E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Any help appreciated..2010 E350 wont start, key turns but no click or crank. No aux.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 Coupe
Any help appreciated..2010 E350 wont start, key turns but no click or crank. No aux.

Hello, I am hoping to get some advice on this issue.

Everything was fine the evening before. Then went to make a quick trip..turn the key and nothing. No crank attempt, clicking sounds or anything OTHER than being able to unlock/lock with the keyfob and everything else works such as radio and trunk release...even the dash turns on and displays mileage like always. I can not roll down the windows either seems like no auxiliary power?

I did take part the keyfob made sure it's got good batteries and did the IR test with my cell phone camera so that to me seems good. At a loss here what to start looking at first.

Vehicle is a 2010 e350 coupe with appx 74k miles.

Any help , tips even good luck wishes lol appreciated as I've learned so much from this forum . Thank you all in advance for your time and advice.

Last edited by ThePotent1; 02-12-2023 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Both keys? If only have 1 key could be key, EIS, or common steering lock failure all of which require MB dealer or qualified independent to definitively diagnose using Xentry (MB diagnostics). BTW 207 should be posting here: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...brio-a207-141/

Last edited by konigstiger; 02-13-2023 at 11:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ThePotent1 (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 03:23 PM

2010 E350 Coupe
Konigstiger,

Thank you. Sorry for posting in the wrong w212 forum, I have posted this in the correct one too. I have only one key for this vehicle.

Since I haven't done so yet going to check fuses and car battery but I read up on eis and yeah sounds like maybe that's what it's going to be.

Would a store bought obd scanner tell me if its that?

QUOTE=konigstiger;8720515]Both keys? If only 1 key could be key, EIS, or common steering lock failure all of which require MB dealer or qualified independent to definitively diagnose using Xentry (MB diagnostics). BTW 207 should be posting here: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...brio-a207-141/[/QUOTE]
Old 02-13-2023, 08:52 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W212
When you insert the key, only the mileage is lit up? Or do all the lights turn on? Like the srs check engine light etc. if nothing else turns on, then most likely (sadly) the ESL is broken. probably it’s just the small motor in the esl module, which is cheap, but it takes some elbow grease to take it out.
either change the motor, or the esl module, or replace it with an emulator and reprogram the keys.
Recently I had this problem. I Could open the car with both keys , changed the key batteries , but when I inserted the key, absolutely nothing happened. It’s as if it did not recognize the key. Only the mileage was shown, nothing else, no other light, nothing.
Had to take it to the dealer, they changed the esl module and reprogrammed the keys. Everything works fine now.. now I can actually hear the esl motor lock /unlock the steering wheel, whereas before, nothing could be heard. And it didn’t lock the steering wheel. So I guess that’s one way to know that the esl module is about to die sometime in the future.

replacing the module at the dealer costs an arm and a leg, so be advised

also check these detailed posts :
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...lots-pics.html

later I opened the esl module like in that thread, took the motor out (everything was black from the brushes), powered it and it barely rotated and smoke came out almost instantly. I bought a replacement from AliExpress, powered it and the motor was spinning crazy fast, no smoke.

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/ho...art-1.3071246/

Last edited by benidB; 02-13-2023 at 09:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
juanmor40 (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 10:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
W212 E550 4 matic
ESL

I’m crossing my fingers it’s something easy like the fob . But that’s exactly how that ESL fails .
I bought a used c300 and drove it home from dealer pulled in driveway . 1 hour later came out to pull it in garage and wham ESL went out . It was a 70k miles 08 c300 with bought as is .
luckily the guy I bought it from stepped up and towed it to a mechanic who replaced it and all that and brought it to me . I hope that it’s not your problem .
good luck let us know
Old 02-13-2023, 02:12 PM

2010 E350 Coupe
@benidB Exactly what you describe the mileage will show the gear selector underneath the mileage shows that I'm in Park radio turns on but no other information I can't scroll through any of the menu items using the steering wheel controls either.

After several attempts at 1 time it did turn on and I drove it around for a couple minutes parked it took the key out tried to start it again and nothing went back to doing the same thing. I thought it might be the eis or esl like you say. Thanks for the info and link really appreciate it.

@M_Patton Wow you definitdefinitely lucked out with the seller being a stand up individual like that it sounds exactly like what's going on with me. I'll keep my fingers crossed too with no warranty I'll need it 🤞 thanks for the details.

Old 02-13-2023, 02:13 PM

2010 E350 Coupe
Plot thickens...keyfob now wont arm or disarm

Well the pot thickens now the key fob wont arm or disarm the alarm nothing happens when I try to use it at least just yesterday it was doing that.
Old 02-13-2023, 02:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by ThePotent1
Would a store bought obd scanner tell me if its that?
Best bet Xentry (MB diagnostics) to test in succession - key, eis, esl...