E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Need help please with coil connectors and plug boots!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 07:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 e350
Need help please with coil connectors and plug boots!

Howdy, I had no problem getting ecu off all wires etc. I watched video of a man changing plugs out and its staight forward enough as I am retired driller and have been mechanic my whole life, Have been a boat a jetski mecanic since I retired in 93 for a living. My problem is this, I am not able to remove the clips from top of coils, I unclipped the grey slider in the back just as the mechanic in video. All seadoo and yamaha skis have clips I have no problem with them. Even with the grey clip pulled back into open position the connections will not pull off coils. Second I have the proper plug boot puller and they are on their so tight I'm afraid Ill break a coil connector if I get too rough. Problem is car only has 80k miles on it, its a 2013 with the 276.9 motor. I was able to replace number 4 sparkplug since it has extra coil wire and I was able to get boot off by getting rough with it, I did install bosch plug and plenty die electric grease.Any hints on how to get coil plug off without breaking coil plug on harness am I missing something? It looked like he just pushed grey keeper back with flat screwdriver ,then slid connector off by pushing on front of connector until it slid off coil. Im not too worried about breaking a coil, but I am worried if I break a coil connector. Please let me know if any tricks or something im doing connector rong.. Many thanks and have a blessed evening!!

Last edited by mrjetskey; 11-14-2023 at 08:22 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 11-14-2023, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,336 Likes on 2,220 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
ignition service tricks

Originally Posted by mrjetskey
Howdy, I had no problem getting ecu off all wires etc. I watched video of a man changing plugs out and its staight forward enough as I am retired driller and have been mechanic my whole life, Have been a boat a jetski mecanic since I retired in 93 for a living. My problem is this, I am not able to remove the clips from top of coils, I unclipped the grey slider in the back just as the mechanic in video. All seadoo and yamaha skis have clips I have no problem with them. Even with the grey clip pulled back into open position the connections will not pull off coils. Second I have the proper plug boot puller and they are on their so tight I'm afraid Ill break a coil connector if I get too rough. Problem is car only has 80k miles on it, its a 2013 with the 276.9 motor. I was able to replace number 4 sparkplug since it has extra coil wire and I was able to get boot off by getting rough with it, I did install bosch plug and plenty die electric grease.Any hints on how to get coil plug off without breaking coil plug on harness am I missing something? It looked like he just pushed grey keeper back with flat screwdriver ,then slid connector off by pushing on front of connector until it slid off coil. Im not too worried about breaking a coil, but I am worried if I break a coil connector. Please let me know if any tricks or something im doing connector rong...
Many thanks and have a blessed evening!!
Ok, this should go well because you are careful enough already. We won't let this trap ruin your harness connectors.

> Double lockers:
The coil harness connector uses a double lock.

You first need to unlock the grey slider
then you can rock the black piece by pressing on it.
BUT this almost guarantees to brake into pieces so
the better way is... to help lift the black lock with a pick while gently pulling the connectors apart.
Easy enough now?

> What gives: COP - BOOT - PLUG:
You've found out if you try to pull this assembly apart it's nearly impossible without ruining things up...

The trick is to brake the vacuum inside the boot tube!
First remove COP from boot with your pick to allow air in then pull the boot away from plug in at 60° V angle. Boot slides right off like nothing, yes?

Good enough?
Old 11-14-2023, 09:16 PM

2013 e350
Thank you so very much for your quick answer!! I always try and help my customers also even if it means spending time walking them through something Its come back by your helping me Yay Karma!.. The suction explains why boots wont come off.also why when I replaced number 4 without removing connector and used Dielectric grease the boot kept rising until I pushed and worked it on. When you say a pick you mean from front of connector opening? Under the square upset where the grey lock is? Thank you again and Have a Blessed evening I will try again in morning. Everything on these lovely cars can be a pain if you let it. I'm used to seadoo and yamaha tricks to make things go easier

Last edited by mrjetskey; 11-14-2023 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,336 Likes on 2,220 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
rock the lock

Originally Posted by mrjetskey
Thank you so very much for your quick answer!! I always try and help my customers also even if it means spending time walking them through something Its come back by your helping me Yay Karma!.. The suction explains why boots wont come off.also why when I replaced number 4 without removing connector and used Dielectric grease the boot kept rising until I pushed and worked it on. When you say a pick you mean from front of connector opening? Under the square upset where the grey lock is? Thank you again and Have a Blessed evening I will try again in morning. Everything on these lovely cars can be a pain if you let it. I'm used to seadoo and yamaha tricks to make things go easier
yes, you got the idea... don't press down the secondary lock without assisting it with your pick.

the boot popping back up and the sound of cork-pops is what lead me to understand the boot is like vacuum sealed.
🤞

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 11-14-2023 at 10:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
juanmor40 (11-14-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 10:00 PM

2013 e350
You are truly a Blessing to us that have to do some of our own repairs. Thank you!!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by mrjetskey:
CaliBenzDriver (11-14-2023), juanmor40 (11-14-2023), vich3 (11-15-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,559 Likes on 976 Posts
2008 E350 (W211 @170K), 2012 ML350 (W166 @119K), 2014 E350 Sport (W212 @96K), 2015 ML350 (W166 @92K)

visual complement since @CaliBenzDriver already helped you
CaliBenzDriver (11-14-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 01:47 AM
SPONSOR

Received 368 Likes on 221 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
spray the entire assembly with contact cleaner + silicone grease before you even attempt the job. Everything is heat baked on with oil/grit so you have to break the seals. Never remove rubber without a pick or thin flathead screwdriver.

If a clip doesn't lift up smoothly, it's because it doesn't want to be removed, that also applies to white locking tabs on sensors. Anything you break needs to be zip-tied back together. These engines produce a ton of heat that the engines don't care about, but all the plastic trim and connectors sorta hate it.

Chris Tran, Service Manager/Owner
Amsoil Independent Dealer #7236674
chassis (11-16-2023)

Trending Topics

Old 11-16-2023, 07:11 PM

2013 e350
Gentlemen Many thanks for your help and replies, I had no problem removing coil wire clips with your help, I used a flat old points file to raise clip. However on this model even with clips removed I still had major Problems with plug boots, They had no silicone from factory or when dealer performed the certified merc. used sales. I bought car when 3 yrs old with 40k on the clock. It now only has 80K wife doesnt drive much, plugs that I replaced could have lasted another 80k but I have found if you dont replace plugs regularly even if good the bottom 3 threads corrode then its hard on cyl. head threading. The boots were still impossible to get off without cracking the hard plastic shell around wire and plug. But got it done without breaking any connectors, That was my main worry. Thanks again and have a blessed evening!!
juanmor40 (11-16-2023)