E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Sirius/XM must be having free trial ....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 686 Likes on 509 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Sirius/XM must be having free trial ....

As title says Sirius XM must be having a free trial right now as my command radio system goes nuts when they do...
NAv cannot find HD or locks up after 20 seconds.
USB thumb drive cannot find all the music and will lock up radio sometimes.
Hell sometimes the radio just locks up when listening to local FM and you try to change channel....

I think my Cert warranty ran out but will call dealer to be sure....

ANyone else have this issue I have since I got the car... and seems when I bring to dealer they cannot duplicate since the free trial is over...

Took me 2 times to figure out it was Sirius/xm causing the issues... I just decide do not need it for car and thought all was good until I find out they just turned it on with free trial.

Am I the only one in the world with issue?

ANyone have idea is it a software update or module broken?
few years ago when dealer fixed I asked for software upgrade and they "SAY" they did it (updated maps at same time)

I just get PO all the stupd commercials about the best or nothing and I end up getting the MB version of BLUE SCREEN of death on a simple radio...

They cannot get a simple radio to work... aRGGGGG

Too early for a drink.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,121 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
SiriusXM has free listening thru Jun.8. I have it running in both of my cars, but always let it expire. Just call me an old fart who doesn't pay for radio.

I can run NAV while listening to XM just fine. I can switch between XM and USB drives without issue. Sorry I cannot help further.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 297 Posts
EQ
As DFW mentioned, yes the free trial is active. I had an active subscription in my 2015 E and also now in my 2018 E, I have never had any of the issues you are experiencing. It's possible a COMAND software update may resolve the issue, but that may cost you.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
I think the XM module in my car is bad and when they send it a signal it makes the command computers crash.

I got command update about 2 years ago I think and thought it fixed it then.... but free trial was over by then.
did not know sirius was causing issue then.
So dealer sends a 2 week free trial thing - SURE so I activate it...
and my problems returned... that is when I figured it out.
Calle sirius then to cancel that free trial and within 5 mins of it being turned off - life back to normal.

I called Sirius, no help there after going up the ladder 3 rungs, I was on phone with them for 30 mins begging them to stop the free trial... Cannot do it. they say.

Anyone know where the XM module is? maybe a wire is loose?

Funny thing is only the XM works without command crashing.
Everything else does not work or locks up - Even then weather radio crashes after few mins.

I took a 4 mile round trip to get gas and post office and rebooted about 10 times.

Sometimes I miss old school... the caddy that had a record player built into the dash. or 8-track tapes!
Old 06-04-2021, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Sirus was dropping radio signal every other intersection in Las Vegas, so not being that big fan of music, I canceled the radio subscription, while keeping live traffic.
Took me well over 1 hr on the net and phone to cancel as they use brainwashing tactics to keep you sending them money.
Than during pandemic less traffic I cancel live traffic as well, as I can check it on my android for free.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 491 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Can the XM component of COMAND be simply coded to "not present" to solve the problem?
Old 06-05-2021, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
Originally Posted by rapidoxidation
Can the XM component of COMAND be simply coded to "not present" to solve the problem?
NOw that would be nice... or maybe turned off in the engineering menu thingy I have never used.... and afraid of using for making my car immobile

Trending Topics

Old 06-05-2021, 01:08 PM

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
2012 E550 sedan 2019 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by ygmn
NOw that would be nice... or maybe turned off in the engineering menu thingy I have never used.... and afraid of using for making my car immobile

Are your trunk hinge covers broken? If so check the wiring around them, I did not realize mine were until I had a malfunction last year, and it was caused when a family member put a box blocking the right hinge cover which pulled on a wire.

I reseated that side, and everything started to work.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
No Hinge covers and everything seem to be ok but I will check tomorrow when I plan on running wire to my VR1 near rear view mirror.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 323 Likes on 248 Posts
2012 E550 v8-Biturbo
ygmn, I know this isn't helpful, but I find this a very interesting problem. It would be fascinating to know what was causing this issue. In the world of tech, this is an "unintended consequence" where a failure has a "cascade" effect on another system. You would think that you could disable the XM module somehow. Good luck
Old 06-11-2021, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The trial ended yesterday. We went to visit California this week and Live Traffic was pretty useful there, so if traffic jams will come back to Las Vegas, I will renew my subscription for Live Traffic.
I can check traffic on google maps before leaving WI FI spot, but lot of accidents might happen when I am on my way already.
On other end the MB Live Traffic gets annoying with "Change the route due to ...." messages popping up every minute and blocking the map view.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,163 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by kajtek1
The trial ended yesterday. We went to visit California this week and Live Traffic was pretty useful there, so if traffic jams will come back to Las Vegas, I will renew my subscription for Live Traffic.
I can check traffic on google maps before leaving WI FI spot, but lot of accidents might happen when I am on my way already.
On other end the MB Live Traffic gets annoying with "Change the route due to ...." messages popping up every minute and blocking the map view.
I'm not sure why you don't use Google maps. It's way more accurate than those other methods. You can download the maps in advance to your phone using wifi and google maps hardly uses any data for traffic.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,121 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
I'm not sure why you don't use Google maps. It's way more accurate than those other methods. You can download the maps in advance to your phone using wifi and google maps hardly uses any data for traffic.
If someone can figure out how to use the other functions in Comand (particularly Media) while using Google maps -- in Android Auto -- that would be ideal. I do not use my smartphone for music.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Downloaded maps will not give you Live Traffic when on your way, unless you allow net service via cellphone.
I have prepaid cell service and tried it once. 15 miles drive with active Live Traffic eat my 2 months data limit.
We all have different needs and resolutions.
When I pay $9 a month for my cellphone, my friend pays like 8 times for for unlimited use.
They don't even use their car radio, but stream the music from the internet via cellphone.

Last edited by kajtek1; 06-11-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,163 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Downloaded maps will not give you Live Traffic when on your way, unless you allow net service via cellphone.
I have prepaid cell service and tried it once. 15 miles drive with active Live Traffic eat my 2 months data limit.
We all have different needs and resolutions.
When I pay $9 a month for my cellphone, my friend pays like 8 times for for unlimited use.
They don't even use their car radio, but stream the music from the internet via cellphone.
I guess hardly is all relative. I've checked in the past and it's used about 50 megs a month of data for traffic info and I have the maps downloaded offline. Now I just checked again and it's more like 100 megs of data a month. I have a few gigs of data a month so 100 megs is hardly any but I guess if you're on a 50 meg plan then it's not going to last long at all.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess we can speculate how much more traffic info is needed in Las Vegas v/s where you are driving.
But I will check the usage again.
Point is that I can pay for Live Traffic only .with Sirus, or I can spend the money for more data on my cellphone and have multiple use of that, with account accumulating the service.
I hate brainwashing selling tactics, so Sirus is at bottom of my list.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
I think there is another Free Sirius/XM trial as my NAV locks up and HD not found error again.

Comes in on mine as I checked after NAV not working.... Man I hate these free trials.

worse yet I hate this crappy Command system as why is a siple radio/nav system so hard to make work?