at speed and then slows when they slow, all of the way to a complete stop if necessary and then it will move out on its own as soon as the car ahead moves out. All of this while staying in your lane. I could read a newspaper on the last half of my journey into the city and never look at the road.