E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Reliability of W213?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
The new "C" Class has been rated very low in reliability, as has the new "S" Class.
Consumer Reports automobile issue comes out in April (actually in a couple of weeks), so you might want to see what it says. Just take it with several grains of salt.
As for electronics, such as navigation, audio, etc, the Asians have usually been way ahead of Germans. Germans do better on safety and performance though.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,232 Likes on 2,013 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by El Cid
The new "C" Class has been rated very low in reliability, as has the new "S" Class.
Consumer Reports automobile issue comes out in April (actually in a couple of weeks), so you might want to see what it says. Just take it with several grains of salt.
As for electronics, such as navigation, audio, etc, the Asians have usually been way ahead of Germans. Germans do better on safety and performance though.
CR is the dumbest thing to read when it comes to luxury cars. And their info is plain wrong.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Audi A4
Originally Posted by TonyMeister
The guy is about to hand his daughter his 12-year old deathtrap (His beloved jumped-up POS Camry didn't have stability control). What the hell is the matter with him?!
Look! It's a monster! Grab the women and children! Run for the hills!
You're funny.

Thank's for everyone's comments about their experiences. I really like what the W213 has to offer. I'll keep an eye on how the 2017 model performs.

I do realize there is a tradeoff here. I could go with a Lexus LS and get older technology that is very reliable, or go with a W213 that looks great and has cutting edge technology, but I need to make sure the dealership has a comfortable sofa.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not wrong.

Originally Posted by Wolfman
CR is the dumbest thing to read when it comes to luxury cars. And their info is plain wrong.
CR is sometimes inconsistent, but their database is one of the largest, most extensive and most objective of any in US, maybe the world.
However, up until a few years ago, they reported reliability on E350 and E550 separately. Now they lump them together under E Class.
Problem with that is the E350 had above average reliability while E550 had below average.
CR has been very, very kind to luxury makes. Infiniti M series for years was rated very highly, as were the Lexus ES and LS. Audi rates very highly. New MB S Class rated very highly on their tests, but OWNERS reported many problems.
Same with Tesla (CR is obsessed with it), but the OWNERS reported significant reliability issues.
Ironically CR gave very high ratings to E Class W211. Then about 10 points lower for 2010 W212 and then rated it highly again a couple of years later when they rated the diesel version. The difference between the three: W211 was comfort suspension, 2010 was sports suspension and diesel was comfort suspension again.
They test cars for days or weeks and then let different staffers drive them for months and report.
Is CR totally objective and perfect? Absolutely not, but their information is at the top for what owners have actually experienced. They also require a minimum number of owner reports on each model for each year before they report the data.
For those interested, pick up a copy of the April issue. They also publish special issues on Used Cars and New Cars that contain reliability information.
I do not work for CR, but the OP wanted to know about reliability. CR is a good source for that.

Last edited by El Cid; 02-22-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The April (car) issue of CR is out. Once again they have changed the manner in which they rate cars. Also, they previously reported the V6 separately from V8 or just the V6 for reliability.
While there is a lot I disagree with in their information, it does make for interesting reading.
Of course, this only covers the W211 and W212 models. So W213 is an unknown.
For a good expectation, look at ratings for S and C classes as to how well MB does when rolling out a new model.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:26 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Consumer Reports stinks

Considering CR will show different ratings for the *exact same* appliance, with the only difference being the nameplate stuck on the front of it, their testing methodologies are utterly and completely worthless.

If they're too dumb to realize that two washing machines, refrigerators, or air conditioners are exactly the same design, exact same parts minus decorative trim, why on Earth would anyone trust them with something as complex as a car. Even a 1950s car, for that matter.

As to the W213, there WILL be problems. Guaranteed. The question is how quickly Mercedes comes up with a remedy AND will Mercedes ever bother to properly fix it or will they completely ignore it like the W212's transmission & AC stepper motors.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not the same

Originally Posted by BeachBunny
Considering CR will show different ratings for the *exact same* appliance, with the only difference being the nameplate stuck on the front of it, their testing methodologies are utterly and completely worthless.

If they're too dumb to realize that two washing machines, refrigerators, or air conditioners are exactly the same design, exact same parts minus decorative trim, why on Earth would anyone trust them with something as complex as a car. Even a 1950s car, for that matter.
Not correct. CR notes when they evaluate two cars with basically different "nameplates." Example would be most GMC vs. Chevrolet vehicles, some Hyundai and Kia models, some Ford and Lincoln models, etc.
The difference between CR and other rating sites is that CR purchases the car outright, lets several employees drive is for about 2,000 miles and give their opinions and then they put on the test track and other evaluations.
CR does a more thorough evaluation of the vehicle than any other magazine or site out there. I have subscribed to or used all of them at one time or another.
Are they biased - absolutely, but still the most objective reviews and reports, especially regarding reliability. Their reliability, satisfaction, etc. reports come from actual owners - hundreds of thousands of them. Not from fanboys. Incidentally, I still question their "satisfaction" ratings, but it does come from owners.
You really need to pick up the April issue and read it thoroughly. Might add that the "E" Class is one of most highly spoken of cars in CR's reviews and reports.
If all you are interested in is 0-60, top end speeds, etc., there are plenty of magazines and websites that consider that as the holy grail and ignore the rest.
Happy Motoring (and redaing)!
Old 02-28-2016, 01:08 AM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
I stand by what I said.

...and I've seen this pattern repeatedly with CR over the past 20 years. Not just once, repeatedly.

Maybe they mention the similarities with cars. I doubt they have ever mentioned that the Mercedes V6 "350" engine is shared w/Chrysler. Or that up until ~2014, the US E350 *was* using Chrysler parts. Since they're using the same part, the reliability should be similar. They're not according to CR.

When CR's ratings repeatedly don't mirror what I'm seeing in insurance claims, repair techs/mechanics' reports, and sales feedback, I question the validity of their methodology.

There are some people who are quite fans of CR. I'm not one of them.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am not a fan of CR. In fact, I vehemently disagree with their giving advice on which medications people should and should not take, but that is another issue. Also, disagree with their road test review and rating for Tesla S.
In what capactity do you see insurance claims, repair reports and sales feedback? Also, how much of it?
CR surveys hundreds of thousands of vehicle owners for their actual personal experiences.
While Chrysler and MB V6 may have "shared parts," more likely they were MB parts or manufactured to MB specs under DaimlerChrysler. Also, even if using the same parts, reliability is based on the entire component - not just pieces of it. Assembly would also factor greatly into reliability. Reliability should be the same if the entire component (engine, trans, etc.) and components it linked to were exactly the same. Doubt this is the case between Chrysler and MB products.
"Since they're using the same part, the reliability should be similar. They're not according to CR." Are you referring to overall reliability of the brand, a particular model or a specific component/system?
How many parts does MB "share" with Audi, BMW, VW, etc.? I had a Saab once and the dealership also sold BMW's. Service tech told me that many of the parts were exactly the same and had the same problems.
Considering your other posts re: your vehicle, seems you might have concerns about reliability of MB. Do you think it is rated too highly by CR?
As I implied in the beginning, CR is a source that is out there for anyone with questions about reliability.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just for reference, I checked my work orders since I got my W212 in Nov. 2009. There have been 13 repairs, updates, etc. Most were done during routine servicing, but two took three days and one took two days. All done as part of warranty.
There are six electronic gremlins that have never been resolved, but they went away-so far. The familiar No Problem Found or Unable to Duplicate.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY2017 16 Mercedes Benz E Class
Ownership experience

In 2011 we bought the 2011 Mercedes Benz e class cabriolet and absolutely no problems. Perfect car all round except we've got 5 in a family, the cab only has 4 seats. As Mercedes had just launched the facelift of te e class saloon, I thought why not upgrade. Turned out to be horrible. Within the first 6 months it had been in for repairs about 3-4 times with the same problem. The engine wouldn't change gear. The car would just keep revving even if you only had the accelerate slightly pressed. In any circumstance the engine would just rev and rev and even red line and bounce of the red line for about a minute before changing gears. Only way to solve it was to drive in manual mode, losing the comfort we wanted of an auto box. First time it went it. They said it was a small part needed changing. Next time was engine was rebuilt. Next time was engine and transmission was rebuil and the next time was the engine changed. The time after was the engine and transmission was changed. When it goes in for about 2 weeks and they give u cars that are a hassle to get and a hassle to give back and they give a c class instead an e class. I'm not too bothered but mum n dad weren't happy. They're the main drivers and I just take it every now and then. After that we just left it as well as still having the problem but not as bad and not as regular. After the 3 years mark we decided to upgrade and dad, against what I recommended, bought another e class. Had no problems with it until the other day where it just wouldn't start. You'd press the on button and it would switch the accessories on and that was it. Only until we all got out of the car, locked it and then started again. Then on the way home Id press the accelerator and the engine would just rev and the car wouldn't move. Almost as if the clutch was slipping. So time to call MB up to see what they say. I just realised that this is a lot longer than I expected. Sorry about that
Old 04-18-2017, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
What years and models are you talking about?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:45 PM

MY2017 16 Mercedes Benz E Class
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
What years and models are you talking about?

the Mercedes Benz E class Cabriolet was the Mercedes w212 prefacelift 2011
the Mercedes Benz that replaced that one was the w212 facelift. 2013
the latest one is the w213. 2016
Old 05-24-2017, 07:09 PM

C300, ES350
Originally Posted by Dema
Lexus is much less reliable car. ES was terrible car, it had very serious problems with brakes, wheels vibration, it aged inside to quick, it looked as 10 years old car just after couple years. LS was a bit better from this stand point.
This reads like satire. As a lurker I feel compelled to post reading this deluded post. I owned a 2003 ES and also have a 2014 ES and the Lexuses have given us zero troubles. Literally the only repairs we have done were wear and tear items like an alternator belt on the 2003 after 8 years. The 2014 ES has had zero repairs and looks like new inside. I honestly have no idea what you are talking about with the inside aging too quick bit. The interior uses great materials and the leather seats are holding up quite well with no tears or discoloration. And there is definitely no wheel vibration, it's smoother than cars double its price.

In contrast my wife has a 2015 C300 that has had 2 breakdowns and multiple repairs during routine maintenance.

It's literally a joke to say the Lexus is a less reliable car, especially the front wheel drive ES. No credibility whatsoever. MB can't touch Lexus in reliability. Fun to drive and prestige may be a different thing, but a Lexus with a 2GR-FE V6 is a tank that will run reliably for decades.

Last edited by Guineas; 05-24-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
E400 4Matic
Just to chime in - I had a 2008 Lexus ES300 for 12 years, and it had given me zero problems. My next car, a 2010 Lexus GX460, was a different story. Just after the warranty period ended (4 years), a power lock motor had failed. Like, those things are not supposed to fail after 4 years! A few months later, an engine part had failed and got the car into limp mode. The part cost $2000CAD to fix!! Just 2 months ago, the suspension system had failed, and would cost over $3000CAD to have it replaced. I got so freaked that didn't even think about getting another Lexus! So are all Lexus vehicles reliable? I would say not; it depends on the model of the vehicle. Are all German cars not as reliable as Japanese cars? No - again, it depends on the model of the car.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,095 Likes on 723 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by jeffj2h
I've been driving a 2004 Lexus ES330 since I bought it new 12 years ago. I'm considering handing it over to my 16yr old daughter next summer. I really like the new W213.

Given that I've lived with a hassle free car for a dozen years, I'm a little worried, and I'm interested in your opinions as experienced MB owners, what the reliability of the 2017 W213 E-class might be.

Opinions?

I was previously interested in the new C-class, W205, but there are way too many horror stories over on the W205 forum about that car.
Having owned a C class for 2 years my expiriece was so so. The engine and transmission were solid, my guess is that your chances of getting stranded are exceedingly low. Electronics particularly audio is iffy but Ive read that that is true of almost all brands. The airmatic required 2 trips for repair too, both times it too was an electronic glitch. My hope is that the E will have fewer teething issues given that though its a new model most of the systems are refreshed versions of stuff that is already on the S and C. Hoping that 3rd time is the charm. Historically the E has been the "reliable" Mercedes. I certainly dont expect to be a Yugo. Lexus reliabilty levels doubtful.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:59 PM
off

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Audi Q5 Hybrid
I currently drive a 2014 Lexus GS350 F-Sport. The 2GR-FSE is a fabulous motor, good low-end torque for a NA V6 and it is silent and vibration free. With that being said, the 2GR-FSE is a 12 year old design. However, the ride and handling compromise is excellent, I chose it over the BMW F10 on this reason alone.

However, the electronics are antiquated. The haptic mouse input system is terrible. My wife's Audi with Google maps and a Nvidia GPU is 10 years ahead of the Lexus.

Sure, the Lexus will most likely be more reliable, but it is using antiquated technology to do so.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:04 PM

c207
Thumbs down W213 made on late 2016

The W213 made on late 2016 are very unreliable.
Maybe models made on late 2017 will be better, but on the moment they are really buggy.

My W213 220d AMG kit.
Motor problems.. consumes oil.. 1 liter avery 10K miles
Suspensions problems... makes noise and vibrarios on the wheels.. this is a chronic problema for 19" Wheels
Internal noises on dashbooard.. rantles and squeachs on hot weather
The trunk is missalined and is dificult to close.

MB solved the trunk problem, and tried to skip repairs on motor and suspension problems.

Recomendation.. skip the AMG styling versions.

Skip new OM654 motor

Skip 19" and 20" wheels
Old 08-11-2017, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 122 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Originally Posted by msant1972
Maybe models made on late 2017 will be better, but on the moment they are really buggy.

My W213 220d AMG kit.
Suspensions problems... makes noise and vibrarios on the wheels.. this is a chronic problema for 19" Wheels

MB solved the trunk problem, and tried to skip repairs on motor and suspension problems.

Skip new OM654 motor

Skip 19" and 20" wheels
Do you really think i qt. every 10,000mi is high oil consumption? They must have laughed at you with that complaint.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:25 PM

c207
Wink

Originally Posted by petee1997
Do you really think i qt. every 10,000mi is high oil consumption? They must have laughed at you with that complaint.

Well when you get stuck on the side of the road, on a new car with just 4 months and 10K miles.. they don't think is funny. I didn't either.

On the previous model W212 the oil consuption was someting like an liter every 16K miles.. so I didn't have to refill between maintance services.

Now I travelled back in time to my old beatle with the traditional oil bottle in the trunk.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,095 Likes on 723 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Unlike my C400 my E43 arrived in flawless condition and has been flawless for its initial 4000 miles. My C had minor issues such as a partially non functional radio almost right out of the gate. My car is a 17. Knock on wood it will continue so. The E class has traditionally been the most reliable Benz but given that its a new model, all bets are off. It seems they have polished their act since its the last major model to get the "new" makeover.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213

My W213 220d AMG kit.

Skip new OM654 motor

Skip 19" and 20" wheels

So let me get this straight, based on the opinions and experiences with the one (1) vehicle you own you feel that it is correct to call the 2016 W213 unreliable?

Let me tell you this, we have sold hundreds of W213 since launch, some very early cars had their share of issues, all adressed with SB.s from Daimler,
since then the model has been truly solid and is very similar in reliability to the now well proven 205 series.

No vehicle is perfect, and remember to not use a brand forum to get an opinion on how good a car is by reading the comments alone, it is much easier to complain than to praise and it will not give a true picture of the vehicles quality.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Well when you get stuck on the side of the road, on a new car with just 4 months and 10K miles.. they don't think is funny. I didn't either.

On the previous model W212 the oil consuption was someting like an liter every 16K miles.. so I didn't have to refill between maintance services.

Now I travelled back in time to my old beatle with the traditional oil bottle in the trunk.
You were stuck on the side of the road because of being a quart low in oil? Please explain..
Old 08-12-2017, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 628 Posts
If you have 10,000 miles on the vehicle, oil level should be perfect because 10,000 miles is when the A Service is due. It sounds like the vehicle is not being maintained according to the required maintenance schedule.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:02 PM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
Originally Posted by ua549
If you have 10,000 miles on the vehicle, oil level should be perfect because 10,000 miles is when the A Service is due. It sounds like the vehicle is not being maintained according to the required maintenance schedule.
220d service interval is 15000 miles in UK, assume same in kilometres across Europe. Been a long time since I've had a car that needed 10000 mile service intervals, 20000 is the norm now for many cars.
The following users liked this post:
grange3 (08-12-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Reliability of W213?