E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Feel like "eliminating" my panoroof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2022 | 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Feel like "eliminating" my panoroof

I am thinking to get rid of the black-ness of the pano roof for reduction of the intense heat from the sun.
Now at the moment pano see-thru glass are all using 3M cyrstalline 40, which means 60% light being block.
The only other 40 is the rear doors side window.
Front doors side window is 70, so only 30% light being block, if too dark is dangerous for nite driving with tight corners because street lightning in some areas are NIL or
very dark and many azz-holes on bikes ride around with blown headlight bulb aka no light at all.
Rear windshield is 70 only.
Front Windshield I do not like any kind of tint, it is clean pure glass there.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/car-pers...int-simulator/

I spoken to car wrapping shop and they said wraps won't hold well if the pano glass is design as such, they can't wrap the edges of the glass.
The pano glass perimeter has those rubber/fleece seal all around it, that is why the wrapper boys said not reccomended for long term adhesion/reliability of a wrap.
I have zero clue on wrap thingy.

So it seems white sticker is the only choice , if I want to proceed.
While people fake a pano roof, me wanna make it GONE .... LOL

Very motivated : Fake PanoRoof Indeed

Wrapping a sunroof car to be a complete black roof, well half way a fake pano roof.

I want to do what this Tesla model Y owner did. This is wrapping. The Tesla Y glass roof is simpler.
This Tesla is all glass roof, not openable but very hot too with sunlight,

One Oz Tesla owner asked a wrapper shop and also being declined.
" they say NO to wrap on glass."
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/5294135/

Experiencing full sunlight from 8AM to evening between Jakarta to Bali even car is moving at decent speed while on highway, I can feel the heat radiation
on top of my head. My neck and chest is decent from HVAC blowing but my ear and hair up.... HOT !!

IN BALI
This is just a sampling of angled sun ray at 02:55 PM which should not be so hot technically.
Car is using silver reflective cover already

My cheapo Toyota, with stupid BLACK painted roof standard by Toyota ..DUGGGHHH
The car is like this :

That black roof temperature is below. A sweet mild 156F only

What was the ambiet temp of the day ?, only 30C and not yet 34-35C

Night time, raining.

The car cover up close

How hot a black car physical temperature can be in typical strong sunlight for Indonesia, be it Jakarta or Bali at sea level. It can hit 80C or 176F.
I recalled once a long time ago, I have a small black hatch back, zero tint. It has an aftermarket RPM gauge made of plastic and the RPM gauge melted its top part one day when I went fishing
and left the car on the beach zero shaded... LOL.

The Tesla guy who "deleted" his glass roof is from Arizona, damn the sunlight power potential there is not a joke
Man, I sure knows how he feels.

But the ambient temperature in Arizona average year round is not too brutal hot.

Jakarta is very hot from the urban heat island effect, just like Singapore.
Bali is not too bad, but has more heat from sunlight and the sky is nice blue there because less polution..

https://weatherspark.com/y/116847/Av...es-Temperature

Anyone has experience with sticker on a car long term or glass windown of a buidling ?

Thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by S-Prihadi:
CaliBenzDriver (11-22-2022), pierrejoliat (11-22-2022)
Old 11-22-2022 | 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Aren't exaggerating the issue?
I drive in 120F lot of days of the summer and pano roof heat is problem I never had.
But my AC works perfect.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (11-22-2022)
Old 11-22-2022 | 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kajtek1
Aren't exaggerating the issue?
I drive in 120F lot of days of the summer and pano roof heat is problem I never had.
But my AC works perfect.
Well did you start at 8AM to late evening where all day the car was under strong sunshine never shaded, the 11AM to 2PM is the worst for me.
Not that I am sweating or anything, its like the top of my head is in a different thermal zone.

My aircond works well but the W212 can't be as all zone equally cool than say my Toyota Corolla Cross ( no pano ) under the same scenario.... this is the part I hate because
I have a comparisson.

Japs cars in Indonesia, their HVAC is very good, they have tropicalized it well and I think they also have the heater core switch/valve, unlike my M276 without one.
Old 11-22-2022 | 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12 E350 4Matic 13 E350 4Matic AMG Sport
Maybe you could just tint the glass more? That would help, I am in the snow belt and any sunshine is good sunshine as we only see it 1/3 of the days, Lake Erie keeps us cloudy most of the time. I believe I have only closed the sunshade for the pano once while driving in eight years, but I do close it when parking in the sun, but's thats also the rare occasion. I hope to be moving to Texas or Arizona in the next year and taking this car with me, so I'll be interested in your solutions, I know DFW uses a windshield shade, my daughter in AZ as well when parking.

Last edited by pierrejoliat; 11-22-2022 at 11:03 AM.
JCM_MB (11-23-2022)
Old 11-22-2022 | 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Just paint the pano roof white to match the rest of the car. (I got the impression your car is white).

In these ultra hot climates, I can't see why anyone would order any car with a full glass roof, or purchase a pre-owned one so equipped.

Last edited by DFWdude; 11-22-2022 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-22-2022 | 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pierre,

Tinting will help but not as good if the resistance or reflective layer ( tint or sticker) is above or outside the glass as being the 1st barrier.
The tinting film is always inside the car, so the glass itself is already hot being absorbing the sun light power.

I can imagine how a snow belt guy would love the sun, me want to avoid the sun at all times if possible , I got too much of it already.
Our humidity being always 80% or higher is another killer, so sun light is another ray of misery.

When I dive on my friend boat ( white fiberglass boat ) with teak deak at cockpit, in strong sunlight I have to keep spraying water on the teak deck or else I can't walk on it barefooted. Too painful.
The beauty is, none of the white fiberglas structure of the boat get uncomfy hot...ever. The shiny anodized aluminum railing on American sportfisher do get hot,
even highly polished stainless steel railings on European yachts get hot.... I wonder why.

I think our foot sole can tolerate easy up to 50C before getting the pain, unlike our sensitive cheek. Imagine how color alone is so effective in reducing the heat from sun ray.
This is the reason I choose a white E400 and that cheapo Toyota in Bali is also white, but I did not know it gets black roof... dang.

Even our rubber boat , it is always a light grey color like the sample below, holy cow it get so hot unless we wet them with sea water and the glued rub rail ( example in green below ) will peel off under 3 years of use,
of about 30 weekends a year and it is kept shaded when not in use.

I was thinking sticker is removeable, quite easy with steam like how people removed old tint film.
So if I don't like it, I can always throw the sticker away.
Sort of an experiment.....
Old 11-22-2022 | 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes Surya we also have the humidity but not the temps, my last boat, SeaRay Sundancer also had a teak deck that you could not walk on, same with my dark brown deck on my house. I read a blog where they tested black cars vs. white cars in Arizona, the black car was 25-30F degrees hotter. I wonder if directing one of your center vents upward at the glass would make a difference? I just love the pano in my '12, Imiss it when we drive the '13 but that has the black interior, I always pull the shade closed when parking that in the summer, but that's really only 1-2 months of the year, the rest of the time it's nice to have the sun warm the interior, like today it's 22 degrees! We get 70-90 inches of snow a year here, but we also have some August days around 90 with over 80% humidity, so truly four seasons.

S-Prihadi (11-23-2022)
Old 11-22-2022 | 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by S-Prihadi
Pierre,

I can imagine how a snow belt guy would love the sun, .
No kidding. This is my GLE a week ago at our cabin.
Yes, it does have pano roof, but no worry

The following 3 users liked this post by kajtek1:
JCM_MB (11-23-2022), pierrejoliat (11-22-2022), S-Prihadi (11-23-2022)
Old 11-22-2022 | 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I feel your pain!
Old 11-22-2022 | 08:31 PM
Veteran: Navy

2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
They probably wont wrap becauae the heat with the glass will probably cause the wrap to unwrap or not last long. Would bet the chance to make money is superceded by the multiple rewraps that would be required for any type of warranty offered or bad publicity/reviews.

im guessing a body shop could swap a doner top on and fepaint but pricey!!!!
Old 11-23-2022 | 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
I've seen plenty of plumbers vans with full wraps on the windows

but, the pano top window, probably best bet is paint. or replace the inside cloth with something more like a blackout curtain
pierrejoliat (11-23-2022)
Old 11-23-2022 | 04:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DFWdude
Just paint the pano roof white to match the rest of the car. (I got the impression your car is white).

In these ultra hot climates, I can't see why anyone would order any car with a full glass roof, or purchase a pre-owned one so equipped.
It is white.
E400 all are pano version for my country CKD ( locally assembled ), cant have it any other way.
Painting its quite hard to un-do, so my thingking for now is sticker if not wrapping.
Old 11-23-2022 | 04:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Quint22
They probably wont wrap becauae the heat with the glass will probably cause the wrap to unwrap or not last long. Would bet the chance to make money is superceded by the multiple rewraps that would be required for any type of warranty offered or bad publicity/reviews.

im guessing a body shop could swap a doner top on and fepaint but pricey!!!!
My car is 100% garaged sunproof if in Jakarta city and since I dont go out much at all, its exposure to the sun is low.
Only when I do jakarta-Bali-jakarta trip and while in Bali, it will get maximum sunlight as my Bali Villa parking space has stupid clear glass as shade/awning...LOL.
I do use car cover if in Bali for sun and insect protection.
In Jakarta car cover is for ambient dust protection only.

So maybe 60 days a year the car will suffer sun ray, at the most if I do visit Bali.

Old 11-23-2022 | 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
What about the paint they use to write the used car prices on windshields? May not last forever but you can change colors.
OR insulate glass from inside with Dynamat. and never open again.

Or get a roof rack and male something that attaches to it and covers pano roof. Like sheet of plywood or kayak?

Or tip open pano at rear and crack side windows when parked to ventilate.
pierrejoliat (11-24-2022)
Old 11-23-2022 | 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is interesting test done by someone who loves thermocouple as much as I do
Thank you MCMC

So that higest temperature at 150-165F light blue is the tint film itself. Wow.
I checked with other videos of tint shop discussing tinting 101, they said the same thing, the tint film will get hot, that's the way it works.

Imagine the tint film like an ultra thin cooling fin or radiator fin, no wonder I can sense it on my hair.

WHILE AT PEAK TEMPERATURE
Ambient Temp at 35 to 38C / 95 to 100F
Tint Film itself at 73C / 165F
Top of the tinted glass facing the sun is at 57C / 135F
Bottom of the tinted glass facing car interior is at close to 57C / 135F also.
The insulated box ambient temp is at 55C / 130F << not relevant for a car with HVAC cooling power.

The tint film get its heat from sun ray , via radiation.
Since it is inside the car, our HVAC has to fight that.
Pano roof being glass, is a poor thermal conductor at 0.8 Watt per meter Kelvin, so for a moving car which will have cooling effect on the pano's outside surface glass by convection
is not as good as a steel roof with thermal conductivity of 50.2 Watt per meter Kelvi ( yikes, 62x better for steel )

Source :
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...les/thrcn.html
and
https://ctherm.com/resources/newsroo...meter%20Kelvin).

If I use sticker , probably vinyl. Its thermal conductivity is poor at 0.17 W-m-K and is good because it will be first barrier facing the sun and it is not in the car interior.
As for black color of a pano glass vs a white color of a vinyl sticker, how much difference the material temperature would be, I can't find any test for a car's pano roof.
All I can find are test on building roof where different colors are tested.

Source : https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig2_320376359

Source : https://aip.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1063/1.5024113

Autotrader test, whole car color difference.

Let me get some nice white masking or floor marking tape as matching as possible to my white paint for experiment, before I commit to doing the sticker.
The pano is divided into two zones. Front moveable and the static rear. They are almost identical size.

RIGHT side is rear of car, see antena

Courtesy of Ebay seller, I forgot who

LEFT SIDE IS REAR OF CAR, see antena hole

Last edited by S-Prihadi; 11-23-2022 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-24-2022 | 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
I wonder what stuffing a couple layers of 'reflectix' (silvered mylar bubble-wrap insulation) above the shade and below the glass would do ?
pierrejoliat (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022 | 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Put a solar panel above it and you will also have free electricity.
Or Internet antennas come in this size as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by kajtek1:
pierrejoliat (11-25-2022), S-Prihadi (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

good one K.

LCG,
That 'reflectix' (silvered mylar bubble-wrap insulation) probably would work but it will make noise for a moving car.
I also do not like having to keep such thing in my car.

Anyway, I was thinking to do my own temperature test, quick and dirty version : WHITE STICKER vs BLACK GLASS surface temperature of the pano glass outside the car and inside the car.
So I bought 2 types of floor marking tape.

3M is more glossy white and Tesa is kinda a tiny bit matte white

With the white tape on the moveable pano glass :
I then realized that this pano roof moveable glass and the static one is curve-y like an arc and a big size and a color change of white to it,
unless 100% of the entire car roof gets to be white, white region not a 100% will be a sore eye
Unlike simple smaller sunroof where the cut out of the moveable glass is not a sore eye.

So after the white tape temperature test done, I may go for an alternative :
Do bear in mind that my target is for a moving car at 10:30AM to 2PM full blown clear sky super hot sunlight and not a parked car under the sun which I leave it to the Sun God to exercise his wrath...
I may choose black color sticker. The reason being, if indeed the black sticker can block sunlight well and heat itself up while not passing thru the hot infra red spectrum to the 3M Crystalline tint I have,
when car is moving, that black sticker will be much cooler and at the inside face of the pano glass, the 3M tint won't be hot to radiate heat to my head.

I will probably do black sticker only for the moevable pano glass and not the rear static one, because me wife is short and she can't feel the sun heat from the 3M tint at rear pano glass...LOL.
Not that I am any much taller, but I am 10cm taller than my wife and I sit on my chair rally style up right, albeit the seat butt is at maximum lowest.

Today is cloudy, well rainy season till Feb 2023 so can't do the sunlight test today.
I will need to go to my friend's private marina to do the test as it has big enough open air parking space where no surrounding building/home will block the sunlight I seek,

pierrejoliat (11-25-2022)
Old 11-27-2022 | 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So, I had lunch with my wife and friend and I managed to fry my car at the mall's open air car park on purpose.
However, I did not have my thermal cam with me. DANG !!!

Description :
On the way there, 11:20AM to 12:00PM I kept touching from inside the cabin , the pano roof, the tinted one (rear) is warmer than the front with white sticker.
Arrived at the mall. Car sun fried for 2 hours 45 minutes. But sky is rather cloudy, so not super hot, but still hot sun light wise. Time of sun fried session was 12PM to 14:45PM.
Dropped my friend home, close by the mall and cruise home immediately.

Photos below is after the trip home where the car has HVAC running for approx 40 minutes and car was moving at approx 50-70KM/H.
Car ambient outside air sensor was reading 35C but I know it is not that hot if I can do constant 100KM/H, shaded at home garage, as you can see at best 29C ambient temp.
I took photo approx 5 minutes after I reached home.

Please note that this thermal-cam is auto color bar ranging, so no "hottest" color from different photos represent the same temperature, we have to see each photo's color bar/range.

ABOVE : So the white sticker-ded pano roof A2 is approx 30C, and ambient of the day is about 29C.

BELOW : A1 average is 33C for the tint glass vs A2 region of average 31C for the white sticker one, where wind have been cooling these surfaces for 40 minutes at 50-70KM/H velocity.

Tinted one is hotter at average 34C compared to white sticker one at average 30C.
This is with the cabin air-conditioned for 40 minutes and ambient air inside the car approx 25C at best average if at chest level seating down.

As can be seen, the car leather interior at the door and the hand grip at the roof is 25C. That is the car average ambient temperature.

So at blue clear sky, it is no suprise the tinted pano glass at cabin side, its own physical temperature (not sun ray towards my head), can be easy 45C or perhaps more,
hence it is awfully irritating to drive a pano roof car at 10:30AM to 2:00PM in clear sky.

I am at latitude 6 degrees south, so summer or winter soltice has near zero effect for sun light strength decreasing by angle, unlike northen or southern region at 30ish degrees latitude.
12PM or 11:30AM to 12:30PM is always forever mid noon and sun light above my head dead on. Sunset or sunrise variation the same, never more than 30 minutes sooner or later.

ADD:
In tropical climate, hot ambient temperature is 1 thing, but HVAC is heavily burdened by our 80-90%ish humidity and its cooling power is lost a great deal from
humidity alone. So me in the tropics has more to loose vs a drier country of the same ambient temperature.

Last edited by S-Prihadi; 11-27-2022 at 05:00 AM. Reason: ADD INFO
pierrejoliat (11-27-2022)
Old 11-27-2022 | 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you could enter your car after parking in open sunlight without a problem, you did not have hot day.
I avoid such situation to long degree and in Las Vegas we do have lot of underground parkings, but the few times I had no choice, I could not touch door handle. Than after opening the door, wearing shorts the seats would burn my legs. Than touching gear shifter require a rag, or gloves.
That is why I was researching remote start (factory allows it starting in 2016 models), but 2 grands for aftermarket system is not sounding right.
My friend, driving black W211 (battery in trunk) park it on top parking level and ended up with boiled battery, even the car was on warranty. Big towing bill.
The following 2 users liked this post by kajtek1:
pierrejoliat (11-27-2022), S-Prihadi (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022 | 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yep I can relate when parked in a long time in super hot day and sun fried the car.
The top part of the steering wheel is so hot, we can't touch it. Afterall mostly steering is black and most windshield is curved enough as such steering wheel get
direct sunlight too in a way when sun angle allows.

Usually what I do if such misery occurs is, open all windows, turn on engine and HVAC and I stay out of the car for few minutes. I can't be inside because it is worse than most yacht's engine room in yacht running state.
This removes the hot air within the cabin, but interior material/fabrics still hot.
And then close all windows and let the HVAC fights the hot interior fabrics for a few more minutes, and only then I get into the car and drive it.
Up to 5 minutes is possible I don't enter the car.

pierrejoliat (11-28-2022)