E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Have any of you ever tested your GDI injector as part of preventive maintenance ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2024, 04:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,398 Likes on 2,578 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Have any of you ever tested your GDI injector as part of preventive maintenance ?

Gents,

The cost of our GDI injector if by MB authorized is US$328 each.
https://www.mbpartsexpress.com/oem-p...r-256070560080

If using Bosch ( OE ) from FCP Euro, it is cheap at US$167
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...sch-2560700187

No surprise to see MB mark-up prices for its Bosch made products.

The only kind of proper GDI Injector test machine, is to be the type able to do the full 200 BAR our injector operating pressure is, like this one :
https://injector-rehab.com/?gad_sour...gaApq4EALw_wcB
This is the machine by Carbon Zapp https://injector-rehab.com/product/b...-flow-testing/

Another one :

The test bench manufacturer : https://carbonzapp.com/workshops/gdr-x

I have contacted the South East Asia Carbon Zapp rep in Singapore and so sad to learn that no one in my country have bought the GDI tester yet, but for advance common rail piezo diesel injector tester,
it is available in Indonesia. GDI population is still a low count in Indonesia.

When I was maintaining my client's yacht, oldie 200BAR mechanical diesel system, not common rail, every 1,000 hours of use I will send it for testing and replace the
injector tip, it was cheap. Back then our diesel sulfur is so high at 3,000 to 5,000 PPM, diesel engine and the engine oil suffer big time.

Few years ago, my friend's baby sized mega yacht ( 115 feet ) using MTU common rail diesel, total 24 injector nozzles were replaced after only 2,000 hours of use and it cost him US$75,000.
His cruising location has no access to the best diesel fuel we car dudes can buy from Shell or Pertamina ( state oil company ), they needed to buy from marine fuel brokers and albeit the price is international price, the fuel quality is crap.
In clean fuel and low sulfur level countries, diesel injectors on yachts surviving to 4,000-8,000 hours is common.

Leaky GDI fuel injector is my number 1 fear, as that can kill a cylinder fast.

So anyone done proper GDI injector test ?

I do not mean this kind of crappy FPI injector bench tester claiming to be able to do GDI. Only 10 BAR pressure , what a joke.
https://newsmartsafe.com/maintenance...ner-and-tester
This one is cheap, I can buy similar one for under US$2,500 in my country.

Thanks.....

The following users liked this post:
Rickman30 (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,204 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
No one does what you do. We all wait for symptoms to develop. That said, how often would you test yours? With your low mileage, why not just replace all six on a time or mileage basis? That seems to be cheaper. Maybe you can send the ones you pull to be tested and have a set of spares if they are OK. Then just rotate them through FCP.
Old 07-11-2024, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, if such service like Injector Rehab.com is available in my country, I would do it at year 10th and once more at year 14th most likely.

Agree with you....
I was thinking to buy 6 new ones and keep the current old ones as spare, by year 12th or 2026.

In fact I am also looking at new engine computer for back up in the next 2 years. I fear MB stop selling them when I need it God knows when.
I seen US cars having stop sales of important modules ( Pine Hollow videos ) for a car only 10 years old...damn, that is evil !!
Its cheap the ECM, US$1,100 only in USA if I can bypass/qualify for the theft-relevant parts thingy. I want new one not used one.
https://www.mbpartscenter.com/oem-pa...ecm-2769007300
Then the old one I can send to a capable workshop to replace all its capacitors, the weakest component of the ECM in terms of aging by years.

MB Indonesia typically charge US$3,500 for a M272 ECM which many goes bad usually after year 10-12th , as such that is why The Grilled ECM nickname came to be.
Local call it the grilled ECM, due to its hot location at the V bank, which is the same as our M276.820

Rickman30 (07-12-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 11:15 AM

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
S212 E300
Unwound think a leaky injector would quickly show up on the lambda values when comparing banks, as well as the smooth running values in xentry. As long as those values are healthy, and injector times are not deviating from a known normal, it would not make sense to me to test the injectors.
Old 07-11-2024, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The closed loop lambda sensor will only operate about 12 seconds after engine COLD start

Note : My Banks Gauge does not read Mercedes AFR properly, it gives opposite value so I never log it.

Assuming the leak is very very little, the fear is the lubricant at cylinder liner getting fuel-washed when engine shut down , as the fuel rail pressure is still high.
So at every engine cold start , the on purpose rich burn protocol of a GDI may mask the very minor injector fuel leak.
Sometimes I hear like the engine "burping" at 3rd second of engine Cold Start, maybe some people call it fish-bite misfire. Its not always I get that "burp" and its only less than 1 second duration, very fast.
However I think that "burp" is simply a cold engine using open loop fuel mix estimate.

If I go by bad fuel trim and Xentry smooth running showing issues, I think the leak would be too much already.

Also a proper GDI injector bench tester can do more than just leak test, it can refresh/regenerate the piezo stack and much more.
https://injector-rehab.com/knowledge...fuel-injector/

Also I guess me hands are always itchy

Last edited by S-Prihadi; 07-11-2024 at 12:10 PM.
Rickman30 (07-12-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 01:20 PM

S212 E300
Originally Posted by S-Prihadi

Assuming the leak is very very little, the fear is the lubricant at cylinder liner getting fuel-washed when engine shut down , as the fuel rail pressure is still high.
Such a leak would be visible as a rapid drop of pressure after shutdown. There is no gas in the fuel rail which can expand, so any leak of actual fuel will lead to a very rapid loss of pressure.

Removing injectors just for testing them could get expensive for very little gain. You’ll crush the fuel rail fittings an extra time, reducing their lifespan. Also, if you follow MB instructions, you’ll have to replace the teflon seals and springs etc, which costs about $30 per injector (if I remember correctly).

Then again, I would be interested in what the test results would be, as these GDI injectors are sensitive to debris and wear..
Old 07-12-2024, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If we loose 1 drop per hour, 20 drops is only 1 milliliter and the total volume in the 2 fuel rail is I think easy 20-30 milliliters...yes ?

Also, by design the fuel rail/HP pump does loose pressure overnight.

I think a very very minor leak is difficult to detect...damn

Yes, the seals are not cheap for the injectors. I have all the special tools already, teflon seal install tool, injector puller tool, and including the drift tool, 3 months special order, below :

Last week I used my M276 injector teflon seal tool for M271.8 GDI injector...its compatible, but the injector puller is different.

BTW Jeedie,
I kept thinking of your fuel rail being clogged during your misfire adventure. How can the fuel filter bypass such dirt size ? It kinda bothering me.
This tasos video is almost the same case as your engine, the input for the fuel rail is clogged, but this engine has 2 HP fuel pumps.

Start at 6:22

The 2 HP pumps replaced too, no choice.

Rickman30 (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 02:23 AM

Received 244 Likes on 145 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
This should be a recommended service everywhere.

Most fuel related issues go unattended, like "As long as the car is in fuel control" mentality in flat rate mechanics exists, they are ignored till failures mount to a "The car is not worth spending that much on repairs".

Because oil dilution slowly wore away bearings, scored cylinders and cam lobes when an injector health test would have prevented it all, or piston crowns burnt away because of injectors causing LSPI, and many a junkyard calls for used engines would not need happen as much.

But for the sake of keeping mechanics employed, don't do this...Or, choose to extend the life of your engine and do it.

But that's my opinion...
S-Prihadi (07-12-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 04:45 AM

S212 E300
Originally Posted by S-Prihadi
BTW Jeedie,
I kept thinking of your fuel rail being clogged during your misfire adventure. How can the fuel filter bypass such dirt size ? It kinda bothering me.
This tasos video is almost the same case as your engine, the input for the fuel rail is clogged, but this engine has 2 HP fuel pumps.

Start at 6:22

https://youtu.be/N1TC4Zwtnng?t=382

The 2 HP pumps replaced too, no choice.
Great find! Tasos even seems to mention that he has seen a clogged rail before. This is actually the first time I find a similar issue online.

In this case, someone might have been in there before, as he mentions the injectors are claimed to be replaced.

In my case, someone had been working on the HPFP in the past, witnessed by the epoxy glue on the QV connector.

Ingress of dirt might be caused by a dirty work environment while working on the high pressure side. That cannot be ruled out.
Old 07-13-2024, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Agree....Probably the past person dirty job on the fuel system..

But do be aware that our fuel filter design is NOT GOOD if kept in fuel submersion too long, the dumb-azz filter element. Its sealing design is bad.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...el-filter.html