E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Air suspension programming/functionality when one or more points fail

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 05:19 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2013 Altima, 2011 E550
Air suspension programming/functionality when one or more points fail

If this is too silly a question or just generally doesn't fit the criterion for a "quality post" please feel free to let me know and I'll remove it.

Hypothetically, if the 2 rear bags pneumatic lines had faults or the bags didn't hold air, would the airmatic computer recognize that it's been sending pressure to a certain corner and not seeing any feedback indicating PSI is increasing, so eventually lock that output on the valve body and redirect air to whichever of the 2-3 remaining bags do hold pressure?

I've spent the past couple of days researching options for my 2011 E550 4Matic with what I believe is Rev9's Hyper Street kit, where the front right I'm told needs immediate replacement to be safe to drive.

I still plan on restoring the air suspension eventually, but am coming to terms with the idea that biting the bullet now might be a decent option.

My guess is that this is almost definitely NOT advisable, but hypothetically, if the switch from coils back to air was done in 2 parts, could the front hypothetically be done first and the airmatic system be temporarily functional only for the front?

I have an NT530 and Openport on the way if programming is the missing key to make this work.
Old 10-23-2023, 07:28 PM

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 E550
I had a bad rear airbag and the pump worked more often keeping the car level. I think it cares more about all 4 corners being level and height than psi per bag but I might be wrong.
Old 10-24-2023, 08:25 PM

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
2012 E550 sedan 2019 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by mgiara
If this is too silly a question or just generally doesn't fit the criterion for a "quality post" please feel free to let me know and I'll remove it.

Hypothetically, if the 2 rear bags pneumatic lines had faults or the bags didn't hold air, would the airmatic computer recognize that it's been sending pressure to a certain corner and not seeing any feedback indicating PSI is increasing, so eventually lock that output on the valve body and redirect air to whichever of the 2-3 remaining bags do hold pressure?

I've spent the past couple of days researching options for my 2011 E550 4Matic with what I believe is Rev9's Hyper Street kit, where the front right I'm told needs immediate replacement to be safe to drive.

I still plan on restoring the air suspension eventually, but am coming to terms with the idea that biting the bullet now might be a decent option.

My guess is that this is almost definitely NOT advisable, but hypothetically, if the switch from coils back to air was done in 2 parts, could the front hypothetically be done first and the airmatic system be temporarily functional only for the front?

I have an NT530 and Openport on the way if programming is the missing key to make this work.

To avoid damage to the suspension during sleep mode, the system check the ride of the left, and the right side on each axle. If the rear right is low the system will dump air on the rear left to match. It will leave the front alone if the front left, and right height match. When you start up the car all corners have to match. You could get a plethora of errors from malfunction to ride to low.
Old 10-24-2023, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 634 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by S. Madman
To avoid damage to the suspension during sleep mode, the system check the ride of the left, and the right side on each axle. If the rear right is low the system will dump air on the rear left to match. It will leave the front alone if the front left, and right height match. When you start up the car all corners have to match. You could get a plethora of errors from malfunction to ride to low.
Where did you get the idea that the car dumps air from left or right air spring if the other is going low on the same axle? My 2010 E550 certainly does not dump air, nor does it try to pump the low one up when the car is in "sleep".

When one spring is low in the rear the fronts cannot be level. Car body is made very rigid and will not twist for allowing that to happen. If it did you would have a way more serious issue with the integrity of your car body.

When rear right goes down it also lowers the rear left. With this the front left goes up and front right also goes down some. This is simply because the car's body does not twist.

I also drive a 2012 S550 with Airmatic. Mercedes probably noticed this issue as in that car there is only one level sensor in the rear measuring position of the sway bar in the middle of the car, so it reads only one "point" in rear axle. Rear axle reading is so an average level of the two rear wheels. That system is not trying to "twist" the car to get all four corners leveled the same as it is not possible to do so.

The simple truth is that three points determine a plane, four points makes it 3-dimensional. Car's bottom is a 2-dimensional plane, which attitude is set by only three points, not more.
Old 10-24-2023, 11:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2013 Altima, 2011 E550
Deeply appreciate this thorough and well written response. Thank you!!

Sounds like it's an all or nothing type job. Worth asking!
Old 10-25-2023, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Arrie
Where did you get the idea that the car dumps air from left or right air spring if the other is going low on the same axle? My 2010 E550 certainly does not dump air, nor does it try to pump the low one up when the car is in "sleep".

When one spring is low in the rear the fronts cannot be level. Car body is made very rigid and will not twist for allowing that to happen. If it did you would have a way more serious issue with the integrity of your car body.

When rear right goes down it also lowers the rear left. With this the front left goes up and front right also goes down some. This is simply because the car's body does not twist.

I also drive a 2012 S550 with Airmatic. Mercedes probably noticed this issue as in that car there is only one level sensor in the rear measuring position of the sway bar in the middle of the car, so it reads only one "point" in rear axle. Rear axle reading is so an average level of the two rear wheels. That system is not trying to "twist" the car to get all four corners leveled the same as it is not possible to do so.

The simple truth is that three points determine a plane, four points makes it 3-dimensional. Car's bottom is a 2-dimensional plane, which attitude is set by only three points, not more.
Sorry Arrie, but I am not sure if I explained myself right. You basically stated what I said when you wrote "When rear right goes down it also lowers the rear left." I wrote "If the rear right is low the system will dump air on the rear left to match." Not sure if you got dump with pump mixed up. It will dump air from an airbag into the reservoir or dump into atmosphere (for example left rear) if it sees the other side airbag is too low (in this example right rear). On wake up if (any sensor detects movement outside of the car, key fob not needed, or if the unlock key on the key fob is pressed), the car will check if both axles and corners height are good. If it does not, it pumps air from the reservoir into the axle and/or corner that needs it.

If the reservoir tank does not have enough air, when the car is started it will give a "Vehicle Rising Please Wait A Moment" message followed by a "Malfunction" if:

1. The correct calibrated height is not met on both axles, and corners.
2. The reservoir did not fill up with air
3. The pump was running for too long.

Not sure where "twist" came into the conversation. Not disrespect meant just wondering where I misspoke?
Old 10-25-2023, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry Arrie, but I am not sure if I explained myself right. You basically stated what I said when you wrote "When rear right goes down it also lowers the rear left." I wrote "If the rear right is low the system will dump air on the rear left to match." Not sure if you got dump with pump mixed up. It will dump air from an airbag into the reservoir or dump into atmosphere (for example left rear) if it sees the other side airbag is too low (in this example right rear). On wake up if (any sensor detects movement outside of the car, key fob not needed, or if the unlock key on the key fob is pressed), the car will check if both axles and corners height are good. If it does not, it pumps air from the reservoir into the axle and/or corner that needs it.

If the reservoir tank does not have enough air, when the car is started it will give a "Vehicle Rising Please Wait A Moment" message followed by a "Malfunction" if:

1. The correct calibrated height is not met on both axles, and corners.
2. The reservoir did not fill up with air
3. The pump was running for too long.

Not sure where "twist" came into the conversation. Not disrespect meant just wondering where I misspoke?
I think you should read your own post again so you know what I comment on.

Bottom line, my car does not adjust height of any air springs when the car is in “sleep”. This is to:

1. Protect the compressor in case there is a leak that otherwise woul make it run extensively.

2. Not to deplete the car battery by the compressor.

When I had leaks the car would start pumping it up and if it was low enough in a spring I would het the “Vehicle Raising” message. Malfunction happens when the compressor cannot raise the car in certain time.

Again, my car does not do anything for the air springs when it sleeps. Only when I restart it and I believe your car does the same.

For example, if you park your car on an uneven surface where a wheel can be in a small pot hole when others are on much higher surface. There is no way the car can level the air springs in situation like this and if the car would try to do that while sleeping it would be trying until battery runs low enough for the start protection to step in and stop the Airmatink from doing it.

That would be a very silly system and I know the two cars I own with the Airmatic both do nothing for the level after I park and lock them. There is a small adjustment right when I lock due to car level being up from down force but after that if any spring leaks the car will go down with it only to take corrective action when I restart.

Trending Topics

Old 10-26-2023, 02:04 AM

I never wrote that the car would try to "raise" the car with the compressor when it is in the process of going to sleep. I said it will dump air into the opposing wheel, as in the low tire. It will also deflate the "good side" during the occasional system wake up (which it does during the course of hours), if the reservoir tank is not enough to fill it during the previous check. I never wrote that the car will uses the compressor to attempt this.

It uses what I tell my friends is the Heineken beer keg.

Old 10-26-2023, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I never wrote that the car would try to "raise" the car with the compressor when it is in the process of going to sleep. I said it will dump air into the opposing wheel, as in the low tire. It will also deflate the "good side" during the occasional system wake up (which it does during the course of hours), if the reservoir tank is not enough to fill it during the previous check. I never wrote that the car will uses the compressor to attempt this.

It uses what I tell my friends is the Heineken beer keg.
Your car does not dump air from one air spring to another or dump it out trying to even the sides while sleeping. If it does then there is a problem with your car.