E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Mercedes in limp mode after timing chain replacement, also blows no heat.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 05:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes E220 CDI (w212)
Mercedes in limp mode after timing chain replacement, also blows no heat.

Greetings all!

I have owned my Mercedes E class (2009 however it’s the w212 version) for nearly 4 years. The most recent problem that I had, was that the timing chain tensor failed, due to the lack of service from the past owners i suspect. The car had no problem until then, engine wise, however after getting the whole timing kit replaced, I turned the heat on and the car was blowing no heat, just a little bit of coldish air, and shortly after the car threw a check engine light after about 15 minutes of normal driving, and went into limp mode. I will also mention that I told the mechanic to replace whatever was making the coolant leak, however he decided that it wasn’t worth it and just threw in some anti leak liquid into the cooling system, which I suspect probably cause the heater core/ heat exchanger to clog. I went back with the car to ask the mechanic why this happened straight after, however all he done was put a code reader on the car and say it was a DPF fault, keeping in mind that I replaced the DPF less than a year ago. I’m just wondering, did anyone else have any problems with the car after getting the timing kit replaced? What could i try to remedy the problem?
Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 10:08 AM

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
2013 W212 E350 RWD
Originally Posted by TY21GER
Greetings all!

I have owned my Mercedes E class (2009 however it’s the w212 version) for nearly 4 years. The most recent problem that I had, was that the timing chain tensor failed, due to the lack of service from the past owners i suspect. The car had no problem until then, engine wise, however after getting the whole timing kit replaced, I turned the heat on and the car was blowing no heat, just a little bit of coldish air, and shortly after the car threw a check engine light after about 15 minutes of normal driving, and went into limp mode. I will also mention that I told the mechanic to replace whatever was making the coolant leak, however he decided that it wasn’t worth it and just threw in some anti leak liquid into the cooling system, which I suspect probably cause the heater core/ heat exchanger to clog. I went back with the car to ask the mechanic why this happened straight after, however all he done was put a code reader on the car and say it was a DPF fault, keeping in mind that I replaced the DPF less than a year ago. I’m just wondering, did anyone else have any problems with the car after getting the timing kit replaced? What could i try to remedy the problem?
Thank you!

When the tensioner failed, did it make the piston meet the valves? That could be why the mechanic said screw you...

Last edited by AllPhonesAretap; 02-02-2023 at 03:07 PM.
biker349 (01-02-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 05:38 AM
SPONSOR

Received 375 Likes on 226 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
This sounds silly but could you have air in the cooling system?

Could be a heater control valve, but it'd need to be looked at. The internet is great for some things, not for everything.
The following 3 users liked this post by ChrisHimself:
biker349 (01-04-2023), MB_FanAddict (01-31-2023), pierrejoliat (01-05-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 08:23 PM

Mercedes E220 CDI (w212)
Hi,

The pistons did not have contact with the valves since i turned off the engine instantly and couldn’t hear any knocking or pressure loss sounds after the car has been “repaired”. Also, the mechanic said he had a look and everything internally seemed fine. However now the gearbox feels sluggish, doesn’t change gears properly but the car pulls like it never did before. You think there was a possibility that the transmission hasn’t been connected properly after the engine was put back in?
AllPhonesAretap (02-02-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 08:24 PM

Mercedes E220 CDI (w212)
Originally Posted by ChrisHimself
This sounds silly but could you have air in the cooling system?

Could be a heater control valve, but it'd need to be looked at. The internet is great for some things, not for everything.
I don’t think that there is any air in the system, i think the stop leak liquid probably clogged the heater core or blower, i’m not sure?
Old 01-30-2023, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,392 Likes on 2,261 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
¿ Scanner time or ??

Did you have a chance to get the FAULT CODES PULLED... It would not surprise me to find the ISM-VIP at the center of your topic - Let's find out, ok?

With data you increase your chance to get closure

THE EASY FIX FOR THIS LIMP MODE SHOULD BE A SAFETY RECALL

Greetings all!

Thank you!
Did you have a chance to get the FAULT CODES PULLED... It would not surprise me to find the ISM-VIP.

THE EASY FIX FOR THIS LIMP MODE SHOULD BE A SAFETY RECALL
Old 01-30-2023, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,290 Likes on 882 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
The pistons did not have contact with the valves since i turned off the engine instantly and couldn’t hear any knocking or pressure loss sounds after the car has been “repaired”. Also, the mechanic said he had a look and everything internally seemed fine. However now the gearbox feels sluggish, doesn’t change gears properly but the car pulls like it never did before. You think there was a possibility that the transmission hasn’t been connected properly after the engine was put back in?

the engine is turning around several thousand rotations per minute when you are driving. 2000 RPM is 33 rotations per second, and each rotation, all 6 4 pistons go up and down once, so thats 200 133 possible piston-valve impacts in one second.... By the time you could have reacted and shut the engine off, any mechanical damage would already be done.
The following 3 users liked this post by Left Coast Geek:
AllPhonesAretap (02-02-2023), BenzV12 (02-01-2023), CaliBenzDriver (01-30-2023)