E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

New Member Maryland

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 09:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Are the last 7 characters of your VIN below A776831?
No. I do appreciate all the info. Now I hope the corporate office refers me to a MB service center that can really help.
Old 01-10-2023, 05:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,420 Likes on 2,592 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
23 wrote : I don't want a car stopping on the highway on me.

If you car only goes into accidental PARK mode at low speed or under 5MPH, it is safe to say the tranny logic is still working and it won't go to park or reverse at high speed.
I have accidentally select reverse at faster than 30MPH due to the tranny lever being at the right side of the wheel and when by brain goes Japanese car mode by accident,
that is equal to doing a command for a RIGHT TURN SIGNAL. Car does not go to PARK ..wheewhhhh.

I also have open and shut door while at speed faster than 30MPH. Car does not go to PARK , double wheeehhhhh.
This door opened at low speed and PARK auto engaged is meant to complement Brake HOLD safety feature and prevention of dumb-azz driver being dumb.

Safety wise you are OK at highway speed but overall it is a pain, I agree.

Intermittent based problem troubleshooting is 99% of most workshop nightmare. Time consuming and no money usually made. Often they will wait till the fault is repeatable.
What you need is someone who enjoys troubleshooting victory , and not always money as 1st priority....but such people are hard to come by and more so willing to work on Benz.
I do not know where you are based at in USA but I can name 2 good mechanics good with scope and CAN BUS and love such challenge.

Try : https://www.youtube.com/c/PineHollowAutoDiagnostics
and
https://www.youtube.com/@SuperMarioDiagnostics

I would to see either one of them work on your car. This will be challenging.

The following 2 users liked this post by S-Prihadi:
pierrejoliat (01-15-2023), Star 23 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 08:51 AM

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
S212 E350 Estate
2 seconds of googling says it's the EIS. Electronic Ignition Switch. Common issue with W212's.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fliplegend:
pierrejoliat (01-15-2023), Star 23 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 07:26 PM

E350
Originally Posted by Fliplegend
2 seconds of googling says it's the EIS. Electronic Ignition Switch. Common issue with W212's.
I'm not a mechanic. And its obvious that the one I was using don't care enough to stand by their work.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:31 PM

E350
I'm in Maryland. Thanks for letting me know that the car will not go into park at high speeds. Unfortunately, the beltway is unpredictable. One will never know when they can hit gridlock traffic.

Once the gear slips into park, it was do it the rest of the day and get worse each time. I will check out the links you provided to learn more.

Thank you.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:34 PM

E350
Originally Posted by AllPhonesAretap
Hello Fellow Marylander! Have you had the car scanned? any codes? Something quirky I noticed is that at low speeds if you open the drivers door, the car goes into park! I don't think this is what's happening to you, but the feature and the error may be connected, the criteria you've put forth are at low speeds. Where did you go in MD to have them work on your Benz? I hope not in Beltsville, there's a real shady shop around there.

Why did the shop that replaced the steering column tell you they feel like that would fix the issue? Start small and work back up to the big things, that's the biggest thing I've learned in My mercedes ownership; it's not a catastrophic failure until it is.

Maybe it has something to do with this TSB?
I printed that out and took it with me to the MB mechanic. He still was of no help.
The following users liked this post:
AllPhonesAretap (01-14-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 07:36 PM

E350
Originally Posted by S-Prihadi
Same here, I only take photo of when I tear it down....
I got 10,000+ photos of my car parts/bolts/nuts yada yada, but only like 3 of car only photo as in THIS IS MY CAR kind of photo.

Welcome to the forum by the way.............

As to your PARK problem, have a read here :
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post8695810
Yes, I searched the forum before posting my problem.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 652 Likes on 406 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
OP - in post 18 above, you mention the keyless button does not always work, and it is a commonly known problem with the 212 of when the button wears out, it wants to put the car into park the moment it gets the chance (as noted by others here) I think there is just one part to replace to fix the issue. And its the one that gets punched in the face multiple times a day…

The following 3 users liked this post by nc211:
AllPhonesAretap (01-14-2023), atraudes (01-13-2023), pierrejoliat (01-15-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 05:23 PM

Received 277 Likes on 178 Posts
2011 E350 Wagon, 2010 GL450
I fixed the problem by taking the EIS out, disassembling it, and cleaning the heck out of it. Lots of rubbing alcohol and q-tips later, it's been about 3 years and the problem hasn't reoccurred once. I do like nc211's suggestion too, though. Cheap and easy to check!
The following 3 users liked this post by atraudes:
AllPhonesAretap (01-14-2023), BenzV12 (01-14-2023), Fliplegend (01-19-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 12:52 PM

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
2013 W212 E350 RWD
Originally Posted by Star 23
After reading other post with the same problem, yesterday, I put the keyless button back in. Many times it don't work. So I will remove it and use the key fob.

I don't want to buy a new car. The interest rates are 5%. When I purchased my MB, the interest was 1%.

What are you trying to do? you want to fix the car but you're not a mechanic. You want to get rid of it but don't want interest? Then don't get a loan, get a car you can afford to pay in cash (if you wanna go that route, I work at Fitz). But you've got to do something. You don't want to go to a dealer, and the independents you've been to are lazy rip off artists. You don't need a mechanic, you don't need a technician, you need a diagnostician. Most techs aren't that bright, or they don't have the drive to work on something where the solution isn't easy. The guys who are capable of looking at the live data from your car and determining what's going on charge for their time.

You either get rid of the car, or you pay to play.

Consider the following:
I don't mind installing any parts you need installed, I'll charge a flat rate for the work and that'd be that, I know my way around W212s. I'm a competent DIYer.
I get you a good trade in on your car and you buy a new car. I can get you a new Hyundai -I think @ 0% interest lol.
OR you pay someone else to fix it, that's all you can do.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:19 PM

E350
Originally Posted by nc211
OP - in post 18 above, you mention the keyless button does not always work, and it is a commonly known problem with the 212 of when the button wears out, it wants to put the car into park the moment it gets the chance (as noted by others here) I think there is just one part to replace to fix the issue. And its the one that gets punched in the face multiple times a day…
I was quoted $1050+. But I really think this Indi don't want me as a customer.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:25 PM

E350
Originally Posted by AllPhonesAretap
What are you trying to do? you want to fix the car but you're not a mechanic. You want to get rid of it but don't want interest? Then don't get a loan, get a car you can afford to pay in cash (if you wanna go that route, I work at Fitz). But you've got to do something. You don't want to go to a dealer, and the independents you've been to are lazy rip off artists. You don't need a mechanic, you don't need a technician, you need a diagnostician. Most techs aren't that bright, or they don't have the drive to work on something where the solution isn't easy. The guys who are capable of looking at the live data from your car and determining what's going on charge for their time.

You either get rid of the car, or you pay to play.

Consider the following:
I don't mind installing any parts you need installed, I'll charge a flat rate for the work and that'd be that, I know my way around W212s. I'm a competent DIYer.
I get you a good trade in on your car and you buy a new car. I can get you a new Hyundai -I think @ 0% interest lol.
OR you pay someone else to fix it, that's all you can do.
You are forthright. I would love to get my car fixed. Just need to find someone that's competent. That's why I'm on this forum. Can't you sense my frustration.

I hope you understand that. I don't have money to waste.

A new car 0% interest. Where is this dealership at?
Old 01-27-2023, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 ML 350
Hello there and I do not know if you got your car fixed, but my buddy had a similar issue and it ended up that a software update fixed it. You definitely need to find a competent mechanic and or someone competent is using diagnostic equipment or you will live in the shop spending lots of unnecessary money.