E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Pano Sunroof nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2021 | 03:18 PM

E350 Bluetech
Pano Sunroof nightmare

2013 E-350 sedan bluetec New to me.. I tested the sunroof before I bought it 3 weeks ago. I haven’t driven it more than 100kms. Today I open it, and while it’s opening it makes a metal rubbing against metal noise, it starts off at a normal speed then slows down but opens all the way. When I close it.. it starts but maybe a few inches into closing it stops and reopens also making a screeching sound. I try closing it a few more times and eventually I get it to close with a tiny bit of pressure of help. it just sounds like it’s going to break and it moves really slow…

I have opened the light compartment to see if anything could be wrong not that I have a clue what I’d be looking for…

The motor is a bit warm to the touch.. compared to the privacy screen one next to it..

I was able to use a Allen key and I gave it a small turn, it creaked slightly and then I opened it again.. no problems. Then upon closing it wasn’t happy but closed 1/2 way… it screeched, stopped re-opened. I was able to
close it manually… I read there could be an alignment trick and/or a reset… but i can’t get it to work….

I would prefer not to go to MB or the dealership I bought it they where so unhelpful when I had a flat and a coolant leak tue same day I bought it. And I have a warrantee but it doesn’t cover the sunroof… but it does cover electrical.

Also the motor for the sunroof looks a lot newer than the sunscreen motor.

update. With the car running, it opens and closed fine but the noise is kinda nerve racking… any thoughts… it is well greased on both sides

Last edited by Irwinboi; 09-27-2021 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-25-2021 | 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Did you get a PPI on this car before you bought it? PPI= Pre Purchase Inspection.
it seems from your other post regarding the Diesel system oddities, there are things happening with this car that could have been discovered with a good PPI.
Old 09-25-2021 | 05:01 PM

E350 Bluetech
Originally Posted by KEY08
Did you get a PPI on this car before you bought it? PPI= Pre Purchase Inspection.
it seems from your other post regarding the Diesel system oddities, there are things happening with this car that could have been discovered with a good PPI.

I certainly did, but we call them AMVIC and the only thing that didn’t pass was the windshield because of a minor crack. I bought the car from a Dealership so it is required by them.

I’m guessing it was a BS report now and thinking it would also be a bit to late to go back and complain..

Old 09-26-2021 | 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
I would take it to dealership and have them inspected .
I don't know what else to recommend here
Old 09-27-2021 | 05:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1983 Nissan Shltbox
Post video.
Old 09-27-2021 | 07:24 AM

E350 Bluetech
Originally Posted by Senecat
Post video.

wont let me load the entire thing but here the sound at the very least
Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.mov (13.09 MB, 23 views)
Old 09-27-2021 | 08:31 AM

S212 E350 Estate
Since you are able to open it, look at the tracks and do a thorough cleaning and re-lubricate. ECS sells MB sunroof lube for $10.

I just did this on mine and the results were fantastic. I found all kinds of dirt and pine needles inside the track.
Old 09-27-2021 | 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1983 Nissan Shltbox
Upload video to youtube, post link. I don't like downloading viruses.
Old 09-28-2021 | 10:20 AM

W212 2011
Originally Posted by Irwinboi
2013 E-350 sedan bluetec New to me.. I tested the sunroof before I bought it 3 weeks ago. I haven’t driven it more than 100kms. Today I open it, and while it’s opening it makes a metal rubbing against metal noise, it starts off at a normal speed then slows down but opens all the way. When I close it.. it starts but maybe a few inches into closing it stops and reopens also making a screeching sound. I try closing it a few more times and eventually I get it to close with a tiny bit of pressure of help. it just sounds like it’s going to break and it moves really slow…

I have opened the light compartment to see if anything could be wrong not that I have a clue what I’d be looking for…

The motor is a bit warm to the touch.. compared to the privacy screen one next to it..

I was able to use a Allen key and I gave it a small turn, it creaked slightly and then I opened it again.. no problems. Then upon closing it wasn’t happy but closed 1/2 way… it screeched, stopped re-opened. I was able to
close it manually… I read there could be an alignment trick and/or a reset… but i can’t get it to work….

I would prefer not to go to MB or the dealership I bought it they where so unhelpful when I had a flat and a coolant leak tue same day I bought it. And I have a warrantee but it doesn’t cover the sunroof… but it does cover electrical.

Also the motor for the sunroof looks a lot newer than the sunscreen motor.

update. With the car running, it opens and closed fine but the noise is kinda nerve racking… any thoughts… it is well greased on both sides
Open the sunroof clean all the racks and lube them with light grease

Old 10-06-2021 | 09:44 AM

20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow

Originally Posted by Fliplegend
Since you are able to open it, look at the tracks and do a thorough cleaning and re-lubricate. ECS sells MB sunroof lube for $10.

I just did this on mine and the results were fantastic. I found all kinds of dirt and pine needles inside the track.
Is this what you used by chance?

Genuine Mercedes Benz - 0019894651 - Sunroof Lubricant - Half Ounce (ecstuning.com)

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 10-06-2021 | 09:49 AM

S212 E350 Estate
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy
Correct! I used a paint brush with fairly hard bristles to apply it. I also did the headliner track. I still have at least half of it left even after liberal application. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021 | 10:41 AM

20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow

Originally Posted by Fliplegend
Correct! I used a paint brush with fairly hard bristles to apply it. I also did the headliner track. I still have at least half of it left even after liberal application. Good luck!
Awesome! Thank you.

I've never ordered from them but wanted to make sure that's what you used before getting that little mystery container of lube ;-p

Will be ordering and doing the same! Glad you posted that, I would have never thought to do it honestly.

-Nigel
Old 10-06-2021 | 10:50 AM

S212 E350 Estate
ECS is a reputable company which I have ordered many parts from for both my german cars. If you get a chance, give us an update!
The following users liked this post:
Senecat (10-06-2021)