E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Fog lights on 2010 E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450
Fog lights on 2010 E350

I have tried the search feature with no luck.

I'm new to MB ownership. Been playing with all the little buttons and knobs. One thing that has me stumped right now are the fog lights. I have the 2 "hockey puck" fog lights. Is there a way to get all 4 to light up? Wondering if there is something wrong, or if I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
you can't have all four, two drl and two fog, to light up at the same time.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 838 Likes on 607 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Jerzeyjoe
I have tried the search feature with no luck.

I'm new to MB ownership. Been playing with all the little buttons and knobs. One thing that has me stumped right now are the fog lights. I have the 2 "hockey puck" fog lights. Is there a way to get all 4 to light up? Wondering if there is something wrong, or if I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks.

What do you mean by "all four"?

If you have the hockey stick DRLs in the front there is no other lights with them. And these hockey stick lights are NOT fog lights. They are Daytime Runnig Lights that actually turn OFF when you turn on the rear fog light.

Daytime these lights are bright, when your main head lights come ON the hockey sticks go half power and when you turn the fog light in the rear ON the hockey stick go all OFF. This is because the DRL is made to shine in all directions to improve your car visibility to others but in foggy conditions a light beaming up would make the visibility for the driver worse. For this reason the hockey stick lights go OFF when fog light is turned ON.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Originally Posted by Arrie

If you have the hockey stick DRLs in the front there is no other lights with them. And these hockey stick lights are NOT fog lights. They are Daytime Runnig Lights that actually turn OFF when you turn on the rear fog light.

Daytime these lights are bright, when your main head lights come ON the hockey sticks go half power and when you turn the fog light in the rear ON the hockey stick go all OFF. This is because the DRL is made to shine in all directions to improve your car visibility to others but in foggy conditions a light beaming up would make the visibility for the driver worse. For this reason the hockey stick lights go OFF when fog light is turned ON.
i think he meant the four round quad lights and described them as "hockey pucks", not "hockey sticks" .
Old 05-09-2013, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG

Ok, so let me get this straight. I have the same fog light questions and been going through a few searches for answers. I have a 2011 E350 P2.

1. During the day, if I have DRL set to "on", the hockey stick LED's are on.
2. At night, the hockey sticks LED go half power when the headlights turn on. When my headlights are on, I have all four lights at the top "on" and the hockey stick LEDs at half power at the bottom.
3. If I turn the fog light switch to "on", the hockey stick LEDs go OFF, the rear fog light turns ON, and the headlights still have all 4 lights ON.

So in effect, the fog light switch turns the hockey stick LED's OFF and turns the driver side rear fog light ON. So there are NO FRONT FOG LIGHTS!@?

If above is true, that's nice and counterintuitive. But it certainly explains why I'm racking my brain thinking something is broken when it's not.

EDIT: I just answered my own question... I DO NOT have front fog lamps. As the manual says the front fog lamps would have a GREEN lamp on the instrument panel. The YELLOW lamp indicates rear fog lamps.... So I only have YELLOW lamps light up in the instrument panel....And this begs the question, for step #3 above, why do they bother turning OFF the "hockey stick" LEDs when the rear fogs are turned ON?

Last edited by Mabuhay; 05-10-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
Originally Posted by Mabuhay
....And this begs the question, for step #3 above, why do they bother turning OFF the "hockey stick" LEDs when the rear fogs are turned ON?
Because the the hocky stick DRL lights would illuminate the fog in front of you, making it worse --- blinding you.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:28 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Live Oak
Because the the hocky stick DRL lights would illuminate the fog in front of you, making it worse --- blinding you.
No, that cannot be the reason. These DRL's are only at "half power" per #2. I don't even think it's "half power", but the brightness of it at this partial level is very much a non-factor. It doesn't illuminate much of anything and it just for looks at "half power". The four headlights are ON if the rear fog light is ON. And if those Xenons don't illuminate the fog, I don't know what will!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:34 PM

E550
No, that cannot be the reason. These DRL's are only at "half power" per #2. I don't even think it's "half power", but the brightness of it at this partial level is very much a non-factor. It doesn't illuminate much of anything and it just for looks at "half power". The four headlights are ON if the rear fog light is ON. And if those Xenons don't illuminate the fog, I don't know what will!
Have it your way.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:01 AM

GL450
Thanks for the replies. Figured out the 4 light set up now.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Even with half power the DRLs make it worse in dense fog and they are switched off for that reason when you hit that fog light button.

Another thing that also happens is that your head lights automatically go to low beam and also to the shortest distance if your automatic adaptive is on.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:15 PM

C63 AMG
Even with half power the DRLs make it worse in dense fog and they are switched off for that reason when you hit that fog light button.

Another thing that also happens is that your head lights automatically go to low beam and also to the shortest distance if your automatic adaptive is on.
Ummm, no. The partial DRLs don't illuminate anything...ask me how I know. I've actually gone outside AT NIGHT to test these things out.

Also, the headlights don't change intensity either. I understand how people are trying to come up with reasons to justify how things work, but at some point one has to realize that the "emperor has no clothes"...
Old 05-12-2013, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Yep, I believe it is just a power issue. The system will turn-off things to balance the power. apparently the front DRLs and the rear fogs when on together exceed the power rating of the system.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:36 PM

E550
If you had paid attention to the pattern of the lights, you would have seen that the headlights have a very sharp vertical cutoff, and the DRLs have very little vertical cutoff.

The very idea of light control in fog is to keep the necessary lights low, to avoid further illuminating fog, thus blinding the driver's forward visibility. THAT is why the DRLs are shut down when the "fog" lights are on, and why high beams are disabled.

But, you have your theories . . .
Old 05-12-2013, 07:03 PM

C63 AMG
If you had paid attention to the pattern of the lights, you would have seen that the headlights have a very sharp vertical cutoff, and the DRLs have very little vertical cutoff.

The very idea of light control in fog is to keep the necessary lights low, to avoid further illuminating fog, thus blinding the driver's forward visibility. THAT is why the DRLs are shut down when the "fog" lights are on, and why high beams are disabled.

But, you have your theories . . .
It's NOT a theory when I actually go outside at night to test it out. Do I need to take a video to show you that the four headlights don't move as you claim it does when the DRL's are toggled on/off?

Maybe you should go and test your own theory out? Is what you're saying officially documented anywhere? It seems that you are pulling your statements out of your... hat. Seriously, had I not gone out at night and tested things myself, your theories may have been believable. But it's not believable to me when I test it out in reality. So not trying to be a jerk, but you can have your theories and I can have my reality. I could maybe even give you the benefit of the doubt by saying my headlights are broken. But I think not.

p.s. - I know about the sharp vertical cutoffs as all three of my existing Porsches and Audi have the same cutoffs.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:42 PM

E550
Do I need to take a video to show you that the four headlights don't move as you claim it does when the DRL's are toggled on/off?
READ!! Nobody ever said they move.

So not trying to be a jerk,
Oh, but you are being so successful at that.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:56 AM

C63 AMG
READ!! Nobody ever said they move..

You're right and I apologize... I misread your post.

What I should have written was for you to read the post where I stated that the partial lighting of the DRL's is a non-factor in illuminating anything. I.e. - even if you turn it off, it doesn't do anything. Also, since the four XENON headlights remain ON that they would illuminate everything in their path - including fog.

I think I may have taken offense to you stating that "I have my theories" when, in fact, I'm the one testing things practically. It is you who have theories and haven't pointed to any documentation supporting any of your statements. It's a pet peeve of mine when people post their theories as if they were fact - misleading others in forums. In another forum, someone claimed that our C63 AMG had an adjustable suspension that changed dampening via the drive program selector (C, S S+, M, or Race Start mode) and was pretty adamant about it until he finally practically walked out to the car to go on his hands and knees to see that the suspension is not electronically adjustable.

So I guess I leave it that "we can agree to disagree".
Old 05-13-2013, 10:52 AM

2010 E350 4Matic Sport
Live Oak is right on this one. Fog lights are kept low to lighten the road under the fog and the regular low/high beams (especially high) make driving visibility terrible. Try turning your high beams on in thick fog and you will see what I mean. I know cars in Europe can turn off the headlights entirely and just have the fog lights on. For some reason this is disabled on most cars here.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You're right and I apologize... I misread your post.

What I should have written was for you to read the post where I stated that the partial lighting of the DRL's is a non-factor in illuminating anything. I.e. - even if you turn it off, it doesn't do anything. Also, since the four XENON headlights remain ON that they would illuminate everything in their path - including fog.

I think I may have taken offense to you stating that "I have my theories" when, in fact, I'm the one testing things practically. It is you who have theories and haven't pointed to any documentation supporting any of your statements. It's a pet peeve of mine when people post their theories as if they were fact - misleading others in forums. In another forum, someone claimed that our C63 AMG had an adjustable suspension that changed dampening via the drive program selector (C, S S+, M, or Race Start mode) and was pretty adamant about it until he finally practically walked out to the car to go on his hands and knees to see that the suspension is not electronically adjustable.

So I guess I leave it that "we can agree to disagree".

Mabuhay,

Reading the posts it seems YOU have the theories and no support to them.

Go find a place where the visibility is only 30 feet or less due to dense fog. I guarantee you will see difference between the DRLs ON or OFF.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:44 PM

E550
Mabuhay, Reading the posts it seems YOU have the theories and no support to them. Go find a place where the visibility is only 30 feet or less due to dense fog. I guarantee you will see difference between the DRLs ON or OFF.
+1
Old 05-14-2013, 12:17 AM

C63 AMG
Mabuhay,

Reading the posts it seems YOU have the theories and no support to them.

Go find a place where the visibility is only 30 feet or less due to dense fog. I guarantee you will see difference between the DRLs ON or OFF.

Arrie, 2.5 years ago, you actually started a thread that seems to support what I wrote. So I'm confused to your post above. Here it is:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...osed-work.html

Also, last Thursday at 4:30 am EST on the way to the airport, there was dense fog in the Boston area. Of course, I played around with the (rear) fog light switch... No difference. If the US E-Class headlights actually moved liked the video of the Euro model you drove, then I would believe it. As you say in your own thread, it appears the fog light feature may not have been enabled in the US.

Live Oak, not much fog in New Mexico I bet. Again, it's a free country and we can disagree....
Old 05-14-2013, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrie, 2.5 years ago, you actually started a thread that seems to support what I wrote. So I'm confused to your post above. Here it is:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...osed-work.html

Also, last Thursday at 4:30 am EST on the way to the airport, there was dense fog in the Boston area. Of course, I played around with the (rear) fog light switch... No difference. If the US E-Class headlights actually moved liked the video of the Euro model you drove, then I would believe it. As you say in your own thread, it appears the fog light feature may not have been enabled in the US.

Live Oak, not much fog in New Mexico I bet. Again, it's a free country and we can disagree....

In my post that you refer to is no one word to support your opinions about the DRLs and fog.

If you read it and understand the english language I used I wrote the post when I had owned the car for two weeks. Since then I have learned a lot and especially not from my very ignorant and glueless dealer at the time. They had no fu###ng idea how the lights work.

In Europe the fog lights function actually widens the light beams to sides but this is not the case in U.S. What does work is that the P2 Bi-Xenon lights will automatically go to low beam and to the shortest distance in 2011 models and later. And the DRLs go OFF to keep them from impairing the visibility in very dense fog.

You say you tested the lights in fog. Was it really a fog where you could see only 30 ft or even less. I'm talking about a fog that does not normally exist other than if you drive in the mountains when you are practically driving in clouds. Boston is in sea level.

People designing these cars make them for people living in mountains too as the Alps are just around the corner from Stuttgart. The people need to be able to drive these cars down or up the mountain roads in dark in extremely dense fog.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:05 AM

C63 AMG
In my post that you refer to is no one word to support your opinions about the DRLs and fog.

If you read it and understand the english language I used I wrote the post when I had owned the car for two weeks. Since then I have learned a lot and especially not from my very ignorant and glueless dealer at the time. They had no fu###ng idea how the lights work.

In Europe the fog lights function actually widens the light beams to sides but this is not the case in U.S. What does work is that the P2 Bi-Xenon lights will automatically go to low beam and to the shortest distance in 2011 models and later. And the DRLs go OFF to keep them from impairing the visibility in very dense fog.

You say you tested the lights in fog. Was it really a fog where you could see only 30 ft or even less. I'm talking about a fog that does not normally exist other than if you drive in the mountains when you are practically driving in clouds. Boston is in sea level.

People designing these cars make them for people living in mountains too as the Alps are just around the corner from Stuttgart. The people need to be able to drive these cars down or up the mountain roads in dark in extremely dense fog.
Are you kidding me? Yes, I did read it in the "English" language. It's not in incomprehensible German with accents. If you can't even read YOUR OWN posts, here, I'll quote it for you.

I'm a 2-week '11 E350 sports package owner with P2 package and have a question about the front lights of the car.

I asked the dealer service today and got somewhat confusing answers.

I was first told that the "hockey stick" lights are fog lights, which is not true as also was corrected for me by another person at the dealer. They are DRL as I already knew.

What is confusing to me is that car operation manual says that these DRLs turn off when actual driving lights come on either automatically (gets dark outside) or are manually switched on but in my car these DRLs stay on at all times with actual driving lights. The only way to turn DRLs off is to disable them at the control display or another impractical way that I explain below in this post. Is this normal DRL operation amongst E350 2011 models?

Another thing is with fog lights. I thought my car does not have front fog lights but dealer sales manages told me that the Bi-xenon light package includes fog lights that are built in with the automatic HI-beam function. He said that when fog light switch is pressesd, which illuminates left rear fog light with amber symbol in the analog clock, it also switches front lights to do fog lighting. He said that front lights will reduce lighting distance and widen to both sides. I tried to see in dark how it would work but could not see any difference in front lights at all when pressing the rear fog light switch other than it turns the DRLs off.

Then it is kind of funny how the DRLs first come on very bright for a flash when rear fog light switch is pressed to turn rear fog light off again but immediately take much dimmer light position.

Then there are those round lights next to the driving lights. Mine stay on always if driving lights are on. Is this correct?

Does anyone else have lights acting like mine? Do I have some sort of a problem with my lights? Shouldn't DRL's turn off when actual driving lights come on like the manual says?

Thanks for your help,

Arrie
You had the same exact experiences as I am having now. One would think that you'd be helpful. If you feel differently about your old posts, maybe at least you should have posted some finality to it so that when newbies such as myself are searching for answers, can then leverage more senior members such as yourself on the forum. Instead, I get jackass "in the English language" remarks and "theories" that are not documented anywhere. I.e. - it's a theory when it's not substantiated by fact. You yourself posted that you practically and factually tried to see the difference. And you got the same result as I did. So how can you say I'm the one posting "theories" when I'm trying to do things practically like you did? And yes, the dealerships here are also clueless.

I've worked in Spain, Switzerland, Germany and Austria and am very well versed in the fog that you mention. While it's "more interesting" to drive in it in the mountains, the fog here in Boston is fog nonetheless. Do you think the car will say "Oh, it's just Boston fog, I won't function."? I think not.

And lastly, I'm also within 2 weeks of ownership. Actually, this is my wife's commuter car and we were trying to figure things out. We're not new to Mercedes or German cars. My C63 doesn't work this way. None of our Porsches work this way and neither does the Audi. With our previous BMWs, it is possible to only turn the fog lights on without headlights. So yes, we're trying to figure this out.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
OK. Enough is enough. Mabuhay, for whatever reason, you seem to be disappointed in your vehicle. A quick call to the MB regional office will clear this issue up for you with facts. Once a thread becomes primarily two folks arguing, the value of the post is diminished for all. Please be good members and just agree to disagree. Thank you.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you kidding me? Yes, I did read it in the "English" language. It's not in incomprehensible German with accents. If you can't even read YOUR OWN posts, here, I'll quote it for you.

You had the same exact experiences as I am having now. One would think that you'd be helpful. If you feel differently about your old posts, maybe at least you should have posted some finality to it so that when newbies such as myself are searching for answers, can then leverage more senior members such as yourself on the forum. Instead, I get jackass "in the English language" remarks and "theories" that are not documented anywhere. I.e. - it's a theory when it's not substantiated by fact. You yourself posted that you practically and factually tried to see the difference. And you got the same result as I did. So how can you say I'm the one posting "theories" when I'm trying to do things practically like you did? And yes, the dealerships here are also clueless.

I've worked in Spain, Switzerland, Germany and Austria and am very well versed in the fog that you mention. While it's "more interesting" to drive in it in the mountains, the fog here in Boston is fog nonetheless. Do you think the car will say "Oh, it's just Boston fog, I won't function."? I think not.

And lastly, I'm also within 2 weeks of ownership. Actually, this is my wife's commuter car and we were trying to figure things out. We're not new to Mercedes or German cars. My C63 doesn't work this way. None of our Porsches work this way and neither does the Audi. With our previous BMWs, it is possible to only turn the fog lights on without headlights. So yes, we're trying to figure this out.

Yes Mabuhay,

I now know you are just so full of s**t. You still don't know how to read english.

You have made the text in my post red where I say I did not see the difference in dark. IT DOES NOT SAY IN DARK AND IN DENSE FOG. DOES IT!!!!

You are one of the a** ho**s this forum does not need to have. You can take all of your fancy cars to somewhere else.

And I 100% agree with ImInPa that enough is enough.

I'm done with this thread. Have a good life you j***!
Old 05-15-2013, 06:12 PM

E550
+1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fog lights on 2010 E350