2013 lost sound, AMP/audio replacement options for modern times

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 4MATIC
2013 lost sound, AMP/audio replacement options for modern times

Hi All,

Long time viewer of the forums and appreciate the insane amount of knowledge this forum shares. I finally decided to create an account and ask for help.

Problem: I have a 2013 E350 4MATIC sedan with HK Logic 7. A few weeks a go my car stopped outputting all sound. I did the usual searches and I have probably restarted the COMAND system 50+ times. Hard reset and all. The sound still won't come through the speakers. BT connects, still no sound. Radio AM/FM still no sound. I can press the mute button on the steering wheel and it shows up on the headunit and I can remove it and still no sound. I do get the normal sounds such as when the seat belt is not fastened but no music. I have removed the battery for over an hour and re-connected and still nothing. This leads me to believe that the AMP in the trunk died on me.

I was reading on this forum and came to a conclusion that I can't just get a replacement used OEM AMP and plug it in expecting it to magically work as I need to have the data transferred from old AMP to replacement used OEM AMP. Also I can't simply plug into a nice aftermarket AMP due to stupid proprietary fibers connection.

What are my options in this modern age? I don't care for the COMAND function as I only use the factory screen for radio/music only. Stock Nav sucks so don't care for that and rear view camera resolution also sucks too. I commute 1 1/2 hours each way to work and it would be nice to get some music back into the car. I don't mind replacing the factory unit with something new/modern. Some of those 10.25 or 12.3 in Android screens aren't so bad looking. Before I can even order those or attempt to replace my OEM with them I'm assuming I need to get the AMP situation fixed as even with headunit replacement, I still will have no sound correct? From searching the forums I have the NTG 4.5/ NTG 4.7.

I've done radio installs on other cars before... this W212 doesn't seem as simple as others with the stupid HK AMP/speakers situation.

Any help/suggestion on what options I have would be greatly appreciated. I really want my music back on the long commute/drives.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,449 Likes on 2,298 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Thing is you are going down your own way to replace head unit and amplifier plus speakers.

The strange part is the sound woofer-amp is also silent... perhaps you have a bad fuse.

Scan these units: COMAND + AMPS for faults before committing big bucks in sound upgrades.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 02-01-2024 at 04:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DubyaE350 (02-01-2024)