E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Oil change using Fluid (oil) extractor versus not

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,106 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
I have a 25% off coupon at Harbor Freight, which I will use today or tomorrow to buy the HOLT Pneumatic evacuator. This will give my new compressor an additional use when the oil change is due in September...

Old 06-13-2023, 05:40 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Mercedes
Well finally getting a chance to post the update. I changed the oil this past Sunday. All went well, actually better than I could have expected. The fix was to attach short (6 inch) tubing starting at the dipstick opening and reducing it to fit the small hose that attaches to the larger hose of the extractor. You can see in the pictures that I inserted the hoses into one another to attach them to one another. I used hose clamps even though they were snug when inserting them. I was being cautious (of leaks) and in the long run if you wanted a cleaner look a barbed hose reducers could be used instead. Also for long term use I would like to find a quick disconnect coupler (if it exists) to connect the third smallest hose which connects to the smaller hose (which came with the fluid extractor and connects to the larger fluid extractor hose). That way I can leave my fix intact and disconnect it from the fluid extractor without unscrewing clamps and then use it for other cars. Anyway as it stands it worked very well and the cost for the 3 tubes was $2.00. And since I had the clamps that was it. The three tubes I purchased were 1"OD X 3/4" ID, 3/4" OD X 1/2" ID and 1/2" OD X 3/8" ID.

As far as the extraction went I made one mistake. I forgot to warm the oil up. I was concerned with leaking and placed a towel underneath the tubes and just started to pump the tool. The oil flowed very well - even not warmed up but I was concerned at first since it seemed slow and was wondering if it would pull it all - it did. The smallest tube was 3/8" ID so that made the dipstick tube the smallest ID. So that helped with the flow, plus the garage temp was 92 degrees. Anyway it had to be exceedingly easier than using the long extraction tube that barely fit. I am convinced I pulled all the oil out that could be and that it would not have been better to jack the car up and drain from the oil pan itself. As a side note.. another negative comment for the dealer. Prior to doing this extraction (changing the oil) I had been checking to see of the oil level was correct. When doing so I followed what I thought was the proper procedure and it always seemed the oil on the dipstick was above the max line. I simply thought that somehow I was making a mistake in the procedure and ignored my observation concluded that there was enough oil (it did not need adding). To my surprise when the oil extracted hit the 7 quart mark (the correct capacity for the car - 6.9 quarts) it did not stop. I pulled what I guesstimate as just over 8 quarts. Obviously it was overfilled. I confirmed this when adding new oil I added about 7 quarts and when I checked the dipstick it looked where it should be. The OEM Tools extractor seemed to work well. Only downside was there are no markings on it for measuring the fluid (oil in this case) extracted. So prior to extraction I added 9 quarts of water, 1 quart at a time and put some tape there. I did not permanently mark it yet - I wanted to confirm I would not return it first if it did not perform well or for some other reason. I may still buy that adapter from Amazon to see how it fits (as it is returnable) but did not yet as I really needed to get this done this past weekend. Anyway here are some pictures.

Last edited by MPTrader; 06-13-2023 at 06:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kajtek1 (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 940 Posts
2008 E350 (W211 @170K), 2012 ML350 (W166 @119K), 2014 E350 Sport (W212 @96K), 2015 ML350 (W166 @92K)
Excellent Congratulations. Now something else I need to ponder about QuickJack, Oil Extractor.

Not to be critical, I would use a towel/cover to protect the fender from the oil hose+coupler. All the great work and ending up with a scratch will ruin my day.
MPTrader (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 05:57 PM

Mercedes
There was a towel (even under the hose in the engine) and I removed it ONLY to take the pictures and was very careful in doing so and as a note the coupler is plastic that is touching the fender.

Last edited by MPTrader; 06-13-2023 at 05:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MPTrader:
Bhopkins (06-14-2023), juanmor40 (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 06:19 PM

Received 466 Likes on 312 Posts
1983 Nissan Shltbox
Didn't read anything.

Drain from pan. Always.
Old 06-14-2023, 12:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,889 Posts
PFL205.064
Most likely this was already answered but I couldn't find it (sorry if it was already asked) but why OEMTools 24938 over Mityvac 7201 again?
Old 06-14-2023, 02:11 PM

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
2014 E350 Sport 4Matic Sedan
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Most likely this was already answered but I couldn't find it (sorry if it was already asked) but why OEMTools 24938 over Mityvac 7201 again?
in my experience, one of the weak points of the Mityvac, is air leaks throughout the length of the tubing connections. Starting at the fitting that goes into the top opening of the tank, it is held in place by nothing more than friction fit of an o-ring. Only one or two uses, and the friction of that o-ring is not enough to overcome the lubricity of the motor oil. Once you draw vacuum, it stays in place better. But it is frustrating trying to keep this fitting in place. To adapt to whichever of the smaller tubes you may use, from the largest tube that is attached to this fitting previously mentioned, you run one tube inside of the other. The "seal" between these two tubes is a rubber stopper. These rubber stoppers do not fit very tight, and air sucks in at this junction.

One other disadvantage of the Mityvac, or at least those with the manual pump feature, is that they occasionally get oil in the pump, and the pump looses suction. All you can do is wait for the oil to drain out of the pump.

Because of my frustration with my Mityvac, I am about to order an OEMTools extractor. So I can't speak from actual experience, but looking at the reviews and pictures of the OEMTools pump, I like how the primary hose is securely attached to the top of the tank. And I really like the quick release connection of the secondary tubes. That feature in and of itself, is enough to sway me towards the OEMTools extractor, over all the other leading models, including Mityvac, Harbor Freight, and even the Schwaben.

Edit: It appears that Schwaben has some upper level fluid extractors that use quick connect for the secondary tubes. However, they are kind of pricey.

Last edited by Bhopkins; 06-14-2023 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2023, 02:41 PM
SPONSOR

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
the seals leak air, the unit is held together with hot glue

OEMTools, the Harbor Freight one, and pretty much anything else is better for professional use. The Mityvac is good if you use it a couple times a year and store it bone dry throughout the year. The older ones are better quality.

Chris Tran, Service Manager/Owner
Amsoil Independent Dealer #7236674
Old 06-14-2023, 02:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064
Originally Posted by ChrisHimself
the seals leak air, the unit is held together with hot glue

OEMTools, the Harbor Freight one, and pretty much anything else is better for professional use. The Mityvac is good if you use it a couple times a year and store it bone dry throughout the year. The older ones are better quality.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-14-2023, 04:59 PM

Mercedes
I chose it for the reasons mentioned by @Bhopkins and @ChrisHimself in their previous posts. Also @Quint22 gave a good review of his experience with the OEM Tools one and the additional reviews were good too. Also you can get the dual operation one for a similar competitive price. After using it this past weekend (manual pump) it went very well and the connectors are great. Feels solid and did not have any issues. The only issue is there are no measurement markings on the OEM Tools - that I could find. So as I mentioned above I filled it with water one quart at a time and marked it with tape. From what I understand do not unscrew or remove the black top from the white canister.
ChrisHimself (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 07:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064
Originally Posted by MPTrader
I chose it for the reasons mentioned by @Bhopkins and @ChrisHimself in their previous posts. Also @Quint22 gave a good review of his experience with the OEM Tools one and the additional reviews were good too. Also you can get the dual operation one for a similar competitive price. After using it this past weekend (manual pump) it went very well and the connectors are great. Feels solid and did not have any issues. The only issue is there are no measurement markings on the OEM Tools - that I could find. So as I mentioned above I filled it with water one quart at a time and marked it with tape. From what I understand do not unscrew or remove the black top from the white canister.
I see thanks for your reply, will check out their reviews. Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:29 AM
SPONSOR

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
I see thanks for your reply, will check out their reviews. Thanks again.
plus you can operate the OEMtools and Holt one-handed while eating fried chicken/pizza

don't ask me why all my Snap-on wrenches are comfort grip..

Chris Tran, Service Manager/Owner
Amsoil Independent Dealer #7236674
Old 06-15-2023, 05:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064
Originally Posted by ChrisHimself
plus you can operate the OEMtools and Holt one-handed while eating fried chicken/pizza

don't ask me why all my Snap-on wrenches are comfort grip..
Cool beans thanks!
Old 06-16-2023, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E-350 4-Matic
I was looking at post #52 and am about to buy the extractor.
Here is what I understand after reading all the posts here:
The tube does not need to be snaked to the bottom of the sump, but can be connected to the dipstick(creating a tight seal) and will create the suction to remove all the oil.
The Oil filter housing can be removed first and the oil can drain into the pan without affecting the suction.
Am I correct?
Also... Does the tool come with the correct connector to fit into the dipstick tube , or do I need to buy additional hoses/bungs to create the tight seal I need?
Thanks in advance
Old 06-16-2023, 01:00 PM

Mercedes
Originally Posted by OraDBAforpsoft
I was looking at post #52 and am about to buy the extractor.
Here is what I understand after reading all the posts here:
The tube does not need to be snaked to the bottom of the sump, but can be connected to the dipstick(creating a tight seal) and will create the suction to remove all the oil.
The Oil filter housing can be removed first and the oil can drain into the pan without affecting the suction.
Am I correct?
Also... Does the tool come with the correct connector to fit into the dipstick tube , or do I need to buy additional hoses/bungs to create the tight seal I need?
Thanks in advance
I did not use the longer (and smaller OD tube) that came with the extractor tool that goes inside the dipstick and down to the drain pan. I fitted it as explained in post #52. See picture below for more visual. You would have to verify the dipstick mouth opening on your year car to see if it was the same diameter as mine (to verify the size tube to start with). The Shorter hose that came with the tool can be seen also in the third picture (post #52) which connects to the largest hose that came with the tool and connects to the tool canister itself. It is the main suction hose. I did not take off the filter housing at first as I was just focused on making sure there were no leaks and also since this was the first time using the tool. I did loosen it to make sure that the oil housing wrench socket fit correctly. Now you can purchase (from Amazon) the fitting that @Bhopkins mentioned in post #45. He also explains in that post how to connect it. If it works it appears that would be all you need to purchase. As I mentioned I may purchase one too and try it (next time) and the only reason I did not was I wanted (needed) to do the oil change that weekend.

Last edited by MPTrader; 06-16-2023 at 02:45 PM.
OraDBAforpsoft (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 01:39 PM

2010 E-350 4-Matic
Thank you . I am going to order the adapter in post#45 and the OEM brand extractor. Hopefully, that's all I will need.
If not, I will get the tubes/hose clamps that you got. Are the hoses available from a home depot/lowes kind of store? Also how long of each length? I am guess about 1 foot of each length would work.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:32 PM

Mercedes
Originally Posted by OraDBAforpsoft
Thank you . I am going to order the adapter in post#45 and the OEM brand extractor. Hopefully, that's all I will need.
If not, I will get the tubes/hose clamps that you got. Are the hoses available from a home depot/lowes kind of store? Also how long of each length? I am guess about 1 foot of each length would work.
I bought the hoses at Ace Hardware, they sell them by the foot. Home depot does not - not sure about Loews. The ones in the picture are 6 inches. They were willing to sell me less than the foot minimum and I only wanted to use 6", a foot would have been too long imo. Let us know your experience with the adapter.
OraDBAforpsoft (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Your local pet store with aquarium supplies will have all the hoses you need.
Old 06-16-2023, 03:39 PM

2010 E-350 4-Matic
Originally Posted by MPTrader
I bought the hoses at Ace Hardware, they sell them by the foot. Home depot does not - not sure about Loews. The ones in the picture are 6 inches. They were willing to sell me less than the foot minimum and I only wanted to use 6", a foot would have been too long imo. Let us know your experience with the adapter.
excellent - thanks!
Old 06-16-2023, 03:40 PM

2010 E-350 4-Matic
Originally Posted by DFWdude
good idea- thanks!
Old 06-16-2023, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Will they bee oil and fuel resistant?
Old 06-16-2023, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by kajtek1
I have used aquarium hoses for my Mityvac extractor for the last 18 years without problem. Some of this is not rocket science.
Quint22 (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 04:44 PM

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 E550 4Matic
I have an EWK hand pump extractor and, after reading this thread, understood why I couldn’t get all the oil out of my ‘14 E550 4Matic.

So, doing my best Macgyver imitation (those old enough to get the reference!!), I found an unused RainBird sprinkler connector where the 3/8” OD hose from the extractor fit snugly in the ID of the threaded end and used high temp stretch seal tape to secure. After a trip to Lowe’s (well, 2 actually…) I found a barbed grommet which fit PERFECTLY over the slightly barbed end of the sprinkler connector AND fit PERFECTLY into the dipstick tube!!

Then, on the second trip to Lowe’s, I found 3/8” OD tubing (only a couple feet came with the extractor) and bought about 5 feet. Final challenge was how to join the two tubes together. Found a steel 3/8” ID joiner tube in the hardware section into which both tubes fit VERY snugly. Stretch taped them too.

It works!!! Pulls oil right up the dipstick easily with just a few pumps!!

Makes me wanna change my oil early!!!

RainBird sprinkler adaptor with barbed grommet at one end. Extractor hose fits snugly well into the ID. Stretch taped for extra security.

Silver “joiner” stretch taped on the one side…

Old 06-16-2023, 11:16 PM

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by kajtek1
I have used aquarium hoses for my Mityvac extractor for the last 18 years without problem. Some of this is not rocket science.
Tygon is tygon assuming ya get the real deal. Petshops sell it although usually more expensive because it doesnt react or leach anything that will affect the fish. If you know the type/brand/sizes you need mcmaster carr is probably one of the better deals however for something of these lengths it doesnt really matter too much.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:21 PM

2010 E-350 4-Matic
Question Doh!

Originally Posted by Bhopkins
Order one of these. The larger of the two hoses that came with your extractor, should fit snuggly in the large end of the adapter. The o-ring end of the adapter fits in the top of the dip stick tube. Oil will be sucked up the dip stick tube.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I highly recommend against trying to push a smaller plastic tube, down the dip stick tube. For me at least, that method yields inconsistent results in extracting all the oil. As you touch on, there is uncertainty on how far down to push the tube. It is extremely hard to judge what the right depth is. Not deep enough, you don't get all the oil. Too deep, you don't get all the oil. It is a messy method, and can be difficult, depending upon the o.d. of the plastic tube.

The adapter method is super easy. No mess. No fuss. My understanding is this is the method used by MB dealerships, as the dip stick tube is actually designed with this function in mind.
I just bought the OEM pump and this adapter - the metal part male end fits into the dipstick, but the female side is a lot wider than the larger of the 2 hoses that came with the extractor...
Actually, although the female end is wider, the tube will push into the narrow neck and seal fine.

Last edited by OraDBAforpsoft; 06-23-2023 at 10:50 AM. Reason: info was wrong

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil change using Fluid (oil) extractor versus not