E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

FBS4 Key Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2022 | 06:11 AM

2013 E250 CGI (M271 EVO)
FBS4 Key Replacement

My car only came with 1 key when I bought it, so I've decided to order a new one.

Unfortunately, MY2013+ cars with FBS4 keys can only be ordered through the dealer since 3rd party key programming tools haven't been able to crack MB's encryption with FBS4.

Anyway, I went to my local stealer and they couldn't give me an exact price, the receptionist was being very vague and said it could cost anywhere from $550 to $1,100 for a new key, but the Service Advisor who I meet during my appointment will confirm the final amount.

My only concern is that they said I'll have to drop the car off for 3-4 hours with them so they can 'collect data' from the car and send that electronically with the order form to MB Germany who will ship the key to them. Apparently, this whole process takes 15-20 days.

I then asked another dealer that's further away about key replacement, and all they said was that I need to bring a valid ID, registration docs and they'll order the key and call me when it's ready. No need to leave the car with them.

After browsing various forums, there seem to be conflicting reports, so I'm not sure if the receptionist was misinformed.

Has anyone gotten a replacement key for their 2013+ W212? If so, how was your experience? Did they have to 'collect data' from the car before ordering the key? Did they key require programming after it was delivered to the dealer or do they come pre-programmed when ordered from Germany?

I'd appreciate if W212 or any other 2013-2016 MB owners could share their experiences with ordering new keys.

Thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by MeltdownSpectre:
ath20 (11-12-2022), biker349 (10-19-2022)
Old 10-17-2022 | 02:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
MBUSA process pull from bulletin what you may, see attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
80.57_62h.pdf (555.9 KB, 467 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by konigstiger:
biker349 (10-19-2022), MeltdownSpectre (10-18-2022), pierrejoliat (10-18-2022)
Old 10-17-2022 | 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by MeltdownSpectre
My car only came with 1 key when I bought it, so I've decided to order a new one.

Unfortunately, MY2013+ cars with FBS4 keys can only be ordered through the dealer since 3rd party key programming tools haven't been able to crack MB's encryption with FBS4.
This is correct, and by design and intent, to prevent illegal keys being produced.

Anyway, I went to my local stealer and they couldn't give me an exact price, the receptionist was being very vague and said it could cost anywhere from $550 to $1,100 for a new key, but the Service Advisor who I meet during my appointment will confirm the final amount.

My only concern is that they said I'll have to drop the car off for 3-4 hours with them so they can 'collect data' from the car and send that electronically with the order form to MB Germany who will ship the key to them. Apparently, this whole process takes 15-20 days.

I then asked another dealer that's further away about key replacement, and all they said was that I need to bring a valid ID, registration docs and they'll order the key and call me when it's ready. No need to leave the car with them.

After browsing various forums, there seem to be conflicting reports, so I'm not sure if the receptionist was misinformed.
You appear to be writing from Dubai, UAE. Was your car originally ordered and delivered to the first owner in another country? (More than one country?)

Note to buyers to be sure any car has its two OEM keys. That said, some used MBs pass to subsequent buyers with only one key. This means that there exists a second, legitimate key... somewhere, as ALL MBs are delivered from the factory with two keys.

The procedure noted by Konigstiger is intended to invalidate (deactivate) any keys not present with the car, and then order a second (replacement) key from Germany. Note the procedure given is for cars in the U.S. So your experience in Dubai almost certainly will not be the same, nor will the majority of members here be able to share meaningful experiences that will relate to your situation.

If your car proceeded along a circuitous route of ownership before landing in the UAE, you will have to let one of the dealers you've contacted follow their procedure (in your country) to order a replacement key for your VIN, as each dealer will have more (or less) experience in ordering keys... not a common process.

I'm not aware of any shortcut to this system, as Mercedes-Benz guards its key replacement process very closely. This is designed as a benefit to owners, making sure that you have the only legitimate key(s).

Last edited by DFWdude; 10-17-2022 at 03:09 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by DFWdude:
biker349 (10-17-2022), JCM_MB (10-17-2022), MeltdownSpectre (10-18-2022), pierrejoliat (10-18-2022)
Old 10-17-2022 | 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
….and these keys are not inexpensive as you have stated.
The following 3 users liked this post by KEY08:
biker349 (10-17-2022), MeltdownSpectre (10-18-2022), pierrejoliat (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022 | 12:39 AM

2013 E250 CGI (M271 EVO)
Originally Posted by konigstiger
MBUSA process pull from bulletin what you may, see attachment.
Thanks for this. Page 4 and 5 seem to clear everything up. Will see how it goes during my appointment on Friday morning.

Originally Posted by DFWdude
You appear to be writing from Dubai, UAE. Was your car originally ordered and delivered to the first owner in another country? (More than one country?)
I am the second owner (third, if you count the dealer).

Previous owner bought the car in 2014 directly from the dealer in Dubai, it has never been out of the country. In fact the dealer I've booked an appointment with is the same dealer the car was purchased from and serviced at by the previous owner.

Note to buyers to be sure any car has its two OEM keys. That said, some used MBs pass to subsequent buyers with only one key. This means that there exists a second, legitimate key... somewhere, as ALL MBs are delivered from the factory with two keys.

The procedure noted by Konigstiger is intended to invalidate (deactivate) any keys not present with the car, and then order a second (replacement) key from Germany. Note the procedure given is for cars in the U.S. So your experience in Dubai almost certainly will not be the same, nor will the majority of members here be able to share meaningful experiences that will relate to your situation.
Yes I'm sure it had 2 keys when new, but the previous owner sold the car to a used car dealer and only gave them 1 key, so they only passed on 1 key to me. I found the previous owners phone number from the dealer service records and tried reaching out, but he claims he misplaced the other key. Not sure how much truth there is to that, so I'm glad they deactivate any keys that aren't present because I'd hate to know that someone out there has a key that still works on my car.

I'm glad MB has security policies in place to ensure unauthorized keys can't be made, but the procedure to get a new key shouldn't take 3 weeks, especially when priced that high.

Oh well, if I already managed to get by for an entire year with 1 key, I suppose I can wait a few more weeks.
The following 4 users liked this post by MeltdownSpectre:
biker349 (10-19-2022), DFWdude (10-18-2022), KEY08 (10-18-2022), pierrejoliat (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022 | 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
I am the second owner (third, if you count the dealer).

Previous owner bought the car in 2014 directly from the dealer in Dubai, it has never been out of the country. In fact the dealer I've booked an appointment with is the same dealer the car was purchased from and serviced at by the previous owner.
I suppose my text implied that the car was not originally sold in Dubai. But we often read posts from smaller countries where the cars are indeed moved across borders. So my query was not meant to discredit anything, just looking for information.

Yes I'm sure it had 2 keys when new, but the previous owner sold the car to a used car dealer and only gave them 1 key, so they only passed on 1 key to me. I found the previous owners phone number from the dealer service records and tried reaching out, but he claims he misplaced the other key. Not sure how much truth there is to that, so I'm glad they deactivate any keys that aren't present because I'd hate to know that someone out there has a key that still works on my car.
These keys are so expensive and laborious to replace, that by now one might think that even used car dealers request that all keys are provided when they purchase a used car (any brand really). Either that, or they offer the owner a good deal less when they purchase the car.

The place where I got my car specializes in MBs purchased at off-lease auctions, held by Mercedes-Benz Financial. They told me they would most often not even bid on a lease-return car that did not include both keys. But I suppose if the bid is low enough to make financial sense, they would...

Oh well, if I already managed to get by for an entire year with 1 key, I suppose I can wait a few more weeks.
IMO, you have the right attitude on this. A year from now, you'll have a giggle at the process.

Last edited by DFWdude; 10-18-2022 at 07:56 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DFWdude:
biker349 (10-19-2022), MeltdownSpectre (10-18-2022), pierrejoliat (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022 | 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm glad MB has security policies in place to ensure unauthorized keys can't be made, but the procedure to get a new key shouldn't take 3 weeks, especially when priced that high.

Sister's lost one of her W211 keys (inside the house we guess ), and guess what, the remaining key started having issues a few months later. So, time to get the new key, and even a week seemed like an eternity since that was the only car available to her at the time.

I am right about reactivating an old VW Golf (overseas), and nobody in the family remembers where the keys are. Glad is an older type, and we can make the key from the barrel and program it using VCDS (Xentry equivalent for the VAG group). I am definitely deactivating the missing keys from the car's computer.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022 | 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
You should invest in some Apple Airtags for the keys at that price. I knew about the high price when I bought the cars so I haven't lost any keys yet. For Ford cars, there's a program called Forscan which can scan all Ford specific codes and also add and remove keys from the system. And it's all free. Only works on Ford and Mazda though.

As for the process in Dubai, who knows, but here's it's the same thing, you get various prices from different dealers. Basically the price difference seems to be whether the service advisor orders the key for you or the parts department. When the service guys order the keys, they charge for programming which normally just involves putting the key in the ignition and turning it. But I think in OP's case, they will also remove an old key from the system. If you just have a broken key, no need to pay to remove the old key as there's no service charge when just ordering the key from parts.
The following 2 users liked this post by cetialpha5:
biker349 (10-19-2022), pierrejoliat (10-19-2022)
Old 10-21-2022 | 02:58 AM

2013 E250 CGI (M271 EVO)
Originally Posted by juanmor40
Sister's lost one of her W211 keys (inside the house we guess ), and guess what, the remaining key started having issues a few months later. So, time to get the new key, and even a week seemed like an eternity since that was the only car available to her at the time.
W211 keys should be easier to program, the dealers should be able to do it on the spot (provided that they have blank keys in stock), and even 3rd party key programming tools can program and create new FBS3 keys.

JCM_MB (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022 | 03:01 AM

2013 E250 CGI (M271 EVO)
Update:

Took the car to the dealer this morning. Service Advisor said it'll take an hour to 'collect the codes' from the car. Technician took the car in, connected his laptop and just over an hour later it was all done.

They said it'll take 3-4 weeks for the new key because keys often get stopped by customs and it can sometimes take 2 weeks to get them cleared.

Total charge was a whopping 3,487 AED, which converts to 950 USD. Ridiculous, but that's the price to pay I guess.

P/N ordered was A 222 905 19 10.

I asked about disabling / removing the missing key and he said he'll get the technician to do it when I bring the car to receive the new key, apparently it only takes 5-10 minutes.
Old 10-21-2022 | 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
WOW! $950 is a new record, I think.
The following 2 users liked this post by DFWdude:
JCM_MB (10-21-2022), MeltdownSpectre (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022 | 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211 keys should be easier to program, the dealers should be able to do it on the spot (provided that they have blank keys in stock), and even 3rd party key programming tools can program and create new FBS3 keys.
Thank you for the 3rd party information. I will keep it in mind next time. Unfortunately, she got it at the stealership.
MeltdownSpectre (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022 | 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update:

Took the car to the dealer this morning. Service Advisor said it'll take an hour to 'collect the codes' from the car. Technician took the car in, connected his laptop and just over an hour later it was all done.

They said it'll take 3-4 weeks for the new key because keys often get stopped by customs and it can sometimes take 2 weeks to get them cleared.

Total charge was a whopping 3,487 AED, which converts to 950 USD. Ridiculous, but that's the price to pay I guess.

P/N ordered was A 222 905 19 10.

I asked about disabling / removing the missing key and he said he'll get the technician to do it when I bring the car to receive the new key, apparently it only takes 5-10 minutes.
Since I am working on the VW, I learned that for their IMMO3 system you can add a key to the system (which would be stupid if there is a key in the wild), or replace ALL the keys in the system. In my case, we are replacing ALL (all 3 keys lost ), i.e. the computer creates a new set of codes to differentiate from the lost keys. However, keep in mind the bladed key (within the FOB) still can open the car, or trunk. I guess the alarm will trigger if it cannot detect the valid code from the FOB?
MeltdownSpectre (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022 | 10:15 AM

S212 E350 Estate
This is why dealerships keep the 2nd key and only sell 1 with the car. Then tell you they can easily get you a replacement key.
KEY08 (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022 | 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fliplegend
This is why dealerships keep the 2nd key and only sell 1 with the car. Then tell you they can easily get you a replacement key.
So, the SA can borrow the car when you are out of town as well.
The following 3 users liked this post by JCM_MB:
Bahnstormer (10-21-2022), Fliplegend (10-21-2022), MeltdownSpectre (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022 | 12:00 PM

2013 E250 CGI (M271 EVO)
I can kind of understand if MB charged $950 for the newer style key, like the ones you get with W213s or newer W222s, but almost 1k for the same old key that's been around for years is just unreasonable, especially when you consider the dealer doesn't even have to program it.

You guys are fortunate to have so many dealers to choose from, so you can shop around and price match.
KEY08 (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022 | 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
I've never heard of this, or read anything about it on these forums. Obviously you're joking, right?
BenzV12 (10-22-2022)
Old 10-21-2022 | 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
With my 2010 E550 they only had one key at purchase. I told them they needed to order me a key as part of the purchase. They did and then said they lost the key, and would be ordering another one. That one came in and I picked it up. No programming required. Just stick it in and turn and you get an “ authorizing new key” pop up. They called a month later and had found the first key they had ordered behind some file cabinets. I picked that one up too and had 3 keys. 😁
The following 2 users liked this post by KEY08:
JCM_MB (10-21-2022), RavenCLS (11-29-2022)
Old 10-21-2022 | 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I've never heard of this, or read anything about it on these forums. Obviously you're joking, right?
Yeah, he's joking. I park my car in a garage that's valet parking only and they roll the windows down and leave the key in the car. As far as I know, they haven't had any cars stolen. It needs a key card to get out of the garage which I keep with me so at least if anyone ever steals it, they'll either have to drive through the gate or pay to get it out.
Old 10-23-2022 | 10:24 AM

W212 E400
MB of Manhattan quoted me $1000 earlier this year for a new key as well for '15 E400.
MeltdownSpectre (10-24-2022)
Old 10-23-2022 | 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by YasS
MB of Manhattan quoted me $1000 earlier this year for a new key as well for '15 E400.
,,, that's crazy

$1000 for a a key to a 2015 car worth maybe $23,000. 5%+ of the value of the car, just for a lousy key is insane.
The following 2 users liked this post by DFWdude:
KEY08 (10-23-2022), MeltdownSpectre (10-24-2022)
Old 10-23-2022 | 11:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
FWIW MB Manhattan (MBUSA’s only corporate owned dealership) and MB Brooklyn IMHO are the worst.
The following 2 users liked this post by konigstiger:
KEY08 (10-23-2022), MeltdownSpectre (10-24-2022)
Old 10-23-2022 | 01:09 PM

W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
Just to settle the conversation on DAS4 keys. If your vehicle has an existing key, you can take your vehicle to any dealership and have them add a key with no issues at all. If your vehicles has no keys (all keys lost situation), then the vehicle has to taken to the dealer. Once at the dealer, the vehicle is connected to the Mercedes server and the data uploaded. Within 24 hours a new key has to be ordered and it will arrive pre-programmed. As an independent shop, I am able to order either additional keys or all lost keys situation but that is because we have the Xentry Kit 4 set up and we also have all the needed licensing through NASTF. So if you can find an independent shop with the right tools and licensing, in your area, you should be able to order keys. Other wise dealership only. Pricing on the other hand can go up to $1500 depending on dealership pricing.
The following 2 users liked this post by MBENZTECH:
Danny7389 (11-29-2022), MeltdownSpectre (10-24-2022)
Old 10-23-2022 | 01:25 PM

2014 E350 Cabriolet, 2005 Honda S2000, 2021 Honda CR-V Hybrid (Hers)
I guess I got a bargain at $625
Old 10-23-2022 | 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I had my keyless go key done 3-4 years ago for $560 including checking the computer for lost keys and adjusting tire pressure.
But took me visit to California, where MB of Fairfield always gave me good pricing, while 2 MB dealers in Las Vegas Valley gouge customers with no mercy.
Prices on keys jump out of control.
I remember my 1st digital knob cost $120 about 15 years ago and I could order it over the internet/fax.
Than about 10 years ago I paid $162 for knob, where blade key was listed at $16.
Last month I had new blade ordered for my W212 and Vegas dealer shaved me from $180 !!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FBS4 Key Replacement