E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2017 E300 Having issues with NFC wireless charging pad for my phone.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E300 4matic
2017 E300 Having issues with NFC wireless charging pad for my phone.

I just got my brand new 2017 E300 4matic and was excited to use its new features, including the NFC wireless charging pad.

The problem is, the first time I placed my phone (Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+) onto the charging pad, it charged for about 5 seconds before it stopped charging with the message "Wireless charging paused." The charging then restarts, and after a few seconds pauses again. This cycle is nonstop until I remove the phone from the charging pad.

My phone has charged without issue on other wireless charging pads (like the ones they have at the counters at Starbucks, for example).

I looked through several online Samsung forums to figure out if it was my phone...it does seem that some Samsung phones of the current generation have issues with wireless charging and several "Fixes," so I tried them all -

Activate NFC on your phone...
Put your phone into Daydream/Screensaver mode, so the screen stays on while charging...
Place something between your phone and charger in case it is too close...
Remove the phone case (my phone doesn't have a case)...
Put the phone into Battery saving or Ultra battery saving mode...
Turn off your phone and charge it that way (which isn't ideal at all)...
Wipe the phone cache...
Restart the phone, including "Safe mode"
Some people have suggested the the amperage output from the charging pad may not be sufficient for my phone...
I even spoke with Samsung Customer Service who suggested maybe I should go to the Verizon store and have them factory reset my phone (which other people have said didn't work)...

I contacted the dealership and they are "looking into it," but I'm not expecting a real solution from them. The Mercedes Operator's Manual mentions pressing on the car's NFC logo to activate the NFC charging (the logo in the car is simply that - an NFC insignia - no button, no indication from the car that anything has been pressed or touched that I can see after I touch the logo).

This was one of the features I was looking forward to using because it's one of the things that sets the new car apart from the previous generations. Honestly, it's been pretty frustrating. I was wondering if any new E-class owners may have had any similar issues?

Thanks

Last edited by arjunkhosla; 07-31-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Sorry to hear about your trouble with this. Even though I don't have this feature so I can't really contribute from experience, I am interested in the outcome as I was looking forward to this convenient feature on future cars.

How of the contact between the center back of your phone and the pad? Do you have access to another phone to test? That way you're potentially eliminating your phone as the problem.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
soon to be E300
is your phone sitting flat on the charger? i have a note5 with a case and it seems to be to tall to fit flat, and i constantly get the charging beep noise. I haven't taken it out of the case and tried it but it sounds like its doing the exact same thing.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:25 PM

2017 E300 4matic
thefisch: Yes, the phone is sitting directly on the pad - I would like to test with someone else's phone, but my fiancee has an iPhone. Maybe I'll buy one of those special cases that can be used with iPhones for wireless charging to test it out.

justinm001: Exactly! It is constantly beeping from the on/off of the charging and ends up losing charge in the process. My phone doesn't have a case, so it fits just within the area and sits flatly on the rubber mat of the charging pad. I've tried all kinds of angles, placing it in head first vs. bottom first within the compartment, upside down, etc. but with no success. I'm not sure the amperage output of the Mercedes charging pad, but that might give us a clue as to whether it will even work with our "phablet" style phones.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
I have used some of the samsung chargers with my S6 in other applications, including a retrofit into the storage compartment on my '91 tercel so I could wirelessly charge the phone under the radio. If I use a case I get that, without the case it's close enough to stage charging constantly. Interested to see what the resolution is, my phone charges well without the case but I don't have a w213 so I can't be of too much use. I work at a dealer now so i'll experiment with it and see what I find, since i have the same phone.
The following users liked this post:
arjunkhosla (07-31-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 05:51 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E300 P03
I have the same issue with my Samsung Note 5.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:08 PM

soon to be E300
Originally Posted by ADD0514
I have the same issue with my Samsung Note 5.
I took my UAG Cass off my note5 and it was charging fine, seemed to work both USB facing me and the other way. with the case on sometimes it works fine and others it goes in and out constantly.

Even with it working fine it doesn't really charge the phone, just maintaina charge. The USB charge a lot faster. I usually use a Qualcomm QC 2.0 charger as they're much faster.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Yeah the current Qi form factor is .5 amp, the standard usb charger is 1 amp, the fast ones are 2 amp. And you lose about 20-30% to heat using inductive charging. So it will always charge slower than wired charging. It's very nice to just set your phone down and have it charge though. As the standards improve it will get better, but right now it heats the phone up too much to charge harder.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:27 PM

soon to be E300
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Yeah the current Qi form factor is .5 amp, the standard usb charger is 1 amp, the fast ones are 2 amp. And you lose about 20-30% to heat using inductive charging. So it will always charge slower than wired charging. It's very nice to just set your phone down and have it charge though. As the standards improve it will get better, but right now it heats the phone up too much to charge harder.
Is the QI 5V .5A? Also do you know what the USB port for the android auto, and the 2 in the center are rated at? I haven't had a chance to check the amperage of them.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Unsure what the factory USB ports charge at, most of the audio ports on cars don't have much power at all and aren't designed to charge anything.

I could be mistaken but I think the minimum amperage for QI standard is .5 amp. You could always run more through it but you have to have at least that much to call it compatible with QI capable devices.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:27 PM

soon to be E300
Just tested with new note 7 and its working fine both without and with a UAG case. Just got the case today so havent had much time to tesr but no issies so far.
arjunkhosla (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 11:04 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
I know my Note 4 was charging fine when I took a ~30 minute test drive.

I didn't even know the car had QI charging and just automatically tossed the phone in the ashtray area and the phone boo-beep'd and showed the wireless charging message on the screen.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 E CLASS, 4-Matic, P3.
Don't have our Merc yet to test, but we bought a 2016 Tacoma last October and it has the same issues with the Galaxy 6. I don't even try to find the sweet spot anymore and just went back to keeping a USB cable in the truck. Would get it to work occasionally, but once on a 2 hour trip, it took forever and got hot. Went to LA last December and the freeway was so bumpy, there was no way it even could charge. We have 2 Galaxy 6's and at home, they work perfectly on a fast charger or the charging pad.

Was disappointed when we went to the E300 unveiling back in June and they said, the charger was not designed to fully charge the phone, only maintain the charge the phone, which seems really odd. Guess if you had a fully charged phone to start with, you'd be fine. But if you had a drained phone and wanted to fully charge it, you'd be out of luck. So guess I'm not that excited about it anyway as I'll have to keep a cable to get a full charge. Won't be getting a new phone for a while, but hopefully the next one will work.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:33 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Originally Posted by DMRDSM
Was disappointed when we went to the E300 unveiling back in June and they said, the charger was not designed to fully charge the phone, only maintain the charge the phone, which seems really odd. Guess if you had a fully charged phone to start with, you'd be fine. But if you had a drained phone and wanted to fully charge it, you'd be out of luck. So guess I'm not that excited about it anyway as I'll have to keep a cable to get a full charge. Won't be getting a new phone for a while, but hopefully the next one will work.
I use wireless chargers at home, hotels, and at the office. These are the primary way I charge my phone. Indeed, they do charge slower than hardwired, especially the Qualcomm Quick Charge 9v chargers, but they DO charge the phone fully. The only time my phone's physically plugged in is if I'm in the car and actively using it or if I'm at an airport and need to charge FAST.

Remember, generally, it's better for the battery to charge it slowly than rapidly. For those whose phones have non-replaceable batteries, this should be a big concern.

Yes, wireless charging will warm up the phone since it's using an induction element. This is the same way an induction cooktop works, just at a much lower output power. I have noticed some induction chargers (and induction receivers) generate more heat than others. My phone gets FAR warmer connected via USB and charging on my dash/windshield mount than it does when charging wirelessly.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DMRDSM
Was disappointed when we went to the E300 unveiling back in June and they said, the charger was not designed to fully charge the phone, only maintain the charge the phone, which seems really odd.
I think maybe you received some bad info regarding the wireless charging. I've used the E-Class to charge my iPhone using a Qi case and it will certainly charge the phone, not just maintain it. Yes, it is slower than with the USB, but certainly charges and is very convenient.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:36 PM

soon to be E300
It all depends on your phone. I'm betting the QI charger is only 500ma 5V. Sure it might fully charge a phone but it'll most likely take 8 hours to charge. Newer Samsungs support fast wireless charging as well as quick charge 2.0 and 3.0 which can charge under an hour. If you're using Waze, and bluetooth audio while on the charger I doubt it'll actually charge.

Also I noticed the QI charger seems to have an air vent to keep the phone cool in there. Definately a nice feature
Old 09-05-2016, 01:31 PM

2017 E300 4matic
Well, I had gone to the dealership a couple of weeks ago and they looked at the NFC charging for a couple of hours, but weren't able to figure out the problem.
I took it back this weekend because they wanted to take a more thorough look - they said that they've been getting some complaints because it seems that certain cars are very particular with regard to the positioning of the phone within the compartment (some have to be placed further left, others more in the middle, and others to the right of the charging pad - they said they tested it and it was now working). I was excited that they had found a solution - but as it turns out, when I came to pick up my car, the phone still had the same issue of charging/pausing. I guess it is an issue with the phone (Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+)...hopefully the new phone update coming this fall will fix the problem.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 E350 wagon
Does any one know if the larger iPhone 6/7 PLUS will fit in the NFC pad?
Thx
Old 12-16-2016, 05:28 PM

Received 204 Likes on 154 Posts
2021 GLE350, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300 Sedan
Iphone 6 Plus does not fit into the pad. I use it with my Galaxy S7 and it works fairly well - occasionally exhibits the behavior that the OP described, but not on a regular basis.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
even if the iphone 6 fits, I didn't think those had wireless charging.
Diesel Benz (12-18-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 08:54 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
E300, C63
Originally Posted by bah212
Does any one know if the larger iPhone 6/7 PLUS will fit in the NFC pad?
Thx
I had the iphone 6 plus and now have the iphone 7 plus and they both fit fine on the pad even with a case.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E350 4matic
Thumbs down 2017 E300 Axle Broke under 500 miles

I bought 2017 E300 in January 2017. It has only 500 miles. All of sudden last week, I was pulling out of my driveway. I heard rumbling noise from the front well and sounded like something is broken and grinding. Pulled over, stopped the engine, and checked the wheels. they look normal and nothing was visibly wrong. I thought, I hit some object and back and started the car. As soon as change gear to drive (with the leg on the brak), I heard the same noise. It really scared me. the dash was displaying "Lost Brake". I had it toed to the nearest dealer. According to them, the axle was broken. They replaced the part after keeping the car for a couple of days.
I am really shocked to know that the axle is broken for a brand new car with only 500 miles on it. MB can not claim the slogan "Best or Nothing".
The dealer was nice and helped with the transportation, fixed the car, and apologized for the inconvenience.
I just want share this experience with the users and prospective buyers.
BeachBunny (03-09-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 11:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 E350, 2019 GLC 300
I realize this is an old thread, but has anyone found any sort of solution to reliably use the wireless charging. My phone is a Galaxy S7 edge and it will intermittent change and cycle with the charging notification sound.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2017, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Do you use a case? They often interfere with the wireless function. The phone needs to lay directly on the pad in most applications to keep the charging circuit going.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 E350, 2019 GLC 300
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Do you use a case? They often interfere with the wireless function. The phone needs to lay directly on the pad in most applications to keep the charging circuit going.
Thanks - seems unrelated to case etc. I've tried without case and even without that rubber pad that is in the space. More often than not it's intermittent but occasionally it seems to be working. My next step is to try with other compatible phones.