FLOATING ENG TEMP YO-YO... COMPUTER MOAB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,508 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Originally Posted by S-Prihadi
Too bad no similar engine to compare with, if possible one at 32C ambient temperature.

I think you should start installing Banks Gauge Cali , oil pressure + oil temperature at sensor skin, so we can compare NA to Turbo
You have captured a perfectly good baseline. We have pin pointed the extreme heat cause. Now you can compare baseline MOD1 with MOD2.1: cool regulated temperatures.

Both our engines temperature behave precisely the same... Our oil cools nothing below a threshold RPM linked to viscosity.

Your turbos in Jakarta tropical heat and my 3.5-NA in 11C/52F California weather share the same MB DNA: trapped heat caused by dry lube.

Surya: imagine my little 3.5-NA running on medium fan speed in winter... RIDICULOUS!! I finally decided to deal with this non-sense.

Funny thing is our temps are dictated by the same ECU parameters.

SMILE:
What's going to put a smile on your face is exact same solid performance regardless of drive 15mn or 2Hrs. Engine/tranny oils are now temp regulated.

With constant regulated temps affecting oil viscosity, the engine response stays solid through proper ATF Viscosity. The radiator heat exchanger regulates the ATF viscosity quality.

Engine is touchy about VVT viscosity and for ATF its essential to the whole hydraulic driven gearbox: Converter, valve body, frictions and brakes like regulated temps.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,708 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
I was trying to find the probable PSI of oil prssure for the piston oil squirters to start jetting enough oil or enough throw distance to piston under skirt.

We know these......

01. We know that MB document stated when and IF oil solenoid is powered ( lowered oil pressure ) by ECM, piston oil squirters supposedly stop working.
Here we assume there is a mechanical blocking of oil flow to oil squirters.... by that solenoid.

02. If we defeat the oil solenoid, we assume the gallery to the oil squirters will be opened and oil will flow.
However since this mini pipe oil squirters has to push oil quite high up, there is a minimum oil pressure required before it can throw oil that far.

03. We know that as-is untouched oil solenoid, 28PSI is the best we get, until pass 3,500 RPM or ECM sensed throttle being kicked deep for more power, then ECM remove power from
oil solenoid to increase oil pressure while still under 3,500 RPM.

04. Therefore this piston oil squirters probably need 35 PSI minimum ?
If say 35 PSI or higher, the engine need 1,500 RPM or better. Hot oil, my climate.

If say oil squirters need 45 PSI or higher, we need 1,900RPM approx. Hot oil, my climate.

==============

Yesterday I replaced my engine oil & oil filter, due to it reaching 9 months old, albeit 2,389 KM. This is the new API-SP Mobil 1 0W40.
So I tested for oil squirters possible minimum PSI to spray enough distance to reach piston under skirt.
I am hoping I can see it from oil temperature shift.

Oil Solenoid is DEFEATED.

Possibly zone 1 is where the result of oil squirters seen best.
It is quite difficult to get the actual truth unless we have a camera inside ...LOL.
Any faster than 1,300 RPM also makes coolant circulation pump operates well and cool the coolant with better flow too.
Why I chosen zone 1 is because, I find it as the most obvious spike up in oil temperature when piston are so hot after the maximum soft idle-WOT 4,200 RPM with 105C coolant temp.

By zone 2 I would say the oil and coolant temps are balanced.

The easiest way to heat up coolant to 105C is do 4,200RPM to 99C and then let it idle down, coolant temp will rise up to 103 - 105C for sure as coolant circ pump too slow at idle speed and heat
load get picked up by coolant kinda slow. Based on stationary car.

I think, 1,450 RPM and up or 32 ish PSI of oil pressure and up, the oil squirters spray distance probably can reach piston underskirt already. Based on oil solenoid defeated of course.

Near 4C heat rise of the oil. 96.3C to 97.2C

The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

DIVING RIGHT IN to see results...

Thank you MS... as always when diving with you, I am getting fresh ideas about our research.
We found the proverbial needle in the haystack to loose extreme heat.

​​​​​
> Focused :
The good thing is the working pressure that enables piston cooling also satisfies the VVT Gear and the Tensioners.
Exactly what my engine was missing to run well.

Now the ECU/TCU put out amazing torque and stay cool doing it.
I really appreciate no burning oil or coolant smell seriously solid performance.

clear difference around trigger RPM: 27 vs.56 PSI
The above pics show us that with active solenoid the pistons are begining to spray above 3400.RPM with 25PSI.

Q: what RPM is necessary to produce 25PSI on MOD1. using uncertain w40 oil viscosity ???

We can plot the curve between idle and measured RPM to find target the pressure we want

Squirters have a built-in ball on spring valve to preserve pressure at low RPM for engine heads. Without that our heads would stay dry like our pistons.

Squirters mechanicaly open around 20 to 25PSI
Oil pressure varies with RPM + Temperature + relative position on distribution conduit.

-- You bring up an excellent remark about effective squirting distance!
We are interested about pressure necessary to reach pistons, not just open the ball-on-spring.
So our target is not near 20Psi but closer to 30Psi.

> How about this:
try to observe when the oil temp jumps up. That's when squirting becomes effective.
This number depends on oil quality and oil Temp... sp it is a ballpark measure more than a hard set limit.

We saw the viscious cycle of hot oil getting thiner and causing it to get even hotter because then pistons can't be sprayed until higher RPM to gain pump pressure.
Our best advantage is to prevent the runaway Temp of super heated oil. It derates hydraulics performance.

> Data analysis :
Fresh live data... yum-yum

my processor got data overload!
Can you pick the required RPM to cool your pistons on fresh 0w40??
​​​​​​On MOD1. I foresee it being near 2650.RPM

Based on above graph the special spot is #2 whe oil/coolant temps merge. What threshold RPM caused that to occur??

When coolant temp stays sky high above oil temp then we now know what's not happening.

Oil temp vs. coolant
-- Here we observe at normal driving RPM the oil is unable to pick up any heat from dry lubed pistons.
-- Find the fixed RPM that causes the oil temp to jump up to coolant temp.

> Cheat a little...
Dump a shot of 200ml of excellent Mob1:15w50 in your fresh 0w40 oil to lower necessary RPM.

-- Higher viscosity effectively brings down squirting RPM. I believe 1500.RPM to be a viable working target for a Frankenstein 6W-41 mixer​​​​​

We're going to get you full reward for all your science + patience: consistently great power under controlled heat in Jakarta.

++++ MIXING FORMULA DETAILS ++++
How much honey is too much... See right there.

++++ MOD NUMBERING ++++
Under MOD2.1 each
remixed oil formula branches off into separate oils :
  • MOLY 10w40 + 200ml ?
  • MOTUL 5w40 + 300ml ?
  • MOBILE 0w40 + 400ml ?
Every oil has its own tailored mix to meet working requirements.
Only use "OEM approved" base oil stock!

++++ NOTE GOOFY TRANNY ++++
When tinkering with viscosity it is going to temporarily confuse tranny calculations: TAKE IT EASY to let tranny adapt perfectly well by itself over 500Mi.

Sloppy shifts overheat ATF that further drop viscosity and pressure... a vicious cycle. Instead enjoy what you get below 3000.RPM until self-adapted.
I do not care for fresh reset virgin datasets.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 03-26-2024 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,708 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
I got oil squirter pressure data for BMW M73-B54 engine.
Could not find MB data.

25 PSI to UNSEAT only.

This website is about BMW car engine converted for sport plane. So their data should be credible.
https://www.aerosportengineering.no/ase-650-saga

The oil nozzle can fail in clog/stop mode, or always open mode. Damn, 1 more thing to worry. But me engine oil is so clean all the time, I would not really worry.

The best way is to buy one and test the pressure opening and throw distance ....LOL
But must have proper adjustable regulator like this guy test below. Too bad he did not start at lower pressure first and progress slowly.

All these 4 engines, all different oil nozzle P/N.
I guess it is the pipe angle difference, and not the opening pressure...I am guessing

A2761800143 M276.** 3.0 & 3.5 Turbo, oil spray nozzle

A2761800543 M276 3.5NA oil spray nozzle

A2721800043 M278.9 oil spray nozzle

A2781800143 M157.981 oil spray nozzle

I can't find M157 oil spray nozzle photo.......

This is an always OPEN oil nozzle case

I found a patent by GM : https://patents.google.com/patent/US20120296518A1/en
In essence the engineer wanted to ...........

Method to diagnose a fault of an oil piston cooling jets valve

by using pressure sensor.

The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

piston coolers

MS: BRILLIANT!

It's super interesting to see what what's deep inside our engine.
We can see how SLOW real spray cooling is per minute. When pistons are allowed to heat up, its impossible to cool them by a few random squirts - Jetting has to be non-stop at regular driving speed.

As soon any of the spray nozzle gets plugged up by crankcase contaminants... the cylinder cooling is compromised.

Maybe this is what kills Cyl.1+5 closest to pump with the best low pressure: oxymoron

> CONTAMINATED OIL :
We know vaporized oil burns on dry lubed pistons.
Where does the burned oil scaling under piston crown dumps into??

Oil pump pushes into oil filter so presumably near micron-cleaned ✌️

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 03-27-2024 at 06:10 PM.