E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

New I4, I6 and V8 Engines Revealed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
True, the back seat is there for children or small people. If someone needs to constantly haul adults over long distances, this is not the car for them. I seldom use the back seat as there is only the two of us. If you fall into the empty nester category the CLS's driver experience and its combination of luxury and speed can be just the ticket (no pun intended!).
Old 11-20-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 E300 4matic Sport
Originally Posted by shortspark
True, the back seat is there for children or small people. If someone needs to constantly haul adults over long distances, this is not the car for them. I seldom use the back seat as there is only the two of us. If you fall into the empty nester category the CLS's driver experience and its combination of luxury and speed can be just the ticket (no pun intended!).
I agree!

I am an empty nester but even before that, I always enjoyed a fast, fun ride. I have been fortunate to have various Porsches in my garage for over 30 years.

For me when I think about a MB, I want a solid, safe, reliable and comfortable ride. I have had 5 E Class and they all have met my aforementioned expectations. We have a new E300 on order and hope I continue to have a great ride with the new E.

After 175 miles of seat time in a new E (a generous SA provided a loaner), I think it will be just fine.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carrera S, CLS550
Perfect for kids though.

that's why i got one.

long road trips with wife and kids.

look, when you are driving from SFO to LA

or to remote places like Yosemite, Yellowstone, Death Valley, etc.

you want something that is comfortable but also can cruise at a decent pace

the CLS is perfect for that

the E400 would have been fine if MB USA offered it
Old 11-23-2016, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by Cheesehead
It is partly naked money grab

"forcing" people to step up to an AMG E43 when they would rather have bought a decent 6 cylinder E400 or E450 instead

the E400 333 hp V6 was available at launch in Europe, Canada, and Asia since this spring.

i would have gladly bought one

however MB USA thinks the best way to push metal and make profit is to sign people up for 2 year E300 "lease specials" then either upgrade to an E43 AMG in one year or an E400 (with inline 6) in two years

partly MPG from Euros and Obama EPA

i too was in the market for an E Class

When I test drive I was literally shocked at how underpowered it was. My dad had every single E Class dating back to a five cylinder 300D in 1977.

E's have always been underpowered. They are very heavy and weigh close to 4000 pounds. But you always got a sense of solidity, safety, and longevity with these cars. My dad drove one in excess of 375,000 miles.

however when I drove that E300 it felt shameful. I thought to myself "Man. This thing is going to get outpulled by a BMW, a Honda, or a Toyota. It has the same friggin engine as a CLA, GLA, or Mom's C Class. Heaven forbid if a Tesla P85 D with "ludicrous" mode pulls up next to you."

so I shelved my E Class idea and was holding out for a 2018 CLS

when I found out the 2018 CLS was "6 cylinder only"

i changed course again again and ordered a 2017 CLS550

classic V8 400 hp 444 ft lb of torque

the 3 liter 6 cylinder engine can chew on that all day long

Where are you getting all this misinformation from? Where did you get it from that the 2018 CLS will be a 6-cylinder only? What E weighed 4000lbs that wasn't a V8 or AMG model?

Outpulled by a Honda or BMW? You do realize that every car in this class offers a 4-cylinder base engine of the same power right?

M