Notices
E-Class (W213) 2016 -

e300 spare tire?

 
Old 07-10-2017, 09:06 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 24
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 E400s4
e300 spare tire?

I hesitate to do any serious cross country travel in my 2017 e300 with run flat tires. I'm wondering if a spare tire, just tire and no wheel, would fit in the lower compartment of the trunk.
pet711 is offline  
Old 07-10-2017, 09:27 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 2,083
Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts
17 E43; 18 GLS550
I thought it did, I was wrong. Though the tires are runflat I keep a sealer and pump system. Plus there is always mbrace. Trust me you will get over spare anxiety.
c4004matic is offline  
Old 07-10-2017, 10:31 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 24
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 E400s4
Run Flat tires no problem if you don't get out much

NUMBER OF Mercedes-Benz DEALERS BY STATE:

WY: NONE. Casper, WY closest MB in Loveland, 172 mi.

ND SD ID: One in each.

AR KS MT NE NM OK ME MS: Two in each.

I wouldn't want to travel with a can of goo in any one of the above.
pet711 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (07-11-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 11:01 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 2,083
Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts
17 E43; 18 GLS550
Originally Posted by pet711 View Post
NUMBER OF Mercedes-Benz DEALERS BY STATE:

WY: NONE. Casper, WY closest MB in Loveland, 172 mi.

ND SD ID: One in each.

AR KS MT NE NM OK ME MS: Two in each.

I wouldn't want to travel with a can of goo in any one of the above.
That is if you think mb only provides emergency service from dealerships. I drive 20 thousand miles a year. In the last 30 years Ive had one flat that required using a spare.
c4004matic is offline  
Old 07-11-2017, 12:17 AM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 2,903
Received 426 Likes on 321 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450
Traveling outside of a large, metro area without a spare is simply NUTS! There are slow leaks, punctures and then there are road hazards that can SHRED a brand new tire. If you think "Earl's Fillin' Station" in Podunk, Wyoming is going to have a replacement in stock, you are in for a rude awakening. Sure, these things don't happen frequently, but it just takes one incident, at the wrong time & place, to truly mess up your plans, possibly put you in danger and if your family is with you, the risk goes up exponentially. No sir! I run conventional tires on my 2015 S550 and I carry an unused, compact spare in the trunk, along with a jack & tool kit. It takes up valuable trunk space, sitting on top of the trunk floor, seeing as how the FUxKING IDIOTS in Germany decdied to not even provide a SPACE for a spare, should an owner wish to have one, but it gives me peace of mind when out of town. Hopefully, I'll never need it, but, if I do, it will be worth its weight in gold.
Streamliner is offline  
Old 07-11-2017, 08:26 AM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,208
Received 239 Likes on 204 Posts
.
I live in the Tampa Bay area. Last year I shredded relatively new a tire in town. I was fortunate to have a spare because it took 4 days to get a replacement tire. I didn't need to check into a fleabag boarding house to await a replacement tire.
ua549 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 09:39 AM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Springboro, OH
Posts: 800
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
GLC 300 4matic, Corvette ZO6, GMC Envoy
Originally Posted by pet711 View Post
NUMBER OF Mercedes-Benz DEALERS BY STATE:

WY: NONE. Casper, WY closest MB in Loveland, 172 mi.

ND SD ID: One in each.

AR KS MT NE NM OK ME MS: Two in each.

I wouldn't want to travel with a can of goo in any one of the above.
You wouldn't consider a tire retailer?

In any case the local M-B dealer not the best place to be looking for a replacement tire, either conventional or extended mobility.
larrypmyers is offline  
Old 07-11-2017, 10:03 AM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,208
Received 239 Likes on 204 Posts
.
Originally Posted by larrypmyers View Post
You wouldn't consider a tire retailer?

In any case the local M-B dealer not the best place to be looking for a replacement tire, either conventional or extended mobility.
Mercedes Roadside Assistance is an excellent free service that includes roadside tire service, fuel and towing. Unfortunately there is a distance limitation.
ua549 is offline  
Old 07-11-2017, 10:18 AM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 2,903
Received 426 Likes on 321 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450
Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
Mercedes Roadside Assistance is an excellent free service that includes roadside tire service, fuel and towing. Unfortunately there is a distance limitation.
It doesn't matter, if the tire is damaged beyond repair. Even in a big city like L.A., many of the RFT MB uses can be difficult to locate. Out in the boonies? You are checking into the "No Tell Motel" for a few nights. There is absolutely no good reason that a company like MB cannot design their cars to accommodate and properly house a FULL SIZE, MATCHING, ALLOY spare, below the trunk floor, where one BELONGS on EVERY full size car.
Streamliner is offline  
Old 07-11-2017, 03:10 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 2,083
Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts
17 E43; 18 GLS550
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
It doesn't matter, if the tire is damaged beyond repair. Even in a big city like L.A., many of the RFT MB uses can be difficult to locate. Out in the boonies? You are checking into the "No Tell Motel" for a few nights. There is absolutely no good reason that a company like MB cannot design their cars to accommodate and properly house a FULL SIZE, MATCHING, ALLOY spare, below the trunk floor, where one BELONGS on EVERY full size car.
Its like windows with hand cranks, most manufacturers are dispensing with the spare. You dont have to replace an RFT with another RFT. In a pinch you can replace it with any tire of the same size. We can ***** and moan all we want its...... "progress". One point Id like to make again, Im averaging 1 episode of using a spare in the last 400000, thats, 400 THOUSAND miles . I think those are pretty good odds. In fact my chances of getting killed in a car accident are much are about 40000 times higher given that your odds there are 1% lifetime odds.
I guess if you drive every day on a highway next to a road spike factory your level of worry should be a little higher
c4004matic is offline  
Old 07-11-2017, 03:15 PM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 2,083
Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts
17 E43; 18 GLS550
Originally Posted by c4004matic View Post
Its like windows with hand cranks, most manufacturers are dispensing with the spare. You dont have to replace an RFT with another RFT. In a pinch you can replace it with any tire of the same size. We can ***** and moan all we want its...... "progress". One point Id like to make again, Im averaging 1 episode of using a spare in the last 400000, thats, 400 THOUSAND miles . I think those are pretty good odds. In fact my chances of getting killed in a car accident are much are about 40000 times higher given that your odds there are 1% lifetime odds.
I guess if you drive every day on a highway next to a road spike factory your level of worry should be a little higher

Jinxed it, Ill probably get a non drivable flat tomorrow
c4004matic is offline  
Old 07-11-2017, 03:33 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,208
Received 239 Likes on 204 Posts
.
I get an unrepairable flat once or twice a year with mostly town driving on good roads (no potholes).
Fortunately, the road hazard warranty I got when I last bought tires covers replacements.
ua549 is offline  
Old 07-11-2017, 05:17 PM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So, if my old school mentality feels that a real spare tire would increase my comfort level, how do I identify specifically what rim, tire (compact) and tools would I need. I have an E300 2017 sedan 4wd. Currently i have the 18" run flats. Thanks in advance.
etaynor is offline  
Old 07-11-2017, 06:26 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,208
Received 239 Likes on 204 Posts
.
Here is my post from last February.
There are many different tire sizes available to maintain the proper diameter to match the factory tires. For my size the diameter is 26.7". I located the bolt pattern specs. They are: 5x112 bolt pattern with 66.6mm center bore. Tire Rack does not sell compact spare tire rims, only tires. The matching tire is a Continental CST 17 size T145/60R20.
ua549 is offline  
Old 07-11-2017, 06:39 PM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 2,083
Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts
17 E43; 18 GLS550
Originally Posted by etaynor View Post
So, if my old school mentality feels that a real spare tire would increase my comfort level, how do I identify specifically what rim, tire (compact) and tools would I need. I have an E300 2017 sedan 4wd. Currently i have the 18" run flats. Thanks in advance.
In fact I agree, but trying to argue against something that isnt going to change is pretty futile
c4004matic is offline  
Old 07-11-2017, 07:37 PM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ontario,Canada
Posts: 1,484
Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
....19 CLS53, 18 E43
I could care less. Runflats do it for me since I am not about to change a tire. I would rather drive on the rim. Besides I haven't had a flat in 20 years. You guys worry too much.
petee1997 is offline  
Old 07-11-2017, 07:49 PM
  #17  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Springboro, OH
Posts: 800
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
GLC 300 4matic, Corvette ZO6, GMC Envoy
Originally Posted by petee1997 View Post
I could care less. Runflats do it for me since I am not about to change a tire. I would rather drive on the rim. Besides I haven't had a flat in 20 years. You guys worry too much.
Well, if your running runflats, you will not have to be concerned about driving on the rim.
larrypmyers is offline  
Old 07-11-2017, 08:59 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
NFAREVIEW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 288
Likes: 0
Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
2018 E300
1. You most likely have roadside assistance with your insurance
2. MB has roadside as well
3. Keep a gun in your car if your worried about breaking down in a bad part of town
4. Run flat tire will get you to a tire shop or dealer
5. There is no 5
NFAREVIEW is offline  
Old 07-12-2017, 01:44 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 305
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500. Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2
Friend had a flat on the way to Vegas with a s550 with wife and kids, 3hr trip took 11 hrs. Tire didn't exist in Vegas but luckly came in on the day they wanted to leave. He was fortunate to have had food and water while stranded until the tow truck came. He bought a spare tire from mb vegas and drove back.
Mbracer26 is offline  
Old 07-12-2017, 09:29 AM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,208
Received 239 Likes on 204 Posts
.
Originally Posted by NFAREVIEW View Post
1. You most likely have roadside assistance with your insurance
2. MB has roadside as well
3. Keep a gun in your car if your worried about breaking down in a bad part of town
4. Run flat tire will get you to a tire shop or dealer
5. There is no 5
Run flats have a severe range limitation if the tire sidewall isn't damaged. There are more places in the US that are NOT within 50 miles of a tire shop, let alone a tire shop that has run flat tires in stock. IMO run flat tires w/o a spare are strictly for metro use.
ua549 is offline  
Old 07-12-2017, 09:45 AM
  #21  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks UA549. I'll take your info to my local tire guy. Are there any specific tools that are needed to jack up the e300 correctly. And, are there MB part numbers for the tools?
etaynor is offline  
Old 07-12-2017, 10:17 AM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,208
Received 239 Likes on 204 Posts
.
Page 293 of the 2017 W213 owners manual makes reference to a provision for tire change tool kit located under the trunk floor. If available for sale in the US, your Mercedes dealer should be able to give you a quote.

An auto parts store should be able to provide you with a generic lug wrench and jack for much less cost.
ua549 is offline  
Old 07-12-2017, 10:39 AM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 2,903
Received 426 Likes on 321 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450
Originally Posted by etaynor View Post
Thanks UA549. I'll take your info to my local tire guy. Are there any specific tools that are needed to jack up the e300 correctly. And, are there MB part numbers for the tools?
I bought an unused W221 compact spare on eBay. It still has the special lug nuts shrink wrapped to it. I also purchased a brand new, genuine W222 jack & tool kit on eBay as well, from a supplier in Germany.

It is interesting-and depressing-to note, that MB in the USA will not even tell you the part number for a W222 compact spare, nor will they even admit that one exists, even though it does in other parts of the world. I feel like a child, being controlled and guided (MISguided) by an overbearing parent and I don't like it. I don't like it at all!
Streamliner is offline  
Old 07-12-2017, 11:50 AM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ontario,Canada
Posts: 1,484
Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
....19 CLS53, 18 E43
Some of you Americans are very fearful. Need a gun in the car, must live in a gated community and need a spare for run flat tires.
petee1997 is offline  
Old 07-12-2017, 11:59 AM
  #25  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 2,903
Received 426 Likes on 321 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450
Originally Posted by petee1997 View Post
Some of you Americans are very fearful. Need a gun in the car, must live in a gated community and need a spare for run flat tires.
Not fearful. Some of us are just smart and know the importance of being prepared for all eventualities, as every Boy Scout is taught.
Streamliner is offline  
The following users liked this post:
joebe (07-12-2017)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: