E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

RoadTop CarPlay audio stops after adjusting driver's seatback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E-350 Sport
RoadTop CarPlay audio stops after adjusting driver's seatback

I just installed a RoadTop CarPlay unit in my 2013 E-350. What a huge upgrade!

I remembered reading someone's post either here or on some other internet site that if they adjusted the drivers seat back, the CarPlay auto stops. So of course I had to try it. And yes, it makes the CarPlay audio go silent. Very sad!

I have tried multiple things to get it to work again:

- restart the car after it was off for over an hour (made sure to exit the car, lock it and go in the house so my key is not detected etc..
- reset CarPlay from the Setup menu
- changing the factory radio to different audio inputs - if I select AM/FM or other than AUX, I get audio from the factory radio but switching back to AUX I do not get CarPlay audio.

I'm really not looking forward to pulling the glovebox out so I can pull the CAN/power connector and power-cycle the unit, or to disconnect the car battery (which is arguably easier)

I am able to navigate the displays and that all seems to work. So the unit is not hung, just the audio is dead. I suspect their firmware didn't like some CAN message that the seat controls send.

Has anyone had this issue and found a solution? I have sent email to RoadTop directly and via Amazon. Waiting for a reply.

Regarding install - it was pretty smooth. I'm impressed with the build quality of the unit and the harnesses. I even found a nice niche for the unit itself just to the left of the glove box.

RoadTop unit tucked to the left of the glove box, fits perfectly with air space to breathe.

Old 10-23-2022, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,336 Likes on 2,220 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
seat motion screws up head unit --- > poor MB GND.

The main trouble with 3rd party after market products is often lack of after sales support.

We migh be able to help you out but believe me I know nothing at all about your product or it interface points to W212 harness.

Are you ready to roll up your sleeves for some troubleshooting: scanner, DVM, scope, schematiics??

see pics below

The one thing I can tell you is to have a look at fixing your seat control modules solderless THEN CLEAN FOOTWELL GND 90% chance shared by the head unit.

front footwell L+ R painted GND nuts with oxidized posts.... a long topic!!!

these GND work hard .... need protection

rework & clean solder side

seat module component side suffer cold joints

sub-standard cold solder joints
Old 10-23-2022, 04:10 PM

2013 E-350 Sport
Thanks CaliBenz.

Are those grounds under the seat or under the carpeting? I assume the black module module contains the seat control unit?

Do you have a link to the other threads that discuss the issues?
Old 10-23-2022, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,336 Likes on 2,220 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
repair steps ...

Originally Posted by WJohnG
Thanks CaliBenz.

Are those grounds under the seat or under the carpeting? I assume the black module module contains the seat control unit?

Do you have a link to the other threads that discuss the issues?
> Concentrate in that order on the followings:

1-- Front footwells GND: L+R side under carpet.

2-- Then test couple days then flakey solder inspection of seat module L(+R) under seats.

3-- Central beam under seat has amazing GND as well under carpet.

Sorry I can't find the link to my original solderless fixing thread. Query "solderless"with my UserID and read the earliest matches - Post it here for others if possible.

Old 10-23-2022, 09:44 PM

2013 E-350 Sport
Well, I solved the audio issue. The RoadTop box has two dangling ground wires, one on the main head harness and one on the pigtail for the extra connections (front/rear aftermarket cameras, USB, AUX in etc). I didn’t use anything on that pigtail except for routing the USB to the glove box for firmware updates. They recommend you tie those two grounds together if you are getting [alternator] noise in the audio, which I wasn’t so I left them capped off.

I tied those together and voila! Audio is working again!! And continues to work even when adjusting the seat back.

BUT - adjusting the seat back does seem to do some kind of soft-reset to the RoadTop unit. It briefly drops audio for a second or two then resumes. So I think the good advice from CaliMercDriver is something I will do very do very soon to avoid potential damage. Interesting that only the seat back causes the issue - I can move the seat forward and backward, I can even use the preset buttons to restore seat position, including moving the seat back, and no issues.

Last edited by WJohnG; 10-24-2022 at 11:51 AM.